Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've only encountered one person with any sizeable amount of bitcoin as an investment and they're pulling it out in chunks just fine. He's capped at 10k a day in trading, but he's still getting his funds out.

Why's he pulling it out? Bitcoin only goes up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
You can't sell on Coinbase in Australia. The guy that told me this also told me he bought $500 more coins the very next morning.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Salt Fish posted:

You can buy drugs with it on the internet.

I've heard you can't do this anymore due to price volatility, transaction backlog, super high fees and apparently people are just straight up ripping each other off due to the crazy price increase.

Edit: decrease

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

QuarkJets posted:

if you take the GDP of the entire world and then divide it by 21 million ......
ayyyy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6LOWKVq5sQ

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
WTF the attractive thin 140 IQ Bitcoin millionaire woman is not real :eyepop: :monocle: :wow:

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

WalletBeef posted:

Look, we all face evolutionary pressures from time to time, bitcoin really is no different. If you have a genetic predisposition to touching the poop, then you deserve to get poo poo on.

im not a Bitcoin millionaire due to superior genes :smug: :biotruths:

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Now seems like a good time to post this
https://www.instagram.com/bondi_bitcoin_brothers/

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

it's poker maths dude (not that hes necessarily wrong)

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Alpha Mayo posted:

If we break the green trendline, it plummets IMO. If not, we bounce back to the red line.

what subreddit did you get this from?

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

itotally forgot people used to mine bitcoin on usb sticks

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LODkVkpaVQA

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
data synchronisation issue? this wouldn't happen with Blockchain Technology™

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
all your money stolen from your bank account? overdraft fees? bitcoin users unaffected :grin:

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
baghodler*

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

AARO posted:

You think there is some me and you going on on these forums. There never was and never will be any me and you. You mean nothing to me.

:discourse: very good

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Afraid of advertising

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
I won $110 of eth in a twitch giveaway so I'm rich now. Suck it no coiners. Except it costs $15 in transaction fees to move it anywhere lol.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
A;ll of my bitcoins are virgin bitcoins, unfortunately.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
The PS5 has 600GB usable space for games, and NBA PS5 for example is 150GB. I think the digital only argument is overblown. That said I just order physical games from Amazon so GameStop has a behemoth to compete with in regards to selling physical games.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Klyith posted:

You know that the nextgen systems have to install 100% of the game onto the internal drive regardless of whether you have physical media or not, right?

(Also that installing giant games from bluray will take an hour, which is faster than most people's internet at least but still means you can't just put it in and play. If drive space was the only issue and someone preferred digital, the better solution is to get a cheap external HD and move games back and forth. Way faster than dealing with discs.)

OTOH if you are a bargain hunter there are better discounts and sales buying physical than there are digital on consoles, even if you ignore used.

No I did not know that - I guess that makes sense in the context of the ultra fast game loading. Oops so maybe it's not overlooked.

Last I read you can't put PS5 games on external drives, only PS4 games. Hopefully that will change.

As you said it would be easier to load/unload using a Bluray than downloading it.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Klyith posted:

You can't run them from an external drive, but you can move a game off onto the external to free up space on the internal and save having to download it again. To play it again you'd have to move it back to the internal, but that should only take 5-10 minutes.

And it will probably never change that the PS5 games can't run from external -- super fast storage is a big feature of the nextgen stuff and USB3 just isn't fast enough. However, the PS5 does have an extra internal slot for NVMe drives, the same as PCs use. If sony follows their recent pattern, that slot will be able to use generic non-proprietary drives for decently priced expansion. But for now the slot can't be used at all so it's impossible to say for sure.

(If sony are continuing to be nice, they're just waiting for more PCIe 4 drives to be available so they can release a list that says "these drives are fast enough to work as additional storage" that has move than like 3 things on it. If they're not gonna be nice you will have to buy some sony-only drive same as the xbox's proprietary and overpriced extra storage.)

Thanks for clarifying, that seems kind of painful

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Waltzing Along posted:

God drat Musk is a loving idiot. Got addicted to huffing his own farts and lost his mind.

I mean maybe he is but he's probably making more money pumping and dumping shitcoins in a totally not illegal way via twitter than he is making electric cars

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Jokes on them. Gas is FREE from my rear end

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Hash rate is up 30% in like a month, so get some cash while you can, it's unlikely the returns will stay this way as more people jump on for FREE MONEY

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Get your resonable opinions out of here. This is the thread for COPIUM and FUD.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
It's free money, free heat, free energy. Checkmate nocoiners.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Bright Bart posted:

Whelp, tried to transfer from Binance to another exchange and apparently it costs over $20 US dollars to send BTC.

Any suggestions? Other than just not using crypto.

Sell it and buy litecoin, transaction fees like $0.02 and pretty common across exchanges

And yeah BTC/ETH fees are ridiculous lol $20 each

EDIT this is you

salt shakeup fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 28, 2021

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Football teams are valuable because millions of people want to watch them. Just like how Bitcoin is valuable because millions of people want to own them. Hope that helps :cheers:

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
The best time to buy bitcoin was 10 years ago. The second best time is today.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Bitcoin is poggers.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

salt shakeup posted:

Bitcoin is poggers.

Oops read the thread. Apparently bitcoin is not poggers. Even worse, it's like Mt Everest.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
No it's more like a certificate of authenticity, and it's the future of art and collectable goods.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Salt Fish posted:

They're like pogs except you can't hit them with a slammer.

NFTs are pretty pog

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
NFT is a certificate of ownership and authenticity, that's it.

To help understand how it actually works (from reddit):

quote:

So here’s the actual contract according to Christie’s auction page. https://etherscan.io/address/0x2a46f2ffd99e19a89476e2f62270e0a35bbf0756#readContract

You input the NFT ID (40913) in the tokenIdToDigitalMediaRelease field and it gives you a media ID, then you input that media ID in getDigitalMedia and it gives you the IPFS hash of the JSON storing the NFT's information. In our case: QmPAg1mjxcEQPPtqsLoEcauVedaeMH81WXDPvPx3VC5zUz

Then you go to an IPFS proxy and enter it as a suffix, like: https://gateway.pinata.cloud/ipfs/QmPAg1mjxcEQPPtqsLoEcauVedaeMH81WXDPvPx3VC5zUz

then you can see the full sized image:

https://ipfsgateway.makersplace.com/ipfs/QmXkxpwAHCtDXbbZHUwqtFucG1RMS6T87vi1CdvadfL7qA

Warning: over 300 MB file.

And yes it was paid for in Ethereum, not "cash", as Christies specified Ether payments only. (auction page = https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/beeple-first-5000-days/beeple-b-1981-1/112924 )

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

ymgve posted:

You're misreading the auction page. "Please note that you may elect to make payment of the purchase price for this lot in the cryptocurrency Ether."

Oops my bad - though I did read that it was purchased with Ethereum in this case.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

ymgve posted:

nah, beeple seems to have made them all himself, dude seems to be some kind of weird art producing machine

though he seems to use quite a few copyrighted characters so disney might have something to say about it

I wonder if he could argue he didn't sell the art, just a token on the ETH network :D

Somfin posted:

It's a certificate in that there is something recorded somewhere, yes. But there is no assurance that the ownership chain leads to anyone who ever had legitimate claim to the object, that the certificate points to something that actually exists, or that another certificate does not also point to the same thing.

You can easily prove you have the private key and own that particular token, and you can easily check that the object exists too. That's a good point about making a duplicate token pointing to the same object, but again it's easily to check which is the authentic token on the hosting website.

Paladinus posted:

Just download the jpeg for free, lmao.

:siren: you're going to jail now :siren:

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Fame Douglas posted:

An NFT is not a certificate of ownership and authenticity at all. Just because you bought an NFT of something doesn't mean you actually own the artwork linked.

Hard disagree, that's literally what a NFT is. Whether you think it's valid or not is up to you, but someone just valued one at $69 million dollars.

Fame Douglas posted:

"Owning" some token with an URL means nothing to the legal system at all. And a duplicate NFT linking the same URL is just as legit as the first one, there's literally no difference but trust in the issuing authority.

Currently yeah it means nothing, so I'm curious what would happen if they did get sued, it would set the precedent. Well if the duplicate NFT is not linked as the official token on the issuing authority, it's not legit at all...

On a side note, I didn't know this was a thing - multiple editions of the same artwork - https://makersplace.com/marblemannequin/volatile-gold-26-of-50-53043/
I suppose it's like selling a limited number of prints :psyduck:

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Fame Douglas posted:

No, you can put the same hash value and URL on the Ethereum blockchain as many times as you like. An NFT doesn't prevent anything.

Yeah but if you go to the official website for the art and your token isn't listed, it's a bogus token.

Fame Douglas posted:

You seem to not know anything about anything. Copyright law doesn't care about NFTs, without some additional contract, buying a hash value don't provide anything.
Uhh that's exactly what I'm saying - it means nothing now because the legal and regulatory systems lag behind crypto. The NFT is literally the contract, that's the whole point.

orange juche posted:

So does it mean you own it, or don't own it? Please clarify your answer for the class.

You own the token, you own the artwork. It's a certificate of ownership and authenticity. R>C>P please.

Fame Douglas posted:

The only prerequisite for executing a smart contract on the Ethereum blockchain is providing the required amount of gas. You can launch your own NFT right now and claim to be the issuing authority for SA posts. Doesn't mean you can actually transfer any rights, but according to salt shakepup, that's just a small technicality the courts will surely rectify, going against all existing copyright.

Hey the wires got crossed on this one, I was talking about copyright in relation to another comment about the beeple artwork featuring Disney characters. But that is a good point, would the courts protect duplicate NFTs, or are they just worthless because they're not official. I have no idea, there's no precedent.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Did you see Bitcoin hit a new ATH of $60k poggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Actually it's insanely easy to cash out and have money almost instantly in your bank account.