Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dick Trauma posted:

More time for STELLARIS! :hellyeah:

Have they said anything about adding Death Stars yet. I really want to play but don't want to come back until they implement superweapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

nonentity posted:

Also,

Enjoy

Really appreciate that you dipped into the lore for the Clawcraft speeder. Great stuff all around. Really dig the minimalist look of the sabers.

Do you know why they originally went with the hip holster for dualsabers when the holster slot seems to have always been mutable? Like why not shoulder like the pike is, or horizontally across the back like I seem to remember Maul carrying his? Some of the larger dualsaber models look especially goofy in this configuration which is a shame considering how cool they look otherwise.

And maybe you can't speak to this being on the weapons side, but after KOTOR II and even like CoH cloth physics in games were pretty advanced, why did we start out with robe/cape models in this game that looked like they were made from hard action figure plastic? Whenever I see a chest with a cape or a long jacket I always dismiss it out of hand because I know it's going to bother me seeing my guy run in third person view with his perpetually fanned out cape.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

nonentity posted:

That was not my call initially, but I've had some say in it lately, so I've been putting the better dual sabers on the back.

Is it just the polearms or have you been making some of the new dualsabers back holstered as well? Might roll an auto-70 Assassin if so.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Nipponophile posted:

Remember back at launch when there was a "no alts in the guild" policy, and there still had to be an overflow guild?

In a way, it's kind of amazing that Bioware managed to take all that enthusiasm and interest and just poo poo all over it.

Well to top that all off Disney has managed to kill my enthusiasm for any new Star Wars projects going forward with the absolute turd The Last Jedi turned out to be.

The only thing good left is this game and Rebels. Once they're done I'm out.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

I think tonight I'm gonna try and take advantage of the double valor for as many hours as I can stay awake, since Valor 80-100 achievements are some of the few I don't have (downside to playing alts instead of focusing, I have about 12 characters at Valor 60).

Would be cool to have some goon PvP fun, where I can angrily yell into Discord "STOP THE loving CAP" rather than just yelling into a screen.

I'm down.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

That's impressive. Of course since all Yavin records are wiped clean every match it's gone forever. :)

Goon PvP was fun last night! We won most of our matches until Turbl left us, and then we did okay for a few. Particularly impressive was the arena where 3 goons died and one brave Operative had to 2 on 1 a remaining tank and DPS. Fortunately the tank was really bad. :)

Seconding this. We should get a regular group going. I can do after 9 PM most nights and pretty much anytime on the weekend.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Small thing, but it's kind of funny how the automatic name generator on character creation gives you names that are already taken or are invalid.

That's because it's not really possible (or at least easy, or worth the devs' time) to make a truly randomized name generator that still makes sense phonetically. It's always going to be based on a dictionary file of syllables or phonemes, and it's only going to seem as random as you can make that file expansive. I've managed to get the same exact names over after trying long enough, so it's possible it's as simple as a big list of silly premade names.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Maybe a stupid question, but are any of the Jedi questlines, well, not Jedi questlines? I would like to play as a Jedi but I hate how they try and force you to play as a Proper Jedi, aka all bullshit stoicism. Is there a good way to say "gently caress that" but still get a lightsaber?

LS Warrior pretty much.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Westy543 posted:

So I logged in for the first time in like 6 months, and they have hella things for direct sale in the cartel market now (as opposed to from crates). Is this a holiday sale, or did they permanently expand the direct buy offerings?

They're slowly expanding it by rotating in the things they see selling for the most on the GCN for limited time periods because $$$. Stuff like Senya's Pike which went for a hundred mil plus when it first came out has been on there.

They also have made handfuls of new armors and things that have gone direct sale and are pretty cool (Jedi Survivalist is pretty bitchin' I think).

In all yeah there's way more stuff because it makes them money and there's no limit on warehouse space for pretty princess dress-up, they just create artificial supply shortage as needed to drive up demand.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Statutory Ape posted:

and yet i've found multiple girlfriends this way

swipe right

Astounding username/post combo.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Nipponophile posted:

Not a lot of action in guild chat lately. I guess no one's interested in being social.

We're all in discord

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

The devs are already talking about 6.0 which I imagine would be a end of this year release so they're planning at least a year out anyways.

Not sure where the story goes from here, it's time for a new big bad and story companions...Vitiate/Revan/Lana/Theron are done. It'd be nice if the rest of the 5.0 time was spent tearing down the Alliance as a sort of soft-reset because the quicker the game moves past KotFE/KotET the better.

Whatever the next story is hopefully it has less droids, less corridors, and characters who actually have a connection to the existing world.

The game really needs to find a way to get more out of the scenery. Mini cutscenes when you reach a certain point to give more flavor to the locale, underline really beautiful scenery they put a lot of work into, etc. And in general cutscenes need a better sense and showcasing of scale.

basic hitler posted:

I'm actually giving this game another play thru, briefly as i know it will be.

Best thing a star wars MMO could do is basically go back and make something like SWG pre CU/NGE and design the combat systems and such far more competently and upgrade everything else with more modern design sensibility, but keeping the heart of what that game is/was.

EA is just as incapable of making something that good as SOE was though.

I didn't finish KOTFE story stuff, i'm hoping this trial will allow me to resume it and finish it before it runs out, i don't really feel like paying for another month of this just to wrap up this story unless there are actually differences between how it plays out factionally/classwise

This is a decent single player game, but they made it an MMO for some reason. It would've been way better off if they'd just made a regular rear end single player kotor game and doled DLC content out because i'd be a pretty avid player of that game.

I mean as much as I liked being able to mix and match skills and professions you can't balance a game that way. You end up with the same end result: classes/skill combos that are viable and top of spec, and classes/skill combos that aren't and never get used because of it, regardless of how cool it would be to have a lightsaber smuggler or whatever. That's why the changes from 3.0 happened even though SWTOR never had a system that was anywhere near as flexible as SWG was - there were only a few viable choices, so why add needless UX complexity and make it more difficult for players to succeed and enjoy the game?

Add to that the fact that SWG had no content for ages and ages and ages, and what little content it had was terrible and paper-thin. There essentially was no endgame for large portions of the game's existence, no larger overarching plot. It was really poorly planned and executed and had a long history of pissing off fans and players.

Edit: That said, I remain to this day sad that 5.0 took away my gunslinger's ability to kick people in the balls.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

It's a bit fuzzy to me but I basically cornered the weapon making market on my server because I got lucky on finding resources and was the only crafter that could make the top end blaster or carbine or something. I used the credits from that monopoly to price out my competition on the lower end stuff. I was making credits hand over fist with nothing to spend them on. If I'm remembering right all the best stuff was crafted and since resources were completely random some servers couldn't make the top end stuff because of bad RNG on the resources.

I only got into the weapon making business because the combat was so boring and there was nothing else to really do. I vaguely remember a lot of rabbit, cat, and other small furry animal killing that made me wonder why it was in a Star Wars game.

Then CoH happened and it was bye-bye SW:G.

CoH was the platonic ideal of what content creation in an MMO should look like. There was so much poo poo to do as a casual player you'd almost never run out of stuff. And it was for the most part really good to casual players and from fairly early on.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Turbl posted:

skank tank nerfs

https://youtu.be/N76P4h8jiow

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

Man I've opened a gajillion Tier 4 crates and have never seen this mount before, Feirocian Cruiser.

Space pimpmobile.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Addamere posted:

my foot just moved y itself without any directional input and now its staring into my lungs :nms:

Maybe you should see a doctor?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

Now I'm wondering what the exclusive Izax achievement reward is going to be - I was 100% positive it was that mount, now I guess I'm wrong.

I think data mining suggested that it was actually yo momma

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Statutory Ape posted:

is her name really darth hex id

Beats Anal Kenobi.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Sombrerotron posted:

I feel that Kreia becomes a little less likable as a character when you consider she's essentially Space Ayn Rand who's hella upset about Space Christianity (i.e. the Force) and its predestinating ways.

She's way less likable as a character when you've played a couple of games Chris Avellone has written and realize that she's a crappy Ravel knockoff and he just keeps doing the same plot over and over.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

KittyEmpress posted:

DS Jaesa is far too extreme for me. The fact that one of her first post-gaining conversations involves her Bragging about how she seduced and then murdered a republic officer while having sex, and implies that she got off on the combination of sex + murder... just turned me off her entirely, to the point where I actually restarted my SW and went predominantly light with some dark mixed in, just to get light jaesa.

Both are too extreme and despite being able to 'mix' it, the LS and DS choices are both dumb and extreme in many cases too. LS is constantly Emotion is wrong, lets be jedi, blah blah and Dark side constantly going ONLY THE STRONG DESERVE POWER, MWHAHHA gives mixing it sometimes this... terrible tonal dissonance with itself. The devs really needed to add a third neutral path where you could go 'jee, murdering everyone isn't the best idea, but enjoying life and being free to do it is great!'

The Knight explicitly mentions basically the second part but only in the context of the relationship with Kira. I would say Knight's voice acting is bad (sorry David Hayter) but the writing isn't out--and-out terrible. Warrior has far better writing and voice acting. Consular is bad all around.

The best stories are definitely the ones that allow shades of grey. Agent, Warrior, Smuggler (up to a point, then you're railroaded into being a Republic errand boy), etc.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I feel like it would have been better to have one full-band decoration on a little stage that functionally IS a jukebox, like you click it and they start rockin' out.

Getting visions of Chuck E Cheese in space.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I really don't understand how they can justify keeping a game running like this with no content additions month to month. Like, if you've designed a game in such a way that you can't create some small disposable content for users with every update or so, you don't have a sustainable game.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

Tank stats being changed for PvP. . While it's nice to make Shield and Absorb more useful, I think DPS geared tanks with a shield are still going to be the meta.

Wasn't the problem that defensive stats didn't mitigate player damage types (force and tech), not that it didn't include crits? Doesn't seem like this is doing much if so.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

This change worries me cause it’s going down the road of turning Tanks into passive fat sacks of mitigation where the only “skill” needed is the right gear.

As a full-time fat sack gotta say I don't hate the sound of it.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Verbose posted:

Do they crack down on RMT in this game a lot? I saw a few people offering 2 million credits for 2 bucks, is that legit? Will I get banned?

I would encourage you not to spend real money on this game at all, first. Second, don't buy credits - you'll definitely get your credit card stolen, that's the way those things work. Third, if you're really determined to get credits with real money, just find something from the Cartel Market that's selling for a lot on the GTN, buy with $$$, sell in game once the bind timer expires. Or do tons of PvP and heroics.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Aleth posted:

There was just a livestream of features coming in 5.9.2, including a sweet looking Rishi stronghold with in-built PvP poo poo: http://dulfy.net/2018/07/06/swtor-5-9-2-developer-livestream-coverage-and-notes/

Does that mean they maybe are finally going to add some functional gameplay content to strongholds other than pretty princess dress up? Or is it just meant as an alternative to the guild flagship for guilds?

It would be pretty badass to actually have to defend your base like in CoH.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

You should check out the video, it's pretty badass. There are multiple areas for PvP (grouped or solo duels, a large and small arena) along with a custom Huttball area where you can design it yourself.

In addition, they are adding training dummies to the stronghold (previously could only really use them on your ship as the ones on fleet you couldn't apply health and armor debuffs to).

Unless anyone has any objections, I'll be closing down our Manaan stronghold on 7/31 and buying Rishi. I expect it to be roughly 50 million, but it's going to be a far more useful stronghold than Manaan.

Edit - All you need to know about the new SH

Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Playing Huttball at will with guildies could be pretty sick. Too bad that arena doesn't seem to have any deathtraps to make it interesting.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

jerk irl posted:

Other than the one time experience of the story driven leveling, and the one time experience of gearing up fast for PvP and going on a rampage, solo crushing, 3 at a time, undergeared, underleveled noobs in PvP, and laughing at people of the opposing faction thinking it's because of "mad skillz", which was possible at the launch, is there anything else which is fun about this game?

no

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Berke Negri posted:

pve queues seem to be dead as heck but pvp

pvp is still good

they even added a new GSF map!!

I don't see how, with the model of literally 10 Star Wars movies and however many cartoons and games to go off of at this point, that they've failed to make even one GSF map where the point of the dogfighting is to gently caress up the opposing side's cap ship(s) rather than inexplicably wanting you to stop your space ship over top of a satellite.

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 23, 2018

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

s0urc3 posted:

My WoW sub just gave up and I don't have the money to re-up.

So I got a question:

My WoW gameplay was half high-ish level PvE/PvP and half idly gathering/cooking/AH/repeat while reading trash fiction/watching YouTube in another window. Fishing in WoW was especially great because I never had to do anything but leave half the screen up and click-when-the-noise-happens and built a nice income from it.

There anything in tor that rewards applying those idle-brain-cycles in a similar fashion?

Also, in case they haven't been tested in a while, I tried the codes from OP:

NYCANTINA17 - did not work
NYCantina16 - worked
SWCELEBRATION17 - worked
SWCANTINA17 - worked

My man, just spitballing here, but if you don't have enough money to pay for WoW maybe you should work on that first before worrying about finding another MMO to play for free.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Medullah is right, it's a fuckin terrible movie.

Luke Skywalker deserved better than a character assassination and to die straining on the force toilet Elvis-style.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just so tired of all these Star Wars

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo that is hilarious

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's a shame there's so much wasted potential in the game. I imagine the cash shop does pretty alright for EA and that justifies keeping the lights on, and the expenditures on developing new content are kinda underwritten by the promise that it'll drive active users back up and get people buying things again whenever user counts start to sag. But the budget is probably determined by sales from the cash shop and what a reasonable investment would be in order to shore up that revenue stream?

Still, it would be awesome to just have more content. Give us procedurally generated dungeons with random text-based encounters like we got in KOTFE alliance alerts. Give me anything that lets me do something with my Jedi action figure other than sit on the shelf. Hell, give the tools to the community and let them design dungeons and write scripts and let someone on the dev team curate it (this is kinda halfway realized with strongholds and would be a waaaaaaay better use of that system).

I'd love to have a reason to jump in and play some dumb, low-commitment stuff. The way the game is and the way content comes down the pipe though, I just... don't? The production schedule can never keep up with long-term players ability to eat though the content.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ossipago posted:

Doesn't STO have player generated quests? We'd just end up with a endless stream of TLJ rewrites.

Yeah that's a thing Cryptic has done going back as far as CoH/CoV. And yeah, user-submitted stuff is going to be predictably crap, so have someone curate a select few for a showcase. People selected get rewards like rare items or funbux or whatever. Six new quests a month using recycled assets is a hell of a lot better than one new daily area every 6 months.

CoH didn't even really need user submitted stuff because they had no problem cranking out content, so much so that at a certain point there was just way more than you'd ever be able to see unless you were an extreme poopsocker. What they didn't really have to my recollection was a good way to find groups for a lot of the early days of the game.

SWTOR is so on rails that the world doesn't really feel like you inhabit it. Once the ride's over the only thing to do really is get off. It would just be cool to have a stream of lower-effort content for people who like the game and want to play it but have basically done everything.

I'd sign on for something dumb and gimmicky like a procedurally-generated roguelike in SWTOR or something (I guess that's kind of what Kuat was). As it is outside of the drips and drabs of like 2 hours of new story content 3-4 times a year it's just a treadmill of the same old stuff. And so eventually you're just like, well I could be doing something valuable with my time instead of playing the same stuff over again.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
They should make a 100v100 Battle Royale PvP mode. Just reuse the existing world maps.

Also like 16 new Huttball maps + some kind of interguild league play and a Huttball superbowl 4 times a year.

Edit: I think SWTOR has a real problem with the perfect being the enemy of the good. There's just such a paucity of content because they set such a high standard. Just crap out either a bunch of low-effort content or something with a little more replay value so we have something to do after we finish the story stuff.

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 7, 2019

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Do you guys not know what Battle Royale means? There's no reason the frame rate should poo poo itself either if everyone is spread out across the entire map and get pushed together gradually as people off each other. I'm not saying it would be the most amazing thing ever, it's just something they could implement without having to create new resources that would add a little variety and keep the game relevant.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Cease to Hope posted:

a lot of the 50 stories involve wandering around in order to find and beat up the guy who was introduced five minutes ago, who has no discernible inner life or motivation other than being there for you to beat up

don't level a bounty hunter is what i'm saying

I think ultimately what you come up against is that an MMO with an immersive story experience is necessarily a contradiction in terms, and when you try to make something like that it results in an end product that has the weaknesses of both and the strengths of neither.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm with DrunkenGarbageCan.

It's better to have your character be a kingmaker than a king in terms of narrative flexibility.

But also the really predictable and sort of laborious gauntlet of guys inside of huts and cookie-cutter dungeons separated by a huge, empty open world with nothing in it but angry mobs that you spend all your time speedering past don't do the story or gameplay any favors. The story is too shallow to justify the focus on it, and the gameplay isn't diverse or engaging enough because there's such a high standard for the story (with !!!!!16!!!!! voice actors reading basically identical lines for every new expansion at this point).

I guess what I'm describing is a lack of meaningful connective tissue. In KOTOR you had sidequests with real drama to them that padded out the main story thread and made the hubs feel alive. In SWTOR it's a bunch of guys that you know are there to tell you to collect 18 wampa asses and come back to them (it seems like the starter planet sidequests had more meat to them and it dropped off as you went along).

And maybe that's also partly because leveling is so screwed up at this point and all of the planetary quests are the same for everyone, so you just end up skipping all of that and end up with a story quest that's just a bunch of checkboxes that you're hauling rear end overland for no good goddamn reason to get to.

I still have class stories I haven't finished because I just end up thinking I could be doing something better than running through the same 8 planets or whatever it is with slightly different words at the end of each cave. Not to mention that 2/3rds of your time is spent just getting from one cave to the next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

You ain't special but we thank you for your service to the Jedi Order. There's some weird stuff happening on Naboo go check it out (min. level 35 required).

I'd love a game that was basically a Jedi Order jobber a la Qui-gon and Obi-wan doing odd jobs and getting into poo poo like Geralt.

One of the coolest things in KOTOR is when you take the test to decide what class you should be, they give you a scenario like: you hear a scream, what do you do? And I thought at the time, oh man if they just turn me loose to be a Jedi knight errant, have gun will travel, coming into town and solving whatever random bad poo poo is going down for folks like the A-team, that would loving rule.

Of course it didn't end up quite being that, but I can still dream.