Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

HallelujahLee posted:

add the foreign investors to the list vietnam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Does north Vietnam get enough water for rice farming?

Yes, they primarily grow rice there in winter. Including the northern part of the coastal strip it's nearly 30% of total production.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Josef bugman posted:

So does that mean a detente between the two powers? I do hope so.

Alongside that I am hoping for a bit more freedom in terms of gender expression stuff. I'd like to not be in the UK in the future and would much prefer China and Vietnam going down the Cuba route.

gender expression stuff?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Hey Korean goons, how authentic is the new movie 12:12 The Day (Chun Doo-hwan coup story.)

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

Hey Korean goons, how authentic is the new movie 12:12 The Day (Chun Doo-hwan coup story.)

Just watched it this weekend.
It was pretty amazing how the only option for a hero they had was a general who served with honor during *checks notes* the 18 year dictatorship of Park Chung-hee.

Another great little detail was "How did only he know North Korea wouldn't invade?" Because apparently only he knew that they aren't there to protect against North Korea, they're there to threaten them. He understood exactly where he was and what they are about.

This article goes over some changes made.
The harrowing real-life stories of the Korean military coup depicted in “12.12: The Day”

However a lot of the facts are only coming out now thanks to US journalists getting details released.

Records show how America stood back and watched as Gwangju was martyred for Korean democracy - US intelligence records obtained by an American journalist — and now out in Korean translation — show how meticulously the US watched as a junta massacred those protesting for democracy
Classified documents reveal Washington’s shifting perception of Chun’s 1979 mutiny

Also watched Silmido, which had some odd behavior from the characters. But it makes sense when you hear the actually story that they were in fact not all convicts and super villians, Suicide Squad style. But mostly volunteers that were disappeared in the end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silmido_(film)
Family of disappeared man loses another court battle for remains

quote:

The brother, Im Seong-bin, had been a 22-year-old peddler in 1968 when he heard that he could land a good job if he enlisted for military training. He became a member of the 209th detachment of the Air Force’s 2,325th Unit. The 209th was the Silmido unit, responsible for special operations against North Korea.

Gildiss has issued a correction as of 04:39 on Apr 12, 2024

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

crepeface posted:

gender expression stuff?

More stuff like Cuba with folks able to marry who they want and explicit support for trans and enby folks.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Josef bugman posted:

More stuff like Cuba with folks able to marry who they want and explicit support for trans and enby folks.

they opened a hospital for trans kids a few years ago and there's a fairly popular talk show celebrity who's a trans woman.

whenever I think about gay marriage, I think about how we (Australia) were only able to get it in 2017 after a plebiscite with 60% support.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Duterte admits deal with Xi on West Philippine Sea status quo

Published Apr 12, 2024 10:45 AM PHT

quote:

MANILA — Former President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday admitted that he had agreed with Chinese President Xi Jinping to maintain the status quo in the West Philippine Sea.

“Aside from the fact of having a handshake with President Xi Jinping, the only thing I remember was status quo. That's the word[, of no interference] — no movement, no armed patrols there… [so that there's no conflict, so we will not have any conflict. That is what I remember]. I do not even know the Ayungin Shoal," he said.

"I assure you that if it was a gentleman's agreement, it would always have been an agreement that would keep the peace in the South China Sea," he added.

He said the deal involved not bringing construction materials for the repair and upkeep of the BRP Sierra Madre in Ayungin Shoal.

“As is where is[, indeed]. You cannot bring in materials to repair and improve. No agreement, as is where is. [Because if you had allowed it for the Sierra Madre, it would have already been repaired a long time ago. We would have brought it home by now],” he said.

Duterte's former spokesman Harry Roque recently divulged the status quo deal, which he also called a “gentleman’s agreement.” He made the statement following a series of Chinese aggression against Philippine vessels on resupply missions to the BRP Sierra Madre.

Roque said he had learned about the agreement when Duterte summoned the Chinese Ambassador due to a similar water cannon incident.

According to Roque, the envoy reminded Duterte of the status quo agreement which apparently also meant no repairs for the ship. But Roque said Duterte’s agreement was non-binding.

Duterte said that despite the verbal agreement, "We have not conceded anything to China."

"There might have been exchange of control over the China sea, [but] those were really territorial in nature, not involving the encroachment of China in an exclusive economic zone. [That is different]… Nobody but nobody in the Philippines today, either the Supreme Court, the presidency or Congress can concede anything about territories. [That's not what the President does],” Duterte said.

He added that despite "being oppressed by China," the Philippines "cannot afford a war at this time" with Beijing.

Duterte said that from his first state visit in Beijing and conversation with Xi, he knew that the Philippines could not risk escalating tensions with China.

"I said, 'Mr. President, we would insist the China sea, or not the whole of it, but there is a part of the China sea that belongs to the Philippines… I will dig my oil there. I just want to let you know.' Xi Jinping [said to me], 'I am afraid you cannot do that... because it would mean trouble,'' Duterte said.

"[As I had understood it from what he said,] there will be trouble, if we insist on our own way there, China will go to war," he said.

He said he told Xi that he did not want "to spoil everything" and that "maybe we can put it off to some other day."

"[And] put it off to some other day never came because we avoided that controversy," Duterte said of his conversation with Xi.

Duterte challenged his successor President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. to repair the BRP Sierra Madre that was deliberately grounded on Ayungin Shoal.

"[So I said to] Marcos, stop complaining and expounding on it. Do it and repair. I challenge them, [because given that they are the ones in government right now, then they should repair it and then build a base there,] if they are really ready for that. [Do patrols with the] Philippine Navy, [against the] gray ships, and let us see what happens," he said.

Marcos is in the US for a trilateral summit with US President Joe Biden and Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida.

Biden on Thursday pledged Thursday to defend the Philippines from any attack in the South China Sea.

Duterte on Thursday also slammed his critics like retired Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonio Carpio.

“[So], Justice Carpio, [I tell you this]. If China would decide to erect a naval base there in the island nearest us, can you stop it? [It's so easy to say that] we should insist. And if China would say no, you cannot insist, what can you do? Justice Carpio, answer me?” Duterte said.

But Carpio said Duterte should "tell the truth to the Filipino people.”

“[According to] China, [there was a] gentleman's agreement. [According to (Harry)] Roque, [there was a] gentleman's agreement. [But now they are denying it].” Carpio said at the sidelines of a forum in the University of the Philippines.

“Who is lying and who is not telling the truth?”

He also countered Duterte’s statement that any agreement he had would only keep the peace in the contested waters.

“[According to his agreement, he agreed that we would not resupply, that we would repair the Sierra Madre. That we could only bring water and food, but that would mean the ship would sink, because it's rusted-out. And when it sinks, that's that, China gets into the shoal. It is as if he gave away Ayungin Shoal to China... that's the effect of that agreement],” Carpio asserted.

Without the BRP Sierra Madre, the Philippines will no longer have an outpost and will not be able to protect the Ayungin Shoal. This, according to Carpio, is the goal of China in not allowing materials to be delivered to the rundown ship.

“We lose another feature in the South China Sea. [But according to the] arbitral tribunal, [this] Ayungin Shoal, [despite the] low tide, that’s part of the EEZ of the Philippines. [It is the Philippines that can erect structures there. But then we would not have a presence anymore and China will come in like they did in Mischief Reef],” the former magistrate explained.

Carpio does not believe China will go to war with the Philippines, contrary to what Duterte has mentioned a number of times. Carpio noted that Indonesia blows up Chinese fishing vessels, while Malaysia surveys and drills within its exclusive economic zone. China, until now, has not gone to war against these nations.

“[That's nonsense. That's intimidation. There has been no war so far],” he pointed out.

“[China’s strategy is to scare us. Intimidate us. Their number one agent in intimidating us is Duterte.]”

“[He says], I love Xi Jinping. [Even if Xi Jinping is already claiming our islands in the] West Philippine Sea, [our] maritime zones, [still he says] I love Xi Jinping. [What kind of a President does that? What kind of a Filipino does that]?”

China claims nearly all of the waterway despite competing claims from other countries, including the Philippines, and an international ruling that its stance has no legal basis.

There have been several confrontations between Philippine and Chinese vessels near contested reefs in recent months, including collisions.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Gildiss posted:

Just watched it this weekend.
It was pretty amazing how the only option for a hero they had was a general who served with honor during *checks notes* the 18 year dictatorship of Park Chung-hee.

Another great little detail was "How did only he know North Korea wouldn't invade?" Because apparently only he knew that they aren't there to protect against North Korea, they're there to threaten them. He understood exactly where he was and what they are about.

This article goes over some changes made.
The harrowing real-life stories of the Korean military coup depicted in “12.12: The Day”

However a lot of the facts are only coming out now thanks to US journalists getting details released.

Records show how America stood back and watched as Gwangju was martyred for Korean democracy - US intelligence records obtained by an American journalist — and now out in Korean translation — show how meticulously the US watched as a junta massacred those protesting for democracy
Classified documents reveal Washington’s shifting perception of Chun’s 1979 mutiny

Also watched Silmido, ...

Yeah that Silmido story is crazy. Its whole story and the aftermath remind me how Korean authorities handle disputes similar but different from China.

Back to Chun, one thing I want to find out but can't from casually reading wiki is how did Chun willingly agree to step down in 1988 (and went to serve in prison but it was a slap on the wrist short term which means the power-that-be had an understanding with Chun ahead of time.)

I am pretty convinced the US had a big hand in it, because Taiwan went the democratization route in exactly 1988 after the death of Jiang Jin Guo.

And Myanmar had a violent democratic protest in 1988, and Tiananmen was 89. You tell me these are not related? That is no way.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Duterte released those details now provably to provide some cool down factor to the SCS dispute. And put in political bets opposite Macros so if Macros lost face in the reef dispute, Duterte's side would gain some political capital.

As I predicted, the current dispute is centered around May 20th, in service of the Taiwan presidential inauguration.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 12:43 on Apr 12, 2024

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

crepeface posted:

they opened a hospital for trans kids a few years ago and there's a fairly popular talk show celebrity who's a trans woman.

whenever I think about gay marriage, I think about how we (Australia) were only able to get it in 2017 after a plebiscite with 60% support.

Oh I know, but well, I'd just like it if there was positive news about another communist country being very cool as regards poo poo like this.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

stephenthinkpad posted:

Yeah that Silmido story is crazy. Its whole story and the aftermath remind me how Korean authorities handle disputes similar but different from China.

Back to Chun, one thing I want to find out but can't from casually reading wiki is how did Chun willingly agree to step down in 1988 (and went to serve in prison but it was a slap on the wrist short term which means the power-that-be had an understanding with Chun ahead of time.)

I am pretty convinced the US had a big hand in it, because Taiwan went the democratization route in exactly 1988 after the death of Jiang Jin Guo.

And Myanmar had a violent democratic protest in 1988, and Tiananmen was 89. You tell me these are not related? That is no way.

My extremely uninformed thoughts would be they saw the chance to lose total control if they stood firm on this.

So instead:
Chun steps down
everyone gets to "vote" now
His #2 becomes president with some simple manipulating and dividing the opposition
The military, KCIA, Prosecutors, and chaebol all remain largely untouched and business continues unhindered
A lot of the people that fought against them is pacified and lulled into thinking they won

Once the Soviets collapse the iron fist of US capital wearing the velvet glove of the IMF come in and balance things out again in full favor of the status quo.

And this is part of why you saw such an extreme response to them trying to appoint Cho Kuk to the prosecutors with the intent to reform it. That touched the very live wire of a remaining power block.

But again, I know very little about these recent historical events.

Gildiss has issued a correction as of 10:12 on Apr 12, 2024

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Karl_Was_Right/status/1778968223259750565

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

What is with these Korean historical films adding in action sequences? A Taxi Driver had a loving car chase at the end

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
China is a real western power now, its disaffected wealthy youth are referred to as "emigres" instead of immigrants when they go to Thailand to smoke weed.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/13/the-chinese-emigres-leaving-the-pressures-of-home-for-laid-back-chiang-mai

quote:

The Chinese émigrés leaving the pressures of home for laid back Chiang Mai
Thai tourist hotspot popular with backpackers has become an unlikely second home for thousands of Chinese people seeking alternative lifestyles

quote:

Moving to Thailand has allowed her to have a “multiverse version” of herself, where she can be a farmer, an influencer, a businesswoman and a single, child-free woman, away from the pressures of Chinese society.

Xiong is part of a burgeoning trend of Chinese people – particularly millennials – who feel that the country that was supposed to be the powerhouse of the 21st century has little to offer them personally in social, intellectual and spiritual terms. In recent years, an economic downturn and lingering trauma from the isolation of China’s draconian zero-Covid regime has pushed people who would otherwise be seen as the country’s success stories to emigrate.

quote:

“Thailand is certainly not as safe as the US, Europe or Japan,” he says, acutely aware of the fate of Gui Minhai, a Swedish bookseller who was kidnapped from Thailand in 2015, reappearing months later in Chinese custody, an incident which spooked dissidents in Thailand. “But it’s still basically a country with free speech. It basically protects human rights”.

Zheng is part of an older cabal of expats who have established a retirement village-meets-arts community in a suburb of Chiang Mai. Unlike the millennial transplants, this older generation was forged in China’s more liberal era of the 1980s, and have a more political perspective about the country’s trajectory. “We were hopeful, a generation of people who made great sacrifices and efforts, but ultimately failed,” says Zheng. “Young Chinese today are more desperate than we were then. In the next few years, they will be unemployed, their lives will be in crisis, and their rights as human beings will diminish little by little.”

Lol at this guy who has decided a country who arrests people who insult the king has free speech because he is not personally harassed by the authorities. The true westerner mindset.

You could dismiss this entirely as the usual 'China bad' but I do have some empathy for someone who is exhausted by being an office worker in Shanghai, as a result becomes disillusioned with Chinese society and has decided sitting around in Thailand is a better deal, I don't think this means you have been brainwashed by the USA necessarily. But just look at these people's loving jobs.

quote:

Xiong has chronicled her journey from Beijing cryptocurrency marketing executive

quote:

It felt like the end of the world,” says Linda Xu, of the Shanghai lockdown. Until March 2022, she was the general manager of a successful skateboarding start-up in Shanghai

Something tells me the authoritarian ccp crushing democracy is not the reason for them experiencing a deep spiritual and cultural emptiness. Maybe they would have been happier if the ccp had cracked down harder on western influence...

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Shanghai ren doing the bourgie thing, it happens. Probably a single child whose parents have at least one apartment in the inner rings of Shanghai, and he or she doesn't see the point of working too hard for his own career. Having a short quarter life crisis in Thailand and backpack for a year is pretty safe and low cost.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
They're no "former slumlord crossing the Darien Gap on foot with a 15 year old daughter" like in that other article

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It all goes back to how 'brainwashing' as a concept and MKULTRA basically exists because it was considered impossible that Americans could become sympathetic to North Koreans through any means other than some mind of magical evil communist science. Combine that with the idea of 'charismatic leaders' that was presented as the reason why Germany is all nice and peaceful now, they were just literally mind controlled by the magical ranting speech of mean ol' Hitler.

The idea that those books and speeches actually have any real content or say anything is incomprehensible and abhorrent to them, it's just almost impossible to read them without becoming brainwashed into a supervillain. So the idea that their political enemies have any real motivations, origins and context can be safely discarded- they're just mind controlled, or ontologically evil carriers of the corruption. This also means you can safely discard the idea that undecorous protestors and activists have any actual valid complaints or causes being their words and deeds, and in fact it's required to because listening to them and reading their words might damage your precious smart liberal brain.

See also the hilarious rage and terror over Osama Bin Laden's manifesto making the rounds on TikTok- they genuinely believed that it would cause the teens to literally become Al-Quaeda, and have no understanding that after years of relentless absurd propaganda young people are shocked and amazed to learn that Bin Laden had actual motivations, ideas and agendas different from the ones that had been assigned to him by American media.

Speaking of, see also how they constantly make snarky remarks and insult leftists based on the values and agendas that they have decided leftists have, and are confused and aggravated when they are dismissed- because they're used to being the ones who know what everyone else 'really' believes, just like the news told them. And they genuinely consider themselves 'experts' in Marx for glancing vaguely at stuff written about Marxist adjacent people or concepts, or just deciding they are, and get thrown again when they talk to someone who actually knows what they're talking about. They're like speaking-in-tongues missionaries genuinely shocked and baffled that their babbling didn't magically allow them to communicate with people in any language, and they had to actually learn local languages.

im looking ahead to the sympathizer with a bit of resentment regarding all this because everything ive seen about this show suggests to me that its worldbuilding is squarely within this ethos theres zero indication from the marketing that the main character actually believes in communism or even has the slightest idea what communism is with his conflict being defined purely in terms of racial animus

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The thing with the Korean doctor cartel makes me wonder, also like with the entirety of Israel, that the capitalist way of coddling and spoiling the petit bourg while telling them they actually earned it all themselves through bootstraps means you end up with entire generations of useless petty tyrants who have no concept of society and are completely useless when you have actual problems, because they will not do anything that potentially reduces their ability to exploit others at the expense of society. You've turned everyone into feudal nobility.

something about the phrasing of this made me wonder out of nowhere whether doctor slump had such a surprisingly lukewarm response in south korea because it had the bad luck to come out while all this doctor cartel stuff was going on its a bit of a counterintuitive idea considering that one of the shows main themes is corruption in the medical industry but as the title implies this is presented as being due to a run of bad luck and individual malicious actors rather than any sort of systemic corruption like the main inciting incidents are the male lead botching a private procedure and the female lead not being given credit for being the actual head surgeon on a potentially big career boosting emergency operation on the hospital chairmans daughter

of course its also entirely possible that people turned their tv on and threw the remote away in disgust when they realized they werent watching the live action adaptation of akira toriyamas manga series that people have been demanding for decades

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/thatguybg/status/1776755582562709823?t=zGGgArjxqFQ-yej_dgUmjg&s=19

https://twitter.com/RatRaceRunning/status/1777142330036035788?t=RkhpOehCqdhQN5axiwc1BA&s=19

I know I just shouldn't touch the poop but it is loving impossible to have a conversation with liberals about this. It all boils down to

"it can't possibly be exploitative because they're paying three times as much as local companies, who pay and treat people worse"

combined with

"oh if it's exploitative I guess we shouldn't take those jobs then? Do you want people to starve???"

i dont understand what the advantage of this is supposed to be if the cashier isnt even physically in the room wouldnt it be easier for the customer to just do self checkout instead

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

i dont understand what the advantage of this is supposed to be if the cashier isnt even physically in the room wouldnt it be easier for the customer to just do self checkout instead

Building a mechanical turk self checkout where the item scanner is a hidden ipad with a filipino woman on a video call looking at all the barcodes

Leaving a phone on facetime in the company fridge (we have hired someone from the global south to monitor our lunches for theft)

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
https://www.theregister.com/AMP/2024/04/13/china_telco_chips/

China orders its telcos to rip and replace US chips with homegrown silicon by 2027

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Stairmaster posted:

What is with these Korean historical films adding in action sequences? A Taxi Driver had a loving car chase at the end

because otherwise audiences won't watch them lol.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The back-and-forth about the South China Sea has continued in recent days. President Marcos has called Duterte's so-called "gentleman's agreement" with China to be a "secret deal", and has accused him of acting in bad faith by trying to hide the arrangements from the public, presumably because Duterte knew it would look bad to announce that the status quo in the SCS would be maintained by his administration.

Duterte, for his part, continues to assert that they did not and do not want a conflict with China, which is why it was necessary to arrange this deal.

What I've seen so far in social media is people taking this as confirmation that Duterte had sold us out to China, and that he is a traitor to the country. What especially sucks is that this has essentially morphed into a retroactive rehabilitation of Marcos, that he is essentially the lesser-evil because he sides with the USA, and that we're going to need to support him, if only to prevent [Sara] Duterte from winning the presidency in 2028, because the China-backed Dutertes are the bigger danger.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

The back-and-forth about the South China Sea has continued in recent days. President Marcos has called Duterte's so-called "gentleman's agreement" with China to be a "secret deal", and has accused him of acting in bad faith by trying to hide the arrangements from the public, presumably because Duterte knew it would look bad to announce that the status quo in the SCS would be maintained by his administration.

Duterte, for his part, continues to assert that they did not and do not want a conflict with China, which is why it was necessary to arrange this deal.

What I've seen so far in social media is people taking this as confirmation that Duterte had sold us out to China, and that he is a traitor to the country. What especially sucks is that this has essentially morphed into a retroactive rehabilitation of Marcos, that he is essentially the lesser-evil because he sides with the USA, and that we're going to need to support him, if only to prevent [Sara] Duterte from winning the presidency in 2028, because the China-backed Dutertes are the bigger danger.
this is probably a stupid question but does the prospect of actually selling the country out to the US even register to them

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

this is probably a stupid question but does the prospect of actually selling the country out to the US even register to them

not really. The problem is that "Chinese imperialism / aggression / bullying" is taken as a given, so the opinion is on a spectrum of "the USA is an unalloyed good, and we should absolutely invite them into the country", all the way to "okay, yes, the USA has its problems, but China would be worse"

like, if you say that the USA placing bases in the Philippines would mean that the Philippines makes itself a target in the event of a hot war between the PRC and the USA, where the PRC would have to target American bases on Philippine soil as part of the war between the two of them, that's treated as a null proposition because the assumption is that China is always going to want to invade the Philippines anyway, so it's either a choice of "we get bombed because Americans are here", or "we get bombed because we're getting invaded, period"

and this sort of thing has placed Filipino liberals in a sort of incoherent position:

the "pro-Duterte, pro-China" side claims that they are working with China in order to avoid war over the SCS claims, which the liberals then consider to be appeasement, in the Chamberlain-ian sense

the pro-US side then claims that they don't want war either, but that inviting the Americans over here is a deterrent against war

but we know that this is nonsense, because every time there's an incident of Chinese ships blocking Filipino resupply missions to the Sierra Madre*, and the boats are physically blocked or the most recent instances of water cannons being shot against Filipino sailors, the resulting outcry and outrage from the public, as incited by the media, is that all of this should be good enough reason to invoke the Mutual Defense Treaty of 1951 and the USA should step in to defend the Philippines from an attack by China violent enough to constitutes war

this quickly becomes untenable because every time the Philippine government walks back the issue, or attempts de-escalation, then that gets framed as cowardice in the face of Chinese aggression. You have journalists calling Duterte a traitor on their social media accounts, and then what does that mean when the media organization that they work for has to report on President Marcos saying that he's engaging in talks with the Chinese Foreign Ministry to try and smooth-over relations? The people just end up calling for his head. You can't twist every possible negative interaction with the Chinese as being a precursor to open conflict, and then expect people to take it well when the actual respective governments don't really want an escalation.

at best, what the liberals offer is a position on the SCS that would involve multilateral talks, where you would have Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, and the Philippines (and whoever else) on one side of the table, and then China on the other, and that would somehow force China to a compromise in the SCS that would not require military force, under the premise that the Philippines is so small and so weak that we could never obtain such terms if the talks were bilateral between only Manila and Beijing. But it's ignorant of the fact the Philippines itself has competing claims with all of these other countries - no reason to believe that we'd all get along because any negotiated pull-out of China from [parts of] the SCS would mean squabbling between the other side of the table about who gets what.

___

* to be clear, I don't deny that these things happen, but I personally don't have much sympathy for the leadership that keeps deciding to butt heads about this. If the Philippines wants to send supplies to the Sierra Madre without Chinese interference, we should provide assurances that we're not trying to smuggle in construction equipment onto the ship, and/or even go as far as provide a framework for the removal of the ship. There's no reason for the PRC to trust these Coast Guard/Navy boat trips when the relationship over the Sierra Madre has been tainted with duplicity from the word-go. Frankly, if they demanded observers to go onto our resupply runs to visually inspect that the ships are only carrying food and personal provisions, I would consider that a reasonable concession.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Did they not see Biden just said the US is not going to take part in Israel's further fight with Iran? Everyone just has confidence the US will show up to backup their fight in the SCS?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Did they not see Biden just said the US is not going to take part in Israel's further fight with Iran? Everyone just has confidence the US will show up to backup their fight in the SCS?

when Ukraine was invaded and the USA did not intervene directly, people shrugged it off with "technically Ukraine was not in NATO and did not have a treaty/alliance with America, so it's understandable that the US did not enter the war, but we are different, because we have the MDT, and the VFA/EDCA represent tripwire forces"

I don't think Biden's refusal to intervene with regards Iran bombing Israel has even registered in the public consciousness. Mainstream media here has effectively buried most news about Palestine except where it favors Israel.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/inquirerdotnet/status/1779624774580248650?t=ZW1OHxktjASFq5kUQCAFJQ&s=19

Lol we are running full steam ahead towards some kind of exclusion act

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

it's not like china has a very obvious way to deal with poo poo like this without even the tiniest sliver of violence--

oh no, why do we not have small parts coming in for our industry??? why is lazada shut down???

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

gradenko_2000 posted:

You have journalists calling Duterte a traitor on their social media accounts, and then what does that mean when the media organization that they work for has to report on President Marcos saying that he's engaging in talks with the Chinese Foreign Ministry to try and smooth-over relations? The people just end up calling for his head. You can't twist every possible negative interaction with the Chinese as being a precursor to open conflict, and then expect people to take it well when the actual respective governments don't really want an escalation.

Why do you think China gets such bad press? Simply because it generates clicks?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Weka posted:

Why do you think China gets such bad press? Simply because it generates clicks?

it's partly that, but also a number of other things:

the media just doesn't have the material means to do any kind of deeper investigation, even if they wanted to. There's no budget for it, so they end up taking a ride with AFP helicopters overflying the SCS, and they go on the boats that Chinese ships end up blocking on the way to the Sierra Madre

and even when they don't do that, they use footage taken by the AFP directly, and they transcribe their statements. It's not just that it's a great sensational story, it's also that it's a story handed to them on a silver plate.

Like that recent one about Congressmen wanting large numbers of Chinese students in Cagayan to be investigated - all the media is really doing is quoting their official statements, and letting The Implication handle the rest. Actual due diligence might entail dispatching a reporter to the area and getting some kind of first-hand account, or even ringing-up a local affiliate and getting their commentary rather than driving someone all the way out from Manila, but they neither have the desire nor the resources to do any of that.

I guess this isn't even really a particularly Filipino phenomenon - that's just the reality of media under neoliberalism, but it does happen to magnify the effects of Sinophobic propaganda.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

* to be clear, I don't deny that these things happen, but I personally don't have much sympathy for the leadership that keeps deciding to butt heads about this. If the Philippines wants to send supplies to the Sierra Madre without Chinese interference, we should provide assurances that we're not trying to smuggle in construction equipment onto the ship, and/or even go as far as provide a framework for the removal of the ship. There's no reason for the PRC to trust these Coast Guard/Navy boat trips when the relationship over the Sierra Madre has been tainted with duplicity from the word-go..

Isn't this what the "Gentlemen's Agreement" was? I thought there was a monthly resupply mission the Chinese Coast Guard would allow through, but "irregular" missions they suspect carry construction materials are the ones getting water cannoned.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

tractor fanatic posted:

Isn't this what the "Gentlemen's Agreement" was? I thought there was a monthly resupply mission the Chinese Coast Guard would allow through, but "irregular" missions they suspect carry construction materials are the ones getting water cannoned.

I'm not exactly sure if the agreement was "we will not send resupply missions anymore" or if it was "we will only send resupply missions that we guarantee are not carrying construction materials"

presumably it was the latter, because the troops there have not starved yet
and presumably it did work, because the harassment only really stepped up once Marcos came into office

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I guess the agreement was "Philippines will only resupply non reinforcement material in Duterte's term, and not make SCS news for the US, and China will not pull the broken ship out of 2nd Thomas Shoal and will not build new features on the Scarboro Shoal"

I remember reading both Duterte and Macros in their visit to China promised to remove the ship eventually (after the visits, in less official sources, not on the readouts), but I doubt this was part of the gentleman's agreement because I bet one dollar both presidents want to kick this can down the road.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

I guess the agreement was "Philippines will only resupply non reinforcement material in Duterte's term, and not make SCS news for the US, and China will not pull the broken ship out of 2nd Thomas Shoal and will not build new features on the Scarboro Shoal"

I remember reading both Duterte and Macros in their visit to China promised to remove the ship eventually (after the visits, in less official sources, not on the readouts), but I doubt this was part of the gentleman's agreement because I bet one dollar both presidents want to kick this can down the road.

yeah it was probably something like that

and, again, the whole question of the Sierra Madre getting removed predates Duterte

this is an article that talks about how, in 2013, the Philippines was claiming that they couldn't remove the Sierra Madre from the shoal because they couldn't afford it. This is important, because it means that up until this time, the position of the Philippine government was that they wanted to remove the ship, but had difficulty in the implementation of it - and in that context, it makes sense that China would offer to do it at their own expense.

then, less than a year later, the PH gov't officially announces that, well, actually, all this time, they had intended for the Sierra Madre to be a permanent installation. They were lying to the Chinese! No wonder they don't trust us!

and moreover, this proves that the reversal of positions didn't begin with Duterte;

- the ship ran aground during Estrada's term, and he denied saying he was going to have the Sierra Madre removed

- the ship was still aground during Arroyo's term, and she denied saying she was going to have the Sierra Madre removed

- PNoy Aquino was president from 2010 to 2013, when that exchange with Wang Yi happened
- and he was president from 2014 up to 2016, when the Philippines reversed course
- except Aquino is dead now, so no one can ask him

- but then we get to Duterte's "gentleman's agreement", which wasn't even an agreement to remove the Sierra Madre, just to leave it alone, and this is still considered treasonous, despite us having evidence that at least one prior administration had a more extreme position than he did. It's just that when they lie about it, the public believes the lie!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://apnews.com/article/philippines-us-military-china-marcos-a89fc14bdef820b83d4a18adb557b487

Weird, it was looking like marcos was trying to politicize the whole duterte deal with china. Then he does this sort of 180.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Cao Ni Ma posted:

https://apnews.com/article/philippines-us-military-china-marcos-a89fc14bdef820b83d4a18adb557b487

Weird, it was looking like marcos was trying to politicize the whole duterte deal with china. Then he does this sort of 180.

Macros has already reopened 4 for the US though, so the secret under-the-table negotiation between Macros and Beijing is, how much can Philippines drag their feet on the 4 bases, especially the ones close to Taiwan, in exchange for Beijing not do anything to the 2 shoals during Macros term. He still has 3 years.

Personally, I think Macros is a smart guy, smarter than Yoon and Lai anyway.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

lmao that liberalism discredited itself so much that people showed up in droves to vote for the son of the deposed dictator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Asians love authoritarianism!!