Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
fav human ancestor/hominin relative
This poll is closed.
Homo neanderthalensis 18 9.18%
Homo erectus 22 11.22%
Homo habilis 8 4.08%
Australopithecus afarensis 12 6.12%
Sahelanthropus tchadensis 11 5.61%
Ardipithecus ramidus 7 3.57%
Australopithecus bahrelghazali 7 3.57%
Homo floresiensis 12 6.12%
Homo naledi 10 5.10%
Kenyanthropus platyops 7 3.57%
ur mom op 59 30.10%
op 23 11.73%
Total: 106 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Found out I'm an X-man. As in, I'm a man with 2 X chromosomes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

walgreenslatino posted:

I really want to find out exactly how white I am but I don't want San Franciscan hellworld tech barons harvesting my genetic data and then denying my children healthcare unto the twelfth generation

lmao pretty much

I do not care and I don't want to give my DNA to anyone.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Recently did this actually and turns out I'm 50% likely to get Alzheimer's

nice brick

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

WatermelonGun posted:

I did it and found out I’m jeb bush

how can you be more than 100% white?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Pick posted:

lmao pretty much

I do not care and I don't want to give my DNA to anyone.

lol. if it ever comes to that they'll compel you by law to provide your dna or else be denied insurance coverage. no escape. don't worry about it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

uber_stoat posted:

lol. if it ever comes to that they'll compel you by law to provide your dna or else be denied insurance coverage. no escape. don't worry about it.

I associated these tests with the 40-some year old guy who was aggressively hitting on me, following me out into the parking lot with zero personal space just short of grabbing me going "hey! hey beautiful! hey! you're tall! hey, what kind of white are you??"

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

uber_stoat posted:

Right? I mean people act like the ISP's they use aren't harvesting every second of their internet lives and selling that data to who the gently caress ever. At least with this the choice was yours to give it away.

Cmon technophobes the future is now

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

Pick posted:

I associated these tests with the 40-some year old guy who was aggressively hitting on me, following me out into the parking lot with zero personal space just short of grabbing me going "hey! hey beautiful! hey! you're tall! hey, what kind of white are you??"

Maybe you shouldn't be such a prude and give him a chance

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I'm not quite sure I see the relation between creepy old men hitting on you and 23andme

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
23 results are mostly nonsense for genealogy purposes. You get half your genes from each parent. If your mom was half Russian, you can get as much as 50% russian in your results and as little as 0% depending on which genes you happened to get from her (effectively erasing one of your grandparents and doubling the other). While they use multiple markers to reduce this error rate, there aren’t that many markers. Then there is accumulated error across multiple generations. So while it does tell you what your composition is, it doesn’t tell you much about who your great great grandma hosed.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
lol at the perfectly diverse family on their homepage. also that turkey looks dry as gently caress

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tolkien minority posted:

I'm not quite sure I see the relation between creepy old men hitting on you and 23andme

it was the "what kind of white are you"

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

he intends to fashion lampshades from your skin but wants to make sure your skintone won't clash with his existing soft furnishings.
personally (as a fan of interior decorating) I wish him good luck and godspeed in all his endeavors.

Duke Silver
Nov 6, 2011

Saxiest Man Alive
I took one of these, and my friends just used it as an excuse to start saying really Anti-Semitic jokes around me :shrug:

Go with the "official" 23andMe one though, I don't know why the off brand version I got needed a Gill of blood...

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

I am extremely Northern European (Scotch Irish trash people to hear my dad tell it) with their speculative analysis showing <1% of west African. I assume that it was a loving consensual relationship.

I have more Neanderthal than like 80% of the people tested. lovely rear end cave man.

Scotch Irish caveman, checks out.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

The Management posted:

23 results are mostly nonsense for genealogy purposes. You get half your genes from each parent. If your mom was half Russian, you can get as much as 50% russian in your results and as little as 0% depending on which genes you happened to get from her (effectively erasing one of your grandparents and doubling the other). While they use multiple markers to reduce this error rate, there aren’t that many markers. Then there is accumulated error across multiple generations. So while it does tell you what your composition is, it doesn’t tell you much about who your great great grandma hosed.

The stuff in the middle of your statement is correct; your ethnicity percentages will vary a lot based on who inherited what bits. If you have a 100% Japanese grandmother, and your other 3 grandparents are white, you could end up with your ethnicity showing 25% Japanese while your sibling could show only 12% Japanese. And then another sibling might show 34% Japanese. The more generations between you and an ancestor, the more the numbers can skew.

However, your statements that it's not good for "genealogy purposes" or that it can't tell you who your great great grandma hosed are totally wrong. If all you look at is the ethnicity percentage, then that's not going to get you much. It's actually the best tool out there for genealogy purposes. All of these DNA testing services compare your DNA against the DNA of other people who have tested there. Then they show you a list of the people your DNA matches, and how much DNA you share with each person. Because the amount of DNA you inherit from each ancestor is reliable up to 4 generations back (and still somewhat reliable for a couple generations beyond that), you can compare family trees and figure out how you're related to each person. Close DNA matches to people whose family trees have nothing in common with yours can alert you to the fact that somebody relatively recently is either secretly adopted or has a different father than they think they do.

I solved a case just last night where a girl took the Ancestry test for genealogical purposes, and showed up as a roughly 2nd cousin to a family member of mine (on the side that was not related to me). She had messaged me asking if I knew how my family member could be related to her, because she saw nothing in his family tree that was similar to hers. After a few hours of work, it was clear to me that her paternal grandfather was not her bio grandfather, and that her actual bio grandfather was the grandfather of my family member, which makes her a half 1st cousin once removed to him. All I had was her DNA, not the DNA of her parents or grandparents, and it was glaringly obvious. It is a lot of work to do all this though, and becomes harder and harder the farther back in generations you go, since you inherit less DNA from each of those ancestors. But it's literally the only way to solve those questions, because there isn't a paper trail that you can resort to.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Take your genome and put it on Promethease if you want a ton of fuzzy science health stuff to worry about.

Also if you have the warrior gene I'll give you clubhouse access.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My mom who does all the family geneology stuff got her dad done and he was livid that anyone would accuse him of being 3% jewish

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Epic Tane posted:

Yeah, this. just lmao if you think the feds aren't taking samples to have your dna on file for possible crimes later

They don't need to, they can just get it with a subpoena whenever they need it

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Pick posted:

How about don't be such a racist and try dating a non-white man for once

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Pick posted:

You should have been like "Viking" and stabbed him with your longsword

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

SniperWoreConverse posted:

You should have been like "Viking" and stabbed him with your longsword

she should have been like "ape" and showed him her feet.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

walgreenslatino posted:

What's your problem

the overwhelming number of posters who, operating on zero information with respect to what they're talking about, for some reason feel that they're entitled to be condescending pricks to strangers over what ultimately boils down to a thought that they had and mistook for reality

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Cubone posted:

the overwhelming number of posters who, operating on zero information with respect to what they're talking about, for some reason feel that they're entitled to be condescending pricks to strangers over what ultimately boils down to a thought that they had and mistook for reality

'trust me guys im the only person here educated enough to know this data CAN NOT AND WILL NOT BE sold stolen or hacked, this company is immune and not part of the world that every other business and government on earth is victim to and part of'

your original point was that this test doesn't match the way the government stores STRs, and i found that very interesting. if you would educate us more on these two methods i would sincerely appreciate it, but just posting 'stfu' every time someone comes to a very obvious and fair conclusion doesn't help anyone

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

Cubone posted:

Hahaha I thought I was in a goon relationships thread and I was agreeing with you.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

They do that too. For 100 bucks they track your lineage. For 100 more they give you the medical rundown. You can opt out of hearing stuff like “early onset dementia” or other live shattering things which is kinda a relief

Meh, at worst you have a 50% increased risk of alzey. Nothing worth killing yourself over

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

uber_stoat posted:

to the people who think something sinister will be done with their data, what do you expect to happen? are they going to clone an identical twin of you to assassinate and replace you?

Share the data that is shittily anonymized with insurance companies so they can charge us more and find more reasons to deny a claim. "Breast cancer claim denied because you tested positive for BRCA1, BRCA2 and have a defective p53."

E: More interesting stuff is lineage markers, mtDNA and y chromosome haplotypes, so you can track where your parents moved about.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 5, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pick posted:

What kind of white are you? My 23AndMe said im 47% fat retard which is rude right?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

What kind of white are you? My 23AndMe said im 47% italian which is rude right?

Fixed

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

extra stout posted:

'trust me guys im the only person here educated enough to know this data CAN NOT AND WILL NOT BE sold stolen or hacked, this company is immune and not part of the world that every other business and government on earth is victim to and part of'

your original point was that this test doesn't match the way the government stores STRs, and i found that very interesting. if you would educate us more on these two methods i would sincerely appreciate it, but just posting 'stfu' every time someone comes to a very obvious and fair conclusion doesn't help anyone
you said that this company logs their customers DNA with the federal government. all I asked was why they would do that, when the federal DNA database uses a completely different method of measuring and cataloging genetic information
if you don't know, how does it then become my job to explain it to you? I wasn't the one making an assertion either way. if you wanted an informative address of your concerns, maybe you could have framed them as concerns instead of fact?

if somebody's recontextualizing their ignorance as some special knowledge or insight, then it's bullshit, and stfu is a completely legitimate response to bullshit. I don't understand how I'm the jerk for wanting people to either know what they're talking about, or be upfront about not knowing

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Cubone posted:

you said that this company logs their customers DNA with the federal government. all I asked was why they would do that, when the federal DNA database uses a completely different method of measuring and cataloging genetic information
if you don't know, how does it then become my job to explain it to you? I wasn't the one making an assertion either way. if you wanted an informative address of your concerns, maybe you could have framed them as concerns instead of fact?

if somebody's recontextualizing their ignorance as some special knowledge or insight, then it's bullshit, and stfu is a completely legitimate response to bullshit. I don't understand how I'm the jerk for wanting people to either know what they're talking about, or be upfront about not knowing

Do explain how federal DNA databases work :allears:.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I never did the DNA thing but I voted for Ardi on that poll

Just look at her :3:

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Bobcats posted:

Also if you have the warrior gene I'll give you clubhouse access.

I have this. I assume it means I'm a sociopath.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Cubone posted:

all those words and you don't even attempt to deny that every government and business in the world gets hacked, robbed, or gladly just sells data

nor do you tell us anything about your cool secret insight to DNA and how it's catalogued by companies or governments. how many shares do you own from 23andme, like half? well until you explain it i'm not going to pay the fee or mail any of my essence, besides its about half bone broth at this point and i doubt your tests would even understand my bloodline

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

extra stout posted:

all those words and you don't even attempt to deny that every government and business in the world gets hacked, robbed, or gladly just sells data

nor do you tell us anything about your cool secret insight to DNA and how it's catalogued by companies or governments. how many shares do you own from 23andme, like half? well until you explain it i'm not going to pay the fee or mail any of my essence, besides its about half bone broth at this point and i doubt your tests would even understand my bloodline

Are you going :tinfoil: here or do you actually want to know?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The government got my DNA the old fashioned way: multiple felony convictions in several different states.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

Do explain how federal DNA databases work :allears:.
I literally just said I wasn't making an assertion either way
I literally just spoke against people talking about poo poo they don't understand

if you want my incomplete layperson's understanding, I can tell you that sections of a human genome are repeated, and the number of repeats varies enough between individuals that measuring them can match a DNA sample to an individual. I can tell you the federal government maintains a database of these counts, called CODIS, collected by state and federal law enforcement agencies (and not centrally tied to personally identifying information because that is illegal), that they can use to match DNA samples to known criminals

I can tell you that single nucleotide polymorphism is based on one discrete part of the human genome, a "single nucleotide", which varies between individuals and populations and that this variance is used to identify whether a given variant is tied to a genetic disease or trait. and I can tell you that 23andme uses this information, and not copy-number variation, to get its results

this is why I asked the completely reasonable question of why the government would be collecting single nucleotide polymorphisms for their database of short tandem repeats

extra stout posted:

it is really loving cute that the only way you can frame me wanting you to know what you're talking about is that I'm part of a conspiracy

I didn't even say your concerns are not legitimate, I JUST want you to frame them as concerns instead of fact, and you can't even do that. instead you're challenging me to DISPROVE what, again, is just a thought that you had.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Kenzie posted:

I never did the DNA thing but I voted for Ardi on that poll

Just look at her :3:

This legit makes me miss my mom. She had Hirsutism. My dad used to call her his little wolf mama. One of my most vivid childhood memories is of my mother's hairiness. I was maybe seven or eight years old at the time, and my mom was weaning me off of breast feeding. My mom was a straight four on the Ferriman–Gallwey scale when she wasn't depilating, and she'd gotten pretty spotty about it since I wasn't suckling so often. I remember grabbing handfuls of her chest hair to keep myself in place, and no matter what I did, I kept getting hair in my mouth. I'm pretty sure that's why I feel compelled to nuzzle and chew on the woman's hair whenever I'm in a relationship. It's caused a few fights, because I just can't get into sex without a mouthful of my partner's hair.

I miss you, mom :love:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Cubone posted:

I literally just said I wasn't making an assertion either way
I literally just spoke against people talking about poo poo they don't understand

if you want my incomplete layperson's understanding, I can tell you that sections of a human genome are repeated, and the number of repeats varies enough between individuals that measuring them can match a DNA sample to an individual. I can tell you the federal government maintains a database of these counts, called CODIS, collected by state and federal law enforcement agencies (and not centrally tied to personally identifying information because that is illegal), that they can use to match DNA samples to known criminals

I can tell you that single nucleotide polymorphism is based on one discrete part of the human genome, a "single nucleotide", which varies between individuals and populations and that this variance is used to identify whether a given variant is tied to a genetic disease or trait. and I can tell you that 23andme uses this information, and not copy-number variation, to get its results

this is why I asked the completely reasonable question of why the government would be collecting single nucleotide polymorphisms for their database of short tandem repeats

it is really loving cute that the only way you can frame me wanting you to know what you're talking about is that I'm part of a conspiracy

I didn't even say your concerns are not legitimate, I JUST want you to frame them as concerns instead of fact, and you can't even do that. instead you're challenging me to DISPROVE what, again, is just a thought that you had.

You didn't mention SNPs or anything dude you said DNA in general so I take it this is moving the goal posts since you got called out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

You didn't mention SNPs or anything dude you said DNA in general so I take it this is moving the goal posts since you got called out.
:bang:

Cubone posted:

why would the federal government want single nucleotide polymorphisms in their database of short tandem repeats

• Locked thread