Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Seconded on Virtual Pros.

Here's a description of that, and another wrestling podcast I enjoy, in the format of the OP.

Virtual Pros: A pro wrestling show for "real people", Al & Mike are fans who come from the VHS tape trading era. They love Japanese wrestling merch and indie wrestling road trips, they hate most Internet Wrestling Fans, but they design some pretty sweet t-shirts. Every week, they talk the wrestling world, their own likes and dislikes, and the latest additions to the VRTLPROS Mixtape, an ongoing playlist on YouTube of random matches, weird wrestling ephemera, and YouTube shooters.

The Rough House Podcast: Justin is the host of a major market morning radio show. Christoff is the ex production guy at the same station, who had to abandon his dreams of broadcasting. Together, they tear apart the world of wrestling every week, but usually end up complaining about their lives in incredibly filthy ways.

Enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Endless Mike posted:

I stopped listening to this one after they spent half an episode complaining that not enough people supported their Patreon.

Fair - they (Justin in particular) got real lovely about the Patreon for a while there. FWIW, it's barely mentioned these days.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

rovert posted:

At the 31:45 mark Colt on his latest podcast said he is reformatting the show and doing away with regular long form conversations with Wrestlers.

The podcast in March will be more monologues and on the road personal diaries.

January-March will be old podcast interviews.

Talk about a guy not getting why his show is successful.

Bummer.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

rovert posted:

He definitely expects to lose a lot of listeners.

Elsewhere it has been noted that Colt has moved away from interviewing young up and comers and more legends recently. Either he has lost touch with the new generation of indie talent or his ROH contract somehow precludes non-ROH indie talent.

Is he actually on a contract deal with ROH? I figured with all of his random indie spots (and Japan work), he was freelance still.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Jericho is going from Podcast One to Westwood One.

Today I learned that they aren’t the same company?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I didn’t listen myself, but here’s a transcript:

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2017/12/29/16831488/chris-jericho-leaving-podcast-one-westwood-one-talk-is-jericho

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I don't really understand what backwards rear end-hosting they use.

Should just move to libsyn like 99% of the podcasts worth a drat.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

SalTheBard posted:

Real1 and Tall Will

Oh, c’mon - Big Willie.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

RBX posted:

Summerslam is this weekend and people care more about Dave being Dave than it.

But hey, TakeOver should rule.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Jerusalem posted:

Dave talking over Wade and Bruce as well was fantastic. They don't even work for him and they both just gave way.

Also loved Wade taking the opportunity right at the end to start offering subscription deals, and you hear Dave just burst out laughing :allears:

Dave also does some great fan steamrolling during the live mailbag episode too.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Gumball Gumption posted:

So you think the access journalists doing puff pieces on the latest movies and tv shows get into fights the way their wrestling counterparts do?

Yeah, definitely seen it, between the DCEU fans (a lot like Russo guys) and the #NotMyStarWars crew.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

PaybackJack posted:

I get the feeling Dave has a long list of problematic faves.

Doesn’t everyone who is a pro wrestling fan?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Jim Valley has an incredible broadcasters voice.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

It's nice to see this level of enthusiasm from the guys, especially with everything else lately.

Now, here come a billion Twitter people talking about how co-opted they are...

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Dango Bango posted:

Booking has always been terrible, but the real turn was when Brock left and no one could get over more than THE BRAND. The attitude era would have been like current day WWE (minus being PG) if they had kneecapped Austin, The Rock, etc.

Yep. It was the one-two punch of Brock and Lashley.

After that, it was all the "build up then break down" booking to "see if they REALLY want it"...which then got turn into the 50/50 booking we love today.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I think Bix explained that he tried selling Uncle Dave and Bryan on this in the past, but Dave really should focus on writing articles – even longform – for the site, then make the physical newsletter a compendium of those articles. The ever shifting landscape has to be killing the guy.

(And I'm a guy who really loves the process of shooting the new Observer into Instapaper every Thursday and taking the time to read it on my iPad.)

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

This is absolutely perfect in every possible way.

(Also, per today, I’m in for Jim Valley as new Garrett, though I’ve nothing against Garrett, just would prefer more Dave and Jim eps.)

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

rovert posted:

He had a long-standing book deal on the table from a major publisher. But has since said he'd never write it as it would take him away from writing the Observer.

Personally got the impression certain key people will never talk (Pat Patterson types) and others have died (Ed Cohen types) in the interim. Also, the publishing industry is a lot different than 10 plus years ago. The Wrestling book market has definitely dried up compared to the late 90s-mid 00s boom.

I know it's a different era now, but straight up, as a subscriber, I'd be cool with Dave not doing the Observer for a month (because, let's be honest, as much as he writes on a weekly basis, he'd probably get the manuscript done then) so we could get a VKM book.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

There are few things more wholesome and endearing than Dave’s love and want for better things for Chad Gable.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

In a rare instance, I thought Dave was being hyperbolic and I found myself agreeing more with Bryan, re: AEW stars being "actually over" or just "live over".

Anyone who is watching Dynamite can tell from the presentation and the crowd reaction who the stars are. Darby and Marko got made last night.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

No Mrs. Dave?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I swear, if someone competent got into the tech side of F4W/WON, Bryan and Dave’s minds would be blown.

Memberful for memberships, WordPress as a CMS, Libsyn for Podcast hosting...

Hell, maybe Dave could post Observer articles as he writes them, Paywalling those articles, and compiling then as the Newsletter each week...

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

ICHIBAHN posted:

Will there be a black Friday sale?

When is black Friday?

What were Dave's ratings for Full Gear?

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving, so that’s the 29th this year.

Ratings are:

Baker-Priestly: 1.75
Ortiz & Santana-Young Bucks: 4.25
Hangman-Pac: 4.25
Spears-Janela: 3.25
SCU-Lucha Bros-Private Party: 4
Riho-Emi: 4
Jericho-Cody: 4.5
Moxley-Omega: 4.5

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I jumped in on the Black Friday deal. Is there an easy way to download the podcasts straight to an iPhone? I have only ever used the Podcasts app before and am hoping to avoid downloading to my computer and syncing because I am lazy.

I use Overcast - let’s me add password protected feeds without issue, and it has some good “smart speed” and “smart volume” options which help with listening overall.

Free app, only IAP is to turn off the really, frankly nice ads.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Hey hey hey, at least Dave saying that WWE sends a “bunch of dumbshits” to press ops on today’s pod was good stuff.

Right?

Right!?!

:cry:

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

BIG MEATY BOYS

BUMPIN MEAT

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I know, broken record, but every time Bryan goes "and we are TOTALLY out of time", and I remember it's due to a weird quirk of WON/F4W's weird rear end hosting, I get completely unnecessarily frustrated.

Move that poo poo to Libysn, password protect it, and let it go AS LONG AS THE SAN JOSE STEAMROLLER DEMANDS

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Eat My Fuc posted:

Lots of good stuff in the observer in regards to the current daily news, but I'm sorry the bit where Dave claims WWE approached him to write Vince McMahon's biography is completely bullshit, I have no idea why he would lie about that but there's just no way it's true.

I don't think that's what he said.

quote:

Simon & Schuster has commissioned a book tentatively titled “Ringmaster” which would be an outsider biography of Vince McMahon, scheduled for a 2022 release. Abraham Riseman, who just finished a project called “True Believer, The Rise and Fall of Stan Lee,” will be the author. The company had come to me with that idea a few months ago and pitched it hard. It wasn’t the time for me to add more work. At this stage I can’t imagine doing any kind of a book for at least eight years and money wasn’t even a consideration. I would possibly do a movie just because it’s a different life experience but I don’t expect that will transpire.

I think "the company" there means Simon & Schuster, not WWE.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Its absolutely zero excuse, but it's a bummer that Dave doesn't address certain topics with an idea of "I am out of my element and don't know how to comment", instead of his 3am stream-of-consciousness ramblings which we get.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I Before E posted:

He was the Crossroads demon at PWG for like seven years, getting talent to sell their futures to him.

I could swear that I've read somewhere that he pitches to talent that they should sign with WWE when they're ready to wrap up their careers or something like that.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

This Mox interview is super fun.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Big Dave sneaks in a mini-BTE recap into the Dynamite recap today.

And also goes "Did you see they got Sinbad?", clearly not understanding Cameo...

...even though he's been reporting on Cameo for a week...

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Also amazing: Bryan and Dave debate what constitutes a Food Fight at probably 2am local time.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Jerusalem posted:

"We're not having the birthday party until tomorrow?"
"Was that because you had to watch the G1?"

Oh Dave :allears:

This was amazing. Such a Dave moment.

Divorced Dave who got the dog and takes the kids to Outback every weekend is looking all the more real, isn’t it?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

"You know who invented that in 1985? ME."

- Dave Meltzer on "rebuild it in [our] image".

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Today, Garrett gets Dave to admit he owned and loved his Zubaz pants.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Peace out, Satin. Hope to never hear of you again.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

$25,000 for Jim Valley per Alvarez's update at the top of the show.

So cool, couldn't happen to/for a better guy.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

The Croc posted:

Wish there was video of football playing meltzer bodying dennis miller.

This story got me so hyped up as it came up. Hahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Pretty sure that Dave spent the entire NXT recap sorting paperwork.