Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I love '80's cars.
I hate this though:

5 temp sensor/connections, half a dozen vacuum, millions of relays, defunct PCV/crankcase blowby scavenging. MITSUBISHI!!!! :argh:

Honda's of the same vintage aren't much better.

No wonder everything was vacuum powered though. The 80's sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

DICK DICER posted:

THE FURTHER SOUTH I GO THE HOTTER IT KEEPS GETTING

:wink:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Okay people, I have a question: What's your favorite "guilty pleasure" beer/drink/sin? My GF's is Grolsch. She used to drink it a bunch as a younger person, and still enjoys one maybe every six months. Mine is Coors Banquet. It's garbage, but I enjoyed it for a few years off and on, and I really enjoyed it playing My Summer Car. I have this rule where, if I go to a proper liquor/wine store, I buy something different every time. I mean, I may buy the same thing, but it has to also include something I've never had before. The only two beers I get with any regularity (like, maybe 4 times a year, tops) are Coors Banquet and Heineken. Everything else I try is brand spankin' new.

What's your guilty/embarrassed liquor or other (if you don't drink)?

There's just something about PBR that takes me back to a better time of eating chicken skin tacos and getting stoned all the loving time.
Miller Light takes me back to being 10 and doing chores. Mmmm, splitting wood, puffer vests, wheelbarrows, and grass clippings.

Echotic posted:

Bundaberg Smooth and Shifty. Sarsparilla and Dark Rum. Very tasty.
Bundaberg is incredibly my poo poo. I recently introduced a friend to "Dark 'n' stormies" and blew his goddamned mind.
No I don't use that molasses bullshit blackstrap rum.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

scuz posted:

Black Label beer is like drinking a hug, reminds me of times when I had no responsibilities whatsoever and everything was great.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Watch this with me:

http://coxuniversity.cox.com/learningcontent/cox/roles/fm200%20video/fm200.html

it involves heptafluoropropane

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
brisket.

It doesn't look all that great but it tasted fantastic.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Motherfucker I just hauled almost 150 records out of Goodwill today for $100 (including some other things.)
I probably overpaid, but c'mon... How often do you find a DJ's entire collection in fantastic shape for $.75/record?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbfn4xbHiWB/?taken-by=paperassgasket

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

It's been a year today since my mom died. Kind of strange to believe it's already been a year

Yesterday would have been my dad's 67th birthday.
A month from Thanksgiving will be the first anniversary of his death.

sigtrap posted:

Why the hell did I move to Seattle? Cool city and all, but I'll need a second job to afford a parking place.

woah... where have you been?
Welcome back!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

My last apartment was $599/mo when I moved in.. was up to $650/mo when I moved out a few years later.

It now rents for $1300. :stare:

I've been priced out of the Dallas side of the metro area unless I get pretty far out. I know one person commuting to work halfway from loving Oklahoma now, and a lot of friends have moved out to areas like Greenville TX (and still commute into DFW for work :cripes:)

Hey I'm gonna be in Dallas in a couple weeks to clean out my dad's house (he died last year).
Serious question: do you want to buy a house? There's a pool.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Need any help cleaning out the house though? Buy some beer and I'm there.

Possibly? I might need a hand lifting a gun safe and a dresser.
As for the rest of it, I'm already gonna have my sister, aunt, and grandmother there. It's gonna be a poo poo show and I really don't want to do this.

I'm taking off the 1st through 8th so if you or any other goons in the DFW area want to chill then PM me your number or whatever other preferred method of communication.
Looking forward to eating Pecan Lodge and In-N-Out every day though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ilkhan posted:

Habit > In'N'Out > whataburger

OH NO WHAT HAVE STARTED?!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
So how do you guys feel about Smashburger?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

IOwnCalculus posted:

They'll put fresh jalapenos and guac on a burger, how do you think I feel about that?

Five Guys will put fresh jalapenos AND grilled jalapenos on a burg. How about that?
Guac on a burg just doesn't do it for me.

Personally, I don't think Smashburger is all that special.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Darchangel posted:

I like Five Guys, too, but agree that they are a bit expensive for what they are. Whataburger is no gourmet burger by any means, but as far as fast food burgers, at fast food burger prices, they rock. In 'N' Out is good for the price, don't get me wrong. I just didn't think that they were the Nirvana of burgers deserving the idolatry I witnessed from SoCal transplants here.
That said, when I worked for a couple of weeks in Cali, I may have waxed poetic for and/or lamented the lack of Whataburgers there.

This is something I noted when comparing my current Uverse plan with charter/Spectrum/formerly Time-Warner cable here. I'm currently exempt from the data cap because I have Uverse TV as well, but I was planning on dropping that in the very least. $90 for poo poo I don't watch is starting to get annoying. Need to get off my butt and switch, especially since I can get 100/10 Mb for $45 (for one year, then $65.) I'm paying $50 for 18 Mb. AT&T's high-speed offering is 50 Mb @ $60, and still carries the 1TB limit. I don't even need to pay the $5/mo extra to Spectrum for a WiFi router, since I have a Ubiquiti.

Huh. I never get a bad burger at the one I go to by work. Always fresh and juicy, and the folks working the counter and back are enthusiastic. I'm sorry you've got crappy cooks where you are.

Tasty. I also like their Veggie Frites, since I'm trying to be good and cut down on sugar/carbs. If I'm honest, the only real reason that Five Guys wins out over Smashburger when I'm choosing lunch, it's because I really want Five Guys' cajun-style fries.

for some good burger, there's "The Porch" on Greenville in Dallas. Too far to go now that I don't work in downtown, but they were in the top 10 in Texas some years back. It was definitely tasty. First time I had a burger with an egg on it. Now I order that whenever it's available.

Have you tried Twisted Root Burger Co. in Deep Ellum?

~EDIT: OH gently caress I WAS SO DISTRACTED BY BURGERS THAT I FORGOT ABOUT KOLACHE!~

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

IOwnCalculus posted:

Five Guys isn't bad but I don't get the hype. Way too greasy.

I didn't know there was hype. Five Guys is our area's Hometown Hero. They've always been around, so it's just what you do here.
The grease is the appeal as far as I'm concerned.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Re: Carl's Jr / Hardees... I pity anyone who didn't get their Western Bacon Thickburger or Roast Beef Au Jus burger, because HOLY gently caress.

I think people who don't like In-N-Out just caught the hype before they got the burger. The burgers themselves aren't mind blowing, but the fact that I can get 4 patties and cheese for half the cost of a Five Guys burger is pretty amazing. Also I can eat a whole bag of burgers and not get the meat sweats.

Let's compare:
Five Guys

In-N-Out

Shake Shack - honestly they're bullshit. Their best burg is actually just a mushroom.

Home made:

Smashburger :(

Bo Ssam burger

Bulgogi beef sliders

Social Burger in Vienna, VA

Cowboy Cafe in Arlington, VA

Wendy's (I call it the Beef Cube)

Hardee's (modern day, post golden era)

Edit: I could have sworn I had Whataburger pictures handy but I guess I just ate them before I got a chance to take a picture.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 21, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I'm now questioning your taste in food.
I didn't say I didn't like it. But Guac alone does not a burger topping make. If you notice I posted a burg with guac, but it's also got sriracha mayo, and red onions and was smashed with taco seasoning.

eyebeem posted:

How loud is your breathing at rest?

I'm not a mouthbreather, but I've definitely put on like 20lbs since I hit 30.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Hey, anyone spoken to blk lately? He hasn't posted since mid October or been on the slack he runs.
Nope. But I don't want this to go unnoticed.
I hope he's okay :ohdear:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 21, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
why the gently caress is it so hard to find cavatappi pasta or large elbow macaroni?

what kind of terrible hosed up mac and cheese is the rest of America putting up with?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Goober Peas posted:

I...actually had this conversation with someone last week. Cavatappi is almost impossible to find. I found some at Whole Foods and at a local international market.

WOO! Harris Teeter #3 had it!
2 harris teeters, 2 safeways, a wegmans, a food lion and a walmart all failed me.

redgubbinz posted:

If any supermarkets near you carry DeCecco pasta they'll probably have cavatappi, it's my go-to since it holds sauce nicely.

The harris teeter I found it at had both their own brand and DeCecco. I went with the HT house brand because I'm curious if it's any good. That and it's only $1/box.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

freelop posted:

If anyone is after a steam link it's currently 90% off (down to £3.99)
I use one quite regularly and they are nicely made

Gamestop doesn't have it available for free pickup anymore and shipping in the US is $8.
Still a fantastic deal, but silly that sending the box costs more than buying it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

InitialDave posted:

I was able to get Steam to work remotely on another PC on my network without any extra hardware.

Yeah the idea behind the Steam Link is that you can just velcro it to the back of your living room TV and play games with your PS4 or Xbox controller or whatever. Or stream movies, or whatever. Without having to set up another computer, or whatever.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Sorry I skipped the last 6 pages and have been busy with life.

I have awesome news that the wife says I'm not allowed to share, but that doesn't mean you can't guess.
Also, literally my entire family is all of a sudden worried about me driving to Texas in what is certainly the safest and most capable vehicle I have ever owned.

WHERE THE gently caress WERE YOU WHEN I RODE 2000 STRAIGHT MILES ON A 90'S SPORTBIKE?!?!?! OR THAT TIME I TOWED A 10,000LB TRAILER WITH A GODDAMNED EXPLORER SPORT TRAC?!?! HOW DID YOU NOT NOTICE I PUT 45,000 MILES ON YOUR LINCOLN TOWNCAR IN A SINGLE YEAR IN HIGH SCHOOL?!?! WHAT THE gently caress FAM?!?!?

So hows everyone doing with those Turkey day leftovers? I only have 8 lbs of turkey left and I'm pretty proud of that fact.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Powershift posted:

Now that you're pregnant, they care about you.

Shhhhhh they don't know.

...wait, gently caress.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

IOwnCalculus posted:

We got a turkey from the local god-tier barbecue shop. They sold out their pre orders in five days around Halloween. Took another 45 minutes of waiting on Thanksgiving itself since they weren't quite warming up in the smokers as fast as expected, so it literally was straight from smoker to car to table to stuffing all of our faces.

It was amazing. Hell, my kid wanted leftovers from it two nights in a row.
Yo my dad (RIP) taught me how to smoke a turkey and I still think it's the best way to do it. Slit some holes in the skin and slip in some jalapeno coins and garlic cloves underneath beforehand. mmmmmmmmmmmmm hmmm.

slidebite posted:

I actively prefer turkey or chicken sandwiches over the main meal. Good bread, mayo, salt and pepper. Nomnomnom
Yeah... day of the feast, it's all about the sides. Every day after it's about how many different ways I can have turkey on bread.

rdb posted:

My wife has morning sickness and the turkey is the trigger. Still have a ton of it left, both breasts since neither of us like white meat. I am going to make some turkey fried rice tomorrow, maybe some turkey hash for breakfast.

On the plus side I got to see an ultrasound today and the little guy has a normal nuchal fold, along with a normal panorama test so he’s got a good shot at being free from trisomy disorders.

Congrats! That's a sigh of relief. Sucks about the turkey, but more for you I guess...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Open-faced turkey sandwich with stuffing, soaked in gravy.

I should do both American and Canadian Thanksgiving next year. Double sandwiches.

Or just go big all in one day like I do and have lots of leftover parties.
20lb ham. 22lb turkey. 14lb turkey. 12lb pot roast (chuck).
A dozen cans of green beans worth of casserole.
10 lbs of mashed potatoes.
4 boxes of cavatappi and 7 lbs of cheese worth of mac and cheese. (it was not enough cheese, not even close.)
Sweet potato casserole - 2 huge cans and an entire bag of marshmallows.
3 pyrex trays of stuffing.
4 qt of spinach dip.
Broccoli casserole.
6 giant pies and a cheesecake.
plus whatever everyone else brought, including mom's cranberry relish.

I sort of live for this. Thanksgiving is absolutely my favorite holiday; family, food, alcohol, and appreciation. What more could you want? It's literally a celebration of the model for how we should be living our lives.

as for your sandwich... melt some butter in a pan, stir in panko breadcrumbs.
meanwhile soak some fresh bread in leftover gravy. add turkey, a bit of cheese, and a bunch of stuffing.
assemble soggy mess of gravy soaked bread, turkey cheese and stuffing before rolling in buttered panko breadcrumbs.
Dredge in egg then roll in panko breadcrumbs again.
Either flash fry in an inch of oil, turning only when it browns, or toss it in the oven until crispy and dark on the outside.
Thank me later. Also, maybe go visit a cardiologist.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

IOwnCalculus posted:

I will never know enough of the dark arts of smoking to replicate this myself, but I will gladly throw some money at a local business who does it better than I can ever hope to.

They go full petcock spatchcock with it. I only ended up with a little of the dark meat myself and it was incredible.

start here.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/altons-butterflied-turkey-0174972

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
^What in the actual gently caress.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

jamal posted:

You can show up any time between 4 and 10:30 but still spend two hours sitting in traffic a day? How does that work?

He must live near DC

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Fuckkkkkkkkk I hosed up my front brakes when I installed the pads back in July and now I get to do pads and rotors tonight before I leave for Texas in the morning GODDAMNIT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Hm

Not exactly CT level drama or impact (no hard meaning with "drama," I know it's used more often sarcastically), but this slays me.

Picked the wrong month to stop drinking. Just got this text randomly midday today.

Nice. You got the couch all to yourself then.
Time to blaze a fatty and chill to some netflix.

• Locked thread