Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Hello Apple Watch thread,

I have decided I might be a dirty little consumer and treat myself. Haven't owned an iWatch before. I think I'm going for an S8.

Am I correct the best band options are basically on this page here? https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch/apple-watch

Once you scroll down lower.

I think to start with, I want a relatively plain mostly black band, in terms of color. Design I'm not sure about. It looks like there are half a dozen or more black-ish bands for the S8 listed there among many more.

My question for the thread: Does anyone have exprience with some of the bands there, and could you maybe recommend one I should consider? I could go to the ***fruit stand*** and try on a bunch, and might do that, but wanted to ask you all too.

:thanks:

e: For example here are three, and there are def more with the color selectors:

• Midnight Aluminum Case with Sport Band
• Midnight Aluminum Case with Nike Sport Band
• Midnight Aluminum Case with Solo Loop

So many Bands and Loops I'm not sure which one might be a popular consensus good combo / best seller. Any band / loop / series / color etc. recommendations welcome.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Thanks for the insights everyone.

A few questions for S8:

What is the difference between these two styles?

* Midnight Aluminum Case with Sport Band (black) vs. Midnight Aluminum Case with Solo Loop (black)

Is it the clasp type or something? Again total noob here.

Separately, I'm considering this type:

* Midnight Aluminum Case with Sport Loop, black simple band maybe like Midnight or one of the Nike ones, will take a look in store.

Of course will eventually decide on one main one then get the band I like 2nd most at the store probably, and overpay an asston. Then explore 3rd party etc.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

dc3k posted:

sport band is silicone with holes in it. solo loop is braided fabric

Hmmm.... I am trying to determine the differences between these styles:

* Midnight Aluminum Case with Sport Band (black) vs. Midnight Aluminum Case with Solo Loop (black)

Here is what I am referring to / seeing for Solo Loop, doesn't seem like braided fabric?

Referring to styles shown lower on page here: https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch/apple-watch

That's part of what was confusing me, so many Loops and Solos and Braids and Bands and Sports I'm not sure what they all mean. Death by choice as it were which will be helped with the store visit. But yeah let me know what you think ^

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Sport band had a buckle, while the solo loop is just one piece of stretchy material. The solo loop is way better as long as you get a proper-fitting one. I think the solo loop has a braided material.

Are you saying the above product photo is wrong with solo loop selected? Where is the braided material in that pic unless I am missing something? Not saying you are mistaken just want to get it right before I go to the store :shobon:

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 11, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sorry, I meant to say there was a solo loop and a braided solo loop. 2 different bands. Braided is hilariously $100.

Ok that makes sense thanks and which one is the one most people might get, in terms of stretchy solo loop vs. braided type? Yes $100 is robbery but hey when I'm buying the S8 I at least need to pick a starter band :chaostrump:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

incoherent posted:

Sorry that i wasn't specifically saying the 1 year old watches were S7. The stainless are still dropping in price, however.

Huh? I don’t know Apple Watch well so isn’t S7 1 year old?

Anyways I bought one so thanks for the link. Never tried one at a store but have been wanting one a while. Got the smaller one for my dainty gentle wrists. Free returns if I don’t like it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Where those mountains at? Don't have any mountains here in IL.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I don’t think we’re ok with people making posts that achieve the level of adventure shown in Tim’s ads.

Watch yourself

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Duckman2008 posted:

You don’t want to sleep in a tent attached to the side of a mountain ?

:gary:

Nah, I sleep in a big bed with my wife

Just kidding I'm pretty lonely

Anyway, I got the 41mm Series 7 Stainless Steel and Abyss Blue Sport Band, linked upthread. My first AW. It's pretty dope.

The stainless body is very nice. I have yet to try the aluminum one in store to compare. I see that stainless has for all intents and purposes been discontinued for Series 8, except for some $800 exorbitant special edition with a chintzy band. I guess not enough people ordered it, or the material was difficult enough to do that the profit margin wasn't making it worth it. :shrug:

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch/apple-watch?preSelect=false&product=MNKW3LL/A&step=detail

The band looks cool and I'd like to try it if my wallet weren't already hurt and sad.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 29, 2023

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Grim Up North posted:

Reminds me is there a good watch app that tries to wake you during a light sleep phase?

Ehhh that stuff was mostly algorithmic hand wavy magic that doesn't really identify a good time to wake up, IMO. The Apple sleep tracking works, but there is a reason they didn't add a feature to customize wake up time to sleep phase. Because a phone or watch can't do that accurately yet. IMHO.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Thirst Mutilator posted:

With regards to sleep, I don't trust any wearable to track anything beyond "when was I asleep" because most research indicates tracking things like REM cycles with a consumer wearables is dicey at best. That said, an app that yells at me for not being asleep enough has been pretty valuable and easily correlated with my condition throughout the day.

I don't really buy into a lot of the readiness scores that it provides, but AutoSleep has been great for automatically tracking when I'm asleep (nap or through the night), especially since with it installed I don't have to schedule or manually toggle Sleep Mode like WatchOS normally requires.

It's also has some alarm settings that aim for "light sleep" though in my experience it only works under ideal circumstances (you aren't drunk or already extremely sleep deprived)

Ehhhhhhh I am inclined to agree with you. There's a big BUT here though. Apple is paying Real Money to Real Medical Professionals to validate at least some of the claims they make in carefully worded language in Health app. They have incentives that discourage them from straight up boldly lying about marketed capabilities. So, I do have some reliance on some of the functionality Watch uses for REM / phase tracking as being somewhat based on realistic Sensor Fusion AI Fancy Models with marketing language validated by one well paid medical professional.

So I do like that feature, it's not a huge thing but if a watch didn't do it, as well as Apple's, it would be a little notch lower for me personally.

Other non-Apple wearables trying this out, that do not have the capital for me to trust the type of model I talk about above? Not going to put any stock in it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I picked up a stainless steel S7 and no regrets not going with S8. That being said, I think about the financial spend with a watch differently than a phone. With the phone I typically sell after 1 year (usually through Apple upgrade program) and get about half the value of the phone back. That makes it a Good Deal and almost as cheap as miserly goons rocking a 7 year old cracked phone by choice.

The watch though, is harder to pull the trigger, because I consider almost 100% of the purchase price gone as soon as I buy. Reselling is more annoying and will retain significantly less value than the phones, almost none really.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Strong Sauce posted:

I've found reselling my watch pretty easy. Especially when it was last year's model. if you're doing that once a year thing i'm pretty sure Apple does trade-ins as well?

Last time I checked the models seemed to take a hilarious drop in value after 1 year for trade ins, greater percentage than the phones if I remember right, but thanks for the heads up I will look into it again.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

What are you poor or something, your wallet not feeling Ultra enough? :smugdon:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I ran a 3:53 marathon in 2021 and my S6 died within 5 mins of crossing the finish line. My longer training runs for it were all pushing it too. The battery is still the weak point of the apple watch, even after it being on the market the better part of a decade.

That's about how long we've been pushing the limits of li-ion. We've come a long way, but chemistry and physics will limit us for now on goals towards our watches, our electric vehicles, and the stars.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

The Grumbles posted:

I’ve been doing the fitness+ stuff since getting my watch and although the tech is cool and they’re good workouts, most of the instructors are just obnoxious and awful. This is 100% brought to you by the version of Apple that thought installing a U2 album on everyone’s phone would be this radical gift to our collective cultural life.

I tried doing one set to a Rolling Stones soundtrack and the guy kept playing air guitar and telling me how the workout fit the ‘rebellious nature’ of the stones. Another stopped during a daft punk track to tell me that the robot voice singing was not, in fact, the singers natural singing voice, but a voice put through an effect. The ‘rockin out’ workout playlist starts with yellow by Coldplay and ends with Wonderwall.
They’re constantly telling me how I showed up and that’s what counts. I’ve never been to California, let alone the Apple campus, but it’s exactly what I imagine people there to be like.

Eventually choosing a workout is a weird puzzle of the kind of workout you like, with music you don’t hate (but it can’t be music you love because the instructors will ruin it for you), led by the instructor you hate the least.

On the upside, you end up persevering with the full workout because you don’t want to let them win.

This was a great post and a solid summary of the product, thanks for sharing your experience with it. I’ll check it out sometime… or not. But I do probably need to exercise so I don’t die early of some strange cause.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

The problem is I think most people enjoy it, and we are in the minority. Exercise class products and businesses, if done well or even marginally well, have been able to be quite profitable. I dunno what they would even call the section of Fitness+ that might appeal to us haha.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

xzzy posted:

Bundling the straps and the watches always seemed like a dumb idea to me, the last time I bought a watch the guy had to do the "let me check if we have one of those" even though they had a pile of the bands I wanted available.

Whatever beancounter took us down this road should get demoted.

It’s so wacky and annoying I bet it’s a profitable scheme, idk though. I guess it saves tiny amount of packaging for those that do not buy another band? Maybe?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Blood O2 was probably entirely a response to COVID, I doubt there is any other practical usage for it. Even during COVID heights the practicality of O2 sat numbers in healthy individuals was debated.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

FWIW I wouldn’t expect multi day charge times from Apple Watch. I understand from your description you’re not a Power User but still I’m not going to expect 4 days of battery.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Vintersorg posted:

Do you know how many people are blown away something like UBlock Origin exists?

Ublock origin has had more value in my life than probably almost anything else, even some other people.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

rafikki posted:

My 5 can’t go another year, so I bit the bullet on a 9. Somewhat tempted to go into the store and check out the ultra and maybe swap for that in a few weeks.

Within the next 14 days? That’s the watch return policy.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

xzzy posted:

I think the lesson they're teaching is if you want cosmetic damage fixed, you better have an "accident" before taking it in.

Yeah that's an ethics debate in the making but I feel like if you want to get any random issue fixed and you're willing to pay, they should allow it. Especially because trade in value is a real concern and they are pretty punitive about "cosmetic damage" being visible.

This is not the issue being discussed. Cosmetic damage does count as accidental damage, most of the time. I believe the issue was, the person did not have AppleCare+, they believed the included warranty covered damage, which it does not.

It’s like, if you have a scratch it will count, if you have a little teeny tiny granule of a scratch from normal usage, they may deny it as it doesn’t fit the definition of unintentional non wear and tear damage, but as stated the genius would have to feel like a jerk doing that denial.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yo watch goons, previously from time to time I enjoyed using the crown to move the size of the numbers on certain faces around. I could do it aimlessly while the watch is showing the face.

Did the newest watch OS remove the functionality of moving the number fonts on certain faces around by moving the crown without clicking it? Such as the faces metropolitan or contour.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Inner Light posted:

Yo watch goons, previously from time to time I enjoyed using the crown to move the size of the numbers on certain faces around. I could do it aimlessly while the watch is showing the face.

Did the newest watch OS remove the functionality of moving the number fonts on certain faces around by moving the crown without clicking it? Such as the faces metropolitan or contour.

I answered my own question via googling.

The answer is the functionality still exists, you must tap the watch face and then move the crown. https://support.apple.com/guide/watch/faces-and-features-apde9218b440/watchos

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Fedule posted:

I'm still incandescent that it takes like eight taps to consume four pieces of current weather data (eg, temps, humidity, wind, UV) when they used to all be on a single scrollable panel together unless you fill an entire face with weather complications (and then they don't work lol). They aren't thinking these things through on the level of how real people use them.

It feels like many “features” Apple is adding on their products in recent years is some 4d multi year chess game to add pieces for a sticky multi device ecosystem, instead of what could be actually useful

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah I still wouldn’t say an Apple Watch is a necessary purchase for me, or any fitness watch, but it’s far and away best on the market for its use case. Miles above Fitbit. Idk why folks would buy that unless they are purposefully paying for a simplified device, which many are.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Fedule posted:

I think it'd be pretty neat if Apple would Sherlock Gentler Streak and generally just introduce literally any nuance into their long term fitness tracking. I love Gentler's theory of TRIMP For Normal People, especially now that I am basically through my weight loss stage and into fitness maintenance although I think it should acknowledge kcals measured outside of workouts and that the subscription is a little much for what it actually gives you (which is the shocking ability to see the history of your streak and specific workout length suggestions as opposed to simply working out until the dot moves into the Good Zone and stopping before it hits the Bad Zone). I find Apple's rings kind of psychotic as an attempt to actually guide anyone towards anything that could be called fitness, like, meeting an unchanging arbitrary kcal goal every single day is an approach that serves literally nobody, whether they're a layabout or a literal pro athlete, like, it is astonishing that Apple has all this gear and software and doesn't seem to have any interest in suggesting to someone how much to work out, or at least acknowledging that rest days, injuries, illnesses and holidays exist. What is even with the stand and exercise goals anyway? Stand I at least get as far as posture is concerned but it seems disconnected from the rest of fitness and again the actual metric of clock hours with one continuous minute per day seems to me to be wildly arbitrary. If I were in charge I would close the rings... permanently.

Am I having a stroke?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ogmius815 posted:

I mean, watches get really, REALLY expensive guys.

Yeah but I think most of us get that. On a whim I bought a Invicta Pro Diver analog watch for dressy things (even though I never go to them, not even 1x a year) and because they’re nifty. It was like $100 with tax. Good watch.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Endless Mike posted:

Incidentally, I plugged my phone into my car and it gave a big ol alarm bell saying I had water in my USB-C port, so I got to drive in silence.

I’m in and out of the car a bit some days, and when it’s raining. So this happens not infrequently.

The water warning I believe can be bypassed via user prompt and the phone will connect and charge as normal. You can blow on the port and connector if you want to dry it off and limit possibility of a bad time.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

FuzzySlippers posted:

What's the best app/way to get sleep stats during your current sleep cycle? Like how long have I actually slept the last X hours? The default sleep seems focused on post-sleep analysis, but I've only used it a couple days.

That was basically all I used my old crappy android watch for. As an insomniac it gets hard to figure sometimes how much you've been actually asleep drifting in and out for hours. I could look at the watch sleep tracker and see while I've been in bed for X hours, I've actually had any kind of sleep for Y hours. It wasn't totally accurate, but it gave me a ballpark automatically. On days where I don't have to set an alarm I used the tracker to determine when I can say gently caress it and drag my corpse out of bed rather than tediously continue to try to sleep in a vain attempt to be less tired all day.

Health app. It doesn't show you realtime if that's what you're asking, not sure what app would, but then you're getting into "sleep" algorithms that are entirely unvetted unlike what Health will do.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

LPG Giant posted:

I feel like people should be fine not getting an immediate message back for the hour that you’re working out.

Sure there are people for whom this will be true. Myself included. But, the world works as it does because there are lotsa people who feel (inaccurately or accurately) that they need to be reachable in some form in a given hour. People with little kids, I dunno.

That's part of why the product is there.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What exactly is real-time sleep tracking?

The “phases”. It’s supported by fairly well accepted research by MDs with specific sensor machines over the years, and various wearables duplicate this “phase” sensing based on movement mainly, to determine if you are asleep and how asleep you are. This feature typically includes a “time asleep” timer, and is generally what real time sleep tracking means.

The science of sleep seems to have stagnated beyond edgelords lucid dreaming (I kid, I think lucid dreaming is cool) in recent years which is sad, I’m not sure we’ll know much more about it anytime soon.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 2, 2023

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

SlowBloke posted:

From a summary check on the product pages, ultra doesn't have a full glass back like a standard watch so you will have to keep the watch clean to avoid rashes if you have sensible skin.

Wut product pages?

https://support.apple.com/en-am/HT204665#:~:text=titanium%20case%2C%20sapphire%20crystal%2C-,ceramic%20back,-Apple%20Watch%20Series%209

Unless I am misreading, this doesn't indicate a difference in material construction in the backs for standard vs. Ultra watches. Whatever "ceramic" is, maybe there is a difference, but I didn't think any were full glass.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

eightysixed posted:

Apple buying Dark Sky was dumb imo

Idk, I think we had too many weather apps. I used to use more but Apple Weather is good enough for me now, and if I want extra fancy radar I open up the Weather.com app. Tim's got me.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Combat Pretzel posted:

When did the Recent Apps page behavior change, in that it'll only allow you half a second to react before making the last open app active, when entering the app stack from the watch face?

I kinda like it I guess. It reduces the time to switch back 1 app by 1 press? Otherwise no user impact besides the reaction time thing. Not sure when that changed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

xzzy posted:

That's normal for Apple products though. The pricing tiers are expertly laid out so the next bump up is "not that much more."

It is for sure an MBA way to increase profit once your products reach a certain level of pricing, and it includes decontenting the lower priced tiers to incentivize that next bump up. See a thousand years of history of Mercedes-Benz, BMW and the other German carmakers doing the same thing with their options, for things cars 1/3rd of the price include as standard.