Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
Applying for a job at Coinbase. Wish me luck goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
You guys weren't kidding. That Wikipedia page on Tether is a wild ride.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

oxsnard posted:

last two dips in global butt hash rate were 10 days (blue line) and 7 days (red line)

we're at 11 days and counting currently. Sounds like rumors of chinese mines going offline might be true

Since the difficulty adjusts automatically doesn't this just mean less energy is being wasted?

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

golden bubble posted:

Seeing as the hack relied on exploiting a legacy VPN with a password that was never change and no 2FA enabled, I'm not surprised it ended with the Feds taking all the butts because they were stored on an exchange with a CA server (Coinbase?).

https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/status/1401993342620160002

I promise you Coinbase does not keep millions of dollars in Bitcoin in a hot wallet sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Would definitely be interested in more details of the hack back here but not expecting to get them anytime soon.

Looks like Cali is just where this was filed since the Bitcoin obviously doesn't have a physical location and this is just some standard paperwork for asset forfeiture.

novamute fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 8, 2021

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Klyith posted:

Don't be stupid. At the scale that coinbase deals in, they absolutely have millions of dollars in butts in their primary hot wallet. You can't avoid that -- an exchange's hot wallet has to be able to cover the deposits & withdrawals. And that hot wallet is live on their server, somewhere.

Don't be stupid yourself. Withdrawals aren't instantaneous and funds only need to be hot long enough to sign a transaction. No serious exchange keeps any amount of funds at rest in a hot wallet or even in a wallet that used to be hot. There's plenty of public info about Coinbase's key management specifically if you want to educate yourself.
https://blog.coinbase.com/production-threshold-signing-service-b16017c09661

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
About time. All very valid points. We'll see if they do anything more than put out a strongly worded statement though.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

InternetJunky posted:

Is there a single, real world example of a use case for a private blockchain where a different solution doesn't exist or wouldn't be far superior in cost/effort/etc?

Well no. Without a need for decentralization there isn't any reason to blockchain at all.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Orvin posted:

I wasn’t paying too close attention, but it involved putting the coins in an exchange or something, and getting loaned different coins. Then you take those loaned coins and cash them out for actual real dollars. But it seemed like he was going to still have to make payments on the loans. Just that the expectation was that the collateral coins would gain value faster than the interest would accrue.

He at least seemed aware of the fact that a significant downturn in value of your collateral coin is going to get your collateral liquidated. And then the whole scheme falls apart.

Yeah you can do this with DeFi protocols that don't involve an actual exchange, just smart contracts, and you can cash out into a stablecoin that you could then sell on an exchange for actual money. It has always seemed like a spectacularly bad idea to me with the collateralization requirements since a big enough price drop in the coin you're taking a loan against means you get liquidated like you said. And that seems more like a when rather than an if.

quote:

When a borrower wants to take out a loan, they have to offer something more valuable than the amount of the loan. That means they need to deposit via a smart contract an amount of currency that is at least of equal value to the amount they'd like to take out. The collateral can be in a wide variety of currencies however. So if you want to borrow one bitcoin, you’d need to deposit the current price for one bitcoin in DAI, for example. Or 11,296 DAI.

A few months later, you’re finished with the loan and need to pay back your bitcoin + 10 per cent and then you receive your 11,296 DAI back. The borrower is happy because they received their original DAI back without having to sell them and the pool is happy because they can now distribute the 10 percent in bitcoin across the pool of investors.

Sounds perfect… but there are issues with the system.

When dealing with different crypto assets, the prices can swing wildly. We’ve all seen the ups and downs of Bitcoin’s price over the years. What happens if the price of the collateral drops below the price of the loan?

For example, MakerDAO requires borrowers to collateralize their loan at a minimum of 150% of the value of the loan. So, let’s say you want to borrow 100 Dai. That means you would have to collateralize your loan with a minimum of $150 in Ether (ETH). Therefore, if your collateral drops below the $150 ETH value, your loan would then be subject to a liquidation penalty.

novamute fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 10, 2021

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Galewolf posted:

Funds are safu.

Funds are snafu

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

jokes posted:

So is bitcoin supposed to be a cash equivalent, an investment, a security, or a currency?

Depends on who is asking

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Vashro posted:

speaking of that, what happens to your buttcoins when you die?

Once humanity invents the AI powerful enough to resurrect your mind state you come back unimaginably wealthy instead of as a robot slave. Coiner heaven is real folks or at least it will be

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

mojo1701a posted:

OK so I can understand not knowing what the word "nonce" means on the Eastern side of the Atlantic, but if not from that, where did they get the name from?

They posted the link to the alternate definition in the tweet you quoted

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Vashro posted:

the "ATM" just accepts money right? exactly not like an ATM?

Yeah or you'd have to wait an hour before it spat the money out

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Blotto_Otter posted:

It doesn't matter if this breakdown is legit. (Though as folks are pointing out, there's still plenty of reason to stay skeptical.) It doesn't matter if USDCs really are "backed" by quality assets. The entire use case of dollar-backed stablecoins is to avoid AML/KYC laws and regulations, the tokens are just digitized bearer bonds but without any clear and enforceable legal agreement stating so, and all the exchanges trading them are arguably violating American securities exchange laws. It doesn't matter if this reserves report is accurate because USDC (and USDT and every other dollar-backed stablecoin) was created in bad faith. Circle is just a wildcat bank for the internet era.

If it isn't interest bearing is it really a digitized bearer bond?

They are basically acting like a bank though.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Beached Whale posted:

I've never understood what butters are aiming for with "banking the unbanked". If I'm a subsistence farmer in a 2nd/3rd world country, being able to access a bank account isn't going to do poo poo for me because I'm already dirt poor and don't have any money to keep in a bank account anyways.

The amount of SV-level growth in crypto adoption that crypto true believers think is coming pretty much requires broad adoption outside of first world countries. And what else is a subsistence farmer going to use crypto for at the moment?

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

:hmmyes:

novamute fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 26, 2021

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
The whole cryptocurrency as energy storage thing maybe the single dumbest thing to come out of the entire ecosystem.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
Guys I think I'm hosed :dogstare: just got this email

Hard Carson posted:

Hey xxx. What kind of poo poo is that, bro? To fap so much is out of the powers of normal guys) You destroy yourself by ur abhorrent hobby. It seems you get ready for setting a record for onanism, there is no other explanation for ur motivation. Obviously, this is not my job what men practice in their spare time, but you surprised me. It would be a shame of me not to give you a piece of advice to cover your webcam, when u practice such things. I’m surprised by the fact that you are a grownup but u have such habit. I will get right to the matter. In case you decide to ignore me, in 72 hours I’m going to send ur video clip to the contacts from your electronic-mail that I downloaded. BTC 1ESmudAC2K9gSHaNUWpbxCi6MHGUXZvCbT, there will be no better offer 1580 USD. I provide u with 36 h to meet my claims. When my requirements are addressed, I will eliminate the compromising information on u. U won't be able to contact me, after sending this msg I am going to delete this address on personal considerations. You need to be more careful, or you shouldn't be surprised by a viewer who has accessed to your device.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

IG-88 posted:

My coworker just bought one of those Punk NFTs for 7k.

“Watch me flip this in 2 months for 200-300%”

Aren't they like over a hundred k each now? Unless he bought like a fractionalized piece of one.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

The Lone Badger posted:

So something I don't understand...
Say I 'buy' Scammy Monkey #31415A. A token that says "https://scams.com/stupidmonkey.jpg" is created and forevially blockchainised, meaning that at any point in the future I can reference the blockchain to prove that I own the token. It is technologically impossible for anyone to alter this. I can then point to the fact that https://scams.com/stupidmonkey.jpg loads a picture of Scammy Money #31415A to 'prove' that I own Scammy Money #31415A.
BUT...
This is entirely dependant on the whims of whoever owns the scams.com domain. Say the intern goes in and swaps the filenames so that https://scams.com/stupidmonkey.jpg now loads an image of Scammy Monkey #3453C and Scammy Money #31415A is now located at https://scams.com/idiotmonkey.jpg . Me and the other monkey owner have effectively swapped which monkeys we 'own'. Teal dear: scammy monkey ownership is actually entirely dependant on a central database controlled by a single person. So what is the blockchain bit actually contributing to this? Why not have it be database entries and not need to 'spend ether' do do things?

NFTs that are hosted on centralized servers have this problem yes. If hosted on IPFS the image can disappear but it can't change because the address is just a hash of the content.

Edit: to be clear, a lot of these projects are actually just hosted out of an S3 bucket or something because it's simpler and they are usually just trying to get this stuff pumped out as fast as possible

novamute fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 13, 2021

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
I did it goons. I made an NFT. It isn't on a PoW chain though so hopefully I didn't burn down too many rainforests and it only cost me like a buck.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

deadwing posted:

lemme see it i wanna do something with it

https://bafybeigvpzktpe74wfmety7d4rtv55addanooptcjrzwitkjifrxwn7qwe.ipfs.infura-ipfs.io

Right click your heart out!

drk posted:

how does it feel to have poop on your hands

About the same as before

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

ikanreed posted:

To be honest, Bitcoin stabilizing in value without crashing is the worst possible outcome because it incentivizes perpetual mining.

I mean it isn't worse than it just continuing to climb until it eats the entire world economy. Mining rewards are cut in half every 4 years already so if the price doesn't keep climbing exponentially mining revenue will drop.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

By the same token falling for scams like this doesn't necessarily require someone to be smart or dumb (though NFT stuff in particular seems designed to filter heavily for morons), just motivated to believe in the get-rich-quick scheme. MLMs don't target housewives because housewives are stupid, they're a rich vein because they access to money but are alienated from the moneymaking process, like the idea of making their own income but can't get a real job after years out of the workforce, so give them a readymade kit that looks like what salespeople do and tell them they're small business owners and they'll fight to the death for the illusion. The target for crypto is dudes who got in at the lower end of tech or like to think of themselves as tech-savvy because they're extremely Online, never saw the fabled millions that they were promised Google would be paying them and never actually learned how to make anything useful in their lovely CS classes. Now someone's telling them that they can quit their bullshit dead-end career and become Visionary Venture Capitalists swapping absolute bullshit just like Bezos and Musk, because they're just so good at computers (Twitter) and the only field they've managed to master with confidence (memes) is actually super valuable and important. The smart ones will fight with every resource at their disposal for the illusion they aren't losers after all and the dumb ones are furnished with an endless supply of one-liners and colorful image macros to derail inconvenient trains of thought.

This is a pretty insightful take.

Also

https://twitter.com/AltcoinGordon/status/1470121126722428934

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Every time a new dumb scam comes out, I'm encouraged to buy the shittiest 5 acres in a desert and sell crypto backed by 1 square foot of land on that acreage at $1 a coin/token (maybe call them deeds), then keep buying sub-$1000/acres of sand land to sell until the LLC has millions I can run off with to south america.

$1 per square foot is cheaper than a square foot in Scotland or on the moon, and people get to say they own land in (insert desirable state with desert portions).

I want to sell $800/acre land for $43,560 in funny tokens.

https://twitter.com/citydao

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

drk posted:

Most NFT images are hosted on IPFS, which is basically BitTorrent for CDNs. So, there isnt really any direct way to to get the image removed.

It makes it a bit more difficult but you still have a server somewhere actually hosting the image in the IPFS network. Most NFTs that are on IPFS will probably use a pinning service like Pinata that can certainly be sued or DMCAed. For these small-time ripoffs that should probably be enough to 404 the IPFS link. The scammer can host it on their home PC as well if they want but that also opens them up to liability in the same way that hosting a torrent would.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Strong Sauce posted:

i think if you get it removed from opensea it basically doesn't exist anymore because nothing is really decentralized.

Pretty much https://www.statista.com/statistics/1274843/nft-marketplaces-with-highest-volume/

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Garfu posted:

My mortgage loan officer started asking me about crypto and specifically ripple. I went down the list in my head of everything dumb about bitcoin and crypto from spending 12 years in this thread, but he kept saying how ripple has been adopted by many international banks and a bunch of other legit (to him) sounding stuff. His use case response was transfer fees and the usual BS, and my response was "but in the end you're just trying to make money".

Anyway... Is there actually anything to ripple? He was talking about some conspiracy from the globalist mainstream media about not adding ripple to the top 3 cryptocurrencies with the largest market cap during some finance segment a few years ago or some poo poo. I had to shut the conversation down after that.

Luckily I'm closing on Monday and never have to speak to him again.

And I thought my loan officer who butt dialed me and left a voicemail detailing the side effects of his illegitimate steroid use was unprofessional

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Hello Sailor posted:

Right. But in the specific case of this $SOS thing that the spam-tweets were on about, what verification would ever be enough to prove that all copies of the key files were deleted?

Assuming it is a typical crypto, having it built into the agreed upon protocol to ignore anything done with those keys even if they weren't deleted? Which I can't imagine is actually the case here

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Main Paineframe posted:

fractional ownership of NFTs is already here and it's even dumber than that

imagine someone owns bored ape 420 and wants to fractionalize it. they'll mint an entire new series of NFTs, and say that owning those new NFTs gives you the right to vote on what happens to bored ape 420, with your voting power dependent on how many of that new NFT series you own

so you don't even own a single pixel, you just own a tiny percentage of decision-making power. at least in theory...but in practice there's no loving way that would actually work

Typically this would involve locking the actual nft up in a smart contact that would enforce the shared ownership. There may be people out there skipping that step though idk. Of course it would cost what like $20-100 to cast a vote on what to do with it?

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

ponzicar posted:

Have any of these celebrities dabbling in NFTs revealed how they got involved with them in the first place? I am wondering whether they are all jumping on the bandwagon, or if there's a group of grifters selling this poo poo to agents and managers

95+% (conservatively) of it is paid promotion, either in straight cash or in tokens or both

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Nessus posted:

I assume all these people are crypto rich because they mined Ethereum in 2015 or whatever and they have just been sitting on the wallet or what-have-you. The problem being realizing these gains as what I call ActualMoney.

This comes up pretty often in this thread but cashing out crypto that is ETH or BTC instead of just random shitcoins is not difficult.

You can go on Uniswap right now and sell 10000 ETH for ~$37M worth of USDC (which you will have no problem converting into actual USD) and you'll only tank the ETH/USDC price there by 2%. And that's the most naive way to do it, there are plenty of ways to spread out large sells in time and across multiple venues to prevent price impact.

Trying to do the same for ~$37M of OXT (just randomly picked a token on Uniswap I haven't heard of) will wipe out the entire order book and crash the price of OXT on Uniswap by 98% for a while until the pool recovers but that would apparently be attempting to cash out 7% of the entire supply of OXT so that isn't too surprising.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Pham Nuwen posted:

What's the procedure for converting $37M of USDC into USD?

Move it to an institutional exchange platform (https://www.coinbase.com/prime for example), convert it to USD on their platform, give them your bank account details and initiate a transfer out.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
We may be about to find out

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Futanari Damacy posted:

So can "gas fees" be set to a permanently high value, like $1000/transaction by someone putting in that much to get their transaction prioritized?

https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitfinex-paid-a-colossal-23m-fee-to-send-100k-of-usdt

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

repiv posted:

https://twitter.com/Charlie_Pyle/status/1479274941484699649

pictured below: $150 million dollars worth of culture

https://twitter.com/Charlie_Pyle/status/1479274953463631874

Totally delusional

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

drk posted:

Someone redeemed about $3.5B of USDC a couple hours ago. Nothing to worry about.

Or maybe its a data/API issue, these trackers aren't terribly reliable

There's not a burn or anything at all that lines up with that on the USDC ETH contract. /shrug

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

nullEntityRNG posted:

I am livid the fact that the more popular blockchain tools is just a loving set of APIs meshed together. Everytime i think it can't get dumber, it is.

I've got some bad news about 99% of all software for you

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin-and-ether-heading-100k-and-5k-in-2022-bloomberg-intelligence

BTC 100k by end of year! You heard it here first. That means all these dips are just giving you extra value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Gutcruncher posted:

Someone once told me online that their specific choice of NFT was in fact carbon neutral because “it can be offset.”

I very nearly demanded to have them define carbon offsets then and there but at some point you just have to realize that it’s just a waste of time, and doing literally anything else is better

Hmm. It can be? But was it? And who is paying for the additional carbon offsets every time it is transferred to a new owner? Presumably they mean the issuer bought a carbon offset to account just for the minting of it. Even under the assumption that carbon offsets are real there are a lot of questions there.