Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
Could someone tell me how a Luna 2.0 would be worth anything more than 0 at launch? As all the cash is gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

I've read most of this thread and I still don't understand crypto mindset. At the end of the day crypto is worthless and it's only the dollar backing it that gives it any notional value.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm going to self-quote something I wrote in the BWM thread when it got talking about wtf people are thinking when they get into crypto:

tl;dr it's scams all the way down. The big scammers scam the little scammers, an the little scammers scam people who are staring into the abyss and desperately searching for a way to get that "middle class lifestyle" that was sold to them their whole lives.

Well, that's thoroughly depressing, I guess being British and knowing there's gently caress all we can do about the aristocracy lording over us gives me a little perspective uncommon to Americans

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 26, 2022

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Tank girl stuff aside (it's obviously a rip-off with nothing added and plenty taken away), her stuff could be considered pop art, it's a bit cheap but there's a lot worse out there. If she was just open about her process she'd save a lot of grief.

OK just looked at her twitter (why) I can see the issue here

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Surely it would be much easier, cheaper and more secure just to ban UK companies from trading in crypto.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

It sounds a bit like the end goal of flexa is to remove crypto from the equation and just use actual money

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

SettingSun posted:

The Flexa whitepaper attempts to address this, but doesn't really back it up.

The first is laughable (and isn't the only one). In payment cards alone there are dozens of choices targeting every possible market.

I don't know about the US, but bank transfers have been almost instant for years here in the UK.

Also what do they even mean by "mobile wallet"? As my understanding of "mobile wallet" would have the exact same functionality as a credit card (as in, Google Pay) or are they referring to some kind of crypto wallet, in which case it should have a big red X next to everything?

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

What really gets me about "web 3.0" speak is how offensive it is to the impressiveness of the invention that went into things like "separating software from hardware". Like, they take everything invented prior to 2010 as if it was developed by luddites.

Let alone the offensiveness of calling it "web 3.0" in the first place - web 2.0 was a term coined for a tech stack that already existed, it wasn't just force fed down everyone's throats and it actually improved things and was easy to understand. It didn't need an army of people screaming obscenities to get it into people's heads.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

coolusername posted:

We’ve got bitcoin all wrong, guys. We thought it was a horrible scam, but

:actually:

What would happen is that rich people would control all the wealth and decide who can get some.
And states would have even less capacity or reason to distribute it more evenly.
That is pretty profoundly bad, yes

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Number just went down from 20k to 19k instantly, what would cause that?

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

I've been trying to understand the behaviour of the market over the past few weeks in order to win an argument. I think I'll just bow out quietly, this is doing my head in.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

SaberToothedPie posted:

pretty ironic that crypto is a massive energy sink that will kill us all and its how you bought your eco village condo

Nothing more environmentally friendly than a second home

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Also 'Often referred to as “the web version 3.0” or “web3” (the internet being “web2”)'

That article is written by the person its interviewing. Not a single dissenting voice (although it's so fricking long I gave up).

Journalism this dead is embarrassing.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

latinotwink1997 posted:

So when bitcoin was $50k+, was this HDD actually worth a billion? Took him long enough to start searching.

Half a billion at peak, that's an article from last year, no idea why it's resurfacing now

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Lord Stimperor posted:

Our provider in Western Europe has that as well. Sent us an email to rejoice, we would now providing free internet to other customers and would het free internet elsewhere as well. I was actually wanting to disable that but never got around yet to figuring out how.

BT do that in the UK, I use my own router for all manner of reasons but removing all control the ISP has over my home router is a pretty major one.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

If bitcoin can survive a nuclear holocaust it can survive a few years next to some wet wipes.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Does the US still have Covid mandates? The UK hasn't had any for months other than in NHS buildings.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Alchenar posted:

You are probably familiar with this story, but the ticker is up to nine years on the dude who will spend the rest of his life desperately trying to dig through an ever growing mountain of rubbish: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62381682

It's stopped growing as it's now compacted and covered. It's an environmental no-no. Never going to happen. Who gives a poo poo about a crypto hub.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

You either demand masks are worn or accept that the majority of western society don't want to and won't wear them.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

I wonder what kind of compensation he was offering if he polluted an entire town and didn't find a drive with £200 million in bitcoin on it

Lol everything about that article is serious delusion:

"Mr Howells has now pledged about 10% of the proceeds of the drive, should it be recovered, to fund a range of crypto-based projects"
"We'd like to set up a community owned (Bitcoin) mining facility which is using that clean electricity to create Bitcoin for the people of Newport."
"Among his other plans are proposals to give £50 worth of Bitcoin to every person in the city and install crypto-based terminals in all shops"

He's obviously completely broken, they should just tell him to gently caress off and never come back or get prosecuted for harassment

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

According to a comment on that article, they've moved all their bitcoin into a coinbase wallet.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Armitage_Shanks posted:

Isn't the entire argument of the NFT heads that the blockchain PREVENTS a centralised owner continuing to project influence after a sale has happened?

I think there can be some kind of royalty cut in an nft contract.

quote:

“In the analogue world, a Pearson textbook was resold up to seven times, and we would only participate in the first sale,” he added.

Imagine producing something that has value stored in the actual product being sold. What an antiquated concept.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

That is mental

This is the guy with billions invested in them right? Does he not have any stakeholders to answer to or is it all his own money?

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Beercoin

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Sounds blatantly criminal to me

Also, below that article:

quote:

Dogecoin to Join Bitcoin in Lunar Mission: Astrobotic's Peregrine Mission One

Littering the moon? Is that what we're doing now?

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/16/indian-businessman-famed-for-240000-gold-shirt-beaten-to-death

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

:yaycloud:

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Dec 13, 2023

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

If bitcoin's endgame is to replace currency across the world, how does that fit in with the non-fixed nature of the rest of the world's resources? A return to scrips and bartering chickens for broccoli?

Or would nations just invent their own internal currency and use that as legal tender, initially coupled to bitcoin and set free when that became inconvenient? Before the most stable and productive of those currencies became more lucrative for other countries to hold than bitcoin...

Maybe we've been here before

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

cruft posted:

Hi, science background here, is this a commonly-held economic belief? I feel like it is. How does this work, in economics? From my perspective, it seems to assume the earth has infinite mass.

I didn't know how to word it, maybe "ever-changing"? I definitely didn't mean infinite

I mean, made up numbers, there's six billion people all wanting to get paid today, in ten years time there'll be eight billion, is the bitcoin ideal for everyone to get salary reductions rather than increases? How would anyone ever know what a bitcoin was actually worth?

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

cruft posted:

Ah, okay. Well, some people who claim to truly get economics do speak of wealth as some infinite pool that can be endlessly tapped, like, you can just generate wealth from nothing, and thermodynamics doesn't apply.

That seems to be the dominant theory of economics in the world today, and we have people shooting refuse at the moon to spend it

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

So this current jump in price is the miners manipulating the market to continue to be seen as being profitable, so they can continue to get real money from idiot hedge funds?

At some point, I assume that spigot will run dry as AI is the new shiny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Mood swings pegged to fluctuations in BTC-USD, chaotic