Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Aw dang, and I was hoping to play tonight...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Level sync on planets sure does suck when you want to do something retarded like go back and knock out some kill achievements.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Yep, heroic space missions are just as bad as I remember them.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
What's a Galactic Command?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

The loot box gearing system that drove away anyone that didn't quit in 4.0. At the launch of 5.0 you got your endgame gear completely from RNG loot boxes, which could contain gear with no set bonus, gear with a set bonus, companion gifts, Jawa scrap, and random reputation items. Raiding just gave you Command XP and didn't drop gear, it was 100% RNG.

So you're saying that even with as much as you play, these boxes weren't enough to max out your reputation?

I'll stick with the heroic space missions. It seems less frustrating.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
EA has an exclusive on the Star Wars license for video games, and it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
No, but seriously, where is everyone?

I know I've said that this is a terrible game no one should play, but no one's ever listened to me before...

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
"Somewhat active" in this case meaning that there may be someone else online when you log in.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Remember back at launch when there was a "no alts in the guild" policy, and there still had to be an overflow guild?

In a way, it's kind of amazing that Bioware managed to take all that enthusiasm and interest and just poo poo all over it.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Honestly, it's all pretty bad. Let's not pretend the expansion content was written with even the least bit of regard towards what came before.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

clone on the phone posted:

EA made their bed when they went F2P and instead of a sane model they went all in on the whale system.

The writing was on the wall well before that, when they put a bunch of people who were completely out of touch with the modern MMO market in charge of a $200 million MMO project. The stupid decisions they built into their design meant they had to spent time and money backing out and correcting those things instead of adding new content, which is where an MMO is going to live or die.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Hey guys, I know we don't do a lot of coordinated group stuff here, but I could really use some help with this quest. I've had it in my logs for I don't know how long, but I just can't manage to get it completed. Please help, I could really use the CXP.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Yes.

No.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I get enough of that in real life. I play games to escape.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Hakarne posted:

Make the other difficulties as challenging/rewarding as you want, but "Story Mode" doesn't let truly casual players run through stuff just to get the story.

They already made the story modes dirt simple. Problem is, pugs got worse to compensate. It's a race to the bottom, and there is no floor on pubbie competence.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

All I know is raiding with you guys back when we did it was fun, but it was fun because we all went in with a similar mindset of "we're going to get drunk and probably fail a bunch of times because some people are going to get stuck behind doors repeatedly, but it's ok and we're not going to remember it forever". If I didn't have a guild to be a dumbass with I probably wouldn't have seen any of that stuff or at least I wouldn't have had a good time doing it. Although it was harder then, I guess

You've played enough FFXIV to make an educated comparison. Wouldn't you agree that the earlier introduction of forced dungeoning to progress the main story does a much better job of preparing players, or at least setting expectations?

For those who haven't played, FFXIV requires you to run most of the 4-man dungeons in the game as part of the main storyline, as well as several 8-man boss arena fights. Things start out gentle at level 15, where you can basically faceroll the place, but around level 40, you're expected to have some idea of what you're doing in a party. Then, when the 8 man bosses start showing up, you have to pay attention to mechanics and poo poo or you can wipe the group.

This system was designed around a target Japanese audience who weren't expected to be familiar with the Western style party-based MMO, so it's not like the only option for non-traditional MMO players to see the story is to strip out all the group content. Instead, guide the players to grow into the game, and both the game and their experience will be better off for it.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Forgo PVP for a night or two and hit up the dang planetary commanders, ya doofus.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is it worth getting in the goon guilds for this stuff? Are we still active here?

I haven't played much in the past couple years, but if you're interested in doing stuff, I could be talked into being active.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Not a lot of action in guild chat lately. I guess no one's interested in being social.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Stan S. Stanman posted:

I logged on briefly a few days ago after not playing since I got annoyed with Kotfe’s boring single player and lack of any ops development.

I'm afraid I've got some bad news for you...

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Would love to make it, but tonight is Royal Rumble night. I'm gonna watch some wrasslin'.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Look at loving Star Trek onlinevb

Or even better, don't.

Can you imagine all the creepy RP background people would come up with in this game for their Twi'lek waifus if there was a character bio section like in STO?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I mean, all that would be true if the original design staff didn't have their head stuck in the past. There's a hard limit on how much money you can make when your game just isn't very fun to play and the content runs out in a month, no matter how cool the cutscenes are.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Statutory Ape posted:

so whats changed in the last year

Nothing of note

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Westy543 posted:

According to Reddit this game has been months from shutting down for years, including while it was the 3rd top grossing f2p mmo in 2016.

Talk about damning with faint praise...

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I haven't gotten any achievements lately. I hope I can get one before the contest ends!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Guys,

I did it...

I got an achievement...

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Probably the one that's a random drop from the last bosses of 4 HM flashpoints that nobody runs anymore.

Or maybe the one that drops from Kephess in Nightmare Explosive Conflict. We barely scraped together enough people to run that overleveled before the mandatory level sync was added, and even then we wiped several times to mechanics.

Maybe one of the cartel market exclusive ones that I had to track down after they left common circulation, but before old packs started coming back on the market.

It could be the one that requires a bunch of world boss, including multiple Nightmare Pilgrim, kills. I can't even imagine trying to get that done these days.

Though honestly it's probably the one that was locked behind maximum space fleet reputation. I can't even explain how garbage the heroic space missions are, yet I wound up with two characters' ships in full grade 7 gear specifically for running them.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

How long did you have to camp in CZ to get that Dessler?

I didn't camp that one at all. I just got in the habit of checking the spawn every time I ran through there doing the weekly for rep or conquest or whatever. Eventually, it showed up.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm broke brained and actually think the space rail shooters are fun, but since I hit level 50 all the good missions require level 7 gear and all I have is level 5. There's a bunch of operation missions that are just rerunning old low level missions, do I just keep doing those for commendations or is there a better way?

I wonder how long that feeling will last once you start running the heroic ones...

Some of the pieces are only craftable by Cybertechs. I have the schematics and can make those for you if you're on Star Forge or wherever the hell TNG has been merged to now. One or two pieces are purchasable for credits, and the rest require fleet comms. The pieces aren't bound to character, so you can run missions on alts and buy different pieces to gear up one ship faster.

At some point, the grade 7 gear was all available in the Cartel Market for coins, but I believe they got removed.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Have fun however you want, it's still a pretty decent single-player game. Just don't expect a big guild presence in a game where they've struggled to give people fun things to do together.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
You can skip me. Now that I have my white whale, I don't have much reason to log in anymore.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Nah, the post-Makeb stuff is awful.

The waifu obsession is terrible as well, though.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
That sounds like the sort of thing a nice guild would do.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Warmachine posted:

They'd have better luck with setting up a Kickstarter, with the goal of buying the license out from under EA.

Would accomplish the same thing (nothing), but one is realistic, while the other is pissing in the ocean.

BRB, setting up a GoFundMe.

That's the non-refundable one best utilized for complete scams, right?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

yeah the BH has neat armor sets, a pretty good set of companions (besides torian)

How did you misspell Skadge that badly?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

Oh yeah? What did we talk about? I was a bit drunk near the end :D.

Our hero Non-Entity was there passing out tshirts!

What the hell? If you jerks had told me you'd be there, I could have taken some vacation time.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

AGGGGH BEES posted:

I wish there were some leg armor pieces that weren't tights, tights with armor plates, or floor length dresses. Where are the skirts and shorts?

Did someone say shorts?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

Awwww I miss you Oedzi.

Come play catgirls. We have a tremendous assortment of shorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

There's something really off-putting about this key art:

Yeah, I hate to pop in here after a long absence just to be negative, but that is comically bad.