Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The CDOs were connected to the mortgages in that all the poo poo, high risk mortgage debt was packaged up with better stuff and the ratings agencies then conspired to rate it highly even though it was a time bomb. Institutions invested in CDOs which helped make the GFC that much worse when all the mortgages defaulted. Retirement funds and public sectors were left with worthless debt. The existence of CDOs kind of created the demand which helped all the terrible loans get made.

That was my understanding anyway

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That big data SSM study is a bit of a worry, I feel like if Australia votes no it will do one of those deeply disturbing people-are-not-like-I-thought-they-were things to my brain. Like when Trump won.
I guess I live in a bubble and have too much faith in the people of this country.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Around the time the NBN (HFC) came to my street, my adsl connection turned really shithouse.
Obviously they're completely separate cables but in the depths of my frustration I want to believe it's a conspiracy to get me to switch over... for some reason :shrug:
It's a rental and I'll be moving out next year so I CBF getting nbn right now

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty weird listening to Waleed on the minefield on RN and then seeing him on The Project
He may not have said that The Project is "beneath him" but it totally is.

That said good for him for getting paid by ch10 and still doing some good media on the side

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Good article, scary to see the fuckedness systematically enumerated like that.
I kind of feel better about not having bought a house and had kids here

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Les Affaires posted:

That doomsaying article misses a few key points so I’m not terribly worried about it.

What are the points? I don't know much about national economic matters

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Large chunks of the population will side with whatever is the status quo. Once gay marriage is law the polls will swing hard in favour over time.

This, I heard stories of people voting no just out of some weird kind of apolitical conservatism where they don't want to change anything ever. It's almost that they are scared and/or lazy rather than ignorant or malicious.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe the more progressive, inclusive states generate the motivation for backlash from the small number of fascist/bigot/whatevers

In Queensland they figure what's the point?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

noyes posted:

a few years ago i moved from sydney to a small country town and got a job as marketing manager at a real estate agency, and the director would just straight-up say to me "you understand we're just trying to make a profit here, you know how important that is, it's your culture", but not in a way that involved any negative feeling toward me whatsoever like they genuinely thought of me as this magical wealth elf that frolics through life bathed in a never-ending rain of golden coins from heaven. then they wouldn't let me actually do anything so i think they just thought having a jew sitting in their office would naturally bring fortune, like a lucky cat statuette

holy poo poo, I can't imagine saying something like that to anyone, negative feeling or not

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm a Melbourne wanker and I like ACDC.
I bought an album or two when I was 16, but I grew up listening to metal so my musical taste is crippled in some way

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Musk Duck is the chillest Australian bird

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh god, not the ibis... :|

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cohsae posted:

So in an exercise in masochism I want to know all about Sir Joh (I don't know much being a non-QLDer and not having much knowledge of Aus political history)
What is the best poo poo to read/watch to get the full history? I have Matthew Condon's books on my kindle but from what I understand that focuses more on the corrupt police with Sir Joh in the background. I've watched The Moonlight State, but again that was focused on police corruption than on things like the Bjelkemander etc.

The third Condon book (All Fall Down?) has a fair bit about Joh

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I assume they're publicising the camouflage angle to make those criminal youths feel like there's a cop with an M16 in every bush when really there's like 5 guys wandering around being visible

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ewe2 posted:

Even the Dollop are dead bored of doing their ads.

Roman Mars on 99% Invisible is waaaay too earnest when talking about Article Furniture, Squarespace, Casper etc. Sponsors must love him.

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Nov 28, 2017

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hobo Erotica posted:

Bit late to podcast chat, but what do you guys actually listen to?

As well as others mentioned, The Allusionist, RadioLab, Love and Radio are also good not-so-serious ones

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 29, 2017

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Coldest first half of November in 20 years followed by highest number of 30+ degree days in November.
Now possible flash floods
Good old Melbourne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Just ride it out in your jocks you soft wanker.

I live in a fibro granny flat with no aircon so I've developed a lack empathy for people complaining about the heat.
My strategy this year is to run in the middle of the day to develop more tolerance for the heat, I'm a prodigious sweater

• Locked thread