Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

We're back as we wrap up Jerry's diary and review his twitter.

https://twitter.com/MonumentalPod/status/1006359404097175552

Mike Sanders being a possible NWA title contender might actually be more dire than "Nick Aldis, NWA Champion". What the hell did everyone see in Mike Sanders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

exploded mummy posted:

He was by far the best promo of the Natural Born Thrillers which meant that he got a lot of screen and feuds as WCW shut down.

Best Promo of the Natural Born Thrillers is like being the best at getting your hand caught in a car door. I've seen enough 2000s WCW to know that even his promo ability was poo poo.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Mike Sanders 2000 is a strong contender for most overpushed wrestler in history.

In the same year of Jeff Jarrett's 2000, even.

Slapnuts vs SOL, which lovely catchphrase makes you want to stab out your own eardrums faster?

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 12, 2018

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

Warning this is not a wrestling podcast and may not appeal to literally anyone. But after Venter finishes his 10 minute story about making a mixtape on a summer vacation this becomes a really entertaining discussion of outsider/bad music and road trips.

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1008117138421362689

I really liked this episode, it's always fun to hear people talk about some creative work they did in the past even if it's just a big in-joke between their friends.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I really like these Bracketology Episodes, so it was nice to get one that does two tournaments.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Going back through some old B&V Retro Raw/Nitro shows and there's one where they're talking about Flair trying to cut a promo but not sure which camera to use, and now I'm waiting for them to hit the shambling last days of 2001 Nitro where everyone cutting a backstage promo is not looking at the camera at all, like they're talking to someone just off-screen.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Ah the Spanish pronounciation. Nice

Crowdfunded Wrestler Alberto Del Patreon.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 2, 2018

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dsriggs posted:

Ive seen a Nitro where Jeff Jarrett cut the opening promo of the show. He then wrestled George Steele, Tito Santana & Jimmy Snuka. In three separate matches. In 3 separate segments. We’ve got a looooong way to go...

Is that before or after the Nitro where Jeff Jarrett goes over the entire Buffalo Bills 1st String offense?

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 8, 2018

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gonzo McFee posted:

"My Name Is Finlay, and I love ta fight in the Black an Tans"

Good thing Regal wasn't around by the time Russo got to Nitro or there would've been a storyline where Finlay kidnaps Regal to force him to proxy bomb a location otherwise he'll kill Squire Dave Taylor or something.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Baron Corbin posted:

is Dick Murdoch talking about introducing JYD to the Klan and making him an honorary klansman in this promo

Considering Dick Murdoch was actually in the Klan? Probably yes.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Bryan's rant on the latest B&V Show about Cactus Jack was utterly bizarre. I get what he was trying to say but what an absolutely weird reason not to like what was a great promo in front of a hot crowd to build to what would be a fantastic match.

I get it too but I feel like Bryan is forgetting that, at the time, the crowd bought into the idea that Foley's weird multiple personality disorder made a difference in how he wrestled (to the point he was allowed, in kayfabe, to be 3 different royal rumble entries). Like this is something they spent years doing, and went a lot more in on it than they did with Finn vs. Demon. That said Bryan's meltdown is hilarious especially Craig's low-key "mommy and daddy are fighting again".

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Bryan is basically JJ Dillon in 1988 JCP telling everyone the Midnight Rider is Dusty Rhodes and baffled about why he's the only one that sees it, and it's great.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
For contrast, listen to the JCP/NWA recaps. Both Bryan and Vinny love the Road Warriors on those shows, because they weren't old and busted and/or part of a terrible substance abuse angle.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

It is tragic they are skipping PPVs and won't read Dave's glowing reviews of HHH, WON's 2000 Wrestler of the Year and 3rd place finisher as Most Outstanding Wrestler.

This is tangential and funny. I know you really needed TV to win a 2000 award but woof

I've come to the conclusion that everyone in 2000 was dumb as hell if they thought Mike Sanders was number 2, let alone anywhere in the top 10, for rookie of the year.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

exploded mummy posted:

its week 1 of Bryan relistening to Mark Madden

the pivot will come soon

Yeah I chuckled when Vinny announced Mark Madden was on commentary not long after Bryan's meltdown. For all his faults (some of which aren't his but the fault of a senile old man yelling in his ear) Cole does have the ability to do fine commentary (his call of Mankind's win in 1999, Daniel Bryan's win at WM30). Mark Madden brings nothing to the table, and what's worse is he's replacing Bobby Heenan who even when drunk and not giving a poo poo is still better. I would rather listen to 3 Michael Coles than one Mark Madden

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Smoking Crow posted:

Why are you around Mark Madden

Perhaps Mark Madden is the It Follows of wrestling commentators

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

That was my favorite ever because it somehow led to Erick Stevens agreeing to do the show.

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1092088454937219074

I had to break this up into two parts because it goes 3+ hours. Part 1 goes through Gabe nearly losing his poo poo on him during the Gang Wars of 07. You might not think Erick Stevens would be a really funny interview, but he is. Great Roderick Strong stories, Gabe stories, his hatred of the Florida indies, burials of everyone who deserves it, doing TNA dark matches, it goes on and on. I can't say enough great things about Erick or thank him enough for doing this.

I listened to this today on the way to and from work and it was great. As someone who didn't see a lot of indy wrestling in the 2000s this was very funny and informative.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure I'm getting this wrong but I thought one of the big things in shareholder meetings for WWE was "did the subscription numbers for the network go up?" Now I'm guessing getting $80 million/year from the Saudis is probably going to mean that doesn't matter, but I could've sworn it was something that the company spent a lot of focus on.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Do you know in which episode Bryan goes on the rant about people backing into parking spots? I would love to hear it, I hate those people.

The most recent episode where they talk about NXT and NWA/JCP from 1988

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jesus WEP posted:

When does Lance show up in WCW? It must be really soon. It’d be awesome to get him in periodically for that

Yeah I'm hoping this happens because it would be good to get his take on some things. He shows up to WCW in the middle of June.

Also I can't believe Bryan has survived 3 weeks of Mark Madden.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I've really liked listening to Valley's Portland Wrestlecasts among other things. It's completely unknown history to me and he does a good job of covering it

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Think of it like a webring. A series of affiliated podcasts that might be of interest to listeners of an in network podcast.

Not enough flaming skull gifs and gifs of construction workers to be a webring

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

Alvarez seemed way more negative on this show than the audience did. Most people I saw even online seemed to enjoy the show, particularly the Becky and Kofi stuff plus the Women's Chamber stuff.

Bryan: "Unlike Becky, Austin never attacked someone from behind"

Clearly, much like Vince, Bryan has also forgotten how Steve Austin was booked, as evidenced by Beeper 3:16 here:

To be fair this was an episode 3 years in the past of Retro Raw/Nitro watching, but still

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I wonder, if pressed, would Bryan say that Teddy Long (NWA/JCP 1986-1988) or Nick Patrick (WCW 97-2001) is the worse ref? Might be a tough call considering they both seem to exhibit the same pattern of utter cluelessness as to what is and isn't worth a DQ.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Craig made a good point that Vinny actually makes rewatching the old episodes fun by live-tweeting as he does it, posting gifs etc while Craig and Bryan just force their way through it solo.

Vinny's definitely got the right mindset especially as they're now in the last year or so. Gotta have fun with it or it's just going to drain you.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
There was also the 8-man hardcore match that ended when Burke gave a sick double-knee attack to Sabu through a corner table. New Breed vs. ECW originals was one of the few good things indeed.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Monty Brown was too good for this world and way too good for wwecw (whose birth was near simultaneous with wrestlehut's)

I mean he didn't die or anything, just had to go be The Bernie Mac Show in real life.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I Before E posted:

I'm pretty sure late 2000s WCW is just Impact

Had most of the same people too for a while :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

the escape goat posted:

Jericho comes off as a super bitter boots old man on the Wrestlemania Preview episode. Keeps calling the women "divas", is mad that they're getting the same matches as men ("does there HAVE to be two of everything?" yes, dammit), and makes a huge deal about being "banned from WWE"

It's unfortunate.

When you get concussed so hard you think it's 1999 and you're still feuding with Chyna, apparently.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

I got weirdly upset when Vinny said he deletes his notes after every review show. Why would you do that Vinny??

I'm willing to believe Vinny is not tech-savvy enough to realize a text file or word document takes up an incredibly tiny amount of space. It does suck that it means we can't get a book of "WWF Raw and WCW Nitro finishes reports, 1995-2001" out of it though.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gonzo McFee posted:

Kind of shocked that KSA want him considering he's Jewish.

Imagine being more palatable to the KSA as a Jewish person than being the "wrong kind of Muslim" (Sami Zayn).

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Considering he thought Vince actually blew up in his limo on live TV he probably also thought he bought RAW for real.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Low Desert Punk posted:

i just remember Tommy bragging on the Stone Cold podcast about how many concussions he's had and working through them.

I'm really worried what his mental state is going to be in a decade or two

Given the stuff he posted just last week he might not even make it another decade or two, he might die in the ring.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aesop Poprock posted:

Yeah seriously, what? Where did that come from? Heyman I can kind of understand but why Bischoff??

And why is it the reverse of 2004?

Also they still have to report to Vince so this basically means nothing as long as Vince is still able to rewrite everything 20 minutes before the show starts.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lid posted:

There better be a compilation of all the Don Valentine recaps. Don Valentine vs Kevin Sullivan braught me such glee.

I think Don Valentine vs. Steve Williams was better if only for the "i've made a terrible mistake" face that Steve makes (and Vinny uploaded as a gif)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Incessant Excess posted:

Backdrop onto sandpaper.

The finest grade imaginable

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Junpei Hyde posted:

a backdrop onto a cardboard cutout of Nailz

Surprised this hasn't been a spot in like CHIKARA.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CombineThresher posted:

Why anyone took WWE seriously after how they booked women up until maybe 5 years ago (not to mention how they treated Molly Holly) is beyond me.

Stephanie calling Molly Holly fat always comes to the forefront of my mind when she goes on her whole "I invented women's wrestling" thing. What a terrible storyline.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wazzu posted:

They've only had one match and it was against the really old Rock and Roll express. This second match they might pull it out, stretch the poo poo out of the promise.

"Just take those old wrestlers off the shelf..."

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
While I don't hate Craig I do agree he doesn't add anything and Lance is a much better 3rd (or 2nd) man for these recaps, and not just because he was right there for some of this insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CVagts posted:

Listening to the Bryan and Vinny show, I've never heard of someone needing a dental cleaning so in-depth that it required multiple visits to finish. I just went for the first time in literally a decade and it was just a standard cleaning.

I did just recently. If they do a deep cleaning they prefer to split it up just so only part of your mouth hurts when the novocaine wears off.

Or maybe it's a billing scheme :shrug:

Didnt matter to me, my insurance luckily covered all of it regardless.