Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Playoff consisting of Alabama, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Penn State

who do you root for

NCAA death penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

who do you root for

you ignore the idiotic football playoff and root for the Mighty Northwestern Wildcat to win football's greatest prize, the Foster Farms Bowl

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

I want you all to know I have a tradition of buying any teams hat that beats bama and wearing it for a week straight. Words cannot express the hatred I have for them.

That said if it comes down to Penn State or bama I don’t know what I’ll do. Cheering for PSU to win the natty is morally repugnant, I honestly can’t decide if I can swallow it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

maxallen posted:

I want you all to know I have a tradition of buying any teams hat that beats bama and wearing it for a week straight. Words cannot express the hatred I have for them.

That said if it comes down to Penn State or bama I don’t know what I’ll do. Cheering for PSU to win the natty is morally repugnant, I honestly can’t decide if I can swallow it.

OSU has to lose two of their last four for PSU to even win their division much less play for the natty. PSU's playoff hopes are more or less dead.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

vikingstrike posted:

Since 2010, away games versus top 25 times at the time of play:

2010 (0-2)
#24 South Carolina L 17-6
#2 Auburn L 49-31

2011 (1-0)
#23 Georgia Tech W 31-17

2012 (0-1)
#6 South Carolina L 35-7

2013 (0-2)
#8 Clemson L 38-35
#7 Auburn L 43-38

2014 (1-1)
#24 South Carolina L 38-35
#23 Missouri W 34-0

2015 (0-0)
None

Total record of 2-6. 14-23 against all ranked teams over last 8 years of tenure at UGA. What am I missing? I'm assuming watching almost every game of his career at UGA is working against me here, based on your comment.

A couple years back I did this for all big time coaches and Richt had the worst record of losing to teams ranked lower than him. Second was Bob Stoops lol.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

maxallen posted:

What about Georgia :getin:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
West mich blew the lead, game's tied again!!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Crotch Bat posted:

OSU has to lose two of their last four for PSU to even win their division much less play for the natty. PSU's playoff hopes are more or less dead.

OSU is only one spot ahead of PSU. So if OSU loses to Sparty, PSU should jump then and that's where the fun begins

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Saturday night is officially a blackout. Ordered my black polo, so all set.

something something funeral something something

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

OSU is only one spot ahead of PSU. So if OSU loses to Sparty, PSU should jump then and that's where the fun begins

CFP rankings are totally redone each week. PSU will likely remain high all year due to their only loss being by 2 points to a potential PO team but that doesn't change anything that I said and if you think the committee is putting a team into the CFP that didn't win their own division much less their conference you are high.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Crotch Bat posted:

CFP rankings are totally redone each week. PSU will likely remain high all year due to their only loss being by 2 points to a potential PO team but that doesn't change anything that I said and if you think the committee is putting a team into the CFP that didn't win their own division much less their conference you are high.

Uhhhh ... :thejoke:?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

But I'm telling you the rankings you see now are irrelevant. They only exist to give ESPN something to talk about, that's not a joke. PSU can jump them all they want, if OSU drops another game they won't make the CFP regardless but they will still win their B10 division unless they drop two. Then the only chance the B10 will have is an undefeated Wisconsin.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Except the committee put a team in the playoff that didn't win their division or conference like, 10 months ago

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Same teams involved, even.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

who do you root for

My rooting interests in order:
1. Ohio State
2. Bama
3. Notre Dame
4. Early onset dementia that renders me incapable of understanding football
5. Penn State

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Except the committee put a team in the playoff that didn't win their division or conference like, 10 months ago

Omnikin posted:

Same teams involved, even.

Totally whiffed on that. I even thought for a second about what you could be meaning, too.

I think this year is strong enough to prevent that fuckery from happening, though. ND seemingly on their way and the potential of a 1 loss B12 champ hanging in the rafters should prevent last year from repeating.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

vikingstrike posted:

2010 (0-2)
#2 Auburn L 49-31

2011 (1-0)
#23 Georgia Tech W 31-17

2012 (0-1)
#6 South Carolina L 35-7

2013 (0-2)
#8 Clemson L 38-35
#7 Auburn L 43-38

2014 (1-1)
#23 Missouri W 34-0

2015 (0-0)
None

Total record of 2-6. 14-23 against all ranked teams over last 8 years of tenure at UGA. What am I missing? I'm assuming watching almost every game of his career at UGA is working against me here, based on your comment.

Just for yucks...

2001 (2-0)
#6 Tennessee 26-24
#21 Georgia Tech 31-17

2002 (2-0)
#22 Alabama 27-25
#24 Auburn 24-21

2003 (1-1)
#11 LSU 10-17 (this was Richt's first true road loss entirely at UGA)
#13 Tennessee 41-14

2004 (0-1)
#3 Auburn 6-24

2005 (2-0)
#8 Tennessee 27-14
#20 Georgia Tech 14-7

2006 (1-0)
#5 Auburn 37-15

2007 (1-0)
#16 Alabama 26-23 (OT)

2008 (1-0)
#11 LSU 52-38

2009 (1-1)
#9 Oklahoma State 10-24
#7 Georgia Tech 34-27

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Here's one data source. It's obviously not ideal but a couple regular expressions chew through it.

This looks very good as well but I haven't used it yet.

I'm working my stuff up into something useful and portable, eventually, so when I do have a reasonable source of data that's clean and ready to use I can alert anyone interested--probably in the off season.

Yeah, this is a lot easier, thank you.

I'd definitely be interested in something clean and portable in the future if you do it!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Adun posted:

Just looking through Wikipedia Mark Richt appears to have been 4 - 7 in games where Georgia and their opponent are both ranked in the Top 10 which doesn't seem that great.

That's definitely not never winning big games and by definition those are going to be the hardest games to win. Teams are usually ranked in the top 10 because they're, ya know, hard to beat.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vikingstrike posted:

2010 (0-2)
#2 Auburn L 49-31

2011 (1-0)
#23 Georgia Tech W 31-17

2012 (0-1)
#6 South Carolina L 35-7

2013 (0-2)
#8 Clemson L 38-35
#7 Auburn L 43-38

2014 (1-1)
#23 Missouri W 34-0

2015 (0-0)
None

That's a lot of qualifiers! Is there some reason games at home aren't big games?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

MourningView posted:

That's a lot of qualifiers! Is there some reason games at home aren't big games?

Miami is playing VT on the road is why I did that. The home breakdown over this time isn’t much different. Hence the 14-23 inclusion.

Dude had many good years in Athens but as DN’s post shows, his career had really two phases in Athens, with the front end being much better overall.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

vikingstrike posted:

Miami is playing VT on the road is why I did that.
No, they aren't.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

KKKLIP ART posted:

What about Georgia :getin:

Y’all aren’t named bama, don’t hate you. Never had any bad experiences with Georgia fans. You better loving win.

Hate standings:
1-100: bama
101: Florida
102-???: not Florida or bama
???+1: auburn because they hate the tide as much as I do
???+2: go vols

E: i forgot also parallel world basketball standings:
1-infinity: gently caress Kentucky loving cheating rear end fucks. gently caress Adolph “hitler” rupp and gently caress calipari I can’t wait for the fbi to arrest him

PPS AND ANOTHER THING PAWL nick satan bought himself a goddamn hitler car dealership down the street from me in Nashville what the gently caress A) who let that fucker buy property and get a building permit anywhere in the state and B) GO BACK WHERE YOU CAME FROM nobody wants you here (except the bama fans(they should follow your lead and go back as well))

maxallen fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 2, 2017

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

MourningView posted:

The games that ultimately lost Richt his job were neither home nor away games, but annual (aside from a three year streak from '11 to '13 and two more in '04 and '07) losses to Florida.

The '15 blowout at Home against Bama didn't really help either.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

vikingstrike posted:

Miami is playing VT on the road is why I did that. The home breakdown over this time isn’t much different. Hence the 14-23 inclusion.

Dude had many good years in Athens but as DN’s post shows, his career had really two phases in Athens, with the front end being much better overall.

It's a home game.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Ohio State last year had a much better resume than Penn State will have this year.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

SpiritualDeath posted:

No, they aren't.

Dilber posted:

It's a home game.

My bad, I thought it was in VA. But as I mentioned above: it doesn’t change much. Maybe the change of scenery will be good for the guy, but more often then not over the back half of his time in Athens I would have expected us to not win a game like this.

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 2, 2017

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

He doesn't seem to be as beaten down as he was in the back half of UGA. Also, now he's evil Richt soooooo

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
If you expect to beat top 10 teams more than half the time that's pretty lofty

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Dilber posted:

He doesn't seem to be as beaten down as he was in the back half of UGA. Also, now he's evil Richt soooooo

I just glanced at the schedules again, and he actually did better at home than I gave him credit for. I also forgot he had Auburn's number most years, which made for some great home games. Because, really, gently caress Auburn.

Here's the home breakdown:

2010 (This was his worst year at UGA, ended up with a loss against UCF in a bowl game)
#12 Arkansas L

#12 South Carolina L
#20 Auburn W

None

#6 South Carolina W
#6 LSU W
#25 Missouri L

#16 Clemson W
#9 Auburn W
#16 Georgia Tech L

#13 Alabama L

Overall record 5-4. So over .500. I'm sure pre-2010 is better than this for him, so yeah, I didn't give him enough credit against ranked teams at home, and I guess he won the majority of those games in Athens over his tenure. I didn't include Florida games in any of this, but I think he was 5-10 in those games, and Florida was ranked in most all of those games. Also bowls/SECCG not included. Some of these years had rough endings (e.g., 2011, won the East, destroyed by LSU in Atlanta, and lost to Nebraska in the bowl game. 2013 was similarly rough. Wonder if a few drives over the 2011-2013 span in a few games go differently if he's still in Athens. Well, that and not hiring Brian S.)

JesustheDarkLord posted:

If you expect to beat top 10 teams more than half the time that's pretty lofty

That earlier pull was for top 25, not top 10.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

vikingstrike posted:

Wonder if a few drives over the 2011-2013 span in a few games go differently if he's still in Athens. Well, that and not hiring Brian S.)

Richt literally gets to be Coach For Life and is buried in a Pyramid constructed on Myers quad like an ancient Pharaoh if he wins the SECCG in 2012 and goes on to beat Notre Dame.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

HannibalBarca posted:

Richt literally gets to be Coach For Life and is buried in a Pyramid constructed on Myers quad like an ancient Pharaoh if he wins the SECCG in 2012 and goes on to beat Notre Dame.

Oh, for sure. All things considered, outside of never winning a title, through as many years as he coached at UGA, he was just as good as Vince Dooley.

I also don't really blame him for the Brian S hire, because it seems that was more of a top-down choice made for him. Greg McGarity is kinda a poo poo.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vikingstrike posted:

Oh, for sure. All things considered, outside of never winning a title, through as many years as he coached at UGA, he was just as good as Vince Dooley.

I also don't really blame him for the Brian S hire, because it seems that was more of a top-down choice made for him. Greg McGarity is kinda a poo poo.

That Dooley title was pretty lucky anyway, both in that a freshman came out of nowhere to have one of the best seasons of all time and the SEC was pretty awful that year. I think Notre Dame in the bowl game was the only game they played against a team that finished in the final AP poll. He didn't have to play against anything like Saban-era Alabama or Meyer-era Florida like Richt did

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 2, 2017

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

MourningView posted:

That Dooley title was pretty lucky anyway, both in that a freshman came out of nowhere to have one of the best seasons of all time and the SEC was pretty awful that year. I think Notre Dame in the bowl game was the only game they played against a team that finished in the final AP poll.

1980 UGA was, like, the 2002 Ohio State of that era.

Everyone remembers Herschel running on UT, but no one remembers it was a 1-score win over an unranked team that went 5-6.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Miami fans complaining about the blackout.

god, we have the worst fanbase. Most of them have chinstraps, so how do they not own anything black?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

korrandark posted:

Ohio State last year had a much better resume than Penn State will have this year.
Yep. PSU got beaten by Pitt and plastered by Michigan before they did anything of note that season. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it unless OSU drops a seriously easy game between now and the conference championship.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Dilber posted:

Miami fans complaining about the blackout.

god, we have the worst fanbase. Most of them have chinstraps, so how do they not own anything black?

Are they using the "we shouldn't need gimmicks to get pumped for games" line?

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

vikingstrike posted:

Are they using the "we shouldn't need gimmicks to get pumped for games" line?

That, along with "it's a cash grab by apparel companies"

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/thomasgoldkamp/status/926117827999883264

we're saved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
I, for one, am excited to get shredded by a dual threat quarterback. Hopefully Lock can get some bombs in there on offense.

• Locked thread