Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Heyo, decided I hate my self and I want to start playing dota2. I started watching BSJ's fundamental videos. Any other advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I don't have the most high powered laptop, I'm playing on a Surface Go 3 that my kid broke, and I have it hooked up to my ultrawide, but I'd like to play it with blackbars os it's not so high rez and stretched, but I can't get windows to play along.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Played two unranked games last night:

1) Picked Witch Doctor, but we had triple mid and we got dumpstered
2) Picked Dazzle, but no one went mid, so i went mid, and held the tower until like 20 minutes and did a decent job laning against a dual midlane of Abadon and Windranger. After twenty minutes I was ~lvl 13, but I misclicked on the shop and bought a Kaya, and then my "Carry" bristleback was lvl 9 and ran down mid and kept dying until the game ended.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just won my first unranked game. I chose Witch Doctor and played P4, followed around a Kunka all game that was clearly far and above skilllevel of the rest of the 9. At one point he gave me his bottle, pinged me like mad, and cast X Mark on me, I panicked and mis-clicked my TP to mid tier 1 tower instead of fountain. Waterpark made my Surface Go 2 about catch on fire though. I think I need a better PC.

10/10 stars would mis-click again.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sab669 posted:

Double Tapping your TP Scroll button automagically teleports you to the Fountain FYI!

But if this is your third game of DOTA and you knew that the guy wanted you to refill his Bottle you're already far ahead of most players already

I put TP on Quick Cast, so I don't think you can double click it, I think that's what I did not realizing my faux pas.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

TOOT BOOT posted:

Try to focus on improving at one element of the game at a time.

This is good advice, there's just too much in the game, spend a few hours on one thing and them move on. I did like 10 custom lobbies until I could reliably CS and now I'm spending some time working on how item keys work.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Played and won another unranked game last night with Mid Zeus. I used a build I saw Qojqva use, with Kaya -> Philacerty (?) -> Shard -> Moon shard, and by 35 minutes I was blasting down everyone. It was a lot of fun.

One problem, the ingame guides don't load. I see a lot of people complaining about it, but no specific fix.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Did you select a player-made guide, or do you have a dota plus subscription? You can create your own item build guide too.

It gives you a couple free months of Dota Plus when you start playing. But it's none of the guides. The default guide shows up in the shop, but when I click to look at the rest of them, the left menu loads the list of guides, but when I click on one the right pane that shows it is blank, and then when I click "select" it never replaces the default guide.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I did one more unranked, I picked Support WD, we had a dual mid, while me and an offlane Tusk held top tower. We both thought we were the support so we fought over not last hitting. After about ten minutes, the dire offlane CK that had a free lane as around level 12, and just farmed us over and over again until our two midlaners went afk in fountain. At one point, I thought was in a battle doing well but turns out I had been dead for ten seconds.

I uninstalled the game, seriously, I have like a million projects to do around the house, two kids to raise, and a marriage. I just don't have time for the few minutes I get to play Video Games be this infuriating.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sab669 posted:

It's a hard sell to say, "The first hundred games suck when you get paired with newbs who have no concept of what laning should be like"

I can't imagine that I have to deal with ~100 hours of this before it starts to get enjoyable, that's like two years of the time I have gaming. I'm just going to keep watching Twitch streams, posting in the dota pro thread about OG, and never picking up this nightmare again. I also don't have a PC strong enough to play it on high settings, so as soon as Kunka gets his water park (which is every game) it turns in to a Dota2 Slideshow Edition.

ILL Machina posted:

Dota speed run complete

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I play unranked with friends, and ranked alone. Surprisingly, my unranked games are a lot more difficult/sweaty. I think having large skill gaps across players has something g to do with it.

Is there a hidden MMR for unranked?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Fine you guys win I just reinstalled it. My kid has a slight more powerful laptop so I put a profile for myself on it and it's downloading dotes now. I don't have work tomorrow so I'm gonna stay up and Dota. Anyone want to play

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Played a Mid Zeus and then a Dual Offlane Core as a WK, and I absolutely wreck them. Zeus with that build is a low rank pub destroyer, and WK is unstoppable once you get going. It's wild.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The WK game, we picked three cores (mid QoP, Huskar that I assumed was P3, and then I picked WK safelane with a Lich sup). Then the guy last picked a Sven and went safelane and started yelling at me. I ended up going Offlane, and Huskar and I had our own CS battle for a bit and whenever the enemy Weaver popped up, we turned, killed him, and went back to our own CS stuggle.

it's hard to CS against a Huskar in general, let alone an allied one.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mortimer Knag posted:

That's probably the better way to play any lane when you're in super low MMR games. If your core is only getting half their cs, it's wasting gold NOT to fight them for it.

I was trying to practice support, but in low rank pubs everyone is carry so it's impossible. You end up with everyone at the same level in games that never end, so you get to have fun with supports, like I got a WD to level 25, six slotted, and he just slapped.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Lol I got farmed by a riki one game. I had sentries but instead of placing it, I dropped it. He destroyed it, killed me, all chatted lol and then tipped me.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bawfuls posted:

the friend who's most into dota hates turbo because "it's not real dota" lol

None of Dota is real.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Had a couple really nice NP games, I stomped the lanes, I'm getting way better at last hitting. The problem is late game I have a hard time keeping an eye on my hero, and not just feeding. Maybe the trick for NP is to build some attack range so you can sprout, and then right click from a distance? I'm not sure but I'm getting to a point where I can easily win an early game, but then late I start to throw it away.

I also had a horrible game on Riki. I did OK in the lanes, but then when I started hunting supports I just couldn't kill them. What's the build for an early game assassin Riki?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Nature's Prophet's one of those heroes that force you at any moment to decide whether it's better to fight with your team or push a lane instead. Sometimes staying out of the fight, and choosing to make a Dota 2 game a single player one is a winning strat. It's called ratting, a less-than-honorable tactic that wins games.

makes sense, the problem is that I push lanes and get a bunch of farm, but then my team all just rushes the towers and all dies. I'm going to try an Orchid build and try fighting earlier.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Is there a key bind to lock camera on a hero so it follows?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mr.Acula posted:

This is my spacebar

I have select hero on 1, but that doesn't like "lock" the camera on it unless you hold it right?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Vando posted:

You never want the camera centred on your hero because you should always have your hero on the "safe" edge of the screen to maximise vision of the "danger" side.

Makes sense.

I had a couple games last night that were terrible, maybe I can get some guidance:
1) played WD p5, and I was just food for this shadow blade/blink Slardar. No matter where I was he found and killed me first thing. I built glimmer cape and tried to get some casual armor, but it was a slog of a game. I think that wasn't on me, though. We had two people fighting over safelane so we didn't have any one that could man up. I think I could have laned better, there was an SK in our lane, I should have gotten sentries so we had a better start.
2) Zeus mid vs a Necro and I was just food for him. I couldn't last night at all. It was a nightmare. I couldn't get anything done, not enough mana to farm, no items for fights, it was a rough one
3) NP safelane vs a Sniper. We won this game at like 60 min because I ratted with shadowblade, but we couldn't deal with the Sniper. My intention was to ward the enemy jungle and try to pick him off, but he never went into the jungle and just kept farming our heroes. Eventually I just wait for a team fight, and TPed past their team and came in from the rear and caught him. That seemed to work, but usually we'd both die.

That said I'm having fun so that's good.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
i've official become an NP spammer and I hate myself.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I need to come to terms with just "you're going to lose this lane, basically no matter what" so just minimize the bleeding and don't feed. It's hard when you are tuned on CS.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sab669 posted:

I'd go one step further and come to acceptance with the fact that you will sometimes lose the game outright, regardless of how spectacularly you won or lost your lane :v:

But yea, yet another skill of the game is counter picking your opponent and knowing that Hero A beats Hero B in most match ups unless Hero A is controlled by a much worse player. In those occasions you either ask your team to help rotate and gank, go gank other lanes yourself, or find somewhere else to farm and just try not to feed. Or be like me and say gently caress that, I'll just play who I enjoy playing :hmmyes:

In Unranked, picking is madness. You get weird drafts with five carries, and everyone fights over safelane. Maybe the solution is to always last pick and try to round out a draft, but then you give away the broken heroes from the patch.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

anilEhilated posted:

My favorite for this kind of strategy is Winter Wyvern who starts off as a helpful support and turns into airborne artillery.

That Sniper game was like that, lvl 25 wyvern and sniper, it was absolute madness.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Had an absolute banger of a p5 Jakiro game with a Safe lane Kunka. We slaughtered them in lane, got a bunch of kills and farmed them all game.

Then I figured why not run it back with another one, this time we had two people go mid (willow and viper). With no safelane core, I tried to CS but then Willow TPed after being killed twice in a dual mid lane (not sure how that happened, but somehow they kept getting picked off by a single mid pudge. After two deaths, Willow TPed to safe lane, and started to CS called that he was the carry and took the farm. I managed to get a few kills in lane, but were so far behind and the mid pudge had like 5 flesh heap stacks by minute 5 and he just started to eat us for lunch. What a nightmare of a game. We managed to hold until 50 min but they were just toying with us.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

emdash posted:

Frostivus coming in December, new arcanas et al next year. 7.34e out today with nerfs for the worst of the patch

NP untouched, nice

btw I did a couple Jakiro games, since it's unranked circus dota, I got to play safelane carry Jakiro. I had a P1 bristle, but after he feed first blood he just jungled all game. He's a monster when he gets farm. It was a blast. This is maybe game 30 or so, and I finally got the jitters out and was able to properly use Euls and Force to save/position, I almost enjoy playing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I had a really odd game last night, it went about 80 minutes. Long story short I was P5 NP, but the safelane MK was so bad I stayed higher level than him. The cores complained the entire time about the sups, but honestly I have no idea what he wanted me to do. I tried sprouting the dire Razor when he linked the MK, (the MK complained because he wanted to go in and man fight) when I tried to pull he got mad that I wasn't zoning the Razor, he kept buying the wards and dying. It was a weird game. Fortunately I ratted it out, and we ended up winning.

My question is what is a p5 supposed to do? I assumed pull if the lane gets too pushed, try to zone the other carry, and try to deny?

I know I'm a mechanical novice at Dota, but tactics wise I thought I had a good handle on it?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sab669 posted:

If the enemy team can dive, you often really don't want to pull.

But also, just because someone is complaining doesn't mean they're justified in it :v:

I don't get why you wouldn't want to pull? The closer the wave gets to their tower it's way harder to CS, and pulling helps to reset creep equilibrium, I thought. They had a Razor and PB, and it was impossible to CS against them with a melee MK.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sab669 posted:

It's highly situational, but depending on when / how you pull you are forcing them to push under your tower... where the creep wave will tank tower shots while that Primal Beast charges in and Tramples / Razor's Plasma Field does a ton of damage.

A couple right clicks to finish you off, if needed.

Fast / Tanky heroes who don't necessarily really need to right click often appreciate when you pull that small camp by the T1. Bristleback, Axe, Primal Beast etc.

Oh that makes sense. I don't think this guy was good enough to know that, he was just mad that he couldn't CS. One interesting thing that I'm trying to trying to learn from, he kept getting linked by Razor, and I sprouted Razor so he could escape. But weirdly a few times when he got linked, he went in on the Razor and ulted right as I sprouted. The MK died ever time. The Razor got a full link, took almost no damage, slowed the MK and killed him. The MK told me to stop doing that, but like why? If I didn't sprout, was he expecting to manfight a lvl10 razor as a lvl7 mk ?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
All good points. What makes me the most ? is that the guy said "NP, I don't know what to do with you" and I responded "heyo, let me know what to do and I"ll do it" and the guy said "I shouldn't have to tell you how to do your job". So thanks I guess?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I had a bonkers game last night where I picked Jakiro sup, and laned with a Razor, but after the first five minutes I realized he was giving me tangos and not getting any last hits. I messaged "support razor?" and he responded "yup". It'd have been nice to know before hand since I too spent the first few waves avoiding last hits.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Is there a discord or whatevs for goon dotes?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I keep wanting to try Abba P5, but every time I pick him, the two cores both go safelane, and I'm stuck laning with a support that assumes I want carry and we battle over avoiding last hits.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I queued up for some Dotes after the kids went to bed, during the draft my internet flaked, and I got DCed. I reconnected with in 30 sec, but I was already out and banned from queuing for 2 hours. I can't even with this game.

edit; argh I guess I'll use this night to catch up on work blargh

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 12, 2023

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Ok so I'm a new player, I've maybe had three weeks of dota. In the past week, I've had maybe 3 disconnects due to the lobby not loading, maybe why wifi hiccuped for a few minutes, but now I'm stuck in Low Priority, where I can only do single draft. I've probably gotten several reports as I try to learn new heroes, but I'm not sure how to check that.

in Low Priority, I have to get 3 or 5 wins, but the queue takes 15 min to find a game, and when I join I can pick one of five heroes that I've never played before so of course I get stomped. How am I supposed to learn how to play? Like this is such a miserable experience, I've never once been toxic or offensive in voice, just trying to learn new roles/heroes, and a 3 dcs in a week. What an experience for a new player.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Dota 2 really hates you for leaving games early. Like, a lot. In all fairness, it does suck for the other guys to play a game that takes up to an hour a man down.

In all the DC cases, I silently DCed on the draft screen. The only way I knew I was out was the draft screen didn't update at the right time. I always rejoined with in a minute or two, but I guess that the draft screen time out is a different timer than the 4 min in game timeout.

I think it's a combination of the DCs with reports, I guess? But it doesn't tel lyou

I can't spare the 15-30 minutes it will take to find a game, only to get stuck with a random hero pool and have to deal with this. I refuse to waste my time on this. I'm just going to bail out.

here's my steam report for all this:

I'm not too clear on the details, but it has me down for a total of three DCs.

1) I was in demo mode for a hero, and when I exited it it said I didn't ready up an was being penalized, but it never prompted me to join
2) silent dc in draft (power outage due to a storm I think)
3) silent dc in draft (no idea, the coordinator just said I lost contact)

The reports don't look too bad either, but I have no idea. All I know is that I just don't have time to wait for the game to decide to let me play. If I could just even do regular draft it'd be management, but I'm getting games where I have to pick from 5 heroes that no one knows, and it's just impossible. I see that I have a few games where I got 5 reports, but it's like I've played maybe 30 matches? I need to learn somehow.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I just got a copy of Super Mario Wonder. A game that can play whenever and whereever I want. And if I put it down to take a leak it won't ban me from playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just to clear not going to stop dotaing. I'll figure out low priority. They're guys don't even know I was raised in a dumpster and eat suffering for lunch.