Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Saladin Rising posted:

Raqqa is done, we're still supplying the SDF. I'm very curious to see if we continue supplying the SDF after ISIS no longer officially holds territory, since that would indicate a bit more of a long-term commitment.

Sputnik Turkiye though.

Count Roland posted:

I wonder how much of this was planned by that loving orb.

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

mediadave posted:

I also have Iranian in-laws , but they don't really talk (to me) about Iran or the middle east except to moan about family drama and the ownership of the carpet factory (yep...)

That reminds me of a very nice comedy movie about culture clash and communication issues.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Al-Saqr posted:

They are not a force for good at all.

Who is?

Saudi Arabia? The United Arab Emirates? Turkey? Egypt? Iraq? Syria? Israel? Yemen? Qatar? Oman? Lebanon? Who in that cursed region can be described as a force for good? They're all either forces for evil, or not a force at all.

So we end up having to look at the lesser evil and that's when you get people saying "I support this brutal repressive misogynistic theocracy because I like them better than those brutal repressive misogynistic theocracies" and :shepicide:

As for the murder brigades in Syria, the blame is primarily to place on Assad because he's the fucker who decided to genocide his own people instead of compromising in the first place. Iran, like Russia, are guilty of aiding and abetting out of geopolitical calculus, but they're merely accomplices. Assad is the one who is responsible.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

khwarezm posted:

I think there's an element of anti-Sunni sentiment there, though that's more explicit in places like Reddit where the civilized Shiites, who hardly ever have terrorist attacks on white people, need to be elevated to keep the ISIS supporting Sunnis under wraps.

Oh certainly. I think there's also an element of reaction to the constant drumbeat of "Iran is the most evil country of Earth; the House of Saud is cool and good tho" from western governments. The "terrorist attacks on white people" angle just feeds into this: "why are we friends and allies with a country that is stocking sectarian tensions all over the world with its proselytism of salafism; while we accuse of terrorism a country that has largely left us alone?" Two decades of singing "bomb Iran" and lumping them with North Korea as the "axis of evil" while Al Qaeda and Daesh were competing for who could make the most spectacular act of mass murder would tend to make people question why exactly they're supposed to hate Iran so much.

And perhaps the Shiites have an element of underdog sympathy because they are persecuted by the Sunnites in most Muslim-majority countries other than Iran (most visibly in Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Indonesia and Malaysia, as well as Iraq during baathist rule).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Don't worry, Macron is in Riyadh right now and he's gonna convince the Saudi to fix everything.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'll count that as a fix.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
When I think "societies believing in tolerance", I think "birthplace of salafism", yes.

Raif Badawi blogged a good article on Saudi tolerance. Or at least, he would have, I'm sure.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
But it also meant that it gave Junior a way to overcome his daddy issues by "finishing the job".

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Al-Saqr posted:

Good article about how KSA is floundering in its fight against Iranian influence and why they keep failing:-

Twitter posted:

Wrote an article comparing Iran to Saudi Arabia, the latter of which is mainly an incompetent and U.S.-backed version of Iran: https://t.co/G5JTi7WGOP
— Murtaza Mohammad Hussain (@MazMHussain) November 17, 2017

"incompetent and U.S.-backed" -- I'd say "incompetent because U.S.-backed. There was no pressure to adapt since they didn't need to fend for themselves, so they allowed themselves to become complacent.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I kind of dislike these "uncleaned" audio transcripts. They have no value outside of linguistic studies IMO. I know people talk like this, but when you read it instead of hear it, it just make them seem like morons, because it brings emphasis to all the hesitations and abandoned sentence fragments that you normally just ignore in a conversation.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Turkey is a NATO member who is also a JSF partner. They're planning to buy a lot of Grover's favorite airplane, a commitment that got them the very coveted spot of being the engine maintenance hub for the whole Europe+MENA region. But that was before Erdogan discovered that actually, he likes Moscow, Beijing and Tehran more than Washington. And notably he's buying a Russian air defense system.

So now people in the US are getting upset about the whole Turkey being a JSF partner deal. Here comes the threats:

https://www.defensenews.com/digital...into-nato-tech/

quote:

further action may be forthcoming that could affect the country’s acquisition or operation of the F-35, a top Air Force official said Wednesday.

Pundits are bringing some public pressure on the topic, too.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/i...article/2641027

So Turkey retaliates to blackmail with more blackmail.
http://www.yenisafak.com/en/news/turkey-may-remove-us-radar-if-f-35s-not-delivered-on-schedule-2808663

quote:

In retaliation to the American blackmail, Ankara may take measures of its own in response, atop of which is the possible dismantling of the powerful Malatya- Kürecik AN-TPY-2 radar that was set up by the U.S. in 2012.

The Kürecik radar, which has been set up with the purpose of detecting any missile fired at Israel, is capable of spotting all types of flying objects or projectiles at high altitudes and at a maximum distance of 1,000 kilometers, which chiefly covers Iran, among other countries in the region.

As part of its agreements with NATO, Turkey has given permission for the deployment of the radar to its territory, much to the dismay of Russia and Iran, who expressed their sharp opposition to such a move.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Hariri is back at home, and announced that he 'suspends' his resignation.

http://www.lemonde.fr/proche-orient...18315_3218.html

She cannot drive yet, so that was the next best thing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Please do not insult animals or neanderthals by comparing them to fascists.

Also please try not to get an all-expenses-paid stay at the Ritz Carlton.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shageletic posted:

Yeah the linkage of blackwater which doesn't even exist anymore (I think even Xe might be defunct)

They're as defunct as the United Fruit Company, which is to say, they just change their name from time to time to get rid of the bad press. Nowadays, they go by Academi.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

guidoanselmi posted:

I read your post earlier and didn't think otherwise. Then this came up on my feed: https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-s...e-idUKKBN1DQ0EU

The timing's pretty drat convenient, at the very least.

Feh. If they were waiting for a terrorist attack to announce something, unfortunately, all they needed was a bit of patience. No reason to go full truther about it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dapper_Swindler posted:

genuinly sad. Irans goverment is loving terrible but there was chance of future reform/hell maybe populist overthrow if we let the country open up and etc. Now trump has made the same mistake the Iraqis made in the 80s and the Persians have rallied around the flag and to their homeland and now a hardliner will be in power. good times ahead indeed.

Which is why I hope that European policy will keep a certain openness and play the good cop to the US's bad cop.

In other news, according to the NYT, MBS will probably have to abort the privatization of Aramco.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/14/world/middleeast/saudi-arabia-mohammed-bin-salman.html

quote:

The extrajudicial arrests have spooked investors enough, analysts say, to extinguish the prince’s plans for an public stock offering of Aramco, the Saudi state oil company, in New York or London next year. It had been a centerpiece of his overhaul.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
In Pakistan you have the military, but you also have the intelligence services. From what little I know, the Pakistanese intelligence services are those who are behind propping up terrorist groups everywhere (in Afghanistan, in Kashmir, at home...) and the government doesn't really control them.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Count Roland posted:

I strongly disagree with this, mostly because I see Iran getting quite a lot stronger in the coming decades. Not as strong as Russia, but strong enough to exert strong influence on neighbouring states.

Much like Turkey, Iran has longstanding and natural beefs with Russia. And also like Turkey, one merely has to look at a map to see why.

The Caucasus and Central Asia are where Iran and Russia will come into conflict. Iran has traditionally been powerful in these regions, but in the 1800s the Russian empire expanded down and took territory at Iran's expense. A stronger Iran may want this territory back, or may want areas as buffer regions to keep between it and Russia.

Yep, but right now both are pissed at the USA, for their own reasons, and Russia is keen to capitalize on that. And so you get this:

Look at how smug Vladdy looks on that picture.

As for getting ancestral clay back, I doubt they'll try anything in the near future. Even if they had irredentist views on these territories (do they actually?), it's not something that could be done militarily against a Russia that remains one of the most powerful military nations on Earth just by virtue of having a ton of nukes. In fact, Russia itself gave us the playbook for how to do that kind of poo poo: foster nationalist sentiment, try to be subtle about it so that it doesn't look like a threat until it's ready and you get a good opportunity to strike because the central power is destabilized and won't be able to react forcefully. It'd take a couple generations at least IMO to build the base, and then who knows how long waiting for a collapse of the Russian government. Definitely not something Putin has to worry about.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Josef bugman posted:

On that note, a larger philosophical question: How do we encourage better respect for Human Rights in the Middle East from a policy standpoint?

1. Stop the influx of weapons in the region, and in fact try to organize disarmament.
3. Freeze the assets of the worst people as far as corruption and funding of terrorism are concerned.
4. Beyond that, just stop meddling. Stop backing such or such group for political expediency reasons. Just, you know, stop.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/egea_blog/status/936352887583772672

Sudan proposes to host a Russian base on the Red Sea.

They can't offer a really strategic location, though, since they aren't Djibouti. Anyway I guess this shows that Russia has become an interesting friend for MENA countries in the throes of an endless civil war?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
UK has far greater expeditionary capabilities than Germany, gimped carrier or not. Still have overseas military bases in a bunch of places (in fact that's a reason why aircraft carriers were neglected: planners figured that an island is like a carrier that doesn't sink; read up on the "island strategy"). Since this is the ME thread, I'll just mention Bahrain, Cyprus, and Qatar. Plus, nuke, UNSC permanent seat, etc. This kind of things help punching a bit above your weight.

Germany on the other hand has a larger economy but their military is a joke, basically nothing more than a scheme to subsidize their weapon industry so that they can export their crap. Typically, they order a lot more than they need (which gives them that must more weight to get the lion's share of the workshare in international projects) and then they just sell off all the surplus directly as brand-new second-hand stuff. Then they don't bother funding maintenance of the stuff they've kept, so the German military ends up training with broomsticks instead of guns. This has been largely encouraged because after two world wars, nobody wanted Germany to have a strong military anymore; not even the Germans themselves.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Honestly that Wahsh guy looks pretty fascist to me. When someones says it's a patriotic duty to assault people because of how they look? They're 100% a fascist. It's science.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
How was Saleh a "prominent world leader"? Like even if you considered him the legitimate chief of state of Yemen (a different debate in the first place), how is leadership of Yemen something that makes you prominent?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Warbadger posted:

It is kinda odd seeing pro-Assad/Ghaddafi voices cheering his death on, though, given he was the secular strongman and knocked off by self-declared islamists.

About as odd as seeing anti-Assad/Ghaddafi condemning his death. It's all a question of whose son of a bitch he was.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
None of the leaders who fought against Israel in the past is still around, the "new" generation of Arab dictators is one that grew up with Israel being a thing that exist. It was a convenient scapegoat to distract the population from their problems at home, but not something that they personally cared about. So it shouldn't be a surprise that they're ready to drop it; especially since nowadays there's a new convenient scapegoat: the terrorists, who are of course and obviously backed by the Nefarious Iran. Israel and the Arab dictatorships can all be allied under Uncle Sam's umbrella for a great righteous war against the Perfidious Persians.

Hatred of the Shia will replace hatred of the Jews as a substitution target for anger against the government, and to that end a book entitled "Protocols of the Elders of Iran" will appear in the near future.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
MBS is brash enough to just execute all the naysayers instead of attempting to appease them.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
For Christmas this year, Qatar wants protectors.

On December 7, they bought 12 additional Rafale aircraft (in addition to the 24 already purchased) and reserved an option for 36 more in the future. And three days later, today, they signed up a contract for 24 Typhoon aircraft from the UK. They had also signed up for 36 F-15 earlier.

Will they look at the MiG-35 and FC-31 next? Just so as to round out the P5 favors?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The aircraft themselves are near useless in the short term. For the Typhoon, deliveries are planned for 2022 for example. And actually operating them requires a ton of infrastructure and logistical support that Qatar doesn't have yet. Most likely most of their pilots will have to be foreign mercenaries. They're buying them for political favors.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The Mossad has a lot of experience assassinating nuclear scientists.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Fahad al-Saud has never been more prepared for anything in his life.

before this google search I never knew this dude or article existed

https://www.polygon.com/features/2015/4/30/8514675/a-saudi-prince-is-using-video-games-to-fuel-an-intellectual

I am inherently skeptical but at least there have been an awful lot of shittier princely pet projects

Looking to see if that na3m game thing still existed, I found that: https://www.disruptorawards.com/2015-honoree-blog/2017/1/19/hh-prince-fahad-al-saud-na3m-games

His instagram account is yolofahad.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/12/rouhani-ready-restore-ties-saudi-arabia-171210084010955.html

quote:

In a speech broadcast Sunday, President Hassan Rouhani said that Iran is ready to restore ties with Saudi Arabia if it stops bombing Yemen and cuts its alleged ties with Israel.

Saudi Arabia severed diplomatic relations with Iran in January 2016 after Iranian demonstrators attacked Saudi diplomatic missions in response to the Saudi execution of a prominent Shiite dissident leader.

Tensions spiked again last month after the Houthis fired a ballistic missile that was intercepted near Riyadh.

Rouhani said that Iran and Saudi Arabia could have "good relations" if the Saudis end their "misguided friendship" with Israel and halt the "inhuman bombardment" of Yemen, where a Saudi-led coalition is battling Iranian-allied rebels known as Houthis.

Iranian media quoted Rouhani as saying: "If Saudi Arabia, our neighbouring country, stops bombing Yemen from tomorrow and stand up against Israel and relies on its own people, we do not see any barriers in front of improving our relations with them."

"We are not like America that has broken its promises so far in the nuclear deal. when we sign an agreement, we will remain loyal to it and keep our promises."

The president went on as saying "we are Muslim and Iranian, and we have a long and old culture, we are not the one who violates the nuclear agreement. In case the other side does this, we will have our own options."

At the end of his speech, Rohani concluded that "Palestine has been and will remain our cause, and the United States and the Zionist regime will not succeed in their recent conspiracy, and God willing, the Islamic nations will liberate al-Quds soon."

Hezbollah leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah said in June, according to Reuters, that any future war waged by Israel against Syria or Lebanon could draw in fighters from countries including Iran and Iraq.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
America's inept foreign policy managed to create a Turkey-Iran axis and an Israel-KSA axis. And Saudi Arabia's inept bullying has pushed Qatar in the arms of Iran.

Congrats.

Quick map.

Red and blue: the two blocks.
Purple: disputed areas of influence. Iran seems to be winning those.
Green: countries that are trying not to attract too much attention so that they don't get involved in the mess, but if they have to choose, they'll probably side with Saudi Arabia.

What do you think?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Count Roland posted:

Did you color this manually or use some service for it?

I used mapchart. It's a simple online tool to quickly get a colored map. Amusingly, the "simple" world map is more detailed for this area than the "detailed" one.

There's no real alliance between Turkey and Iran, but recently they've been on the same side wrt. Qatar, wrt. Syria, and wrt. Jerusalem. And both stand to benefit from the Saudi losing legitimacy in the Muslim world, so I can see them remaining in agreement on other diplomatic questions. If an actual war broke out between KSA and Iran, they probably wouldn't side with Iran there, but as long as the situation doesn't devolve to that point, I think they can be seen as part of the same block.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Afghanistan is unconquerable largely because it's a battleground for proxy wars. If Iran were to attempt to create a Hezbollah there, the proxy war would be between Iran and Pakistan.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Hasn't the "Any Day Now" crowd said Iran was six weeks away from a nuclear bomb since, like, 1980 or something? I imagine by now Iran must have like a hundred billion nuclear bombs and any attempt at attacking them will provoke a chain reaction of all these nukes going off together, pulverizing the entire planet Earth.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Just distract Pakistan from Afghanistan by providing arms and support to the Baluchistan separatists. India can help. :unsmigghh:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Isn’t the US Navy helping with the blockade though?

They're too busy colliding with fishing vessels, tankers, container ships, tugboats, and the shore to be allowed near a busy sea lane.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Meanwhile, in Egypt:
https://twitter.com/Arn_Del/status/943970825996324869/video/1

quote:

Video showing the #ISIS attack on al-Arish Airbase in North #Sinai. An UH-60 that has just landed is destroyed with a 9M133 Kornet ATGM. The pilot did not survive. This helicopter was carrying the Defense & Interior Ministers #Egypt

Also the tweet says the helicopter was carrying two ministers, they had already gotten out so they haven't been killed by the attack. They returned home in another chopper (a Mi-17 this time).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

khwarezm posted:

and just lay bare the country's awful, oppressive systems

Speaking of which, we haven't seen Al-Saqr in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There's been a revival of what could be called Iranian cultural nationalism: reminders that Iran existed before the Islamic Republic and even before Islam, and so that Iran doesn't need to be defined by its current regime. The Shah is just another symbol of a different Iran from the current one.