Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I am trying to understand this war in Yemen. Does KSA have some kind of strategic goal they are failing hugely at here, or is it just to keep a bunch of spare heirs occupied, or what?
(I also was going to ask why Saudi Arabia hates Iran so drat much, but that may be way too big of a question...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Sinteres posted:

Turkey's a regional power, not just a scrub tier country Russia could easily subvert if they left NATO. They'd always have plenty of options to realign back to the West if they needed to, and would be impossible to absorb in any case (they have over half the population of Russia, higher GDP per capita (!) and a different religion), so I don't think they have anything to worry about. I mean Iran has been a problem for the US since 1979 and we've never done anything about them, and Turkey's more powerful than Iran, while Russia is less powerful than the US.

Just having Turkey as an ally effectively gives Russia what they've always wanted in a strategic sense, at least in the modern version in which you can't just conquer countries because you feel like it. Even their interventions in Georgia and Ukraine have been pretty limited by historic standards, and only stand out now because Europe is otherwise at peace.

When was the last time Turkey and Russia were on the same side? Has it ever actually happened before?

It's sort of morbidly fascinating that while this massive shift in alignment is occuring, we also have Saudi Arabia flailing about in Yemen and Qatar and Lebanon and making enemies of numerous wealthy, well-connected men. It's unbelievable how unstable everything has become over the last decade.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Count Roland posted:

I'd replace Cold with WW2 there. These are revolutionary times we live in.

Yeah, what on earth is going on? Have things always been this mad, or are we just more aware of it? I keep getting the very distinct and very unpleasant sensation that we are living through History. There's a dreadful resonance in all those old stories of civilisations bickering about last century's fight while next century's disaster creeps up on them. (I need to stop reading the news for a while.)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Well, I took a break from following the Syrian civil war too closely about three years ago for despair-related reasons; and coming back to this thread, I have absolutely no idea what is going on anymore. So the rebels have lost, Iraq's settled down, Russia's pulling out, and the rulers of Saudi Arabia and Turkey have both gone a bit mad? Is that pretty much it? (What happened to that city where the rebels/Syrian army control map was a fractal spiral...?)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The Eurasian thread of eternal despair?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I wonder what percentage of the world's misery can be attributed to the fact that the English words "Iran" and "Iraq" sound quite similar, cos all those crazy arab countries are the same, amirite.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

nrook posted:

You sound like Churchill!

That's fascinating. Good find!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Blubbery arses are universal.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Randarkman posted:

(ended up writing alot more than I intended here)

Thanks for posting this. You've given me a lot to think about.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
When they say Saudi soldiers, do they mean broke teenage slave-mercenaries, or actual citizens? Could there be failson officers amongst the captured troops?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Zurakara posted:

Rumor has it that MBS sleeps on a barge in the middle of a lake out of fear of assassination. No idea if it's true but lol that it's extremely believable.

I bet be becomes the first Saudi prince to die by drowning.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Herstory-- that's crazy. Is Yemen meant as a test run of KSA as regional military power, maybe?
They may have to reconsider things after their latest adventures.

Cat Mattress posted:

[useful info]

Also thanks for the stats.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

found the Australian

Or the Byzantine, possibly

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I hope you're not questioning the president's assertion that baghdadi cried like a dawg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Orange Devil posted:

sorta brownish

This seems to be emerging as a crucial factor