Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Flayer posted:

If these allegations are evenly partly true you can see why Trump loves Gallagher.

Although I have my doubts purely because from all available evidence it seems extremely unlikely that a coward like Trump would have the balls to directly threaten to kill someone he was talking to.

It’s not so hard to believe when you remember that brown people aren’t people and cant be allowed to stand up to a rich white guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Fojar38 posted:

Oh you don't say? Maybe the blame for the result of pulling the trigger should be placed on the people who pulled the trigger perhaps?

I, too, am incapable of comprehending any case where multiple parties could be liable for an event.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Putin I thought Armenia was within your sphere. Was Syria not? Why not take this opportunity to encroach your influence over the Middle East while the US loosens its grip?

Because he's still trying to lure Turkey away from NATO?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Sinteres posted:

I actually agree with that unpopular opinion, but I'm genuinely just curious about how they decided on Karzai. Maybe they figured he was the guy most likely to win a genuine election if they installed him, since they thought he could have crossover appeal that the Northern Alliance couldn't? It's interesting to think of awful people dooming their awful project because deep down they're idealists, but obviously we don't know if naked imperialism would have turned out any better than the imperialism with a smile and some pinkwashing version we got.

IIRC the US had someone else they wanted to take over but they sent him back in to the south too soon and he got captured and killed.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I just cannot fathom how spectacular this failure is. I wonder if the US genuinely did not expect to see how badly this reflects on them, in the long term.

If you haven’t realized it yet we reeeeeeeealy don’t give a poo poo about what the rest of you think. We don’t even really care what most of US think.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

If you don't give a poo poo, why do you guys try to play world police all the time. This is just an obnoxious attitude to have, and really sums up why Americans are universally loathed outside of the US.

Im fairly certain it’s to remind the rest of you that we’re massive, violent, and unhinged.

Im not saying that’s the specific intent… maintaining economic hegemony is probably what’s actually on many leaders’ minds… but it’s really it’s to remind you that we are the eye of sauron and you really don’t want us taking a critical look at you.

It’s utter poo poo and we are a horrible, horrible nation.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Sinteres posted:

It's cool that people realized how dumb the minerals explanation for the war was so the CIA wanting to control the world's supply of opium became the new conspiracy theory (or the new old one anyway) when just accepting that we lost our minds after 9/11 and had enough hubris to think we could remake Afghanistan is a sufficient explanation without any of that.

Bah, my conspiracy was the neocons wanted to conquer Iran but needed bases to the east and west first and thought Afghanistan and Iraq would be simple to pacify.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

E: oops

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

Bruh I'm not sure what else to call ruling 15-2 and 16-1 on 4 orders

Overwhelming thoughts and prayers

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Count Roland posted:

I don't know if the US has motivation to lie.

Always assume we do

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Saladman posted:

The Houthis aren't in an economic war with the UK, and the UK is basically unaffected by the semi-blockade of the Red Sea. The Houthi economic war is against Egypt, Sudan, Jordan, Eritrea, and to a lesser extent Saudi Arabia, and to a far lesser extent Israel (Eilat is not a significant port; something like 2-5% of Israel's trade went through there pre-2023) and anyone else who uses the canal.

And... the Red Sea action is not a massive additional expenditure. Those funding allocations are always vast over estimates, since if the navy ship was not in Djibouti, it would be in Plymouth and it would still have to cover all the sailors salaries and etc. There will be a marginal cost to maintenance, fuel, and the cost of real munitions vs. training exercises, but it's not exactly bankrupting the UK.

I'm sure it does cost the UK much more in €€ values, even in the marginal cost, compared to Yemen. But, Yemen is also an absurdly poor country spending a vast portion of what little it has on munitions to target ships and exacerbating a conflict that isn't really even related to them.

The ongoing genocide of the Palestinian people by the State of Israel is a sin on all of our souls, my dude.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Grip it and rip it posted:

It also sounds like the Panama Canal is having to cut it's operating capacity by 1/3 due to an ongoing drought in the region. It does make me worried that, combined with the damaged data cables and the multiple sunk ships, the US may increase its interest and focus on Yemen.

Hopefully they get sick of creating ecological disasters and killing random passers by though.

Is this last sentence about the US or Yemen?