Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

fourwood posted:

My S3 keeps crashing a lot lately. Could iOS 12 beta on my phone contribute to that? Is there a good restore-from-backup thing to do to a watch that might improve random quirky things like that?

It's possible. iOS 12 and WatchOS 5 come out next week, so if you can wait just a few days you'll probably be in the clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Over There posted:

Got a series 0 right now, probably going to be picking this one up.

WatchOS 5 doesn't support series 0, so that's a huge reason to upgrade right there.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Ordered an aluminum gold and a stainless steel black. Aluminum ships next week like they said. The SS won't ship until the week after though.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 14, 2018

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Are they different colors at least?

Aluminum is gold. SS is black.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Their documentation says the watch will be fine, but certain bands may be damaged by the salt water. Use a sport band.

Personally, I'd be more worried about sand possibly scratching up the watch as well as getting all in it and stuff.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Does the call automatically go through? I'm having flashbacks to the old Nextel push to talk poo poo. Is it like that?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I was at an Apple Store today and checked out the 44mm (mine is arriving Tuesday). They look loving huge. I can't wait to get mine.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Got my new SSB and holy moley this thing is beautiful and fast. I think this is the version where everything has been figured out and they’ve been able to execute what they envisioned for the Watch all along.

My only complaint is that the watch doesn’t come in a fancy plastic box like my S0 did.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I like info graph, but a lot of apps don't have complications for it yet so I haven't really switched over to it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

AppleCare for the Watch is still reasonably priced so I’d go for it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Batteries are one of those things they're more than likely to do an OOW repair. Losing a few bucks on a battery and labor is a drop in the bucket compared to the settlement if the battery explodes and you get injured.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'm looking for a sports band in a color that I can't find. I'm not sure if it's been discontinued or just never made. I'm looking at off-brand ones instead. Are there any recommended brands or manufacturers for generic bands?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I have an old black band and one of the new ones (it came with my S4). They both look the same.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

BoyBlunder posted:

I don't know - I've never done a warranty claim for any Apple products before and didn't know if it was a difficult process I should go through for a 2+ yr old product.

I guess I'll give it a shot then. The "turn to wake" feature has been wonky as hell too, so maybe there's some hardware thing happening :shrug:

They'll take care of you. There's always exceptions but 99.9% of the time it's smooth and painless.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: that’s weird to read about the 5.1 update bricking watches. Mine has been perfectly fine. I wonder what causes it? I already updated to 12.1 on my phone before I updated the watch.

I don't know if there're any correlation, but you should always make sure your phone is up to date before updating your Watch.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Running ios 12.1 and whatever the latest thats available for my series 0 stainless. It ha started losing the connection to the phone constantly, or sometimes showing that it's connected but nothing is getting updated (weather, calendar etc). I've restarted both devices. Right now the watch shows that it's connected which is bad because my phone is powered off.

Sooooo...

Suggestions? Time for a replacement? The screen is burned in something fierce, so I could probably talk myself into it, but the new watches offer literally nothing new feature-wise that I want or need.

I went from a S0 to a S4 and man, the difference is night and day. I would reallllllly recommend the 4. If you don't want to blow that much cash, do a 3. I wouldn't go below that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

Are there no 3rd-Party complications? I'd like to see Outlook (mostly for my calendar) and spotify.

A lot of 3rd party apps have complications. The problem is that many of them are only available on certain watch faces and on certain complication spots on the face.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

When is the update to enable the EKG supposed to be out? It’s weird the main feature of the series 4 isn’t working yet.

No clue. It's not even in the current beta.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Go to appleid.apple.com

Login with your iCloud account. You should see a list of all devices you're signed into. I bet your old watch is in there. Remove it. It should eventually disappear from that stuff in preferences.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

You can also do it on your phone if you search the settings for Apple ID.

I just looked and you're right! When did they add that stuff in?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

gregday posted:

Long shot here, but anyone happen to have a 42mm Rose Red sport band they would part with? I’ve been kicking myself for not grabbing one when they were available and they are impossible to find used.

I was in the same situation with a different color and ended up buying a generic one. It sucks but it's better than not having the color. I'm surprised there's no website or subreddit or something for trading them.

edit: Also, everything Apple got updates today except for the Watch. The update supposedly enables the ECG, so the delay probably means they still need to get it approved or cleared or whatever.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 5, 2018

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

gregday posted:

r/AppleBandMarket is a thing but even there Rose Red is exceptionally rare.

Checking this out now. Thanks!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

doingitwrong posted:

Woke up this morning with a fully charged watch 4. Should have paid attention when I saw it say 93% battery as I was getting in the shower but thought nothing of it. At 11:30am, got a notification that I had 10% battery left. Not sure how to even begin to diagnose what happened.

I'd say a hanging app or the hear rate sensor was on the whole time. Did you do a hard reset?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Guess this really isn't a watch question, but I'm starting to get pretty bad elbow pain from being on my phone for hours every day, and think I want to get a bluetooth earpiece. My question is are there any complications from having both the watch and an earpiece running side by side? I'd love to be able to leave my phone on my waist, see who's calling from my wrist, and take the call on my earpiece. Is this a doable setup? Any goon recommends on a good earpiece that can take quite a few hours of calls in a day?

Talk about burying the lede. I didn't know they still made hip holsters for phones.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

G5ANDY posted:

Mysterious huge scratch in my series 4, what’s this gonna cost me?

Stainless steel or aluminum?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

G5ANDY posted:

No. :,-( and it’s aluminium.

I don't really care how people spend their money, but to me, AppleCare is a must buy unless you're buying the item with a credit card that has some sort of insurance or extended warranty on purchases. Even then, AppleCare is a lot easier to actually use when it comes time to get a repair or replacement.

I also highly recommend the stainless steel versions. It does suck that there's no cheaper wifi only SS option, but the better case + screen is worth the upgrade.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

Is the screen ACTUALLY sapphire, as I’ve heard Apple uses a mix of glass and sapphire that can legally be called sapphire but doesn’t provide the same protection. I mean the case is slick as hell, especially the gold one, but that wasn’t enough to justify the cost.

It's the synthetic sapphire they use on the camera lenses and stuff. They were going to (and it could happen in the future) use it for the phone screens too, but that's a long story for another time.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Variable_H posted:

I’ve got an LTE series 4 watch and I’m thinking of picking up an android phone. I know non-cellular versions become completely useless when no longer paired to an iPhone, but what about the cellular models? Mine is pretty much used to check the current weather and the time, so not having access to some of the mirrored data from my iPhone won’t be that big of a deal.

You absolutely cannot setup or use a Watch without being paired to an iPhone.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Finally upgraded to a series 4 from my series 0. Holy crap this thing is so much better in every way.

I bought a 0 at launch, and didn't upgrade until the 4 when it launched, and yeah, it's amazing. I'm sure my post is here somewhere, but basically I said that the 4 is them finally achieving the vision they originally had for the product.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

WatchOS5 doesn't support S0 Watch so you may as well upgrade.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Hed posted:

Thanks guys. They agreed it was a swollen battery but since it was 5 months out of warranty they were going to take 7 business days and $79 (battery replacement cost) to fix it. After some epoxy and time in the bench vise, it is back in service and hopefully will last until whatever gets released next.

While I commend your ingenuity, you know a swollen battery isn't anything to gently caress with, especially one that's sitting on your wrist.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Series 4 have been popping up on Apple' refurb store. If you have a series 0 or looking for your first watch, I highly recommend it instead of the prior models.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Warbird posted:

I banged my series 3 on something like a dingus and scratched it a bit. Nothing too bad, but enough to be annoying. Is there anything that can be done to “buff out” the scratches? I’ve seen some people recommend the old toothpaste on a CD trick but that doesn’t seem like it would work here.

Did you get AppleCare? You could burn one of your replacements.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

gently caress no. No cases or screen protectors.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Will salt water corrode or otherwise gently caress up my watch? Black stainless steel s4 if that makes a difference.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I don't know about the Milanese but I bought a generic sports band and you can absolutely feel the difference.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

When Watch launched, way back when, I bought a Space Grey SS with the link band. Years later the band is still in amazing shape. The only wear is some very light scuffing on the bottom from where my wrist would rub against a desk or things like that. I still use the band with my new S4.

I wouldn't tell anyone how to spend their money, but sometimes, getting the good stuff is worth it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Happy ECG day, Canada.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I have the MLB At Bat complication turned on. I'll have to keep an eye on It later today and see how often/fast it updates.

As the Watch becomes less dependent on the iPhone to function, I would imagine this issue would slowly go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Is there a built in function (or another app) that will remind you to go take a walk, similar to the stand reminders?