Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Grassy Knowles posted:

There are only the faces Apple supplies.

There’s a surprising amount of complexity and depth there once you factor in all the colors and complications and flourishes tho.

I got an S3 for Christmas and I’m still working out my watch face game. Wish you could save different profiles or ‘playlists’ of faces. Also wish there was a color-cycling option.

Otherwise A+, fully embracing the futureman fruit life. It and PSVR are a good weird pair of Christmas spoils for a scary turd of a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

sellouts posted:

And thiis is really stupid to say in the next breath.

No it isn’t. I know gotta hate on 3olives wherever he posts is still a thing on SA with some people but you sound like an idiot who should blow his sanctimony right out his rear end.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 31, 2017

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rick posted:

The first third party nylon watch I got was really nice, one of my favorites. It wasn't trying to emulate any of the current Apple styles and I think that might be the key here. Because I have tried three other that were based (sometimes with the same name) on Apple styles and they've just been garbage. Really hard and scratchy.

So that is why I finally decided to go ahead and get one of the official ones even though I think $50 is a lot for a nylon watch band. I ended up getting the sports loop since it isn't a style that I'm seeing many third party versions of yet. The color is great and it's super soft and comfortable. So for what it's worth I'm really happy with the band even though I think it's too expensive.

The sport loop is by far my favorite of the official bands. I got two with some gift card money that I had and I haven't gone back to the polymer sport band since.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

it's my first since the pebble steel so this is some power user stuff to me. Any good youtube videos or articles that break down the cool features and sick tricks

The iBooks manual is really big and surprisingly worth a read. You can easily download it to your phone from the Watch app itself. I learned a lot of tricks I didn't know a month in and got a better understanding of how several features worked that weren't quite clear to me.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 4, 2018

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Sportloop is the best band. Cash in Apple gift cards. Get all the colors.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just lol if you pay $50 for a sport loop.

Amazon knockoffs all day. Get all of the colors.

:jerry: I had $150 in Apple gift cards to burn and didn’t want first gen AirPods. How do the knockoffs compare to OEM?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

No way there’s gonna be a 2018 update with wireless charging, water resistance, better sound, etc.

That I prolly also won’t buy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

buglord posted:

Pebble spoiled me with an always on display. I'm not asking for the whole thing with all the colors to be lit up, just a simple 9:13AM.

It’s not really a compromise in the strict sense of the word but my solution to a similar conundrum ( I wanted to be able to glance at the watch without lifting it to my face) was to cue up the ‘X-Large’ watchface. A slight rotation of the wrist is all I need to trigger the display and I can peep at it in my peripheral vision easily.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dugong posted:

I wish I didn’t go for a black watch. The majority of bands look so much better on the silver version.

Actually, the midnight fog loop looks pretty cool. Thanks Apple!

Bullshit. My sport loops look mad dope on my black watch.

Also there are new Spring collection loops out. They look great. Really really good. I gotta have those loops!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Tougher to pair a leather strap with black, though. Imo.

This is true.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Dave posted:

My favorite band is actually a $13 poo poo one that had a crazy colored pattern on it. It’s really hit or miss with people but it stands out and looks unique.

What does it look like?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I keep mine on one of these on the nightstand, forget which size it is. It fits perfectly.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

tonic posted:

I bought one of these and it's great, thanks for the suggestion. I just wish it were weighted instead of having adhesive on the bottom, sucks that I can't use it for travel.

IKEA’s been putting adhesive on them now? That’s news to me, mine are just bare cork.

I guess you could always stick it to a weighted base of your own creation...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah this can be an issue if you are doing some sneaky poo poo too. I wish the watch mirrored the phone..

hey man don’t cheat on your partner

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Apple Watch is great I’m what I’m reading.

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

:getin:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
My fiancée went from being “not a runner” with frequent bouts of plantar fasciitis three years ago to doing C25K with a friend and I to being on a social running team and doing multiple half-marathons per year and flying to marathons and poo poo. It’s totally doable.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

fourwood posted:

Is this true? I still have a sport band. I am curious about how it compares to the sport loop and the woven nylon, though. What are the pros/cons?

Sport loop is the Best Band. Look back at the last few pages. We literally have this exact convo every few weeks ITT.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

fourwood posted:

Yeah, I’ve seen some talk about it being good, but don’t remember reading much about why. Tips about death smell are nice to be aware of as well...

Sport loop is the best because you can dial your fit in perfectly in a way that I personally can’t using the sport band. Also I find that the band gets a little uncomfortable and sticky and the fabric loop doesn’t. I have a couple in different bright colors that I like to swap out and get all matchy-matchy with because :gay: and also gift cards.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Neither of my Apple sport loops ever had that problem.

Same.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ddogflex posted:

I wish they'd come out with a loving solid black band, I don't mind paying to not have these loving things vibrate.

They have one, along with some of last season’s colors like orange- they aren’t listed individually on the website/Apple store app but if you select a band you want (say, a sport loop) in whatever color and go to the size/etc selection screen you can choose from all of the colors that are available there.

Kind of like how Apple hides BTO upgrades on macs until you’re on the configuration screen.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

My experience with “make an appointment at the store” has always been “go to one of our MacBooks on display and make an appointment online, then come back on that date because I have 100 other people in the store right now with appointments.” YMMV though.

Do you live in Manhattan?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah, the official Apple one that came with mine works great, I just would rather have a knockoff since Apple doesn't make a true black.

Embrace the funky colors. Orange and flash light look dope AF with the dark finish.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Best Buy has 50 off the S3 gps and I want to get one for my wife. Are the sales online usually the same in store? I want to go in because I have a 100$ visa gift card I want to put in on top of the 50 off.

As was said before, yes. If you don’t see the promo price in your local store for whatever reason just pull it up on your phone.

Edit: I’m an idiot who doesn’t scroll to the bottom of the page before posting.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 12, 2018

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
With the 3 the official advice is to rinse it well after use in salt water. They advertise it with distance swimmers and people at the beach.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Xabi posted:

Are there any must-have features on the horizon with the new models that might show up in the fall?

Probably not, but we’re so close to the September/October launch window that you’re better off waiting, in my mind. If you want a Series 4, you’ll be able to get it without having just bought a new watch. If you decide you’re fine with the Series 3, you’ll be able to get it at a steep discount- probably more so if you wait for Black Friday.

A newer model will probably last you at least a year or two longer in terms of running software updates, which is worth the 3-4 months of waiting.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

xilni posted:

Mmm the NHS and good food do not exist in the same country

There’s awesome food in the UK. Just like in the US, it’s almost exclusively thanks to immigrants.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Alfalfa posted:

I looked in SA-Mart and it's pretty bare, but I'm wondering if anyone is selling a Series 2 or 3 42mm watch by chance.

Let me know if so as I'd like to grab a used one since I'm only going to be using it for a few things (texts, podcasts/music, running/exercise, voice memos, weather)

Just wait a month or two for the Series 4 to be announced, then get a new one or a refurb (does Apple do Watch refurbs?- edit- yes they do but you can get bigger discounts on new stock at other places it seems) at a heavy discount. Hell, you can get discounted S2s pretty regularly from places like Best Buy if you look around for sales.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

The only new things the S4 is rumored to be bringing is a larger display (but same case size so not THAT much larger), better battery, and improved health monitoring.

I'm personally waiting before upgrading my S1, but if she needs a fitness tracker NOW and the above features don't sound worth the 2-3 weeks wait then go for it.

The improved/potentially new health monitoring seem like big reasons to wait if you’re switching from a Fitbit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I like using mine to control my phone playback in the car without having to reach over and pull the phone out of its holder. Same goes when I’m in lab and the phone’s in my pocket. When driving I can also “hey Siri” into the watch to start a call or dictate a message/send a canned message which is nice.

Also I like being able to hatch eggs in Pokémon Go while puttering around the lab or apartment. Don’t judge me I got back into playing because of the upcoming Switch game :shrug: .

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
X-Large face in a corresponding color with a slightly offset shade to a sport loop. :colbert:

So like orange loop gets peach face, flash (green) loop gets mint, and....that’s all I got for now.

If I want complications I’ll swipe to one of like eight other faces I have cued up that have complications I’ve already pre-chosen. But 95% of the time it’s on X-Large matched to the band color.

Also I gotta pick up the solid pink and solid blue sport loops before the 12th...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

You got three years of software support and will be able to continue using it as long as iOS supports Watch OS 4 (which, at the very least, iOS 12 does). You're not wrong to be upset, but the original Apple Watches are quite a bit less powerful than even the Series 1.

Unrelated: Since we only have 30 pages here, rather than a new thread, I'll just update the OP after the new Watches are available for purchase. Unless people think a new thread is warranted.

Keep this thread. Lots of people have the older watches and I highly doubt Apple will stop selling the S1/S3 for at least a year. We don’t need a new Watch thread.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rolo posted:

Yeah I think my series 3 is gonna do me fine at least until series 5.

Same

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Older Spring collection sport loops still available through third party sellers (Macy’s, etc) and should be for a few weeks until stock runs out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Presumably harder to scratch since Sapphire is higher up on the Mohs scale than glass. Don’t know the actual mineral composition on either however so it may not be equivalent.

IIRC sapphire is second to diamond on the Mohs scale.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

fourwood posted:

Did the woven nylon band get axed?

Yes. It was inferior to the sport loop anyway.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Ordered an aluminum and a stainless steel. Aluminum ships next week like they said. The SS won't ship until the week after though.

Are they different colors at least?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why would you need two watches other than one for each wrist.

Because one is gold and the other is black. Makes sense to me.

also I feel kind of iffy sometimes doing outdoorsy or sporty and lots of laboratory-specific stuff with my watch, even though it’s arguably supposed to be able to take a lot of abuse and serve as a fitness tracker during physical activity. If I had the means to have a second “beater” watch and a nice shiny one for wearing more formally I’d totally do it, though I know it’s a bit excessive. Also I like the gold and black equally.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Froist posted:

I guess it depends what you do with it. My aluminium is coming up for a year old and just like the poster above, doesn’t have a mark on it.

Mine is 99.99% perfect but if I look reeeeeaaally hard I can see a tiny nick on the body of my black aluminum S3. As opposed to the carbon coating on the SS which makes it super tough the black finish on the aluminum is as robust as it is on the phones and MacBooks.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Froist posted:

Yeah, the Nike version has all the standard watchfaces plus some exclusive to the Nike edition, that regular watches can never download. I wish the Apple Store employee that I asked this exact question to last year knew this, but by the time I’d opened my regular one it wasn’t worth returning it just for some watchfaces.

Edit: plus the band which you can now buy separately I think.

You’ve been able to buy the Nike bands separately for a while now (since the S2 I think).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

It's weird to me that Apple didn't add native sleep-tracking to the Series 4. Seems like a bog standard feature on every smartwatch/fitness tracker and, while paying three bucks for an app to do that isn't a huge ask, it does stick out on a $500 device.

I have to assume it's because they didn't improve the battery life so they expect you to charge it overnight.

MarcusSA posted:

Or maybe they feel it doesn't really work that well?

If I tried to sleep with one I’d break it.

Also I can’t sleep with socks or even most clothes on unless it’s absolutely frigid so the idea of sleeping with a watch on feels like sleeping with glasses.