Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I really don't understand posts like this. The post you quoted is opinionated but almost everything in it is a statement of fact or at least an attempt to grapple with objective reality. What point in the post do you actually disagree with? Do you think the attacks aren't harming people? Or that the attacks aren't an attempt to gain legitimacy by violence? I doubt anyone posting in this thread is unwilling to criticize George Washington; but by the same token, the Houthis should not be immune to criticism for these actions even if you think they're on the right side of history.

You approve of American air strikes in Yemen. Stop talking about how terrible you think violence is but only when brown people do it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Esran posted:

It's this bit there's disagreement over.

Grip it obviously does not think the Houthis are on the right side of history. They're not saying "The Houthis are trying to stop the genocide, which is laudable, but they could do better in these ways". They're much closer to saying "The Houthis are uselessly attacking shipping, it won't work, and it hurts innocent people and the environment, in fact it's counter productive to stopping the genocide, the Houthis are bad and should stop what they're doing".

You can see how those aren't remotely the same standpoint, which should help you understand posts like that.

They're actually both very similar standpoints. The primary difference is that one absolves the Houthi for their purported efforts towards a legitimate goal, and the other holds them responsible for their actual conduct and the consequences of those actions.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Grip it and rip it posted:

They're actually both very similar standpoints. The primary difference is that one absolves the Houthi for their purported efforts towards a legitimate goal, and the other holds them responsible for their actual conduct and the consequences of those actions.

If we are discussing "actual conduct" are we allowed to look at the actions of other belligerents such as the USA and UK? Should their actions of killing people matter more or less than attacks that have not killed people?

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

They are not similar standpoints.

One considers what the Houthis are doing to be justified in the name of stopping a genocide. The blockade is viewed as one step in the right direction (harming the economy of Israel), with many more steps necessary to actually stop the genocide. The attempt to stop or slow the genocide is considered more important than the disruptions to trade that may affect countries that aren't Israel or its backers. In this view, the Houthis are "on the right side of history".

The other condemns the Houthis for disrupting trade, and considers the effects of this action on states that aren't Israel to be unacceptable. The blockade is viewed as counterproductive. The disruption to trade is considered more important than the attempt to stop or slow the genocide. The Houthis are not "on the right side of history".

When you say "holds them responsible for the consequences of their actions" what you actually seem to mean is "I consider those consequences to not be worth attempting to stop or slow the genocide, because it won't work".

Which is fine, but that's not "a similar standpoint".

Josef bugman posted:

If we are discussing "actual conduct" are we allowed to look at the actions of other belligerents such as the USA and UK?

We are not. Every action must be viewed in isolation, otherwise you're doing a "whataboutism".

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Josef bugman posted:

If we are discussing "actual conduct" are we allowed to look at the actions of other belligerents such as the USA and UK? Should their actions of killing people matter more or less than attacks that have not killed people?

Ive never defended the conduct of the USA or UK or Israel in this conflict. Their behavior is heinous and absolutely worthy of condemnation.

But that old saying about two wrongs not making a right still holds true. Just because other people are doing worse things than you doesn't make your conduct any less bad.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

But that old saying about two wrongs not making a right still holds true. Just because other people are doing worse things than you doesn't make your conduct any less bad.

If you believe that there is no efficacy in the actions of the belligerents from Yemen then that is fine, but you don't actually state that, you sate that your beliefs are "holding them responsible". But unless we consider the wider context of things it appears as if that responsibility is reserved for only some actors in this situation.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Josef bugman posted:

If you believe that there is no efficacy in the actions of the belligerents from Yemen then that is fine, but you don't actually state that, you sate that your beliefs are "holding them responsible". But unless we consider the wider context of things it appears as if that responsibility is reserved for only some actors in this situation.

They're apparently been effective at increasing suffering in Sudan.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2024/feb/16/houthi-attacks-in-red-sea-having-a-catastrophic-effect-on-aid-to-sudan

I do hold them directly responsible for this as the Sudanese people are in no way responsible for or assisting in the ongoing events in Gaza.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
I like how you completely missed the point of that post, which was

quote:

it appears as if that responsibility is reserved for only some actors in this situation

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Esran posted:

I like how you completely missed the point of that post, which was

I prefer not to engage in debating the merits of whataboutism.

Can we maybe agree that the impact of the Houthi attacks on food and medicine getting to Sudan really needs to stop?

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Rust Martialis posted:

I prefer not to engage in debating the merits of whataboutism.

Can we maybe agree that the impact of the Houthi attacks on food and medicine getting to Sudan really needs to stop?

Of course you do.

Sure, I would like the attacks to end. Since the Houthis have said they're going to continue the attacks until the genocide ends, and the Americans have shown their impotence at discouraging AA with military force, it seems to me that forcing an end to the genocide is the best option to stop these attacks, which is something the US (and maybe the EU) could absolutely do.

A different option if the western powers would like to keep the genocide going is to approach AA diplomatically, and see if they can make a deal on getting the specific ships destined for Sudan safe passage.

Esran fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 5, 2024

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Esran posted:

A different option if the western powers would like to keep the genocide going is to approach AA diplomatically, and see if they can make a deal on getting the specific ships destined for Sudan safe passage.

Or maybe the Houthi could just announce safe passage to Sudanese aid traffic themselves since it's clearly the moral thing to do.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Rust Martialis posted:

Or maybe the Houthi could just announce safe passage to Sudanese aid traffic themselves since it's clearly the moral thing to do.

Collateral damage is the price of doing business so can be discounted up to a certain point. This is not just my opinion but the international norm.

E) and I like how while those posters were discussing the efficacy of Yemen's actions in trying to reduce the amount of killing of Palestinians you leap in and go "whataboutSudan?", then the very next post, "I don't like whataboutism". I bet you reported him too for it haha.

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 6, 2024

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Collateral damage is the price of doing business so can be discounted up to a certain point. This is not just my opinion but the international norm.

Well yeah but it's a violation of international law to deliberately impede humanitarian aid, either to Gaza or to Sudan. You choice of words makes it seem you're ok with this, but I assume I'm mis-understanding you.

https://ihl-databases.icrc.org/en/customary-ihl/v1/rule55

I would think the Houthi should offer safe passage to Sudanese-bound aid ships sua sponte and keep the blockade on Israeli shipments would be a reasonable next step for them to take as they are presumably aware of the issues in the region. It keeps pressure on Israel while not making the Houthi complicit in starvation of Sudanese people.

E) I point out I've been mentioning Sudan since I first saw it reported in the press in mid-February so I've hardly "jumped in" as you characterized it.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 6, 2024

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Yeah, it would be a good look if Yemen could carve out as best it can the ships delivering aid to Sudan. It would probably need to do that in conjunction with the third party such as China. Saying that, I think there is many fingers in pies in Sudan as well so not sure if China would be on board with that.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I'm sorry what? Since when can collateral damage be "discounted" as part of some kind of norm? There are always people who are rightfully upset about any kind of collateral damage that results from primary objectives. The only people who discount it are governments and callous dipwads.

Edit: Here are some recent developments

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68490695

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 6, 2024

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
First possible casualties for the blockade; True Confidence was struck after a failure to respond to warnings from Yemen. Two sailors allegedly killed, another two wounded.

The Houthis say America should compensate their families, but if America does not they will do so themselves.

https://x.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1765440149712720370?s=20

E: Interesting facet; the ship is Barbados flagged, Liberian registered, Greek manned, and up until literally 8 days ago was owned by Oaktree, a US firm.
https://www.ft.com/content/7968438c-ec7c-424d-aaed-42d99e2a51a7

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 6, 2024

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
in news that may be meaningful at some point in the future, egypt's central bank has let the currency float and raised rates as part of an effort to secure an imf "aid" package. the egyptian pound when from it's government peg at 30 egp:1 usd to 55 egp :1 usd in about 24 hours. typically government pegs don't keep the people from feeling the effects of inflation, but it does provide some protection. i wonder if decreased inflows of foreign reserves from suez due to the houthi blockade played a role in the decision

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/egypt-raises-interest-rates-by-600-bps-pound-tumbles-2024-03-06/

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

in news that may be meaningful at some point in the future, egypt's central bank has let the currency float and raised rates as part of an effort to secure an imf "aid" package. the egyptian pound when from it's government peg at 30 egp:1 usd to 55 egp :1 usd in about 24 hours. typically government pegs don't keep the people from feeling the effects of inflation, but it does provide some protection. i wonder if decreased inflows of foreign reserves from suez due to the houthi blockade played a role in the decision

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/egypt-raises-interest-rates-by-600-bps-pound-tumbles-2024-03-06/

Doesn't Egypt heavily subsidize the cost of food for their citizens? I would think having those costs potentially double overnight would create some very serious issues for people.

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/egypt-allocate-41-bln-food-subsidies-202324-document-2023-06-13/

um am I reading this right? Their government was borrowing money at 18.5% interest?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
https://apnews.com/article/yemen-houthi-attacks-us-israel-palestinians-gaza-89c5440d9943216a787b39912bd969e0

First fatalities, as two crew aboard the True Confidence (unrelated to US/UK/Israel) died and more were injured.

It seems three more are missing, but not yet presumed dead.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

E:forget it

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 7, 2024

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
It also sounds like the Panama Canal is having to cut it's operating capacity by 1/3 due to an ongoing drought in the region. It does make me worried that, combined with the damaged data cables and the multiple sunk ships, the US may increase its interest and focus on Yemen.

Hopefully they get sick of creating ecological disasters and killing random passers by though.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1765440149712720370

According to a Houthis leader, the deaths were unintentional, and they are prepared to allow America to compensate the victims. And then they will consider compensating the family of the victims by the same amount that the families are compensated in Gaza. So I assume 'none'.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
so now we've moved past reposting tweets from previous pages, and are jumping to same page reposts?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

so now we've moved past reposting tweets from previous pages, and are jumping to same page reposts?

I straight up didn't see it, sorry. I just failed to reload before I posted and didn't see it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Egypt was already facing many billions in debt coming due this year (I think some to the IMF). The canal was a huge and reliable source of foreign currency so I'd bet it absolutely played a role.

It's a tough one to swallow though. Sisi has little legitimacy and this will make life more expensive for an awful lot of people. I'm sure he was trying to avoid this.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

It also sounds like the Panama Canal is having to cut it's operating capacity by 1/3 due to an ongoing drought in the region. It does make me worried that, combined with the damaged data cables and the multiple sunk ships, the US may increase its interest and focus on Yemen.

Hopefully they get sick of creating ecological disasters and killing random passers by though.

Is this last sentence about the US or Yemen?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Count Roland posted:

Egypt was already facing many billions in debt coming due this year (I think some to the IMF). The canal was a huge and reliable source of foreign currency so I'd bet it absolutely played a role.

It's a tough one to swallow though. Sisi has little legitimacy and this will make life more expensive for an awful lot of people. I'm sure he was trying to avoid this.

This was going to happen anyway - writing was on the wall for the last two years that the EGP was hosed and massively overvalued. The Houthi attacks affecting Egypt pushed up the timeline of collapse, but only by a few months. It would have happened anyway.

This loan will help the black market rate not drop to 1:100, but let’s see how long it keeps a black market from showing up again. Probably a couple years? Egypt has done this dance between floating currency vs fixed+black market several times in the last 10 years.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Saladman posted:

This was going to happen anyway - writing was on the wall for the last two years that the EGP was hosed and massively overvalued. The Houthi attacks affecting Egypt pushed up the timeline of collapse, but only by a few months. It would have happened anyway.

This loan will help the black market rate not drop to 1:100, but let’s see how long it keeps a black market from showing up again. Probably a couple years? Egypt has done this dance between floating currency vs fixed+black market several times in the last 10 years.

This is accurate but overestimates the impact of the Houthi blockade and Suez canal revenues on the issue - the flotation was a long-time coming and the official vs parallel market spread was already 30:55 to the USD before October 7.

If anything, the Houthi attacks helped crystallize the loan increase due to how dire the situation got for the currency over Q4 2023, the Gaza genocide also helped push up Sisi's importance in Western and Gulf Arab circles to keep on-side for negotiations / possibly taking on Palestinian refugees in the Sinai - it's also why suddenly UAE is paying 35 bln USD for development rights of a small parcel of land on the north coast, and why the EU and World Bank are also finalizing their own low-interest loan facilities to Egypt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I think some of you might appreciate this deep look at Neom, probably the greatest project ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak4on5uTaTg

And by 'greatest' I mean the gooniest.