Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

ritorix posted:

Currently working on a dark side Bounty Hunter, just got Skadge. He's awesome
:pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

*Kramers into thread*

Uh hey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQQTwQzbGJk

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Medullah posted:

Holy poo poo. Pick something from the guild bank, I don't care if it's way late, you earned it.
Wasn't really gunning for anything other than a few laughs, so thanks a bunch! Could I have the dance fever emote? Otherwise, I'd like the Plundered Spewie. You may send whichever to my main, Loveboat. :)

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Already did so in-game, but just for good measure: thanks nonentity! You're the best.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Medullah posted:

Edit - Timothy Zahn helped write it, you know it was gonna be long. :)
Given how little there was in the way of dialogue (compared to the length of the FP, at least), I'm guessing/hoping his involvement extends beyond just this single FP and into the current story arc?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Medullah posted:

Did you do the [SOLO] mode or the [STORY] mode? Yep, they're separate today.
I'm pretty sure I did the solo mode and there were like three cutscenes of a few minutes each?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

nonentity posted:

Get yourself an infiltrator.

I got pretty close to my concept sketch...

tite

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

nonentity please make a platform-type mount (like the Vectron Vertica) upon which the player dances continually while in use. Thank you.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Who wants a dance fight

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

All right since nobody seems to care about/get the joke I guess I may as well post a screenshot of the actual (long overdue) achievement in the spirit of friendly competition.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Well to be fair it really was just a reference to this, so not a very good joke per se I suppose.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Medullah posted:

Hahahaha you find some of the strangest stuff
Eh, someone linked it in another thread. I can recommend watching the entire series by the way, it's surprisingly clever.

Anyway, here's my little wish list:

1. 2017 Life Day Bundle
2. Kay Zykken's Log Mount
3. The hiding-in-a-bush thing, I already forget its precise name but you can't miss it.

Or some other randomly selected worthless piece of virtual junk, really, I'm not picky when it comes to free things. Address whatever it'll be to Loveboat, as usual.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

The answer is obviously to return to the game and wonder what to do there.

:drum:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

nonentity posted:

I uh... had something to do with that thing.
nonentity please be immediately referred to this post.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Kreia did nothing wrong.
I feel that Kreia becomes a little less likable as a character when you consider she's essentially Space Ayn Rand who's hella upset about Space Christianity (i.e. the Force) and its predestinating ways.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

The best part of being a Sith Warrior is being sassy at Baras.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

I've only played a LS Warrior so far so I wouldn't know about that.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Zam Wesell posted:

Just filled up my one free actionbar at level 10.
If you bought the game, I think you should have preferred status and would at least have access to a few action bars? You may have to enable them via preferences or the GUI editor though, it's been so long since I've had to toy around with the interface I'm not quite sure how many bars show up by default.

Ainsley McTree posted:

She becomes a completely different character if you’re DS at a certain point; I still keep meaning to roll another warrior and see what that’s all about but :effort:
I knew that much, it's just that I haven't tried it yet so I can't confirm/deny whether it's better than continuously giving Baras lip.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

IncelThreadGasser posted:

Would be great to go back in time to when the game first launched.
*starts shaking faster and faster until he induces a concussion and his extremities fly off*

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

jerk irl posted:

Other than the one time experience of the story driven leveling, and the one time experience of gearing up fast for PvP and going on a rampage, solo crushing, 3 at a time, undergeared, underleveled noobs in PvP, and laughing at people of the opposing faction thinking it's because of "mad skillz", which was possible at the launch, is there anything else which is fun about this game?
You can make male characters and companions wear a dress.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Medullah posted:

They just released terminals in the Cartel Market that let you "disguise" yourself, complete with ability bars.

You can become a Hutt.

And possibly enough to bring Oedzi back to the game, you can become a Twilek Dancer.

All I want to know is whether you can keep the disguise in combat and/or during cutscenes.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Why is this world so cruel

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Though unfortunately you still can't refuse companions. My bounty hunter campaign has been grinding to a halt between Belsavis being terrible in general and Skadge just being the worst.
I feel like this warrants a repost of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQQTwQzbGJk

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

I said come in! posted:

You son of a bitch! The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars film.
I wouldn't call it a bad film, but let's be honest here, it's very uneven across the board and schizophrenically torn between rehashing the OT and tearing it all down.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Medullah posted:

No one will ever convince me Super Leia was an acceptable thing to do in that movie.
Oh man, I had completely forgot about that. I think the astounding clumsiness of "It's salt!" was worse, though.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Medullah posted:

Let's not forget about the space jihad of flying a space ship into other ships, which if it was an actual viable way of attacking, why wouldn't they develop unmanned ship-missiles controlled by droids to attack all the huge ships?
That I don't mind too much, because it's basically established in the very first hyperspace scene ever that you don't want to collide with anything big while in hyperspace (or outside hyperspace I suppose, but that's beside the point). Also, physics and strategy were never Star Wars' strongest points.

That being said, the cannon fire (pelting the Resistance ships during the interminable chase sequence) arcing as if it were taking place at sea is indefensible as far as I'm concerned.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

There’s a lot of stuff in Star Wars that doesn’t make sense science wise because it is a children’s movie about evil space wizards

THAT SAID, the whole conceit of “when we run out of fuel the empire will catch us” is dumb because there’s no gravity in space and once you build up to your desired speed you can drift forever
What bothered me more than the physics of it was the fact that the concept seemed to be invented entirely to enable the aforementioned interminable chase sequence. The whole affair just struck me as unnecessarily artificial and forced. BUT WHATEVER I'll probably czech out the new patch and stuff because I haven't played any TOR in a while.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Warmachine posted:

You've not been to the weirder parts of the internet, have you?
[that post about Tali-from-Mass-Effect's sweat, except now about Khem Val]

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Speaking of, I've been contemplating doing a comprehensive SSLP of KotOR for ages now. I've a few ideas to make it interesting even to people who've played it to death - above all, I've thought of a way to involve the people reading the thread that I hope is novel and will lead to some unexpected and entertaining results. With the next big patch/expansion for TOR coming up in a little while, I'm getting that itch again to actually follow through on it.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Siegkrow posted:

We've had 2 video LPs, and we WERE gonna get an sslp but one of the 2 vid LPs was going on at the time and there was some complaining about dividing the viewership.
(Talking about Kotor, not swtor)
I know, I had a look at the video LPs some time ago, but given that the first is old as balls (like, 8 years) and doesn't quite do the things I want to do and the second's no longer even available, I feel there would be at least some point to an SSLP at this juncture.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Chickenwalker posted:

I'd love a game that was basically a Jedi Order jobber a la Qui-gon and Obi-wan doing odd jobs and getting into poo poo like Geralt.

One of the coolest things in KOTOR is when you take the test to decide what class you should be, they give you a scenario like: you hear a scream, what do you do? And I thought at the time, oh man if they just turn me loose to be a Jedi knight errant, have gun will travel, coming into town and solving whatever random bad poo poo is going down for folks like the A-team, that would loving rule.

Of course it didn't end up quite being that, but I can still dream.
Aren't you essentially describing KotOR (or TOR, for that matter) as it is, except with the main plotline removed? I mean, isn't that what doing side quests (and possibly the planet missions in TOR) is all about?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Chickenwalker posted:

I don't know, am I?

Are the sidequests in SWTOR anything even approaching the level of the stuff in The Witcher?

KOTOR achieved this somewhat, but I don't think TOR did on any level.
I've played the Witcher games, but in all honesty I'm struggling to remember more than a handful of side quests, so I can't really comment.

Cease to Hope posted:

this is true but also not relevant to the problem with the bounty hunter story, which consists largely of literally playing a game of killing/capturing random people in order to move onto the next chapter, until chapter 3 where you're wanted by the republic for all the murders you've done but for some reason the story treats it like you're being framed. it's weak nonsense even by the low standards of wow clone storytelling

bounty hunters get very cool class armor that mixes well with anything, have a cool ability kit, a pretty decent bunch of companions besides the male love interest, and mercs are ridiculously tanky for a ranged class that can heal. they just have a terrible class story.
Though I wouldn't go so far as to call it terrible, I agree that it was less than inspiring after the strong first chapter.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Chickenwalker posted:

There's that thing Miyamoto said one time, "A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever."

If you're going to make storytelling the focus of the game it seems like -and hear me out here- you shouldn't let the storytelling aspect get rushed or shortchanged?

Imagine the game we could have had if all the stories were as good as the Agent and Warrior's.
That's well and all, but try selling that to the corporate execs who've decided the game should be out just before Christmas.

Also, I frankly doubt whether better class storylines would've made that much of a difference. Unless my memory's really failing me, the reasons for TOR's userbase very rapidly dwindling a few months after launch were mainly that it:

- was, in practical terms, yet another a WoW clone
- lacked severely in the quality-of-life department (remember that quick-travel points were not all connected, that you were constantly struggling to collect enough planetary commendations to keep up with your levelling, that matchmaking was a highly manual affair, that you couldn't change the interface, etc. etc.)
- did not have much of an endgame

I suspect that most players would've burned out on the game regardless of the quality of the class storylines, because who really wanted to go through all that hassle more than once?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

i mean, yeah, swtor probably would have been a better game if they had limited the scope before spending all that time and money
I believe that at best, the game might've launched with a better quality-of-life standard - and even then, I expect the improvements would've been largely limited to, say, letting you customise the interface and offering you a properly functional group finder. It seems clear to me that traversing every world, for example, was made into an arduous task because the game simply didn't have enough content yet to keep most people occupied long enough otherwise. If you recall, unless you wanted to constantly do FPs or something, you were pretty much required to do all sidequests as well if you wanted to keep up with the game's levelling curve. The game's changed tremendously over the years, but that's only because so much content has been added and because hardly anyone would still be willing to sink as much time into it just to get to the end of the original single player content as they would at launch (and even then, large numbers of players most likely didn't bother).

Moreover, as mentioned before, TOR was and still is fundamentally a WoW-clone. Limiting the scope would not have changed that. In fact, it probably would've made things worse because it'd either mean players would zip through all the content even faster, or it would suffer as an MMO (as it arguably did with the last two expansions) and call into question why it exists in the first place. Without offering something that a single player game couldn't, TOR probably would've been abandoned entirely by now. And huge open worlds populated by clusters of various enemies are part and parcel of the genre anyway - even without the MMO part - so there's no escaping that, really.

In light of all this, to suggest that spending more time on writing could've somehow made all the difference seems entirely non-sensical to me. The best writing in the world won't save a game that may rightly be considered tedious, unnecessarily cumbersome, and over all too soon.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

SoUncool posted:

starting this up again. Just finished the JK class story, knocked out the BH story late last year.

Is there a "Star Wars: A New Hope" Throne Room style ending in any of these stories? I was hoping the JK would have it, and it was close, but no epic story, no bombastic John Williams theme. Kinda took the wind out of my sails "you killed the Emperor! very impressive! yadda yadda! Go home."
Finishing the Corellia planet storyline is probably the closest thing to ANH's finale.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

I meant reinstall Jedi Outcast, sorry there is no new game
There will never be another Dark Forces/Jedi Knight.

There will never be another X-Wing/TIE Fighter.

LucasArts is dead forever.

:smith:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Medullah posted:

There's been a poo poo ton of new content since launch. Not so much in the last few years, and the last 2 major expansions are single player focused, but if you didn't do the class story quests it's worth playing just for them (well, most of them)
Even if you run out of story content - which'll take a while -, there's lots to keep yourself busy with if you like. Perhaps even more importantly though, the game's just infinitely less frustrating and restrictive than it was at launch (well, at least if you subscribe). You may as well give it a whirl. Use my referral link if you like, that'll get you 7 days of subscriber status on your existing account: http://www.swtor.com/r/wc6Db8

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Do I really have to explain how and why you're entirely missing the point?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

it is simply a helpful link to a game that fans of TIE Fighter might enjoy, friend
Shame and a pox on the faithless and hypocrites who seek comfort in the virtual scraps cast at them by false prophets.

For your heresies and blasphemies you shall burn forevermore in the deepest pits of the inferno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

winterwerefox posted:

It's a lot of reading for myself. Poking at free game offerings. Modding the games I do own. Saving what bit of money I do get for gas to drive to interviews. Still trying to find work. Getting interviews that fall through.

I played a bunch on a Republic Commando. I think i got to level 16 or so. Got Sgt Catman following me around healing me. There are some curious things they have monetized in game. like being able to hide your helmet (fixed with a decorative slot headband), or have a third hotbar for your skills. The number of abilities I've got feels a bit crowded, and Ive got 30+ levels of more coming before i hit the f2p cap there. Missions feel easy, Silver and Red enemies melt, so being optimal is hardly an issue, and it feels like certain powers are not meant for soloing, but rather i should only be pulling this out if i am on a team and burning down a boss/elite and can do so in peace.
Although the solo part of TOR has never been especially challenging, it's become much easier still over the course of the years. You level much faster than before, but you can't really over-level because every planet/instance is capped to a certain level and if necessary it virtually levels you down. If you're technically over-levelled you don't really have to worry about your gear, and your companions no longer have their own gear at all (just stuff that fits into gear slots for cosmetic purposes). Nowadays, your companions can also fulfil any role - they used to be either DPS, tank, or healer - and are much more powerful than before, too. Knowing how and when to use all your abilities definitely isn't required anymore for solo content (if it ever was), although it can still help you get through fights quicker once you get to higher-level planets.