Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A full article:

https://www.haaretz.com/middle-east-news/1.821369

quote:

Saudi Arabia's foreign minister accused the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah on Monday of firing a missile at the capital Riyadh on Saturday, under the orders of Iran. Foreign Minister Adel bin Ahmed told CNN Monday that Saudi Arabia considers the attack an act of war by Iran.

To really understand the Middle East – subscribe to Haaretz

"It was an Iranian missile, launched by Hezbollah, from territory occupied by the Houthis in Yemen," al-Jubeir told CNN.

A ballistic missile fired at Riyadh from Yemen was intercepted by Saudi air defense on Saturday. State-owned Al Ekhbariya TV reported that the missile was intercepted north of King Khaled International Airport. No casualties were reported.

>> Is Saudi Arabia pushing Israel into war with Hezbollah and Iran? | Opinion

Yemen's Iran-backed Houthi rebels had claimed the attack.

"We see this as an act of war," al-Jubeir said. "Iran can not lob missiles at Saudi cities and towns and expect us not to take steps." Al-Jubeir then cited article 51 of the UN Charter, which says a nation can act if an armed attack is made against it.

The Saudi minister said the missile was manufactured in Iran and smuggled in parts into Yemen, where it was assembled and launched with the help of "operatives from the Iranian Revolutionary Guards and Hezbollah."

Saudi Arabia reserves "the right to respond in the appropriate manner at the appropriate time," he said.

U.S. President Donald Trump also was quick to blame Iran on Sunday. "A shot was just taken by Iran, in my opinion, at Saudi Arabia. And our system knocked it down," Trump said, referring to the Patriot missile batteries Saudi Arabia purchased from the U.S., on Air Force One en route to Tokyo.

The head of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard denied Trump's accusation, calling it as one of the U.S. president’s “slanders."

Mohammad Ali Jafari, who is in charge of Iran's missile program, said: "Mr Trump has said many baseless things and told many lies and frequently, falsely accused Iran and this is one of those slanders," Iran's state news agency IRNA reported.

"We do not have even the possibility to transfer missiles to Yemen. The missiles belong to them and they have increased their range," Jafari added.

The Houthis said in a statement that the missile was launched in response to bombings that have killed civilians. The Houthis have fired a number of missiles across the border in recent years, but this appeared to be the deepest strike yet within Saudi territory.

With reporting by Reuters and the Associated Press
read more: https://www.haaretz.com/middle-east-news/1.821369

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Office Pig posted:

I wasn't kidding when I said it was basically the same thing. That said, it is a little clickbait-y for what's actually happening and BIG HEADLINE probably has the right of it.

Yeah I ended up finding it in the Arabic site heh

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Lol at Trump just trying to sell more weapons systems.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The real question is is what if anything KSA does in response.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Count Roland posted:

They should bomb Qatar, obviously.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Welp SA just blocked all of Yemen's ports.

A great way to start this thread off yup.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Count Roland posted:

They're going to let literally zero food and medical supplies into Yemen instead of a trickle and wait for their little war to resolve itself.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Shageletic posted:

Welp SA just blocked all of Yemen's ports.

A great way to start this thread off yup.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's going to be neither. Saudi Arabia is trying to distract everyone from its internal 'issues' right now, and Israel's being Israel and trying to make it worse because if there's anything they enjoy, it's Arabs killing other Arabs.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

El Disco posted:

They're going to let literally zero food and medical supplies into Yemen instead of a trickle and wait for their little war to resolve itself.

So more of what they've been doing for years?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Count Roland posted:

This.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Count Roland posted:

Its a step up from before

quote:

DUBAI (Reuters) - The Saudi-led military coalition fighting against the Houthi movement in Yemen said on Monday it would close all air, land and sea ports to the Arabian Peninsula country to stem the flow of arms to the Houthis from Iran.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-saudi-missiles-yemen/saudi-led-forces-close-air-sea-and-land-access-to-yemen-idUSKBN1D60I8

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Unless this Israeli paper is exagerrrating something then holy poo poo:-

https://twitter.com/natemcdermott/status/927641310634434562

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Haven't seen any other outlet reporting on it

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Al-Saqr posted:

Unless this Israeli paper is exagerrrating something then holy poo poo:-

https://twitter.com/natemcdermott/status/927641310634434562

This was already posted earlier

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
you guys are arzying

it was the foriegn minister just being saud-like

no military moves are taking place, embassies and airports are still open. It's just rhetorical.

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 6, 2017

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Here is the same thing from an actual news source:-

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-lebanon-politics-saudi/saudi-arabia-says-lebanon-has-declared-war-on-it-idUSKBN1D62NQ

What does this even mean? The war in Yemen still isn't done, unless this means like a rhetorical general statement of intent or something. I'm going to put this in the category of just all talk, what might actually happen is a big escalation in yemen, but essentially there's no way they'll actually defeat the houthis unless they invade the north with foot soldiers.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Is it possible this is a statement from the Saudis intended to intimidate the Lebanese government to do something about Hizbullah or to do whatever else it is the Saudis want, similar to what happened with Qatar?

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

quote:

"It was an Iranian missile, launched by Hezbollah, from territory occupied by the Houthis in Yemen," al-Jubeir told CNN.

Jane's thinks they're probably pre-war stock modified by the Yemenis themselves

http://www.janes.com/images/assets/330/72330/Yemeni_rebels_enhance_ballistic_missile_campaign.pdf

quote:

The Burkan-2 appears to use a new type of warhead section that is locally fabricated. Both Iran
and North Korea have displayed Scud derivatives with shuttlecock-shaped warheads, but none of
these match the Yemeni version. The range of the Burkan missiles also appears to have been
extended by a reduction in the weight of their warheads. It can be problematic to take too much
mass from the nose of a ballistic missile as this shifts the missile's centre of gravity in relation to its
centre of pressure, making it less stable in flight. This was a problem for Iraq's Al Hussein missiles,
which tended to break up on re-entry, creating multiple targets for US Patriot batteries to engage
during the 1990-91 Gulf War.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

*Update*

Wooops this might have been a mistake by reuters, they may have mixed up turki bin abdullah and turki bin faisal, very different in terms of scale. This might be dubious news.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 6, 2017

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I'd be curious to hear from anyone familiar with the region who can comment on how the Saudi war in Yemen is perceived. It comes off like a pretty embarrassing disaster in which a country with a very expensive array of military toys repeatedly fails to defeat a poor insurgency in its own backyard. Do other countries in the region actually fear the prospect of a military confrontation with the Saudis or are they more concerned about the soft power resources that the Kingdom can wield?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Helsing posted:

I'd be curious to hear from anyone familiar with the region who can comment on how the Saudi war in Yemen is perceived. It comes off like a pretty embarrassing disaster in which a country with a very expensive array of military toys repeatedly fails to defeat a poor insurgency in its own backyard. Do other countries in the region actually fear the prospect of a military confrontation with the Saudis or are they more concerned about the soft power resources that the Kingdom can wield?

I'm not in the region, but if we're being fair powerful countries with expensive militaries fail to defeat poor insurgencies all the time, though doing so right on your border does make it worse. Even then though, Russia lost to Chechnya in the first war, and the Soviet Union bordered Afghanistan. Fully defeating a sufficiently motivated enemy is just really hard when you're fighting a war of choice, because the enemy is a lot more willing to incur losses than you are. It's embarrassing, but this doesn't mean Saudi Arabia is necessarily a total paper tiger (though I wouldn't like their chances in a real regional war either tbh). Their alliance with the US does more to deter aggression than anything though.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

How ineffectual is the rest of the royal family that a that a prince like MBS managed to secure power?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Elyv posted:

Is it possible this is a statement from the Saudis intended to intimidate the Lebanese government to do something about Hizbullah or to do whatever else it is the Saudis want, similar to what happened with Qatar?

I was dubious of this yesterday, despite the circumstances of Hariri's resignation, but not really anymore.

Between Yemen, Qatar, and this I don't know what credibility MBS thinks he has internationally. (I guess it doesn't matter...)

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Bahrain orders all citizens to leave Lebanon immediately.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/11/05/bahrain-orders-citizens-to-leave-lebanon.html

3peat
May 6, 2010

Can't wait to see saudi arabia occupied by some nice iranian chaps

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

The Saudis can't win a war in Yemen much less Lebanon, or are they just going to covertly back the Israelis? That war stalemated too, and that was before an entire generation of Israeli soldiers first combat experience was preteens with rocks.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Aurubin posted:

How ineffectual is the rest of the royal family that a that a prince like MBS managed to secure power?

Well for reference one of the Princes just arrested, Alwaleed bin Talal, once called a Forbes Magazine editor in tears to complain that they were underreporting how rich he was on their annual billionaires list.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/927673257230327808

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

there's something very comradely about the fact that Saudis get to suffer donald trump just as much as America does.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Aurubin posted:

The Saudis can't win a war in Yemen much less Lebanon, or are they just going to covertly back the Israelis? That war stalemated too, and that was before an entire generation of Israeli soldiers first combat experience was preteens with rocks.

as i and probaly others have said. why should the saudie royal family care. its just conscripts and client state soldiers dying. worse comes to worse some of their bastards and seventh born sons die when they order a charge into a minefield.

Squalid posted:

Well for reference one of the Princes just arrested, Alwaleed bin Talal, once called a Forbes Magazine editor in tears to complain that they were underreporting how rich he was on their annual billionaires list.

so whats the chances of him already being dead in some black site somewhere. because i feel like most of the people arrested are either already dead or about to be, maybe after some weird show trial.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 7, 2017

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I think most trials in the KSA are probably of the "show" variety. What happens to those arrested probably depends on who has control over the judiciary right now. I expect there will be trials because there were arrests, but a few timely "suicides" might crop up for anyone they really don't want around.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I wonder how much of this was planned around that loving orb.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Count Roland posted:

I wonder how much of this was planned around that loving :orb:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Aurubin posted:

Option 1: Have to give a gently caress about politics in the Middle East and put your life on the line
Option 2: Life as a billionaire playboy

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
So...apparently Saudi Arabia is bombing its own embassy in Yemen. Is this bad or really bad?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Lote posted:

So...apparently Saudi Arabia is bombing its own embassy in Yemen. Is this bad or really bad?

source?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Lote posted:

It's impossible that there's an actual functioning embassy in Sanaa at this point lol they must've just bombed the building itself.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/AhmadAlgohbary/status/927589345267249152
Referring to this I think.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Edit: I don’t know enough about the foreign politics in the Middle East right now to form an opinion about how dumb the Trump plan for the Middle East is. I assume this is bad. On a scale of smoldering proxy war to all out Middle East war with Israel running around with a hand grenade ala Anchorman, how bad is it?

Lote fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Lote posted:

Edit: I don’t know enough about the foreign politics in the Middle East right now to form an opinion about how dumb the Trump plan for the Middle East is. I assume this is bad. On a scale of smoldering proxy war to all out Middle East war with Israel running around with a hand grenade ala Anchorman, how bad is it?

Nobody knows what the plan is, except that Trump and Saudi Arabia and Israel get along famously, and they all loving hate Iran.