Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

need 4 more wins, have lost six straight despite playing frankly beastly with disruptor.

Jakiro is crazy strong right now, have been racking quite a few with him. If you can make it to the aghs after one survival item, the aghs is just crazy huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Vipers Aghs is excellent actually, although hard to justify before item 4 or so. The best aspect of it is it's a mobility skill, you can jump up or down cliffs, along with a very long AOE disarm, and doubling his skin damage. But the mobility is the real key, hurricane pike is a natural buy but changing viper from a total plodding grunt to two mobility skills can swing many team fights.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Probably gonna give me more low priority games as a present

Do they still let teammates que into low priority games? Happy to try and carry one sometime, I can't recall if they let non- LPQ join someone in party these days.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

IDK, but if you want I'm probably going to queue up in one half hour for a game during my lunch break?

I'm down to just needing two more to win. I got lucky and was given CM for a couple games, and she absolutely slaps at low ranks.

Ya can add me this weekend 'spiiiking'

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Zeruel posted:

i need to get deprogrammed and re-learn how to play the game i find myself flailing around doing nothing mid/late game if we're not actually fighting the enemy team. is BSJ any good for videos on this?

Been climbing nicely in ranked with this philosophy.

Support -
1. Can I put vision where we need it without dying. Don't forget smoke of deceit to ward if you have 2/3 in the bank no one is using. Vision naturally guides even a bad team towards smart play. If you ward defensively you'll stagnate the game instead for cores to farm, which can be good if you are sure your team scales better.

2. Where can I push a lane without dying/ stack a camp/ watch for a tower defense tp. In that order of priority. Try not to waste tps as a support just going back to a lane.

3. If bored of these follow the offline and ping smoke of deceit.

Priorities change up for other roles, I'm not good enough at them to write any useful midgame points.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Sab669 posted:

I'm NOT muted but for some reason no one can hear me talk in game. Anyone have a guess what might be up? The Current Mic Device in that last screenshot is correct, headset works perfectly fine on Teams every single day for work and Discord :shrug:

Might be "push to talk" in steam interfering with "push to talk" in dota. Try setting steam to open mic.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

I had a match the other day that I just can't get out of head around. Our line up:
Dire:
Lich
WD
LC
Bane
NP -> me, offlane

Radiant:
CM
Pudge
Sand King
WK
Slark

So we had a weird draft, and Lich went mid. We absolutely smashed mid and offlane. Safelane was not bad.

WK and Pudge fed so much I was top level, and top networth the entire game, but we just couldn't win. I pushed like mad and kept split pushing (I got 25 around 35min). The rest of my team just fed and fed over and over until Slark caught up. I just couldn't deal with him. I'm not sure how to itemize against him as NP. I figured that Slark would be managed by LC and Bane and I could hunt backline but they didn't itemize for anything useful.

That game is just not winnable for your team past min 40. Not enough scaling power period. Your team had to win by min 25 or at least 2 rax or GG. You might want to explore a few harder scaling heroes while you're in unranked to prevent these drafts.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Most chars can't itemize against a fed slark, he has 5 escape/engage buttons at full build and you can't buy 5 orchids and rod of atos, and he can clear those items anyway with his Q.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

I've been going wraith band, maelstrom, orchid and then just stats instead of Treants and you just tp around setting wards and racking up kills. NP is an early/mid game menace, I love it in unranked joke games.

Though its fun to go stats, even as a support NP I recommend leveling your E before stats, even if all you do is send them down lanes on cooldown, it will add up to a large pushing advantage for your team. The talents for reduced E cooldown and additional E treants also have higher winrates last time I looked. Even one point is helpful for not taking damage and staying full health while doing jungle camps, which allows you to keep full health for teleport ganks. Consider Witch Blade as an early pickup if you are winning, to snowball harder.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

I've tried 6 ranked games (I'm uncalibrated),

2 -> others abandoned
1 -> Safe Lane WK disconnected at 2min, came back right at 7 minutes, like he had a timer then proceeded to feed over and over.
2 -> Someone queued up as support, picked safe line hero and just griefed
1 -> we won because the other team had two people run down mid and destroy items

How in the world so I deal with this nonsense.

Calibration is stupid. Try and play your 1-2 best heros and just focus on your game. The game reportedly does take some individual metrics into account for your placement not just win/loss so don't give up a game even when people are griefing on either team, keep getting the GPM and kills where you can.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

For what it's worth also once upon a time I despaired at 4v5 but I've probably won countless 4v5 over 100s of games, assuming you have some ability to carry on your hero you'd be surprised how many are winnable. If someone on your team actually abandons, you're getting massively inflated passive gold, and then all it takes is a few snowballing kills.
Does not apply if you pick omniknight or other hero with 0 playmaking ability.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

I'm moving my self to unranked for a few weeks, I dipped my toes in Herald Ranked and it's just not a place I want to be. Give me unranked where it's just a PvE game and we're are all best friends.

TBH if you don't at least somewhat enjoy the meltdowns ranked is not for you. I stick in ranked because it's so absolutely funny every time a 30 year old IT guy starts dropping slurs because someone had an Indian accent or something on mic. And it's sooooo good when an enemy team who was trash talking gets owned by your team and you can get a little friendly taunting in back. I don't mind them because as the old saying goes 5 people on the enemy team can melt down but only 4 can on mine so the odds are always in my favor, all other factors aside.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

The biggest problem was that he was clearly starting with a null talisman, and he went safelane with a WD so clearly he understood that he was the carry, then he chatted "hey DK, lets swap lanes, this is a hard safelane" which was fine, but then he TPed top and just started ferrying out clarities. Like when he TPed he forgot he wasn't the support. It was really weird.

All that said, I went silver edge to deal with Sniper and BB, and me and the Viper made that Sniper's game hell for 30 min, I just assumed Silencer was farming with all the time we gave him. Eventually he rotated to join us and he was like level 10 at 20 min it. Viper and I were flummoxed, like what did he do all lane?

At your MMR I suggest ignoring your team. Hell mute em all unless you want to poo poo talk. You can 100 percent win tons of games by farming above your level. Check your recent games- you want to be hitting 500 GPM or more ideally. There is no way even a 'good' carry at your level is farming efficiently, there will be plenty of farm on the map for them. Stack ancients yourself and then take them, focus on your lane last hits, and wins will come as you have two more items than anyone on the enemy team. Even if they aren't the right two items for the game, it's still a massive advantage. You probably want to build a farming item rather than a meta item for your first one at your MMR. For that game for example you said you did mage slayer, very good for dk, very strong, but you could have accelerated yourself with lightning hammer first into mage slayer.

Pings are more than enough to communicate and if they aren't listening to your pings they won't be listening to your chat.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Mr.Acula posted:

:bravo: no speaking allowed

I hate to tell you bro but I've only ever seen people muted when they were objectively super loving annoying in chat lol. Though sometimes it was the gentle type of annoying like they kept telling other people what items to buy etc. I'm a huge dick back to anyone who's a dick in Dota and never had it nor dipped below 12k comms / behavior

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

On the flip side, don't neglect how much gold and XP the wards can give the enemy early, when they're at lvl1-2 and easy to kill. I don't find many players who pay attention enough to farm them at my MMR. (about 2-2.1k)
I used to love when veno's Gale spawned two wards on hit though. That poo poo was so fun, but very OP. Probably deservedly removed.

Have been cranking along with my 1-2 game habit every other night or so, when my usual duo's partner is online. Mostly enjoying Lion finally being pretty powerful, my training has finally paid off, when he's not banned. I feel like the current patch is difficult on offlane, or something about my skill is lacking. It really feels like you need to dominate the carry in lane, or they all come out monstrously fast and take all your outer towers (Seeing a lot of troll, aggressive void, life stealer). Playing some viper to counter has worked decently well, but the mage slayer nerfs hurt him. Appreciate any offlane thoughts from better carries.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Super nintendo user, you would probably appreciate the ability draft mode if you have never tried it. People tend to have a nicer attitude I've noticed and it can be a good way to learn better just some key skills in a way that will help you avoid/counter them.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

I just hate his shard. It's way too situational and just not that fun to use anyway. He should get a Big ward from with more hp and damage it or have it buff his passive in some way. Maybe a big ward that buffs little wards around it.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Oh if they want to keep it it should be like, double range. I don't want to be anywhere near the carry as support veno....

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

If you're 3k now you could have been 5k with current knowledge in past, skill level has really inflated in Dota especially since pandemic. Players at my about 2k do poo poo I never would have seen them do even 5 years ago, pulling and stacking used to be unknown arcane wizardry

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Have been having a nice 6 win streak with my duo partner playing 4 Magnus with 3 necrophos. Really feels like a cheat code, having empower on top of all his initiate/ counter initiate skills. I'm sure we will find someone who can punish the laning phase eventually as we MMR up.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Some games be like that Super Nintendo User... Had a game last night where we had axe, earthshaker and myself as Magnus hitting triple call/ ult combos. This is in archon now and we could have easily won but our drow did not come to a single fight. I legit think one cast of her w in any of the fights would have turned the game.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

ItohRespectArmy posted:

tinker got to be an insane pubstomper for like 12 years, he can be dogshit for a bit.

If old techies needed to be remade into a lovely league of legends hero then tinker should join him in hell.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

I've been going two wraith bands on my suck lion lately for the armor.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Sab669 posted:

Bracer, Boots, Bracer, Radiance is the only way I know how to play Necro

My buddy plays a lot of necro and he rages out on mic when he sees any allied necro go radiance in an even/losing game lol

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

I think it's pretty matchup dependent now. I think the best necro farm item is shard TBH for the instant wave kill of shard - q.

Still radiance is a good team item against certain matchups

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

What's a good build to use for a tanky Offlane Viper? I see a ton of Bristles, so I'd like to learn how to counter him. When I'm P4 I always take Hoodwink and save my ult for BB, but I think there's something to Viper instead.

For tank, I see a lot of people go power treads -> blade mail, maybe Eternal Shroud fits somewhere here? Whenever I play Viper I feel like I have no mana and die too quick, so I'm not sure how to make him work.

In my mind viper has to be built very specifically from game to game. As others have mentioned positioning is key and though you won't see vipers build it because they play greedy a force staff after boots and some kind of farming/ defence item is almost always warranted. Not only can it help your team but it can secure kills for the incredibly not mobile viper.

Blade mail- if you are against other ranged carries or squishy heroes is almost always value.

Dragon lance - greedy but good. People like it as a first item but there are usually better choices.

Mjollnir lvl one whatever it's called- if you are up get this for farming WITHOUT using mana viper has mana issues all game long. It's great to be able to take camps with no W.

Boots- if up I recommend going an Early tp boots rather than treads. Otherwise treads.

Atos- great buy in a losing lane or against mobile hero, keep them in your poison pit. Builds into glepnir for farming and fighting.

Mage slayer - still good after nerfs for casting enemies.

Pipe or greedy MR item - often needs to be considered. It is your job to get pipe if team needs it despite native MR.

Aghs- is also a movement item let's you go up cliffs or down. Should not get bought before 3-4th item.

You absolutely have to keep the carry down, viper doesn't play well from behind. After that look at whoever is doing well on enemy team and build against their highest kill count hero so you can survive and hopefully trade with them.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Doing extremely well with lion suck build, recommended to all MMR lovers. You do first have to identify the draft before embarking on the journey, if you are the initiator you have to dump the suck plan and get a blink as usual.
If you HAVE an initiator, and hopefully some tank, and or teammates like drow, Zeus, viper, etc, who starve for mana, this build is quite godlike. Even better if the enemy has mana drain vulnerable hero such as tide, bristleback, death prophet etc.

Your positioning with this has to be such that you are NOT ever initiated on, you are always waiting to counter initiate.

Start tangos sent Regen ring windlace. First buy tranqs for lane. Second buy wraith band. Possible third buy of wraith band or delay as needed. 1-1-4 skill build. Ideally shard at 15. Ghost Sceptre next if appropriate for the game as you can ethereal - stun - suck for virtual invulnerability. I take the ult gives HP and mana drain slows talents for this build. The wraith bands are the best armor for gold items and multiply at min 25 when as a pos 5 you surely are not 6 slotted anyway. Sometimes I get 3. Sucking mana into your friends after fights gives an extremely underrated amount of push potential assuming you're doing this build with the proper team.

The real power of the build is the bait potential - every Dota player is hard wired from birth to squish a lion as fast as possible. Even with just two WB and the 80 percent magic resistance, you will live through insane commitments that lion only could have dreamed about before. With ghost Sceptre timed right you are essentially invincible during suck. If you position properly you'll have enemy initiators diving past their first target to hit you, then standing there useless as your team beats them into the ground.

One unfortunate caveat is you will not and should not be trying to get finger stacks the same way as a typical lion- I almost always let it loose as part of counter initiation before suck so stacks may need to be left by the wayside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Sab669 posted:

It's currently a neat idea but undertuned and the needs iterating upon before it'll ever "mean" anything. Kind of like how Neutral items have been added, removed, rebalanced, and then replaced with the Tokens.

I feel like it could be used a lot better than I often see it used, I've put it down many a time and asked my team "guard banner and slow siege with (sniper)" and team dives and feeds of course. I think it's underrated currently.