Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know that was a bug for a while, but I haven't had that problem in ages.

But after a restart, you do need to launch the app to get the complication to update again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The sport loop is a velcro thing? Is the farbic (or whatever they're made of) soft at least?

Can anyone rec a good sport loop knockoff that they can vouch for?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

How does the Apple Watch nightstand mode know how to pick up taps? I just tap the corner of my bed and the watch on the nightstand knows I did something. Is it some super fine movement detector or mic listening for a thump? It’s really cool.

That really is the best part of nightstand mode. I just tap my nightstand too and it lights up. Smart of them to put it in super sensitive mode for that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

What bullshit.

Mine seem to be syncing? Had to plug the phone in, but now it's syncing. And I opened message on my mac and in that account's preference, I turned on messages in the cloud and told it to sync.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, forgot what thread I was in (too many tabs open). I wasn't even looking at my watch, just talking about iphone/mac syncing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm still on a S0, and probably will be until it decides to stop working, or ios doesn't support the version of watchos it's now stuck on. I really have no clue what a killer feature that would make me want to upgrade would be.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Violator posted:

Speed! I used a S0 until I happened to be able to upgrade to a S3 for a great deal and I couldn’t believe how much better the experience is with the faster watch. I can’t overstate how much better watchOS is when everything launches almost instantly.

The thing for me is I basically just use it for notifications and timers. Once in a while I'll reply to a message. I've yet to find an app with an interface that I enjoy using, or that is worth the tradeoff of not having to get my phone. Is siri quicker/more reliable on the s3?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m keeping the S3 until it breaks or gets murdered by software updates. I’m really, reall,y really looking forward to not having to say “hey siri” as a prompt anymore.

Wait why won't you have to say hey siri anymore?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looking at the Apple site, it appears my only option for a stainless now is series 4 cellular? Did they not make series 3 in stainless?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The video at the Timnote had someone opening a door with their watch. Is there an app that can do that? Can the watch mimic rfid?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t like to brag but I’m in pretty good shape.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wait how does it not tell time well?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Running ios 12.1 and whatever the latest thats available for my series 0 stainless. It ha started losing the connection to the phone constantly, or sometimes showing that it's connected but nothing is getting updated (weather, calendar etc). I've restarted both devices. Right now the watch shows that it's connected which is bad because my phone is powered off.

Sooooo...

Suggestions? Time for a replacement? The screen is burned in something fierce, so I could probably talk myself into it, but the new watches offer literally nothing new feature-wise that I want or need.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zwille posted:

Eh, get a 3 or a 4 or whatever is available at the store, test drive it for a week and see how you feel about it. If it's bleh, return it. It's gonna be a huge upgrade coming from a 0 but if you just don't care about the watch as a whole you might just as well call it quits.

Yeah it's just what I use it for...notifications, timers, hey siri...doesn't need much, and it sucks to have to spend that much just to keep doing that. I also don't want to downgrade to an aluminum model. I don't want to get rid of it either, since I have really come to rely on it for notifications. Maybe come december I'll shop for a used 3. Thanks.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've decided I want to replace my OG apple watch with a series 4. But I'm not in a hurry to do it, I'd rather wait for a sale. Is there a reliable way to be alerted to deals on products like this, or should I just comb the sales papers every week?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Set a slickdeals alert.

Done. Thanks, never used slickdeals.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It won't work because Apple are dicks

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally upgraded to a series 4 from my series 0. Holy crap this thing is so much better in every way.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Since there's about a million to choose from, what's a good black milanese band on Amazon?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Now that I have a watch with a good enough battery to wear all night, what’s the recommended sleep tracker? And do sleep trackers give you any useful data that helps you improve things or are they just a novelty?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

Series 4 have been popping up on Apple' refurb store. If you have a series 0 or looking for your first watch, I highly recommend it instead of the prior models.

Ditto. I replaced my 0 with a 4 and I’m so happy. Calling the first one series 0 is pretty appropriate since it feels like alpha software compared to the 4.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are the transparent parts glow in the dark? I have some knockoff bands that do that and it wasn’t even something that they were listed as doing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pants Donkey posted:

Best Buy does sell their own magnetic loop band for like 40 bucks if you want slightly more quality than the exact same thing as whatever fly-by-night operation is selling them for ten bucks on Amazon.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The nike style silicone band with all the holes is great for summer heat. Breathes better than solid silicone and doesn't absorb sweat like sport loop.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah at the very least series 4 should see a price drop so no reason not to wait at this point.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

I also wouldn't like it from a privacy standpoint.

You don't want other people to know what time it is?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pants Donkey posted:

Hasn’t Apple’s “sapphire” always been bullshit marketing speak and the thing is just glass?

But yes, the Stainless Steel models on the 4 had the sapphire display that for some reason scratches just like glass.

Are you saying apple was lying about using sapphire?

My stainless never scratched, and I hit a lot of poo poo with it. Up/downgraded to an aluminum series 4 which also still has no scratches.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's an artificial sapphire. YMMV of course, but the SS versions are very very durable. I rocked a S0 until I upgraded to a 4 and it was in near mint condition.

Well it's man-made of course but its still sapphire. It's not like they're telling you it's diamond and it's really zirconia.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ultimate Mango posted:

Holy poo poo I thought I was the only person to nose navigate the apple watch in bed.

Sup, fellow nose booper

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Virtue posted:

How much of a jump in battery life and responsiveness can I expect going from a S1 to an S5? I basically use my watch to check texts and get calendar notifications so I don't need an upgrade but the battery barely lasts a day and it's obnoxiously slow at times.

I went from an S0 to an S4 and it was night and day, in terms of speed and battery. S0 felt like a tech demo that wasn't really meant for public consumption. S4 feels like a mature product. I routinely get two days on battery, and charge it on the third morning while I get ready for work.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My watch keeps bugging me this morning to sign in to complete purchase, with my old apple id that I don't use anymore (though there may be apps on the phone/watch that were purchased with it). Why would it be asking me to purchase something though?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

So here's a weird one for you.

My Watch keeps prompting me to enter the password for my Apple ID. The problem is, it won't tell me which app or service wants it. I am not going to enter it until I know what wants it. Any way you can think for me to find out?

My iPhone isn't nagging me for anything nor is my iMac.

Is that the “to complete purchase” notification that keeps popping up? I’m getting that and even when I said duck it and tried to enter the password verification failed. It seems to ask me less than it did the first day but still randomly pops up. Hopefully they’ll address it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For the guy who was having the authenticate problem (which for me was caused by having apps installed using an apple id i no longer use), I think I found the solution. I went to the watch app on the phone and scrolled down, and past the installed apps there were apps trying to installed, with a spinning thingy next to them. I clicked stop on all of them and restarted my watch. It seems to have stopped the alerts.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

I just went from an OG S0 that was an explosion hazard to an S5. :tviv:

Is there any way to get Dew Point on a watch face? I have Dork Sky on the watch as well.

I'm curious because dew point is not something I've ever paid much attention to wrt weather forecasts. What do you do that makes dew point relevant? (not snark, genuine curiosity)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I used a sleep tracker for a while until I realized that the info it was giving me was meaningless to me. I know how long I slept. I know whether or not I slept well. And I prefer to sleep without a watch on.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

I have my watch on one of those Belkin stands:

It's pretty good. The super annoying thing is that it's on my work desk, and the desk is on carpet so it's not rock solid stable. This causes nightstand mode to go on if there's any knock on the desk.

I decided to turn off nightstand mode, but I just realized, I have a series 5. Given the AOD, is there any way to keep nightstand mode on all the time? I know this wasn't possible on previous watches but hoping the AOD changes the game.

Nightstand mode has always been super sensitive for me, but that's why i like it. I can just give my night stand a light tap and it lights up.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have an original (series zero I guess?) stainless. Is it worth anything? I hate to just recycle it but those first watches were dog slow and pretty awful at anything other than showing notifications. Not sure what to do with it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I tried multiple sleep trackers but found that 1. The data didn't help me at all and 2. I don't like sleeping with a watch on

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Agreed.

I don't know why, I've always worn it this way. Watches on my left hand just feel weird as hell. I'll try ever so often, but can't last more than a day with it on my left.

I'm mostly left-handed and wear it on my left. So I sympathize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought he meant he glued it after he replaced the failing battery but no he just tried to keep the pressure in lmao