Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Neurolimal posted:

How many true incompatible orbs were left before this patch killed them anyways

All I can think of is antimage, maybe impetus???

E: I'm sad shadow demon didnt get a L25 talent that added shadow poison to his attacks
Two, according to the patch notes (Anti-Mage and OD). They'd been slowly killing them off for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Kild posted:

pango gently caress is poo poo and dotabuff confirms it 36% winrate.
I think people assume he's a safelane carry. He is not.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Cuntellectual posted:

Honestly I might just quit playing. The incrimental and well thought out changes IceFrog used to make are history, now Valve makes sweeping changes with seemingly zero consideration of how it'll change the game or interact with other changes.
Every major Dota patch as long as I've been following Dota 2 has had a whole list of wacky batshit ideas in it, then the minor patches claw back some of the stupider ones (like comeback gold). I'm not sure what game you're playing.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Wangsbig posted:

I think the most questionable move of all this patch was owning randoming in many different ways for no reason
AR sucks now
SD is full of low priority shutters
RD got changed to be kinda tryhard

RIP Fun Dota modes.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Neurolimal posted:

...it does. The only modifiers it doesnt proc are ones based on your attack damage; cleave, lifesteal, or crit.
It even procs Return Aura, I'm pretty sure. Its ticks seem like they're coded as a 0% damage autoattack plus the fixed damage value.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Irony Be My Shield posted:

What mechanics have they actually made simpler?
UAMs are now completely dead (and have been dying for awhile now). Farther back, the simplification of damage and armor types.

You could also sort of argue that the gold/XP changes are in the broad direction of making it easier to get gold and XP, but that one's harder to make a case for.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Mr. Bill posted:

Also, courier no longer has to be upgraded. Just babysat sometimes.
You basically pay for the courier upgrade up-front: it's 200g this patch instead of a total of 220? last patch, but you pay for it at the start of the game instead of paying half at the start of the game and the other half at 3 minutes (most of which was probably passive gold).

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

jBrereton posted:

Yeah it's probably among the more irritating changes in 7.07 because now a lot of support players are just straight up refusing to buy the full allotment of support poo poo at the start of the game unless one of their favourite heroes is a Mango Champ Du Jour.
I mean, if I can help it, I'd rather walk to lane with more than tangos and 2 branches or clarities, especially because rune fights are more common now.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
My MMR has dropped so much in the last year that I queued into Weedman tonight.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I might be turning into a Riki Picker. Send help.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
There are a couple heroes with higher potential APM requirements (Meepo, arguably Tinker), but for the most part APM isn't that useful above a fairly low threshold.

Laning has a bunch of fiddly mechanical things that you can absolutely get better at: compare a random 2k player's CS in lane to a professional carry player on a stream, for example. Like economy in SC2, your ability to CS has a big impact on how fast you hit your item timings and start to have a bigger impact on the game.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Kawabata posted:

I obviously don't have Valve data on cosmetics sales but the problem is that they were significantly easier to find in the past, with the obvious consequence that whatever you got kind of "lured you in" and even non-whales were tempted to buy them. I never buy cosmetics in games but I got 4 different sets in 2014, as most of my friends did. Now it's more of a "gently caress you, buy my cosmetics" system that no one likes and it's really jarring because it wasn't like that before.
The other thing that Valve did which is sort of unfortunate is that they made dropped items untradeable. You used to be able to use the Steam Market to sell drops you didn't want and buy the sets or pieces you liked. Now, you get a drop once in a blue moon and you can't trade it, so it just sort of sits in your inventory, and you can't use it as seed money to buy some other cheap hat.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I just got a huge rank upgrade which corresponds roughly to my old party MMR (I haven't played a party MMR game this season, and my solo MMR is in the toilet). Did Valve change the rank system so it took the higher of your solo and party MMRs?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Kawabata posted:

is there any dota 2 pro/big streamer nowadays that isn't a loving mongoloid alt right racist

you open bulldog's stream, the first thing you see is pepe and him calling other players monkeys; you open sing's stream and, well,

this game really has become Trump's Dota
Draskyl stream is still pretty good and on often, although he goes through phases of not really wanting to play Dota.

Waga is okay.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Good Video Game
https://clips.twitch.tv/DignifiedTriumphantBarracudaSMOrc
(He couldn't use any skills or items, and the CM kept force staffing him until he literally clipped into the ground and couldn't be found by the enemy team, since killing him might have fixed the problem.)

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Neurolimal posted:

Has any interesting strats come out of the CK agh, seems like something that could be silly with some ranged carries
It's like the Sven Agh's in that there's basically never a time when you are both (a) in a position to farm Agh's on top of the other basic stuff you'd get, and (b) not playing position 1/2 where you need to use that slot for something better.

I sort of assume all the bullshit useless Agh's upgrades are there for Alchemist (and now Io).

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The graphs were interesting, but the concept of "if you have a bad lane and your item timing gets delayed, your win rate goes down" feels sort of obvious.

It's weird that the Tinker Blink Dagger timing is #1 for high MMR but the Tinker BoT timing doesn't appear on the list at all: usually you think of BoT as the item that enables Tinker to start putting pressure on the map (with Blink Dagger as the follow-up item that just lets him do it more safely).

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

So snatching an extra rune is a 400 gold swing? Although maybe a 200 gold swing on your top positions mattered more anyway IDK.
It means you won't have mid players immediately sending out a salve on the courier anymore, because they start with less gold and get less gold from the 0 minute bounty. The courier buyer starts with a lot more gold, though: even in 2k pubs where there's only one support, you can do the old wand rush build (tangoes, 2 branches, mango, 2 obs, courier).

The stack thing is the kind of weird Dota change that I'm not sure how to feel about : it gives supports an incentive to be stacking in the jungle instead of camping lanes, which might be good or bad, and creates a side benefit for cores that can easily kill big stacks like TA and Sven.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Solarflare posted:

This hasn't been the case for a very long time.

Edit: It's been nearly four years since you could rebuy bkb
It was sort of funny to see super-late-game carries with 3 BKBs of various durations sitting in their stash back when you could rebuy BKB but not sell it.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

lol is that herald aka the lowest ranK? well at least itll be fun to get back to ur rank at 90% winrate
No, that's Crusader (the 3rd rank). You can tell by the number of stars inside the emblem (up to Legend, although the 5 stars in the Legend emblem are a bit obscured).

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Don't listen to anything tcjimbo says

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

ILL Machina posted:

Yeah that's fair, sometimes you get screwed with a long one at 45, but at least it's not 75. And it's a pretty different game with the reduced tower hp and personal courier, but I've been enjoying the 22min average.
The thing that's weird about Turbo is that it's permanently skewed toward push drafts. If someone ran an actual Turbo mode tournament, Drow would be a first phase ban.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The majority of Dota Plus's value is from cosmetics; it has some machine-learning stuff that it exposes for skill and item builds, but honestly most of its value can be replaced by clicking on one of the highly rated hero guides ingame.

(Point of order: The "Dota" in Dota 2 officially doesn't stand for anything; the "Defense of the Ancients" name was a casualty of their ongoing legal squabbling with Blizzard, even though the two buildings on either side of the map are still called "ancients".)

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

dr.acula posted:

my ssd crashed and I ate an abandon but I didnt get lpq :c00l:
You can abandon one game per week or something like that without getting LPQ, presumably because they don't want to inflict LPQ on people just for having their internet die for 20 minutes.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Mr. Bill posted:

Ranked role matching seems so great as an idea, but every time I've queued I've waited through 8 minutes of queue time before giving up. It being dota plus only really limits it I think.
Yeah, queue times were bad even when it was a Battle Pass feature, and even when queuing support. It'd also be nice if you could pick more than one: either for two roles like support/offlane or just checking all the boxes for "I don't care what I play, I just don't want a role argument on the pick screen".

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Comrayn posted:

This is good for normal functioning people but dota players would check everything then call mid or feed once a game is found.
There's nothing stopping people from queuing support and doing that now. (There's a new report option for "didn't play declared role", but I'm not sure how much weight it carries.)

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

ubachung posted:

Making my first post in this thread to say the new patch is terrible. Bizarre and unnecessary changes everywhere imo.
Is this your first major Dota patch? You can tell us; it's okay.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
This is probably the closest I'll ever get to a Maelk Award

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Elman posted:

Supports don't need to scale well into the late game, there's really no reason a hero like Lina should be able to pierce bkb with her ult.
Lina is almost exclusively a mid hero now, one of the few that's actually gone up in farm priority and not down, and even then Lina Agh's is a niche item. (A lot of the old playmaker mids are now 3s or even 4s, since most teams have 2 farming cores and you don't want to waste one of those slots on a Puck or whatever. Pudge is actually pickable as a 4 now, for example.)

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Was there a patch where you could run 4 cores and a jungler and not expect to lose horribly?
In low MMR games, maybe, because low MMR games both stretch on forever and don't punish bad laning comps nearly as hard as they should.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Kild posted:

its niche, only ever really bought on nyx or tree and I think OG bought it both times I saw it
Its other niche is "my team is outrageously bad at hitting buildings", and that niche will basically never happen at TI because teams have long since gotten smart enough to draft something that hits buildings.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Honestly looking at any of the news sets beside the Ursa cowboy hat should tell you everything you ever need to know about what introducing cosmetics will eventually lead to. Things will start off mild until it turns into a nuclear arms race of making the biggest most glowing screen-covering poo poo they can possibly muster
We already have the Earthshaker arcana which makes him look like Spirit Breaker and the blue DK set that looks sort of like a fatter PA.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Groovelord Neato posted:

pugna is a lane creep too. treant protector is a tower.

but it is nuts siege engine and especially raider were never used.
I think there was a siege engine hero at some point (Sidereal Engine?).

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Johnny Joestar posted:

i never realized how much i enjoyed playing enchantress until just recently, and uh. people really don't know how to deal with impetus, do they?
Yeah, I pick Enchantress as a 4 and just spend the first 10 minutes grinning like an idiot.

It seems less effective as a core, since as a core you have to also hit creeps and can't just dance in and out of the trees as Impetus comes off cooldown, and her problems against burst damage and BKB cores are more of an issue later in the game when you represent more of your team's net worth.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

sugar free jazz posted:

Yeah if someone is 100+ they bought a lot of levels
If you're going to buy any levels, you bought the 100 level pack with the battle pass; anyone in the low 100s probably just did that.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Bloody Pom posted:

I also find it kinda impressive at how many notable people they got to make announcer packs. Three I can think of off the top of my head are Richard Ridings, Hatsune Miku and Samuel L Jackson. If I recall the last one was because Maliken is a big fan and just paid him a shitload of money to make it.
Samuel L Jackson's whole brand for like the last 30 years is that he'll do anything as long as it amuses him and pays him.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Syrinxx posted:

whoever put Meepo early in the all hero challenge can eat a fat dick for all eternity
I'm pretty sure it just starts at a random point in the cycle for each player.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

causticBeet posted:

Wait they’re not doubling up the extra prize pool money from last years book with this years TI?
The battle pass and its levels are 75% the cost of last year's because they took out the component that went into the prize pool.

Yes, this means Valve is making the same amount of money per battle pass purchase and just not sharing any with the players.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
it's a beta
https://clips.twitch.tv/StormyProductiveRabbitPeanutButterJellyTime-4e3AY68bHFdVzmjS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Pretty sure PA ult is still a passive? 20% on hit or 40% on a dagger for your next attack to be the crit, a buff (if not nullified) for sustained fights but now it's literally impossible to 1 shot someone with a rando first hit crit or dagger, so makes playing support slightly less miserable vs her.
It also gives you some ability to prime a crit before you jump on someone: it's a 6 second duration so you kinda have to work fast (you can't just prime a crit and then smoke across the map), but it's more reliable than the old PRNG manipulation method.