Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Aurubin posted:

How ineffectual is the rest of the royal family that a that a prince like MBS managed to secure power?

Option 1: Have to give a gently caress about politics in the Middle East and put your life on the line
Option 2: Life as a billionaire playboy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Radio Prune posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress is MbS up to?

Securing his throne and making a play for regional hegemon.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

FourLeaf posted:

What kinds of consequences are likely if Trump ends up moving the US embassy to Jerusalem this week?

e: please don't make me post this in the hell thread. i mean repercussions in the wider middle east

Everyone gets real pissy says a bunch of poo poo and carries on a big show about how terrible it is.

But does nothing.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

guidoanselmi posted:

I was pretty skeptical at first, seems pretty impressive that you can transport a Scud into Yemen right now. Small arms, some heavy guns, sure. But a scud?

Alternatively, I wonder if they're retrofit kits?

They may have been smuggled in before the blockade.

Or the blockage is ineffective because "LOL KSA Armed Forces".

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

There was a guy in NPR last night whose name I didn't catch.

He was putting forward the idea that one driving force for the protests is the Iranian budget.

Apparently this was the first year it was public and open to inspection. So people blew a lid when they saw how much money Clerics and Proxy Wars were costing while how little is being spent on economic development.

It is also mentioned, but not gone into detail by NY Times.

Anyone have an in depth piece on it?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

lol, what a child
https://twitter.com/Wilkmaster/status/984534491720044545

What is it about Twitter that makes grown men behave like they're playground bullies in a kindergarten?

(White) Men are used to not being called on their bullshit.

Their faux authority doesn't translate to twitter.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Remind me again why a Kurdistani nation wasn't included in the Versailles peace deal?

Because the powers involved didn't give a gently caress who lived where, they only care about the wealth they could extract from the areas they were going to "administrate".

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Bardeh posted:

https://twitter.com/IntelCrab/status/987765785400573953

Is that really the sound of people shooting at a drone? I mean, there are two narratives right now, of a drone and a coup (reading the reddit thread on it is strange because there are people pushing both, but the coup narrative seems to have a ton of links that don't really confirm poo poo) but that seems wildly excessive for a drone.

The drone explanation seems like pure bullshit.

Either it would be a military drone, which you would shoot down with real anti-air missiles or the kind of commercial drone people shoot them down with shotguns all the time in the states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Sinteres posted:

I'm still leaning toward thinking if something big had gone down we'd have more than a handful of short videos with background fire. So far everyone putting out alternative theories seems to be either guessing or lying about their sources. Maybe someone took a shot at a royal or something, but I'd be surprised (which isn't to say it's impossible) if there was an organized coup attempt given how little we've heard so far.

Or maybe one of the Princelings who didn't get hauled in for torture last time added some additional security and "someone" tried to blackbag him.