Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Wanna get in on page one and say gently caress Apple for the bullshit they pulled with the Music app in OS4

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

enojy posted:

That's pretty much the Milanese Loop, swap the buckle with a magnet. Don't let that scare you, it works really well.

No, it doesn't, and it weakens with time. It's fine, not great. It loosens over the day and many of us have noted it needing to be adjusted and unlocked again with each adjustment.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It looks like carrot uses the dark sky data. And also on top of the $5 for the app, you have to buy “premium” for the watch alerts. Ehhhhh.

The data from dark sky isn't the issue; the quality of the app named 'dark sky' precludes its ability to display it well.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah that’s true. I was most balking at having to pay extra for watch notifications. I can’t find where it shows the IAP prices in this new and improved AppStore.

e: nm found the IAP. Is it a one time purchase or lame subscription?

Yearly sub

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Molten Llama posted:

Anyone else suddenly lose Watch “Hey Siri” and the Watch Siri settings after the last update? Series 0.

Yes, but I am running beta on the phone.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

I just got one too and wonder if there are a lot of alternate faces? Or is it restricted to whatever is on here.

There are only the faces Apple supplies.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Tambreet posted:

Does anyone know how the watch send SMS message? I've had a couple replies fail recently. In the first case, I was away from my phone, although both the watch and phone were on the same WiFi network. I figured the lack of direct connection was the issue though. Then today it failed again, even though both devices were next to each other and my network connection was fine. More annoyingly, it takes like a minute or two to fail out.

Even more annoyingly, the watch will tell you it failed and actually send, leading to duplicates when you don't double check the failure on the phone.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

The newest update enabled nightstand mode in any configuration on the charger, not just specifically a near perpendicular angle from the table surface on its side. You may be seeing the effect of that?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Deffo try a repair first. That solved a workout problem for me.

To clarify for QoP and second their experience; a software re-pair, not a repair at the store

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I want a vantablack watch band.

I'd buy the Vantablack Apple Watch Edition

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I did an obstacle course race this weekend and I had my sport band and watch with me for it. Ran and crawled through water and mud and the watch worked just fine (lost my heartbeat for a bit while it was mud covered but the workout/GPS tracking continued). One thing of note was during the 15’ dive into a pool the splash completely undid the sport loop. I felt it immediately and raised my hand so it wouldn’t slip off but that was a fun near lost-my-watch moment.

So try to avoid jumping or diving into water with a sport loop.

The instructions for the sport loop recommend the tail be facing a specific direction for swimming activities, if it is the loop and not the band we're talking about

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

The included instructions that no one reads because it's a watch band posted:

During water sports, attach the folded side of the band to the top of the Watch for a more secure fit

If this is how you were wearing it to begin with, then it's probably not suited for you in the pool.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

fourwood posted:

Yeah but the “complications” to switch between modes of the Astronomy face are gone. :(

Is there any way now to switch from, say, Earth to the orrery without having to go in and customize the watch face?

Just make two faces that are customized how you like and swipe between them?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Red Oktober posted:

Yes, just scroll down in the app.

Will that show if they download the app but don't own a watch, though?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

What use case/problem does Wikipedia on a tiny screen on your wrist solve?

Spoiling movies in the theater itself

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Deadguy2322 posted:

II feel so silly, but I honestly didn’t know that you could change the orientation of your crown without changing wrists. To be fair, you couldn’t when I got my Series 2. This is going to make life a lot less annoying!

I hate to break this to you, but I've had my crown orientation inward since series 0, this isn't new.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Tiger Woods winning a thing definitely is surprising, but I don't need any form of sports highlight as "breaking news." I can open the app for unimportant bullshit like that.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

stirlo posted:

;__… the clown has left my pipes since the latest beta update. I miss you, ghost clown.

I’m not on beta how do I meet the ghost clown

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

This is the longest 650 megabyte download I’ve had in a decade from one of the 5 largest tech companies in the world. I’ve set aside 2 hours 4 times now to implement this update and it never even stores the half-downloaded update file. What a loving joke.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Apple is doing the lords work, as their mobile devices always breaking during DST changes will be the thing that finally ends that useless practice.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Strong Sauce posted:

does anyone know if apple will incorporate the complications that are in darksky into the weather app once they discontinue darksky? i like them better than the weather ones...

I figure if they were going to they already would have, Apple has shown no issue with killing the good parts of things they subsume in the past.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

xzzy posted:

Really wish my watch would stop logging 'stand' dots when I've got sleep mode on. Figure it out, watch. That's just me flailing around in my sleep.

This is how you find out you sleepwalk

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Original_Z posted:

The book "After Steve" goes into great detail about the building of the watch. They originally wanted to make it fitness-focused, but Ive was obsessed with the idea of making it a fashion item and most of their marketing and design went into that. The sales of the first batch of watches were not up to expectations and although fashion magazines and the scene was interested in it at first, but fashion is a fickle beast and eventually the 'fad' was over. Tim Cook held an emergency meeting to figure out how to save the watch and they decided to go all-in on the fitness aspect, to great results. I don't think they're interested in going back to luxury fashion-focused watches.

Jony is such a hack poo poo

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I gotta be honest there is little to nothing of the features exclusive to new watches that I'm looking for so i'll get rid of this one when it stops working or the battery becomes untenable. I know some people who update the hardware compulsively but only one or two who actually get a usecase change out of it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

hypnophant posted:

low blood sugar is also basically a myth
I know it’s what you meant, but low blood sugar in non-diabetics is a myth. So many people seem to assume I am too fit to be diabetic and the only thing a real diabetic needs to worry about is high blood sugar because of the ways its presented in media.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Flowing Thot posted:

making steady progress with my exercise routine I've started and getting a big self esteem bump.

That is absolutely a high value life change :)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

If I set a timer on my HomePod I should be able to see it on my watch and phone. It’s dumb it doesn’t do that.

You can

In the home app

Then you go to the device page

It’s so simple and helpful

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

wooger posted:

Garmin connect is a thing, massively used by people with Garmin devices. It gives far more in-depth training analysis than Strava or apple Health.

I already use it to track cycling with my cycling computer, and it’d probably be easiest to grab a watch from them, just exploring whether the Apple Watch can do the same thing as I can get one so cheap.

That’s exactly what they’re saying; Garmin has their proprietary solution they use to justify purchasing their products so they have no impetus to implement interconnectivity

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

This is....completely incorrect.

The act of swimming (assuming you are using your arms) puts pressure on the clasp mechanism that is incredibly non-robust. It was regularly mentioned when the sport loops were released that you want to install them a different way while you are frequently swimming because there had been enough complaints about the silicon ones having water issues. Nice that yours have held up though.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

I've had a watch since they launched and I've gone through a few of them and several sport bands. Done plenty of swimming in pools and oceans. Never seen it or had anything close to that happening. I'm old and my memory is going so I can't remember ever hearing anything like what you mentioned. Do you have links I could read up on ?

I haven’t saved links and apparently there is now an ‘Ocean Band’ with the ultra that makes searching for such resources difficult. https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/ime2n1/comment/g404tuu/ is an as of yet undeleted reddit comment referencing the same thing.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

This one is referencing the fabric sport loop, which I could see working its way open if worn 'correctly.' Good to know regardless.

It is, but it also specifically mentions that fabric sport loop as the recommended-for-swimming option because that was the case at the time.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah I saw that which I found interesting because I can't find that from anywhere on the store page for the watch or the band. Maybe a support page has it somewhere?

It’s not there anymore now that they have a more suitable option to sell you for swimming (Ocean band with Ultra)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Or just live a more physically exciting life for a few weeks

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Fedule posted:

The way I think about it is, the Apple reading may be a ways off the real one but probably trends in the same way

If it cant get an accurate baseline any variance cant be trusted either.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

eightysixed posted:

Be honest, who read that diatribe?

i dropped out after Sherlock as a verb. I'm not tryina Sherlock what that means.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Do your watch and phone share focuses?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Ogmius815 posted:

See I knew it shouldn’t be doing that! It must be a bug or more likely a settings problem.

I don’t know. How to I confirm that?

(Watch app on iPhone) Settings > General > Focus

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

eightysixed posted:

I know we're in the Watch thread, but since we're switching over to phones for a second, does anyone have any idea why my phone says "Accessory Detected" 50% of the time in the past 2 weeks when I plug it in? Literally 50% - one out of every two. Real charger, real cord, same iPhone. What part is dying? :(
(Restart didn't help)

check your port for lint, if none then almost certainly the cord.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Fedule posted:

Not sure if watch thread question or iPhone thread question but question.

I went on a hour's walk but messed up the workout tracking and paused early on and forgot to unpause for like 40 minutes. Going into the workout data in Health I can see the pause and unpause events in the workout log and it feels like I should be able to just remove the first pause or add an unpause in but I can't seem to find a way to do that? Is it possible or should I just nuke the workout and write in a new one with eyeballed numbers? (It's a regular routine so I'm quite sure of these numbers)

the watch does additional work when the workout is unpaused, that work can't be retroactively done. you can delete the workout and eyeball it or just add the delta of what you're missing in measured effort to a secondary workout in the middle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Thank you! I completely forgot about the fitness app.

I’m kinda surprised there isn’t a thanksgiving award.

surprised there isn't myself. in the past there have been 5k rewards for thanksgiving, was the only time of the year my parents would actually do anything resembling "working out" to get that award.