Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Healthcare costs and the lack of care when it comes to the environment plays a significant role in my wife and I not having children of our own here in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

IOwnCalculus posted:

At that price you really shouldn't be buying from a dealer.

Yeah agreed. Dealers mark up, that's how they make money. At so low of a price the quality or the car vs the price you pay at a dealership is all out of whack. You'd be way better off buying from a private party via Craigslist or eBay or Auto trader.
I get why you'd go to a dealership though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Cage posted:

I drive a 2004 with 25k miles. :D

My wife drives a 91 with 36k miles :smug:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Decided to sell our SC 300, posted it in the marketplace thread here, goons get first crack before we offer it up anywhere else.
Even though it has a 5 speed manual there is something about it that just doesn't click with my wife and I, she'd rather drive her 91 Tracker and I'd rather drive my 90 Acty. Not-power-assisted-steering, early 90s Japanese econoboxes :v: We are going to see what it's like using the 1990 Toyota Crown ~Royal Saloon~ Wagon we have on the way though, no pretensions of performance there just big smooth well-built comfort in a fat wagon form.

Sorry Applebees Appetizer, we didn't fall into the Lexus dream :(

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Seems like the shuttle was stationary and a truck hit it. Score one for driverless cars :smuggo:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

angryrobots posted:

I came across this drat van today and I don't know, I kinda like it. '64 G10, straight 6 and 3 on the tree.

It's tagged and cranked right up. I might buy it, depending on what the old guy wants for it.
:krad:

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Everyone needs that weird van period in their lives. The flatter the nose the better.

Think I'm about to end mine, I took delivery of a Daihatsu Rugger today and it's so awesome (I posted it in our Japanese Import thread) that I'm probably going to keep it and sell my 90 Acty. I also got an 83 Acty Street today as well but the Rugger, man, little turbo diesel clattery SUV thing really gets my goat. I'm actually out of space to store cars and I'm only one person and really can't justify keeping cars around just because I think they are cool, going to become some hosed up hoarder.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Dannywilson posted:

I had my Justy poo poo the bed the same way as a year ago tonight, but on the other side. The half shafts have splines which run through the brake rotors and mate with wheel hubs that have internal splines. The wheel hubs are the weaker link in this equation, and strip out rather than both of them going. Last time it was an undiagnosable noise that intensified over a couple of weeks before failure; this time it was 2 loud noises in a hundred feet while crossing a 1/2 mile long bridge with no shoulders. The front wheels are a completely open diff sitch, where if one wheel is free spinning the other just goes "not my problem sorry", but the 4wd rear wheels are a locking diff. Immediately clicked on 4WD and made it across the bridge and limped home, but goddamnit was not wanting to do this job again. The parts aren't that expensive, but they are semi-unobtanium that I'll have to order from dealers... for a second time.

You ever look into ordering the parts directly from Japan at all? I know you say they aren't expensive but I have to imagine that you could track down the part number and order it direct. Might even be a lot cheaper, maybe.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rhyno posted:

You mean like, overnight them?

No I mean a thing I've found is that 'hard' to get parts for stuff that was sold here can be had from Japan directly, if it's usually hard to find.
My wife's Tracker had broken plastic air vents, so I ordered Suzuki Escudo ones from Japan along with some stuff I was ordering for my Acty. I don't know the price difference vs. going to a dealership for something like a Justy, it's why I was asking.

Also did you know that you can still get everything from Honda for an 83 Street L? Stuff like a left-side window? Things like tiny little silver clips that hold on rain trim guards?

EDIT
Goddamn are new OEM wheel covers pricey though, $57 for just one of them :negative:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 13, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

ilkhan posted:

I got it, Rhyno. It was funny.

I didn't get it and instead of laughing it off I'm going to get hella mad and accuse everyone of being huge mean jerks :mad:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Guys guys I was just joking about calling everyone jerks :ohdear:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

puberty worked me over posted:

Is there a decent single DIN head unit with USB or Micro SD/SD input that has zero glossy plastic (minus the LCD display) on it? I've been searching for years and yet to find one. Been a bit of a personal mission and I keep getting frustrated at the lack of stuff out there.

Reasons the usual suspects don't work:
Bluetooth pairing is a bear and doesn't allow me to browse through tracks quickly.
Android/apple play are terrible because it's a touch screen.
Aux jack is terrible because it's a touch screen I have to pick up or I have to look down to pick up the MP3 player and change tracks. It's just plain awkward. Controls for the stereo should be on the stereo.
CDs are track because who the hell uses optical media after 2010?

I've found sticking flash storage into the a car's stereo to be by far the best way to easily listen to music in a vehicle. Especially if I can skip through directories using the stereo buttons.

The Delphi DEA355 is probably the closest to what I'm looking for but they're unobtanium (or $500+) and wiring harnesses are even harder to come by. These Delphi units were used generally on commercial trucks.

The only one I've ever found is this one

We put it in our Tracker it is works quite well. You can also turn it totally off which is nice. I too was looking for a head-unit that didn't look like a 90s rave and really only came up with this one, also wasn't looking for a CD player. Cheap too.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I'd love to get Android Audio but all my cars, save for the Crown Wagon I have on the way, simply don't have the space for a double-din unit. The Rugger's stereo is so far down that if I attempted to put a touchscreen in its place I'd probably smack it with my hand every time I'd go to shift.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

This poo poo takes so long but boy what a cool-rear end insurance card. Now I can plate the things.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

spog posted:

Hopefully the misspelt manufacturer won't get your car impounded by a cop in a bad mood.

The import paperwork said 'Faihatsu Rugger' and if that's good enough for the Department of Homeland Security then it should be good enough for a cop :colbert:
Although when I get back from the DMV I will be calling my agent up to fix it. I still trip up on Daihatsu spelling.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

spog posted:

Those are the people who impounded a bunch of Land Rovers because they didn't know the difference between a 1983 and a 2000 car and didn't understand that you need look at all the digits in a VIN, not just the last 12?

lol 'people'

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Seminal Flu posted:

My Corolla was a little bit newer.

Look at you and your 'options'

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I bought my house over ten years ago when rent was half of what it is now and my mortgage is the same. Looking back now I'm just really glad I did because having to rent or buy a house now would loving suck.....I'm not suggesting sigtrap go buy a house, it just made me feel warm and fuzzy that my mortgage is almost half of what my house would probably rent for these days.

:hellyeah:

We bought our house at the bottom of the market 5~ years or so ago and even if we did nothing at all to our house it doubled in value. Everything we've done to it on top has pushed us way ahead of what we've spent. We don't plan on moving any time soon but it's nice to know.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

CommieGIR posted:

It's hard to tell 'Low effort trolling' from 'legitimately just a ignorant rear end in a top hat'

Yeah the dude has been consistent for actual years. To somehow go 'lol epic trolls' for that long a time doesn't really say much. Either he was honestly that bad or pretended to be that bad for that long. Either way isn't really better than the other.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I just saw a movie trailer with Dwayne Johnson in it called Rampage, based on the old video game.....This has to be a joke right?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Boy it sure isn't cheap to get suspension parts for a vehicle that was never sold in the USA who would have known???

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I've been super lucky with phones and have no horror stories to share.

jamal posted:

What car?

Daihatsu Rugger, we got the Rocky here in the US but the Rugger (Fourtrak in the UK and Australia I think?) Is the long wheelbase version. I got the thing cheap for as cool and as capable as it is so paying $$ shipping cost to ship things from Euroland to the US is worth it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Anyone ever sell anything on Facebook marketplace?
What is it that makes people respond to something you've posted for sale that flatly says "I am interested in this item"? It feels like bots but it happens often enough that it sorta feels like an app or something that auto-conversates with you when someone hits a button in an app somewhere.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Rhyno posted:

Family pride is important to a lot of people. Continuing the family name and such.

My wife and I don't share a last name, it's getting much more common because it's silly anyway. Why is it the man gets to keep the name but women don't? Tradition for traditions sake is goody as all heck.

Also when we found out you have to do it outside of marriage, why isn't it a part of getting married lmao

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

QuarkMartial posted:

Okay, we can argue about pies, but can we agree that Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is the Thanksgiving movie?

Yeah it's pretty excellent. John Candy owns.

I just dropped over $1200 bucks on parts for my Rugger. Full set of new leaf springs, absorbers, full set of poly bushings and a set of front rotors/discs. The price is so high because about half of that is transport costs because lol driving a thing that was never sold in the USA lol. I spoke about it in the import thread but http://www.japanese4x4spares.co.uk is the only shop in the U.K that would sell to me in the USA. I contacted Milner and they were helpful but ??? couldn't ship to the USA. K.S. International just flat out told me that "it wouldn't be worth it" for me to buy parts from them because shipping would be too much. Shows how much they know because I'm eating the transport costs with Japanese 4x4 Spares now aren't I? I don't have a choice and have to source my parts somewhere, OEM parts are stratospherically expensive and outside of Fourtraks in the U.K. I'd have to source parts from Indonesia for their version. Not that i'm against Indonesia but they are further away and the language barrier.

Point is Daihatsu Ruggers/Fourtraks are cool as gently caress and I very much appreciate the patience that Rob at Japanese 4x4 showed me. A+++ will buy again.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

DICK DICER posted:

So, how about them politics

Potlucks are ok but I've been out of the midwest so long that the food is weird now, so much so that I don't think I could eat most stuff I might have been OK with 15 years ago.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Turns out that a flat-nosed brick with a turbo diesel engine gets pretty good gas mileage. Averaged 25 mpg last tank in my Rugger. :toot:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

guy who emailed me about my craigslist posting for my 1990 Honda Acty posted:

I've seen that before and I've always wondered who the dummy was driving the clown van. Something i expect to see at the circus where 30 clowns climb out of. LoL seriously dude why the silly van I know its to be recognized by somewhat of an identity but you really want to be identified as the guy with the silly clown van? it is in mint condition I'll give you that. for sure not many in the US. I'd guess because they look stupid and not many would go through the hassle of importing it

:confused:

I sent back a reply:

me posted:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That dude probably drives a Dodge Ram and has no fun in his life.

I mean, yeah of course but do they really have to so completely and with such absolution fulfill the stereotype so perfectly? I'm giggling and how insecure that dude must be.

• Locked thread