Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I check this thread on occasion because it's way too dense for me at times but I swear to God every single time I go to the last page I have to go back one because some weirdass had a meltdown

It's like I have a lovely superpower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Has anyone in modern history thought out a Holocaust analogy to something that is not even tangentially related to genocide, written it down, looked at what they've written and thought "probably not a good idea to make this analogy"? Because I'm not sure this has ever happened

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

latinotwink1997 posted:

Paying double my rent because of gas fees. Seems like a totally winning system.

but then you'll have a permanent record of your rent payment and lease on the blockchain! No other service can provide this

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Hi all,

I'm not going to say how I know this, but Donovan Trip is not seraph.

Whether or not it's wise for them to post this in the Bitcoin thread, that's a matter for debate. I don't generally police this thread much because y'all do a good job keeping this on track. If it becomes too much of a distraction, let me know and we'll take it from there, but from what I see it's just him popping in saying crypto is awesome and you all responding "lol u dumb", which is a valid response!

Keep on posting, pals :)

As a sidenote, I don't know poo poo about crypto, I just know that it sucks and it's funny when it plummets.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

im preparing my taxes but i dont know where to declare mined BTC on there??? is there a form i can request?

Don't declare it

you're an outlaw Dottie, a rebel, one who goes against the grain

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

i'm sorry but i can't get over that this is an over two hour youtube video

I barely stay interested for 10 minutes for most of them. How are people making and watching 2 hours??

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

there is an hour+ video about harry potter (and why its bad), and also a 3 hour, 33 minute 33 second video about deus ex human revolution. both are very entertaining to watch. you don't have to watch the whole thing in one sitting dawg

There is only one way to consume media!!!!!!!!!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

BigBadSteve posted:

A sensitive, heartfelt post I just made in the "Celebs promoting NFTs" thread:

:staredog:

No, no we are not doing Fourth Stimpire fanfiction of NFTs or whatever the hell I just read. Thank you for your cooperation, citizen.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

Somebody managed to gently caress over the granddaddy of all the ape scammers

https://twitter.com/lorenzofb/status/1518626162817355777

Hahahahahahahaha

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Grouchio posted:

1000 posts of Bitcoin in a week; what gigantic schad did I miss? :allears:

Nothing bad's happened. Bitcoin keeps going up up up!!!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1524104658029092865

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It is extremely worth quoting his reply as well: this was him making fun of crypto people, and at least one nationally famous crypto moron still believed it.

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1524588619603886080

Yeah that's the one I meant to post :cheers:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Scam upon scam upon scam upon scam upon scam :allears:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Deptfordx posted:

I am an Old, and had never heard of Tether till I idly wandered into this thread to see what the hell was happening with crypto.

This

is literally in the second paragraph of Tether's wiki article.

Literally WTF people?!?

Money breaks brains

People want lots of money and they don't want to think about the risks that entail getting large amounts of money quickly

honestly, you'd do better if you were in some criminal enterprise. At least there the cash flow is pretty solid and there's not a huge risk of losing it all (aside from an odd fed raid here and there)

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Guze posted:

Its Shrutebucks and StanleyNickels all the way down.

What's the ratio of apples to unicorns?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I bought Dogecoin last year on a lark when it was like .0045 and then it went up to like .0080 and I sold and made a minor profit

That's about the extent of crypto I've ever or will ever do

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

"i make way more money outside crypto" I say as I feverishly tweet about how much money I'm losing in crypto

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Eighty percent of innovation in the last two decades was "an app that allows you to avoid existing regulation."

and then most people realizing why those regulations exist in the first place

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

:stare:

This is art. Absolutely incredible.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Guze posted:

Going to leave work and exchange some FIAT for beer.

Yeah but will there be a blockchain record of you buying that beer? How can we ever know the beer is yours?

THINK SHEEPLE

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Had this stable coin for lunch and gotta say my return on investment is immeasurable

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Rad Russian posted:

Finally convinced my close friends last year to sell all their ARK stuff by linking an interview where she says that Jesus tells her every day what to buy and sell in her private conversations with him and God. Apparently, the name ARK wasn't a clue enough that she's a crazy fundie who got very lucky with Tesla.

:stare:

Ok I didn't know this tbh

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

HolHorsejob posted:

Can they dodge legal liability for quitting after poo poo hits the fan? As a party intended to lend a veneer of credibility to the company, can they be considered liable for rubber-stamping what is essentially securities fraud?

The answer is "maybe"

You have to define whether this is a security or not and the SEC hasn't really figured that poo poo out yet. Could it be fraud? Maybe, no idea! But their lawyers could maybe make the argument that they didn't have to abide by the Securities Act because they weren't securities and thus didn't have to be registered as such. But if your entire legal team quits en masse that says to me there's some waaaaaaay more shady poo poo going on that they couldn't justify anymore

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Guys! Let's all sign up for Costco memberships and then buy a whole bunch of bulk items and then buy out all the hot dogs and resell them for a profit!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Goodpancakes posted:

12 million new memberships required before you can buy the dog. Hmmm

So let's assume that each member will go in at the lowest level, which is $60/yr. This is equal to $720 million

So going by what someone said earlier, on average Costco sells 121 million dogs a year. Which is equal to $181 million

In this scenario, the multiverse brains at WSB will bankrupt Costco by giving them a $539 million dollar profit

No wonder they're HODLing GameStop and AMC

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

zedprime posted:

I want a time machine to 2000 to be the crazy guy with a sandwich board saying "Beeple's Twitter hacked to scam NFTs to capitalize on Madonna's vagina centipedes."

What the gently caress is wrong with history right now. God's activated the simulation cheat codes and is having a bit of fun before doomsday.

Honestly I think we're nearing the series finale for humanity so the writers are just getting drunk and throwing out to most random, batshit plotlines possible and the studio is accepting it because why not?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

i take it back nfts are good now

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

bobjr posted:

I’m also seeing way more commercials advertising Bitcoin as a normal banking thing.

The weirdest has got to be one where it was like your normal bank commercial about saving for retirement, but dropped terms like “He wants to know Stonks” and “What apes to buy” just super causally.

Gonna call up my financial advisor and ask him which stonks are going to the moon and which apes are on fleek

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Serious_Cyclone posted:

We're going to throw a Koosh ball around the room, and whoever catches it has to give the team an example of a good thing that Hitler did

lmao :thurman:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Donovan Trip posted:

hi guys, i haven't posted since december 2020 in this very thread. Since then I turned 8k into enough for a new car, a house, a restaurant, to start a family, and built a huge network leading me to take my first role at a crypto company in April. I hope you all had as great a time as I did!

Donovan Trip posted:

Sigh.

I will check back in another two years and let you know how it went, <3

Kinda wanna speed up the timeline here and get a trip report pls

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

vaporware as a business model?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Ughhhh this is the purestrain stuff. I love this. Inject it right into my veins.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

God this is like meth to me :sickos:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

lmao :kheldragar:

Celsius Owes $4.7 Billion to Users But Doesn't Have Money to Pay Them

https://gizmodo.com/celsius-bankrupt-billion-money-crypto-bitcoin-price-cel-1849181797

quote:

Celsius, the crypto trading platform that halted all withdrawals a month ago and filed for bankruptcy yesterday, has a $1.2 billion sized hole in its balance sheet, according to a bankruptcy filing and new report from the Financial Times. What does that mean for users? You’re probably not getting all your money back, if you see some at all.

Celsius lists $5.5 billion of liabilities in its bankruptcy filing, $4.7 billion of which is owed to Celsius users. The problem is that Celsius lists just $4.3 billion of assets, many of it illiquid, and that’s even assuming those have been calculated properly. A large part of Celsius’s holdings is in its own crypto token, also known as Celsius, which has taken a nosedive in the past year. And roughly $1 billion of assets are tied up in the company’s bitcoin mining center.

Celsius was notorious for offering absurdly high interest rates on crypto—as high as 18% in some cases—but it has to make increasingly risky bets to pay those off. Where did all the money go? Celsius explains in the filing that the company made bad gambles.

“Some of Celsius’ crypto is tied up in long term and illiquid crypto deployment activities; some of Celsius’ crypto assets have been loaned to third parties; and some of Celsius’ crypto assets have been pledged in support of borrowings or sold to generate cash used to acquire Bitcoin mining equipment and the GK8 storage business,” the filing reads.

“Because of the variety of asset deployment strategies the Company engaged in, including the terms and length of time those strategies ‘lock’ the assets, and due to the drop in value of digital assets, Celsius was unable to both meet user withdrawals and provide additional collateral to support its obligations,” the filing continues.

The bankruptcy filing notes that users who signed up for Celsius all agreed to terms of service that allowed Celsius to just stop withdrawals at any time. And it’s honestly a bit shocking to see it all laid out in the bankruptcy paperwork in such stark terms:

The terms of use that form the basis of the contract between Celsius and its users explicitly state that in exchange for the opportunity to earn rewards on assets, users transfer “all right and title” of their crypto assets to Celsius including “ownership rights” and the right to “pledge, re-pledge, hypothecate, rehypothecate, sell, lend, or otherwise transfer or use” any amount of such crypto, whether “separately or together with other property”, “for any period of time,” and “without retaining in Celsius’ possession and/or control a like amount of [crypto] or any other monies or assets, and to use or invest such [crypto] in Celsius’ full discretion.” A version of this statement has been in every version of Celsius’ “Terms of Use” since 2018. And since 2019, the Company has been clear that it might “experience cyber-attacks, extreme market conditions, or other operational or technical difficulties which could result in immediate halt of transactions either temporarily or permanently.”

Did you catch all that? You weren’t buying crypto and having Celsius hold it for you. You were transferring “right and title” of your crypto to the company.

One thing you won’t see in the bankruptcy filings is how much Celsius executives cashed out of their own crypto token over the past few years. Celsius co-founder and CEO Alex Mashinsky sold about $44 million worth of Celsius crypto since the company was founded, according to a recent report by the Financial Times.

Where does all of that leave users? Nobody knows for sure. But they’re in a long line of creditors, all hoping to salvage something from the Celsius mess. Oddly enough, Celsius says it wants to reorganize and bounce back as a company after all of this is done. But it’s tough to imagine anyone wanting to invest their money in a place that just made so many billions of dollars disappear.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

halokiller posted:

Jeffrey where's our GoonCoin™?, you know we will throw our money away for it.

bring back seraph, mint Gooncoin, forums will be funded forever

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

This is good for crypto!

SEC Charges Former Coinbase Manager, Two Others in Crypto Asset Insider Trading Action

quote:

Washington D.C., July 21, 2022 —
The Securities and Exchange Commission today announced insider trading charges against a former Coinbase product manager, his brother, and his friend for perpetrating a scheme to trade ahead of multiple announcements regarding certain crypto assets that would be made available for trading on the Coinbase platform.

The SEC’s complaint alleges that, while employed at Coinbase, Ishan Wahi helped to coordinate the platform’s public listing announcements that included what crypto assets or tokens would be made available for trading. According to the SEC’s complaint, Coinbase treated such information as confidential and warned its employees not to trade on the basis of, or tip others with, that information. However, from at least June 2021 to April 2022, in breach of his duties, Ishan repeatedly tipped the timing and content of upcoming listing announcements to his brother, Nikhil Wahi, and his friend, Sameer Ramani. Ahead of those announcements, which usually resulted in an increase in the assets’ prices, Nikhil Wahi and Ramani allegedly purchased at least 25 crypto assets, at least nine of which were securities, and then typically sold them shortly after the announcements for a profit. The long-running insider trading scheme generated illicit profits totaling more than $1.1 million.

"We are not concerned with labels, but rather the economic realities of an offering," said Gurbir S. Grewal, Director of the SEC’s Division of Enforcement. "In this case, those realities affirm that a number of the crypto assets at issue were securities, and, as alleged, the defendants engaged in typical insider trading ahead of their listing on Coinbase. Rest assured, we’ll continue to ensure a level playing field for investors, regardless of the label placed on the securities involved."

“In nearly a year, the defendants collectively earned over $1.1 million in illegal profits by engaging in an alleged insider trading scheme that repeatedly used material, nonpublic information to trade ahead of Coinbase listing announcements,” said Carolyn M. Welshhans, Acting Chief of the Enforcement Division’s Crypto Assets and Cyber Unit. “As today’s case demonstrates, whether in equities, options, crypto assets, or other securities, we will vindicate our mission by identifying and combatting insider trading in securities wherever we see it.”

The SEC’s complaint, filed in federal district court in Seattle, Washington, charges Ishan Wahi, Nikhil Wahi, and Ramani with violating the antifraud provisions of the securities laws and seeks permanent injunctive relief, disgorgement with prejudgment interest, and civil penalties. In a parallel action, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York today announced criminal charges against all three individuals.

The SEC’s investigation, which is ongoing, was conducted by Michael Brennan, Jennie B. Krasner, and Gregory Padgett, with assistance from Patrick McCluskey and Donald Battle. The case was supervised by Paul Kim, Joseph Sansone, Chief of the Market Abuse Unit, and Ms. Welshhans. The litigation will be led by Daniel Maher and Peter Lallas and supervised by Olivia Choe. The SEC appreciates the assistance of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York and the FBI.

all this for $1.1 million? Dude if you're gonna insider trade at least make more money off of it

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

an iksar marauder posted:

I like selling enough to recoup the initial investment so everything more is bonus money

i mean isn't this the entire point of investing? to recoup your initial money then get bonus?

I remember when I had excess money so I opened a market account with some money I had in savings... in April 2008 :smith:

It was not fun watching that implode.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Yes hi hello we know Seraph is back I'm waiting for the admins to come down from Olympus and consort with us mere mortals a couple things on my end before we can deal with this

thank you

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I would also like to point out that GBS had a two hitter yesterday in terms of reports and now you have to come in and be a poo poo seraph so good riddance!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Blotto_Otter posted:

anyway, the one CFTC commissioner who really loves shitcoins is pissed at the SEC for (correctly) trying to put some shitcoins under their purview, because she would prefer that they (incorrectly) remain under her purview, where she could continue to do nothing about them
https://twitter.com/leereiners/status/1550164974433193988

For those not in the know, this is part of the regulatory war between the SEC and the CFTC over who has jurisdiction of crypto. If the CFTC has their way, crypto would probably be mostly unregulated, and if the SEC has their way, it's gonna be full crackdown

For a regulatory battle it's actually kind of bloody!