Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
http://www.swtor.com/r/TkMbdV

Dropping my code because GIVE SOME GOON LOVE TO A FELLOW THAT'S NO GOON.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So I reinstalled and when I try to Launch, it just kills the launcher screen and nothing happens. Have tried various things like deleting bitraider to force a repair and whatnot, as well as reboots. Nada.

:wtc:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ended up fixing it, just had to do a clean install since the last one was on top of a partial install with saved stuff. Finally finishing KotFE and then KotET... apparently there's more new story stuff after, now?

Also I'm getting a weird issue where my forward running seems to stick and be really slow, like my guy is running in water, but if I jump or strafe slightly, it breaks it, and my auto run forward doesn't seem to be affected. Anyone ever have that? How do I get rid of it, it's really annoying.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Pryce posted:

Did you accidentally press your Toggle Run/Walk button? It should be "Numpad /" by default.

No, that was the first thing I checked. It's a weird stuttery jank like he's stuck in the ground, then he runs fine if I jump or strafe a little.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Unrelated: This game is nice on an Ultrawide monitor. Highly recommend swapping it over to one, if you have a multi-monitor setup.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

You also have membership for 3months so you should be bumrushing one of the story modes or making a level 60 and jumping straight into KotFE (don't actually do this, the base storylines are still the best thing in this game) since you get a bunch of companions that way and once you get into the expansions you will literally have 20+ companions to choose from, who can all do any role.

The one thing you should definitely buy asap are the Rocket Boots since you can use them basically everywhere and they speed up movement.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

How many of those would you actually want to use on any regular basis, though?

Blizz
HK-55
Z0-0M
Khem Val
The Togruta pirate guy
Uh...

HK-55 still has Assassinate.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Medullah posted:

No he doesn't. He was introduced in 4.0 so he has the generic 'Single Gun Ranged Companion" move set.

Oh I was going based off his little bonus mission with Z0-0M where he has it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

My game was fine and then on Tuesday every time I tried to play it would run fine but then every 2 min or so the game would just lock for up to 20 seconds at a time and then continue. No idea why. Anyone ever had that happen? Wondering if it's a server side thing since things like enemy aggro would also lock, so I wouldn't come back to a bunch of damage or anything.

Also I'm still in That's No Goon on Empire side, AND I WILL NEVER LEAVE.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Medullah posted:

Are you using a Sith Warrior by chance? Hearing a lot of grumbling that Warriors have some lag.

I am. That could be it. Actually, come to think of it it might be every time I leap. Will have to check tonight.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Pryce posted:

It's Vette, specifically. Put her away and you should be fine.

I'm on that chapter of KotET where you're forced to use her. :gonk:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Another thing with the outfit system: You can put dyes directly into an outfit slot, but the dye is consumed and will be gone forever if you put a different item in the slot. If you're using any kind of rare or expensive dye, it's better to dye the actual item, then stamp it into the outfit, then store it in your bank. That way you've got a backup if you rearrange your outfit.

This is important advice.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

http://www.swtor.com/r/TkMbdV

Use my code, assholes!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Agent and Sith Warrior are by far the best overall stories. Sith Warrior also has the best version of KotFE and KotET, if you have those (anyone that says Knight is wrong, the Warrior has way more special dialogue and flows more logically, considering the nature of the storyline)

The only actually BAD storyline is Trooper, really. Everything else is still good, it's just those two are head and shoulders above the rest. Even Trooper isn't straight terrible, it's just... ehhh?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

The Sith Warrior is a bootlicker.

Not when you play a Light Sided one. My guy was a badass who took no names, and you invariably cease to be a bootlicker (KotFE/ET)when you break with the Emperor and come to the realization that the entire reason he made you his Wrath and whatnot is because he's been slowly grooming you to be his replacement body for Valkorian. This is why Arcann and Vaylin hate you, because Valkorian cares more about you than either of them. It actually makes the KotFE/ET storyline a little more personal than just "stand by and watch this family disintegrate into poo poo" since you are directly personally involved and partially responsible for the situation.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Siegkrow posted:

I feel the Knight also works very well because it changes from "You were being groomed as a replacement body" to "you became the first equal he has had in centuries and he decided to scrap all his plans to make you his replacement" which IMO fits better with the speed the family fell apart.

Eh, the tension with Vaylin and Arcann I feel makes far more sense with SW specifically because it's been hanging over their heads for over a decade at that point. Also all the mindscape stuff and those conversations are REALLY specific when you're an SW and have several more lines than any other class. The specific dynamic of the two force masters you meet becomes directly reminiscent of the original trilogy when you're coming from the Imperial side, as well, which seems pretty intentional. Smuggler also doesn't matter, alignment wise.

I mean ultimately, play what you want to make the story your own, but if you're coming in fresh and just want to get the "ideal experience" then you should probably just play the expansions as a Sith Warrior.

And yeah, in general the best class stories are when you play as the alignment opposite your Faction, with the exception of Agent where you should ignore alignment entirely and just be as pragmatic as possible, which incidentally makes you stay almost perfectly neutral without outside bumps, which is also not an accident.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Aleth posted:

To which I point out that everyone forgets the whole 'Emperor's Voice' bit of the SW story.

This, and also why you jump up the ranks to Wrath so quickly.

Plus, the JK story is just so, so, so much worse than the SW one.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Imagine blessed as baras :sigh:

Baras's voice was perfect, gently caress you.

Blessed should have played Soa. That Op would have been way more bearable then.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Baras was basically the Ur-Goon voice.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Marr was too good for the galaxy far, far away. :911:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Brave New World posted:

I too recently started playing this since early Feb. I hate leveling too fast, especially considering that SWTOR is really more of an old school BioWare story-based RPG like KOTOR I & II. I've been sticking exclusively to the Class quests and each planet's main storyline. So far I have a 49 Gunslinger(saboteur) who's currently in Chapter 3 on Voss, and a 31 Guardian on Alderan.

I also like the illusion of having at least a modicum of loving challenge, so I put my companions on passive and only take them off that if an elite is kicking my rear end. It's pretty much normal MMO questing like that.

Next up is Sith Assassin(I'm thinking Darkness or Hatred) and Imperial Sniper. Would Marksman play too much like my Gunslinger?

Edit: Definitely go with the Amazon deal, it's a great bargain. Also add an authenticator for a free 100 CC per month.

Play as an Operative. They're super, super fun and it fits more with the Agent storyline's vibe, anyway. (Lethality is a drat fun spec, to boot) Sniper is literally the exact same thing as your Gunslinger, just palette swapped. Operative is the actual other class option for the stealth non-Force people.

As for Assassin, Madness is the best PvE build solely because it's lots of AoE spam so you can handle groups really easily and stack DoTs on single targets. A lot of the Shadow/Assassin style is to use your 1 minute mezz on a hard target and then clear out the trash quickly so you can focus on just the one tougher enemy. Works well. Or.... you just stealth past most of the poo poo with rocket boots on to speed up the process, and zoom zoom and have a good time. (Also, Light Side Inquisitor storyline is far more interesting than the DS one, and generally speaking it pays to bring the actual companions the story gives you, not any of the weirdo extras you can get now, because they usually have something relevant to say in cutscenes pretty often)

I'd say you should go Marauder for your Sith Warrior, since that's the other class for JK/SW, but holy poo poo they're so annoying to play with all of their specs, and honestly I've always thought the Jugg is just far, far cooler... in terms of sheer style and looking awesome in play, Jugg and Powertech are my personal two favorite classes in the game, solely because they have a ton of really unique and badass looking animations that just work so drat well to sell the vibe of each class.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 11, 2019

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Medullah posted:

You're confusing Madness (Sorc discipline) with Hated (Assassin discipline). Hatred has a LITTLE extra AOE with Death Field, but it's still significantly inferior to Deception. Leveling up, DoTs and spreading is nice, but mobs are dead so fast it's barely noticable. Once you get to 70 Deception of better than hatred in every respect, especially with the Phantom Stride reset utility which let's you bounce around killing trash like Nightcrawler

Ahh yeah, nice. Yeah I'm not up on the new meta, I haven't played an Assassin since uhh... The game first came out, basically. I should probably swap specs on the Shadow I'm currently working on, I went whatever the Hatred equivalent was because I figured the AoE spam would be superior.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Yeah, my thought process was more that the stealth specs with backstabs rely heavily on you opening with a backstab from stealth, and a lot of story missions will just transition straight into a fight where you can't setup a stealth strike and whatnot. That was the big struggle I'd had with my Assassin years ago, at least.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Brave New World posted:

Saboteur, but the advice is exactly what I expected. BioWare's class spec videos make sniper look almost identical to what I'm already doing. I'll probably give Lethality a shot.

Guardian = Juggernaut
Sentinel = Marauder

Sage = Sorceror
Shadow = Assassin

Vanguard = Powertech
Commando = Mercenary

Scoundrel = Operative
Gunslinger = Sniper

They are literally the exact same classes, and while the powers have different names and the specs do too, they are all EXACTLY the same, just with different animations (in most cases). Sniper is straight up the exact same class you're already playing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I have 90 million in my legacy bank, pretty sure there's no cap, but I'm still subbed.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Sounds cool.

Tell them to add Collection dye colors and just make them cost a lot of CC.

Will Dxun ONLY be the Op? And why the hell is it not Mandalorian themed, Dxun was their ancestral home for a long loving time.

Will the Tactical mod poo poo let us change up weapons? Can I become a single saber wielding Assassin, at least in PvE? Can my Operative FINALLY just rock a sweet James Bond pistol instead of a rifle?

I get that silhouette and whatnot matter in PVP, but whatever, I'm talking PvE. Let us do whatever.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 15, 2019

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Medullah posted:

I asked Eric specifically about weapons in outfit designer. He said it's something they really want to do but the work effort is huge, and right now they're more focused on expansion work.

I don't ever see them allowing for weapon changes. That would be an extraordinary work effort to redo all animations for all moves.

I get that, but in a lot of cases for sabers the existing animation would still work, and in the others you could just steal the animations from one of the single saber using classes and no one would care.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Cease to Hope posted:

I found dark side consular to be pretty entertaining.

This is what I'm playing atm, on Hoth right now and soy far it's okay. Better than Trooper, that's for sure, but not that amazing yet. Theran/Holiday and Qyzen are great, though, definitely some of the better companions in the game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Cease to Hope posted:

I should add that I found Theran annoying as poo poo (and I played DS consular back when he was the healing companion so I was more or less stuck with him), so if you enjoy his writing, you may enjoy DS consular even more than I did.

Oh, his personality is annoying and terrible, I just find the fact that he's a nerdy shut in with a holographic waifu to be hilarious and on the nose. The fact that he's kinda up his own rear end and insufferable is sort of the nature of the beast with that kind of character. Thankfully I can just roll with Qyzen 24/7 and then check in at the ship to get a brief interlude into techboy and waifu trying to impress the science illuminati by breaking physics.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Medullah posted:

Nope the only time companions join you earlier is if you had them previously.

Of those companions, Pierce and Lokin are by far the worst. Pierce is 100% the worst to get since his requires you to win at PVP.

So glad my main guy is an SW.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I mean, any variety would be good for the two most visually boring classes in the game. Shoot missiles or fire your sniper rifle. Sometimes your rocket/blaster shot has a different color/impact effect! Wow!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hybrid skill trees were awesome.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Medullah posted:

They were *fun* but in all but 1 or 2 scenarios they were extremely sub par to an actual build. It was great to swap from DPS cylinder to Heal on my Merc in the middle of a fight (even had an autohotkey to respec in combat), but more often than not you'd see someone in "a superior hybrid build" that was piss poor. I remember the Assassin "DPS" that was in Dark Charge with the first two tiers of the tank tree, and then the rest in Deception because "This is far more damaging, the lightning is AOE". Terrible.

The Pyrotech hybrid build was awesome. :colbert:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

lol Carolina Parakeet the OG skank, Shield Tech defenses with Pyrotech energy-refunding Rail Shot monster crits every 6 seconds.

This. It was so hilariously broken in PVP, I remember Huttball matches when people would straight up run away from me when I had the ball because I'd just steamroll straight through them.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I said come in! posted:

It's hilarious to see a gigantic loot drop increase in SWTOR, while Bioware's other flagship online loot game, Anthem, is getting its loot numbers dropped to near zero.

Completely different Bioware studios. Thankfully EA hardly messes with this game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

As a big KoTOR fan and Star Wars EU fan in general is it worth playing this for the story?

Yes.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Yes.

Play a Knight for the most KOTOR 3 story, probably.

Counterpoint: Sith Warrior makes for the best consistently good story through the expansions. Knight's main story is loving bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Yeah but the more people riding logs, the more EVERYBODY wins...