Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Coming back after a couple years off, and man is it satisfying to be able to just play through the 1-50 class stories without bothering with anything else. When I last played, the 'XP boost' to the storyline wasn't around yet, and it sucked having to do all the random quests everywhere. Being able to just mainline the story drug means I might actually be willing to play through all 8 classes at some point now. Each planet's pretty quick given that you can taxi everywhere from the start, quick travel without cooldown, and basically have a single quest per area on each planet.

I'm seriously excited at how accessible 'catching up' is in this game, even though I get why other people might be upset at all these changes over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryce
May 21, 2011

IncelThreadGasser posted:

If anything the casuals who just play for story are finite, since they're going to quit earlier. And futzing about is what you want your players to do in a subscription based game.

I mean, yeah, you can look at it this way. But as one of those casuals, I'm plenty happy. There are already too many games begging for my time. If I can come back once in a while, play through the new story, and leave to check out another game, I'm ridiculously satisfied.

I would never suggest I'm in the majority here, but I appreciate that they're looking out for me.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Cythereal posted:

(and please don't tell me the story is going to force me to take over the Eternal Throne)

Okay, I won't tell you this.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Lum_ posted:

sounds like you skipped some patch content after KoET - start with the new Iokath quest on your ship quest terminal (this happens after finishing KoET), then the flashpoint "Crisis on Umbara", then " A Traitor Among the Chiss" (Copero) and then "The Nathema Conspiracy" and you should be caught up.

If you start Ossus, I think you can no longer do these quests (though you can run the flashpoints themselves). Starting Ossus autocompletes all prior story quests (I think).

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Medullah posted:

There's still some issues with companions having duplicates but it's not a huge deal. For the preset choices, thats not a bug and will be for if you skip content - if you did everything up til 5.10, you'll keep those choices (though there are some visual bugs in the interface from what I hear).

I think worst-case remaining bug is some people have both Dark and Light Jaesa available to them, but the wrong one is going to be removed in the future (so don't pour gifts into the other one, for example). Given that this bug is 'in favor of the player', though, really not a huge deal to go ahead and play right now.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
All new/returning companions are 'playersexual' (in that, they're always attracted to you, regardless of gender).

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Sombrerotron posted:

I believe that at best, the game might've launched with a better quality-of-life standard - and even then, I expect the improvements would've been largely limited to, say, letting you customise the interface and offering you a properly functional group finder. It seems clear to me that traversing every world, for example, was made into an arduous task because the game simply didn't have enough content yet to keep most people occupied long enough otherwise. If you recall, unless you wanted to constantly do FPs or something, you were pretty much required to do all sidequests as well if you wanted to keep up with the game's levelling curve. The game's changed tremendously over the years, but that's only because so much content has been added and because hardly anyone would still be willing to sink as much time into it just to get to the end of the original single player content as they would at launch (and even then, large numbers of players most likely didn't bother).

I think a lot of the pre-launch/launch problems can be attributed to an insistence that SWTOR could compete with "WoW At Launch" instead of what WoW had actually evolved into by late 2012. Most suggestions of bringing the game up-to-date with the latest and greatest MMO improvements (like, an LFG tool, or a more generous leveling curve) were met with "WoW didn't need that at launch, so we don't either." Obviously scope was already a problem, so on the one hand I understand the hesitation to add more to an already huge project, but their reasoning and logic was faulty.

Thankfully, they scrambled at launch to quickly build an LFG tool (and other various QoL features) and got it into one of the first few post-release patches, if I recall correctly.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

HotBobaloo posted:

If I just wanted to plow through the story with minimal effort, what class should I boost to 65?

Would strongly recommend either doing the 60 boost or the 70 boost, but not the 65. 65 drops you in the middle of KotFE and KotET, and KotET is literally "Part 2" of a two-part story, so it's not going to be very helpful/fun for you. 60 will let you jump straight into the "Telltale game"-style content that got started with KotFE, but you'll be blocked from Class Story. 70 will let you play all content from the beginning while at max level (you get scaled down, but you'll still be overleveled). I did a 70 boost and it was a lot of fun; you still gain 'levels' via the Command system so you'll get free endgame crates as you play the old content.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Ended up fixing it, just had to do a clean install since the last one was on top of a partial install with saved stuff. Finally finishing KotFE and then KotET... apparently there's more new story stuff after, now?

Also I'm getting a weird issue where my forward running seems to stick and be really slow, like my guy is running in water, but if I jump or strafe slightly, it breaks it, and my auto run forward doesn't seem to be affected. Anyone ever have that? How do I get rid of it, it's really annoying.

Did you accidentally press your Toggle Run/Walk button? It should be "Numpad /" by default.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Medullah posted:

Are you using a Sith Warrior by chance? Hearing a lot of grumbling that Warriors have some lag.

It's Vette, specifically. Put her away and you should be fine.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Chickenwalker posted:

It's happening for me with Shae Viszla too. I think it might be some creeping issue with the ranged companions.

Hmmmmmmm, that's not good. We know why Vette's happening (has to do with some insane server calls that are being spammed when it's checking if she wants to talk to you or not), but only the 'original' companions have that issue. Shae shouldn't have any calls ever since they don't have those 'talk to you in private' conversations. Lemme pass this along, thanks.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

clone on the phone posted:

The same thing is happening on your personal starship too so it’s not just a companion issue.

Yeah, that makes sense, since that space is doing a conversation check as well (on all your companions).

Pryce
May 21, 2011

rizzen posted:

Man I'm having a hard time deciding what class to main through the new content (everything post 50, basically). I've played all the class stories before on launch, but it's been difficult finding a spec that plays pretty fluidly that I like. So far I've tried a Marauder, Jugg and Sorc. I'm curious what you guys that play at 70 think is the most fun?

Do you have any comparable classes/specs from other MMOs that you like? That might help narrow it down, since 'most fun' is pretty subjective.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Medullah posted:

It's pretty cool. I was actually at the Cantina event and got to talk to some of the bioware folks. They seem to want to simplify gearing while giving some options for people that want to make it more complex. Musco told me "For example, you're an Operative, our goal is to make it so Volatile Substance doesn't need to be part of your rotation of you don't want it to be, OR you can make it so it's automatically applied"

Oh holy crap, I talked to you last night and knew your name looked familiar but couldn’t place it. Hope you had fun!

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Medullah posted:

Oh yeah? What did we talk about? I was a bit drunk near the end :D.

Was that because I kept handing you more drink tickets? We know how to be good hosts after 8 years :P

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Medullah posted:

Sadly I wasn't able to score too many free drink tickets so my Visa card is very angry.

Were you the one who came up to the table to talk to us right at the beginning?

Okay first of all, you hosed up, we always have more drink tickets. But thank you for helping us hit our bar tab minimum without much trouble :P

But yeah, I'm pretty sure I came and hung out right at the start(?); were you sitting in the darkness?

Enough of the Medullah/Pryce lovefest though, everyone else tell me what you think/love/hate about the announcement so I can bring it back to the team. We're extremely extremely nervous about stuff and want to help address concerns as early and earnestly as possible.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Tons and tons of details about itemization/gearing is forthcoming, we've barely even broached the surface of what's planned. Tacticals is only a single system, we haven't mentioned the other stuff :)

Definitely fair concerns about how this shakes out though; I think we're all hyperaware of recent game releases and itemization decisions across many other games (not just the obvious ones you're probably thinking of) and are making sure we address every common concern about how 'horizontal progression' tends to work out.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Medullah posted:

There's a Skype number you can call for free.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/star-wars/star-wars-the-old-republic/swtor-support has the VOIP info down at the bottom. Not sure if it's free or not, though.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Do black on black dyes still sell insanely well? I usually stock up on them when they (rarely) are 50% off the market.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm playing on Malgus, no guild though.

Is it just me or is Ziost's quest triggering wrong? Why do I have to go to space all the time? Why won't the taxis trigger the next part of the story quest? Why do they even exist?

It's sort of a spoiler to answer that question, but you'll know why the game needs you off the planet if you keep playing.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Medullah posted:

Pryce, you gonna fix the Nar Shaddaa planetary heroic bug before 6.0, or are me and DrunkenGarbageCan going to get to 75 not leaving the guild ship? :D

Tell me more! You referring to this guy? https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comments/5zdszz/pssst_dont_tell_anybody_but/

Siegkrow posted:

Any more news regarding the expac?

Big info dump coming this week on the livestream: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9731235#edit9731235

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Huuuuuuge blog went up yesterday laying out all the gearing changes for 6.0:

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/article/20190603-0

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

The only subscriber-only area is Section X, an old daily area and also where you get HK-47 as a companion. (Raids and ranked PVP are also subscriber only.)

:actually: it's HK-51

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Medullah posted:

Patch notes for tomorrow -

Well it was fun while it lasted. :D

I was promised some tears from this patch note and I have yet to see any.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Medullah posted:

I know I'm super upset. Now I'm wondering if you had left it out if there would be complaints.

Either way I feed on salty anger and I hunger

Here we go: https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comments/cdz4lo/rip_quick_nar_shaddaa_command_points/

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Cythereal posted:

And it's definitely not the actual in-game loading screen art. I have no idea at all who that blonde guy with the glowstick is supposed to be.

https://twitter.com/SWTOR/status/1152764936143159301

Pryce
May 21, 2011

nonentity posted:

hmmmm it's glorious

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm you wouldn't happen to know anything about this eh?

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Ossipago posted:

Does this mean earn achievements in the PTS? Is there a list of what to do?

Hasn't started yet; there'll be news on the website when it's time to get to work.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Medullah posted:

The achievement is active though, will it reset?

Hmm. It shouldn't be active. We're gonna wipe before we do the actual Spoils of War testing; that's when we'll be tracking the achievement (since we'll want people to run flashpoints/ops to help test the new loot system).

EDIT: Ah crap, I realize why it's active. I screwed up. :P

Pryce fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 4, 2019

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Medullah posted:

Are you guys going to allow for transfers in next phase? It's hard to test fully without the legacy class buffs, companion bonuses and field respec.

Definitely. It was disabled so we could semi-control which classes most people have access to (other than sneaky folks finding ways around it), and because we wanted to discourage any numerical theorycrafting while we had placeholder balance numbers in there. As soon as the rest are in and we have the first balance pass ready we'll turn on transfers for some real testing.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

CODChimera posted:

So if i'm subbed I can play all the expansion content, I can't actually buy them separately, is this correct?

Correct, but you only need to sub for a month to have access to the content forever. So effectively, $15 to own it all permanently.

(Might want to wait until October if you're thinking about being stingy with your sub; do it after Onslaught comes out so that you get access to that as well.)

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Medullah posted:

I put my feedback in the forums but geez dude, getting more rewards for running a 10 minute veteran Hammer Station than a Story Mode KP.... That's a bad move. I'm cool with the random FP loot, but there needs to be more personal loot in Ops.

I am still pumped for 6.0 of course.

Drop rates are easy to tweak and are definitely not final/accurate right now. Leave forum feedback on the rate of acquisition and it should be easy to change.

Forgetting drop rates for a sec (easier said than done), does the overall concept of what they’re going for at least work in theory, even if the numbers suck right now?

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Medullah posted:

Yeah I like it quite a bit. I think Operations should always drop better gear than flashpoints, but I like that it's dropping all sorts of viable green gear.

As it is right now, it's far more efficient for two people to chain run Hammer Station. I want that to be an option, but there still needs to be motivation to run Ops or PvP.

I also like the Amplifiers in theory, but I think turning them off in PvP would be my recommendation since balancing them for PvP is going to be a nightmare and go against the decision of bolstering to max to make skill more important.

Hey we just found a bug that's making Ops drop bad/wrong loot. So that's a thing we'll fix next week :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryce
May 21, 2011

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Got my 5 group activities on the PTS...I guess FP's now scale down instead of up? Hammer Station was lvl 17, cleared it 5 times in less than 15 minutes by just running straight to bosses gathering everything up on the way then AoE'ing everything down.

A good change for lowbie groups lacking heals though.

They're not supposed to be as EZmode as they are right now; still working on the balance for Veteran.

Master Mode feels like an actual "hey use a proper group" challenge now; not sure that we're happy with it yet though.