Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

flashy_mcflash posted:

Marty and Sarah Love Wrestling on the MLW network is pretty fun and has a refreshingly different format than "wheezing shut-ins talk for 3+ hours". It's basically like Comedy Bang Bang but about wrestling, and it probably has the fewest Bad Opinions out of all the wrestlepods I listen to.

They're a little too WWE oriented for my tastes but Marty's an awesome dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

All the fan podcasts are trash because they don't have me on the show.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Sometimes I can't tell if Dave does that for laughs or if there's something seriously contorted in his brain.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tim Storm seems really likable. Too bad he doesn't have a gas tank to go a long physical match like fans want to see.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jerusalem posted:

I finally caught up on Cornette's appearance on Jericho's podcast and it was a blast, and it was nice to hear Starmaker Kenny there too since for some reason I thought the two had had a real life falling out.

I gave up on the Experience as a regular listen back when he did that episode ranting about Muslims, but there still isn't much better than hearing Cornette enthusiastically explain old school wrestling stuff. His explanation of how to properly work an ether spot was really entertaining.

JCE is Cornette screaming murderwords at Trump(sometimes entertaining) and occasional interviews.
Drive-Thru is mostly old wrasslin chat.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

dissing Tom Zenk should be a bannable offence.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

SalTheBard posted:

O I thought that was Mike Elgin

I thought it was Marty Scurll at first. Which woulda been made more sense since everyone in BC fears Suzuki.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's kinda of amazing how many lows The Undertaker gimmick was able to survive. Out of any top level guy the gimmick had way more of it's share than anybody else.

if you're some dipshit midwest kid, Undertaker was the scariest thing on saturday morning television. The charles manson-esque antics of Undertaker during the early part of the attitude era were pretty much keeping with the character. Also it helps the Taker lived the gimmick in a way that didn't get him arrested or shitfaced in rehab.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bikertaker dragging off Hogan with his own motorcycle was pretty awesome.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

just give Sting a goddamn moment Dave.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

has Bray ever done anything remotely threatening that didn't result in his rear end getting immediately kicked?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jerusalem posted:

Cheers :)

I always enjoy Bret dunking on HHH :allears:

Bret sounds really fuckin punchy tho.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

well, now my ghoulish curiosity is stoked.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I vaguely remember some fans threatening to sue TNA but they couldn't get a legal enough argument for a lawyer to sign onto.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The man called M posted:

Are there any "Guys talking about Wrestling Shows" Podcasts you guys recomend? I'm caught up on the New Generation Podcast, Attitude Era Podcast, and OSW I can just watch on youtube.

pisscast

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Looking forward to Colt slowly losing his mind talking to himself.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

how much does it cost to cohost B&V?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

remusclaw posted:

So you're saying... There's a chance?

considering everyone on mars is currently dead, not much of one.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

rovert posted:

Who knew Meltzer can be lazy, slobby and biased?

trevor spelled backwards, mike.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

chucked my F4W sub after the abysmal Elgin coverage. Completely irresponsible.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Is there somewhere that summarizes the whole Elgin situation? I see snippets of things here and on twitter but I’m not really sure what has happened.

Here's the deal as best as I can summarize:
-Lady gets sexually assaulted at an Elgin-promoted show by an Elgin-trained wrestler
-When confronted about it, Elgin decided she was lying and did nothing
-Elgin, for whatever, reason keeps a communication line open to the woman.
-Elgin says repeatedly lovely things to her like "are you gonna suck my dick or what"
-Also said bizzare things "Jeff Cobb smells bad" and "I'm the #2 gaijin in NJPW everyone loves me"
-Lady screencaps all this and after realizing Elgin wasn't going to do poo poo, goes public
-Elgin flips out, reiterates she's a liar, whore, etc etc.
-War Machine took their 30 second camera walkin promo spot during the NJPW entrances and exits to loudly proclaim "gently caress MICHAEL ELGIN"
-word in the air is that NJPW is none too pleased with this situation and are looking very closely at if they should cut Elgin or not
-Dave Meltzer takes Elgin's side in all this, tries to downplay it, engages in victim blaming on his radio show
-when questioned on the Board, Meltzer's proof was some tumblr-level blog post saying Elgin is absolved and Lady really is bad because she has sex and stuff.

Someone getting hurt, even if its not sexual abuse/rape is damning to a promoter. The last thing you do is ignore that it happened. Doing nothing says you do not give a single gently caress about the people coming to see your shows. Being lovely to fans, also damning.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

Dave was pretty darned negative on Elgin on the radio show and the closest thing to victim blaming was wondering why Elgin would say all of this to someone who clearly had no interest in keeping his secrets. All part of like a 5 minute rant about how Elgin is a moron. Part of this because Elgin decided to DM with notorious twitter shitposter VicVenomBytes about the situation who then leaked it and became more hated by the British than Nazis.

The main issues are he's printed several of Elgin's statements, got the accusation wrong posted that Elgin plans to sue and now the tumblr link. Linking to the tumblr being the worst, but it was posted in response to questioning why he hadn't interviewed the victim, who now accuses Dave of running the tumblr.

Edit: To be clear I do not like how Dave is handling this one bit, but some of the accusations about what he's said are unfair. Same with Bix getting pre-emptively dragged last night.

Maybe Dave shouldnt have led with "boy Elgin sure picked the wrong woman to confide in" cuz all I heard after that was my own internal screaming.

here's the lady in her own words if you really wanna know how messy this poo poo is:
http://www.pwponderings.com/2018/01/11/speaking-out/

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

He was talking about both confiding in the victim and VicVenomBytes and in your own write up you question why he'd keep talking to her.

because Elgin is a colossal idiot, I thought we all agreed this to be gospel truth.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

Which was the whole point of that Meltzer rant.

That I didn't listen to because I was screaming.

You are not an active listening, drude.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the end game of every superfan.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

mkay0 posted:

Do Dave and Bryan not have someone close to them to tell them to shut the gently caress up with these takes?

At first I was like "I would do this poo poo for free" but then I rememberer Dave and Bryan both are pretty fuckin stubborn about poo poo that I don't think they could draw up the funds to afford my time.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think the major reason is that WWE upper management doesn't want to deal with Hogan's bullshit.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

SatoshiMiwa posted:

listening to this I'm not even sure how this got of the ground let alone stay alive for so long

Through sheer inertia and outlandish stubbornness, mostly.

Dixie Carter is still repping TNA poo poo. To this day.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gaz-L posted:

Can I get an example of what you guys consider a good english-speaking PBP announcer that is currently working? Because the impression I get is that you'd prefer there be no commentary, or to listen to Funaki and the other dude yell in Japanese over Gargano/Almas.

Lenny motherfucking Leonard. That dude is the absolute gold standard for what commentary should be. He's a relatively sober voice in an area where most people do stupid poo poo or say jokes because that's what wrestlign is to them. While I love antics like MJF and Hathaway in the booth, its a real delicate line between being cute in the dead spots to actively making GBS threads all over a match. Lenny calls the poo poo straight, runs down their cagematch stats and basically just narrates the action.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jerusalem posted:

Was it Lenny who used to be on commentary when Nigel McGuinness would pop in to rant about Claudio or Clamdigger Danielson, and end up getting mad at him? Or was that Prazak?

I think it was Lenny or both of them.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

St Evan Echoes posted:

Maybe Vince is dementia-riddled enough at this point that they can just pretend he’s HBK

Vince is too busy getting laughed off the phone by 3rd string quarterbacks to care who the gently caress Adam Cole is.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

VJeff posted:

Little late to PBP chat but shout out to Kelly and Callis losing their minds when Jericho challenged Kenny. It could've been obnoxious as hell but instead it totally sold the moment.

Japanese commentary was better because it was incoherent yelling peppered with english swears

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

achillesforever6 posted:

https://soundcloud.com/wrestlesplania
New podcast where Kath Barbadoro tries to get Rachel Millman into wrestling

ah dangit you beat me to it.

Its an interesting listen because its normie people podcasting about wrestling. I'm only 10 minutes in but they're talking about the barriers to access into fandom, which is underrepresented in talking about wrestling.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Go RV! posted:

I don't know who those people are but this podcast is loving great

Millman is most famous for putting together a documentary about gerrymandering in Pennsylvania.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Aubrey Sitterson is one of those guys that jacks off to TMZ style coverage and doesn't give a single gently caress about wrestler's privacy. I could be wrong, because I smoke a lot of weed and all these garbage people tend to blend together after a while.

He's also managed to rattle the gently caress out of GI Joe fandom

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/09/14/timeline-aubrey-sitterson-gi-joe/

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

f

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

I really want to do another episode on stuff that was supposed to happen but got cancelled/changed/whatever.

Is anyone having trouble listening? Someone on twitter said they were unable but I haven't heard anything else. I can but not sure if anyone else can't.

yeah I have the porblem. I click the play button and it goes to ep14

its not good because I want ep15

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jerusalem posted:

Meltzer notes on the latest WOR that Nagata owns and is cool and the best.

Meltzer is correct :hai:

Nagata threw fuckin leather onto Kitamura. It was wonderful.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Low Desert Punk posted:

the new episode of the Jim cornette experience is great if you wanna hear 30 minutes of Jim screaming about how barbaric Koreans are

some guy that grew up in cousinfuck kentucky yelling about other cultures is some glass house and stone poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Meltzer's in the wrong on this one. He should not have published her name, out of human decency. Dropping enough details for a background pull is crazy dangerous and especially with weirdo wrestling fans. Remember that forums poster that called HHH? The weird airport stalker dudes?

I can't tell if that's an intentional attempt by Dave to sick dogs on someone or he genuinely didn't think that poo poo through.

Oh and that guy that wrote the Dave Hit Piece? He's a dweeb, gently caress him.