Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

The Locator posted:

Wow.. does your insurance plan not have a 'max annual out of pocket', or is it just stupidly high? I believe mine caps out somewhere around two grand, but my deductible is 800, so only another 1200'ish after paying my deductible I hit max out of pocket and everything goes to 100% covered. I guess I'm lucky in that I've never hit it, but it's nice to know it's there if something like what you are going through ever happens.

Mine has an out of pocket of $8000, the PICU care for my son hit it in 1 day. Anthem was also kind enough to reset it mid year when they removed all his records :( We managed to get it sorta fixed, we could prove all but $300 worth of bills, which they were lovely enough to add back onto the deductible. So yeah, we are going to spend close to $8500 this year not including the $180/m premium. Next year looks to be the same, we have $3500 or so saved so far for it.

I would say your insurance is among the best I have heard of in a long time. Decent healthcare coverage seems like a long ago dream at this point. At this point I just pray nothing happens because the result is bankruptcy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

InitialDave posted:

I do wonder, seeing as the people we normally get to talk to are at least somewhat intelligent: Does the average American understand how totally hosed their healthcare system is, or the universal self-reporting income tax stuff?

I would say yes, its probably 60% of the population that understand its hosed, the other 40% have medicare, medicaid or child health plus paying for all their expenses and fygm.

I tell my wife this all the time. I really wish everyone had the same lovely coverage we do because things would change in a god damm hurry. The problem is it varies so much.

I didn’t know our income tax was considered self reporting. Most employers (unless its on a 1099) withhold income tax from your check and send it directly to the government.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Enourmo posted:

Hybrid rocket adventures continue. You'd think small-diameter nitrous tanks would be more common for stealth installs on racecars, but apparently they either don't exist or I just don't have the google-fu to dig them up.

Motorcycle size tanks are too big? NOS makes a small one I think.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...oxoC09IQAvD_BwE

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

IOwnCalculus posted:

gently caress, the latest Hot Rod Garage makes me want to spend waaaaaay too much money on a Magnuson supercharger.

I canceled MTOD a while back but you got me curious, what did they put it on?

I had been eyeing their tundra kit, its something like a 150hp gain.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
5 guys has really gone downhill in the fries department. The burgers were always a greasy mess, the fries used to be cooked right and a huge amount, the huge amount part gets smaller every year while the price climbs.

Personally I think that chain has expanded way more than it should.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

ExplodingSims posted:

I'd like this to be the case, but 90% of the population is just gonna hear about how this is removing BIG GUMMIMENT REGULATIONS from the internet, so it's a good thing in their eyes.

This is 90% of the comments on my local news facebook, and I think the chair of the fcc worded it very carefully to confuse those types. I just hope it doesn’t hurt my small rural co op isp.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

General_Failure posted:

That's an odd analogy. Not sure who you are arguing for. I mean a toll is a toll which goes to the owner of the private roadway. No matter where you are from if you are using their road you have to pay. Makes sense.

I'm for net neutrality by the way.

e: nm. You mean a toll on public roads when travelling interstate because the driver is using the infrastructure of another state. I've been in the sun too long today sorry.

See the post above yours. The infrastructure was paid for with public funds but someone sets up a toll booth so you pay extra to use it. The new bridge in Louisville KY I use on occasion for example.

It irks me because this is a clear handout to a few corporations at the expense of millions of people, yet so many are blinded by right wing propaganda that they don’t see it that way.

People will now either be bombarded with injected advertising, have speeds capped to certain sites, or charged extra to access things that used to be treated equally. AT&T has already shown bias towards directv now by having it not count towards your data cap. They can go a step further now and slow down netflix, hulu and youtube or charge extra for those sites to work at all. It will wind up being like Chinese internet, except censored by private companies with no VPN work around.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Love that color, love that car.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

slothrop posted:

Sitting in the waiting room while my girlfriend has a lumbar puncture to see if she has meningitis. Jesus gently caress I do not like knowing what's going on.

Thats scary stuff, but if it is meningitis it sounds like they are going to catch it pretty early, and that is a very good thing.

Lost my son to bacterial meningitis earlier this year. By the time we got him to an ER that suspected it his brain was too swollen to do a puncture and figure out what was causing it.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Its ok and thank you. I posted about it earlier this year, and legally, I can’t go into details yet. His birthday and thanksgiving were quite rough.

My wife and I decided to try again, and shes 13 weeks today, a healthy boy so far. So its not all doom and gloom.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

slothrop posted:

I'm so sorry dude :(

She's doing better today but drat. It came on pretty quick and she's a doctor, who was doing doctor stuff with other doctors and it almost got missed.

Pretty much all of her family is medical so I'm the only dummy sitting here with no idea what anyone is talking about.

The hospital is about 2 hours away from home, which is good because the local hospital sucks and this one is good. It's making for a bit of a commute at the moment though.

Anyways, just brain dumping in the chat thread sorry

I am glad shes doing better. Doing better is a really good sign. Its super scary to watch so feel free to vent.

And yes, it does come on really quick.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

slothrop posted:

Still waiting on cultures. At stage it's mostly a question of viral or bacterial. She showed massive improvement yesterday, to the point where I'm at work today.

I think they caught it so early they've had trouble with cultures. Rather that than the other way around.

Good to hear.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
My wife has morning sickness and the turkey is the trigger. Still have a ton of it left, both breasts since neither of us like white meat. I am going to make some turkey fried rice tomorrow, maybe some turkey hash for breakfast.

On the plus side I got to see an ultrasound today and the little guy has a normal nuchal fold, along with a normal panorama test so he’s got a good shot at being free from trisomy disorders.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Just had the leaking gas lines replaced, no check engine light so probably not a dead O2 sensor, and I have that Right Track thing attached to my car for cheaper insurance so I can't hoon even if i had the ability to or else my discount will go down

How much does that actually save you? I don’t understand why people use those, seems like a convenient excuse for the insurance company to gouge.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

23% so far, and they can't up your bill based on your driving habits so we shall see. My only annoyance with it is that if it senses a change in speed +/- 8mph in 3 seconds or less, it dings you and reduces your discount by 5%. Sometimes merging onto the highway requires you go from 20mph to 55mph real quick depending on how long the onramp is. Braking hard i dont really have an excuse for :shrug:

That’s actually a decent discount. It would probably work out well for my prius, wouldn’t work at all on my motorcycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I think I get worse than TT, 11.8mpg in my Tundra, but to be fair its running $1.70/gallon E85. Regular is about $2.40 and it gets 14.5-15. Have to fill it twice a week.

• Locked thread