Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I got a series 3 about a month ago and sometimes I’ll see the notification dot and find that I can’t swipe down or up to see the messages. Left and right still work to change faces and if I press the crown I can swipe all directions on the app cluster. Restarting the watch fixes it and I think it’s fixed itself at least one time. Did I get a dud? Should I take back to the store? I doubt I could replicate the issue on demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

The watch doesn’t update its position as often so it might be straightening your path a little compared to the phone. But if you have the phone with you, it’s supposed to use the phone’s gps anyway so :shrug:

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

enojy posted:

Makes you wonder if an Apple TV is a good buy today, or better to wait for a refresh? Is a refresh even necessary, though? There are certainly improvements that could be made to the UI and remote. Or, Apple could just stop beating around the bush and make an actual Apple TV in the next couple of years.

Still, it's an expensive addon when just about every TV these days is comparably smart-capable out of the box (granted you don't mind plugging your passwords and wifi access into your TV.)

I’ve still got a generation 2 AppleTV, and if it didn’t crash reboot every time I tried to pause a YouTube video, they’d be no reason to replace it.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Is there a way to tell my watch not to hijack my AirPods to play an alarm ding, disconnecting it from my phone until I go into Bluetooth settings and manually reconnect? Like it’s cool watch, we have haptics and they’re in transparent mode anyway.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

My watch stopped charging until I rebooted it. If I hadn’t, and the battery ran out completely, would it have been bricked?

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

1460 exercise minutes. Apparently that’s what I did in February so I guess I’ll get my first month this year.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

It looks like after the last WatchOS update (which required an unpair/repair because I've got a 3) I'm not getting cardio health/VO2max data anymore.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

If you're on an S3 and 7.5, it looks like you are required to do an un-pair/re-pair every watchOS update now :lol:
https://www.macrumors.com/2021/05/27/apple-watch-series-3-restore-when-updating/

I've had to since I bought mine in February 2020.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

If you’re looking at “active calories”, the watch is subtracting the calories you would have burned just sitting and breathing air. The machine probably isnt.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Could be it thinks you’re driving, I use forklifts at work and mine is often doing that.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

My boss told me I’d have to come in on a Saturday for a training course and wouldn’t be paid overtime and I was so mad that I registered 131 exercise minutes before I went home that day.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Definitely an algo. I’ve had walk more than 500km, but I’m on my feet at work a lot (and it definitely counts non-workout walking for me). The challenges escalate until you basically hit a killscreen, then roll back to something reasonable again.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I get the same issue with Overcast sometimes on my S3. Controls not doing anything, or displaying the last podcast played instead of the current one, or the spinny dots beachball until I interact with my phone directly. Probably less than 1 in 20 times, though.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Minidust posted:

I often use the watch as playback controls for podcasts on my phone, but like 99% of the time it tries to play what is locally stored on the watch and prompts me to connect Airpods. Is there any setting to make it default to phone playback? Or to just have it ignore local media if there's no audio device connected? This has gotta be the jankiest Apple thing I encounter on a regular basis.

I don’t store any media on my watch, but even then the Apple Podcasts app was hilariously bad, the list of podcasts on my phone would often somehow be weeks out of date.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Got an alert that my storage is full, which is weird because I just did the unpair, repair, update dance yesterday, and I don't keep music or podcasts on the watch. Check the storage and I've got 5 gigs of "other" that I can't seem to touch. Can I do anything about this? Does it matter?

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

some kinda jackal posted:

How old is the watch? I know getting a weekend out of my S5, even with maximum power saving efforts, is a fantasy, but newer models might be more capable. Hiking apps, GPS usage, etc, will basically negate any power saving you'll do (IMO) and a cheap, slim battery pack in the tent is probably her most realistic option. Only annoyance is that since the watch isn't mainline Qi you can't just find a cool one with a Qi charger built in and you have to carry that drat cable around everywhere.

I've done a few weekend kayak camping trips and my experience has been very good with the watch, I just came to accept that it'll need a top-up once or twice a day :)

This is one thing that makes me hesitant to upgrade. My S3 will still last a weekend easily. When it was new it would go 4-5 days on a charge.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

What I love is every time I do swim, the watch is like “Hey, it looks like you’re swimming, want to start a swimming workout?” with a big green button that you can’t press.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

On the phone, but sometimes it goes away and you have to force close and restart the Fitness app.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Check your music settings, also podcasts. When I used to use Apple Podcasts it tried to download the entire back catalog of every podcast I was subscribed to more than once.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

This is super weird and I'm not sure if it belongs here or the iPhone thread, but I just got a text message on my watch that doesn't appear on my phone at all, and this watch does not have cellular.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

Kill and relaunch messages.app on your phone

Did that, message is still gone. Also rebooted watch and phone.

Replied via the watch and that shows on the phone, as does the sender’s next message in the chain, just that one message is gone.

Like I said this isn’t a cel watch, so the message was received by the phone and then pushed to the watch, and then lost by the phone?

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Ok, good to know. loving haunted tech.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

trilobite terror posted:

lol my Series 3 that I got for chrimbus 2017 is at 90% battery health

what in the world

My 2020 S3 claims it's at 100 health, but I don't know if I believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

I used to love forecast.io but they killed it and then the Dark Sky app wasn't available in Canada, so Apple buying them was great, for me.