Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Is Rojava still cool and good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah I'm not a munitions tech but I don't think you can just accidentally deploy a chemical weapon, by design there're multiple parts you have to consciously put together on purpose.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Sinteres posted:

a bunch of communist Kurds who are Turkey's number one enemy

What in here is supposed to make me like them less, because all three of those things are pretty cool and good?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

lol

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Sneakster posted:

I'm sincere, it's just that... I can't think of an actual reason we're there, except to somehow fight a combination of elements who rightfully resent having their loved ones killed and and reactionary elements the US armed and trained.

I'm in that intellectual grey area where I'm aware of some of the elements at play, but not everything, so I'm desperately trying to comprehend the last piece of the puzzle. What is the goal of the US in Afghanistan at this point? The entire reason, full stop, was Osama Bin Laden. That ended in 2011. What the hell is the US military there for at this point in time?

What is the objective at this point?

Beyond a humanitarian fig leaf, why am I invested enough to send people across the planet to point guns at... ???

Lock-Mart/Boeing/etc.'s profit margins would crumble if we stopped shoveling hundreds of billions of dollars their way for shiny new murder toys, so we need an excuse to keep buying murder toys and blowing up random poo poo on the other side of the planet is as good as any. If we stopped in Afghanistan we'd just have to find someone else's lives to ruin, so why go through the effort.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 11, 2018

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Starting.... today, actually, it will be possible for a kid born after 9/11 to join the Army and go die in the rear end end of nowhere for some nebulously defined mumblings about "terrorism". Not only do they not remember and were not affected by the supposed reason for this whole loving Forever War, they literally didn't even exist. I've got a friend actively deployed right this very second who doesn't remember 9/11, the lower enlisted ranks are already full of teenagers who have no memory of a country in a state of peace. And now it's gonna start filling out with people who have never even been alive while the country was at peace, much less remember what peace is like.

These days it's not about terrorism, it's not about nation building, none of that bullshit (if it ever was to begin with). It's about a combination of sheer inertia, making money for defense companies, and satisfying the racist bloodlust of a bunch of idiot Boomers and Gen X'ers who had their brains shattered by an event none of us even loving remember. That's why the US is still in Afghanistan.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Has been for at least a decade if not longer

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Well, it's working

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah as others have said, I don't see the Saudis not being able to win Yemen (or anything else) as indication that American aid isn't helping them, I see it as them being so hilariously incompetent that even with all the sci-fi poo poo and the backing of the world hegemon they can't really manage more than warcriming a bunch of kids so if they lost that edge they'd some how gently caress it up even more.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

So uh... WHY did they do this again? Just because he was a critical journalist? This seems incredibly excessive.

I'm starting to think that the Saudis might actually be a hilariously incompetent state run by a hereditary nobility who are utter monsters and think they can get away with whatever they want because divine right of kings US backing.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Doesn't seem particularly insane to me, it's like the 985th most crazy thing that's happened just in the past month or so.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

enraged_camel posted:

Sorry, past genocidal actions? Dude, kids are dying in literal concentration camps in the US southern border. The United States of America is committing crimes against humanity even as it judges other nations for their own transgressions. It also supports regimes who commit similar crimes. When was that Yemeni school bus blown up by the Saudis? Last month?

Get ready to have your mind loving blown: the US is also bad and should not do that. Whoa. Crazy. Almost like it's possible to be against genocide and crimes against humanity everywhere on principle rather than just in Turkey.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Saying America is bad is imperialism

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Ottoman Empire? That's a genocidal imperial power that forcefully stole the region from its bliss under the most pluralistic state to ever exist. What's that? I mean Rome, of course. It's clear, without a single doubt, that the Roman Empire was the model of an enlightened society able to facilitate the peaceful coexistence of the biggest multitude of ethnic groups in history, all living under the same banner and benefiting from the highest form of moral and democratic government.

It is indisputable that the fall of Constantinople is the singular moment in the region's history that can be definitely regarded as a tipping point - the transition from civilization to barbarism, from centuries of peace to centuries of sectarian and ethnic strife perpetrated by self-interested empires of the worst sort. It is clear then that any regional policy that purports to chart a course towards truly peaceful and multi-cultural Middle East must first envisage the transfer of Constaniople to its rightful owner - the only legitimate successor to the Roman Empire - the EU.

This but unironically and also the legitimate successor is not the EU, but Moscow, the Third Rome. Please do not @ me with any denying the moral superiority of the Moscow Patriarchate, Papists get out, thank you.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 7, 2019

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Brown Moses posted:

Also, Marxism is good.

But unironically

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Nuclear weapons are bad and in a perfect world nobody would have them, but also the US has nobody to blame but themselves for creating a situation where they're the only foolproof way to avoid getting yourself regime changed/bombed. Just as an example, Gadaffi gave up on the Libyan nuclear program when the US pinky promised they wouldn't come for him, and then whoops they came for him anyways. Saddam wasn't running a nuclear program at all and we still came for him. Meanwhile, North Korea has effectively secured themselves against any military intervention, at least until magic sci-fi 100% effective missile shields exist.

So I guess while ideally Iran wouldn't have any use for nukes, I don't blame them one bit for thinking they'd need the deterrent, especially given recent saber-rattling. I dunno if I want to see the spread of nuclear weapons, but it's the lesser of two evils if that's what it takes to make the Americans stop threatening to start a war every few years.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 7, 2019

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

More countries having nukes is a bad thing. Not a good thing. Libya got hosed,but the other 196 countries of the world probably appreciate an instance where there are less weapons.

Cool. Now, I'm the Supreme Leader of Iran, not the Supreme Leader of 196 Other Countries, and obviously I would very much like to avoid getting my country flattened by a US (or Russian) military intervention if at all possible. If I can't have nukes how do you suggest I avoid that instead? Seems an awful lot like they're the only deterrent the Great Satan understands.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jul 7, 2019

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lol CSPAM would be probing BM from the left, not the right

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Thorium is not an available path to choose unless you're a great power with billions upon billions to spend on R&D (which Iran is obviously not), because as mentioned it's not an existing technology outside white papers and maybe the odd research proto-prototype.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah, key word being research. There are prototypes floating around out there, and I'm sure engineers and physicists love them. But that's not the same as a design that you can scale up for civilian power or medical isotope production, especially not at a cost a minor power with minimal native expertise like Iran can afford.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Seeing as Iran has a proxy with 100,000 missiles and proxies that can hit foreign capitals with cruise missiles. The only point of a nuclear weapon program would be to use them.

lol wat

I see the nuclear deterrent understander has logged on

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

In what possible universe does Iran benefit from making a pre-emptive first strike? As if that somehow isn't just a very expensive way of committing suicide when the Israelis (or hell even the Americans) inevitably glass the entire country in retaliation?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yes that's why it's important to have a deterrent, so nobody bombs you in the first place

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Hrm, so it's almost like nuclear weapons greatly help with being able to stand on your own in a hostile environment and are an effective deterrent against anyone pushing you too hard?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

If shooting cruise missiles at oil terminals is just as effective a deterrent as nukes then why does Israel get to have nukes when a cruise missile barrage would work? Large numbers of high-quality missiles are even easier to get for Israel, hell they can probably get bleeding edge world-class US hardware for essentially free as long as whoever's running the US feels like tossing some pocket change at Raytheon (the US government is always willing to toss some money at Raytheon). And on top of that huge advantage the people they'd be shooting at don't have missile defense systems nearly on par with Israel's, so their higher-quality greater-numbers less-defended-against missile strikes should be absolutely god-tier if Iran with none of those advantages is still good enough to not need nukes.

And yet Israel still need nukes :thunk:

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 8, 2019

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I bet your av is from the GBS Chernobyl thread, that's about when I remember seeing it show up

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Beg the Yanks to go do something

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Dawncloack posted:

So wait.... the agreement lets the Taliban attack government forces? Am I misreading?

If so, how's that not throwing them under a convoy of buses?

Yes, it does.
No, you're not.
That's exactly what it is.

If this actually goes through it's a hilarious Peace With Honor type thing so the US can just leave and let the Taliban win without having to officially say "ok you guys win."

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

My “not involved in the catastrophic accident during final launch preparations for the Safir SLV Launch at Semnan Launch Site One in Iran” shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Does the flash artifact in the center of the picture mean trump whipped his phone out and flashed a picture of a piece of briefing material AS HE WAS BEING loving BRIEFED ON THE SITUATION?? So military leaders surround him all formally breifing him before he shouts,"shut the gently caress up for a minute Im tweeting this to the ayatollah"

Yeah lol