Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
hey don't use the monster cards etc that come with the game if you can help it, they add a shitload of set-up time and the constant reshuffling is bad. Instead, use this webapp: https://johreh.github.io/gloomycompanion/

- a gloomhaven vet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Can anyone think of a way to make the health/exp dials less 'loose'? Even a slight jostle seems to change what the number was on, which is normally ok because you can remember, but for the times you forget it would be nice if they were a little tighter.

SOP for that kind of thing is to get some construction paper and wedge it in there.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Really your character's randomly drawn motivation card is more of a deciding factor in your rp than anything else.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

philihp posted:

I have the kill-20-things mission too... do I have to get the killing blow on them? Kinda feels like I should.
you do. good luck! The thiefrat can easily be built for that kind of lethality, thankfully.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
You can build cragheart to work as a pretty effective disabler/tank. he's got the HP for it. Same with the brute. The shield on the mindthief, on the other hand, is really only there for special circumstances.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

this is off topic but is that game actually good?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
it's wild how useful that iron helmet is. any character that gears up to tank tends to have it for at least a little while. too bad it has to compete with the goggles for AoE classes. The goggles are just too useful for (mild strategy spoiler) guaranteeing an entire round's worth of hits

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for here.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i'd judge y'all but i was part of the bgg thread that did the same thing for the first shipement.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
what's crazy about this game is that I feel like its so rich and complex and interesting but I'm only on like the second or so level of prosperity for the town, there's no telling how interesting and useful the next few layers of unlocks will be.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
definitely part of the fun of cragheart is his huge set of sweeping AoE moves and positioning game with his rocks, paired with one of the worst capabilities to control their own initiative in the game.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Our group role plays the crap out of our characters. RP is all in your imagination. Take the loose description given on the character card, add in personal goal and just make up whatever else you want. It's fun and owns and makes our sessions a lot more fun.

I agree with you on PQs being public knowledge. We're at the point where we're coordinating retirements and it's been good times.

My Mindthief just needs a few more specific enemy kills to retire and unlock Cthulu. I'm pretty hype since I'm the last character of our original party to retire. The class is still fun as heck but I want to try something new.

mindthief -> cthulhu face is a p. good transition, that was my first as well.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

I ride bikes all day posted:

Random Scenarios count as side quests. We started dreading the normal way so much that we retired our Spellweaver via these. Guest designed scenarios are poo poo/

yeah every single geust scenario is Bad

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i think the actual class is done by isaac though so probably just pick it up for the class.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Anyone ever use Backup Ammunition? I find I rarely have a use for it. But I am kinda of melee oriented with my cragheart.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
imo this really buries the lede. it's got 4 NEW classes compatible with your current gloomhaven set!!!!

One is a Necromancer!!!!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
yea that's why i said it was burying the lede.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
16 new characters is a lot of design space to cover, wow.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
one of the guys in my group right now is playing sun and it is a good time. another one just picked up music note and im having the time of my life playing off of that combo with three spears.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The typo is fixed in later versions, for what it's worth.

Also that initiative stuff in Frosthaven is really not presented intuitively.

Yeah LMAO it's one of those " no real ux person would have let this get past the very first revision"

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
FH looks great, too. UX issues aside (which plague every Childres game) the theme of the new classes seems to be "has a resource to manage" which is nice if you've pretty much solved the hand management puzzle of the first game.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
one thing to keep in mind is that a lot of online gloomhaven charOp is (perhaps overly) concerned with optimization in a vacuum - most guides are explicitly not about what you synergize with or how to synergize. So most advice about character builds is oriented towards their strongest personal single damage output OR filling in to exactly the role that the class is obviously designed for (tank for brute or support for tinker, to name some basic classes.)

IT's a little weird that its like that because gloomhaven is very different from like diablo ii or something where you're always going to be playing with the same people more or less, but I think the threat of spoiling unrelated classes in a given class guide is the biggest driver of that problem. You can't really say X item or Y class goes great with Z because of the threat of spoilers.

Also online gloomhaven charop has a weird and specific grudge against summons and elements. Ignore that tbh, they're mostly wrong about the relative worth of both summons and the relative ease of planning element use.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

They similarly say retaliate sucks despite the existence of builds that use retaliate to absolutely loving shred enemies

ah yes thank you i was sitting here thinking "There's a third thing they hate for some reason" but I couldn't remember what it was.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
oh btw newer players, I can't remember if stamina potions have been nerfed in the newer editions of gloomhaven but they should all recover 1 less card than printed if the minor stamina potion says "recover 2 cards."

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
fair but imo it really ought to be what you use because the game is warped pretty badly without that change.

also: gloomhaven helper will make your combats 5x faster. I also use gloomhaven campaign tracker for all of my campaign things + character sheets. And finally the https://dmungin.github.io/gloomhaven-scenario-tree-ng/ gloomhaven secnario tree for an easy to see track of what scenarios you've unlocked.

the helper is in the OP but deserves a shout-out because wow its good.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 11, 2019

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
What difficulty are you playing your scenarios on?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Congrats on unlocking my favorite class!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the funniest thing about three spears is that i got that class with the get exhausted quest. So I wound up doing decent damage in the first few rooms of whatever scenario we were in and then going off like a nuke in the last one, particularly with the bottom part of the big AoE bomb card.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
IMO people overvalue the helmet because of the spikiness of its damage reduction. Spikes are nice to avoid qualitatively but quantitatively other head slot items can do much more to prevent damage, like the goggles.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

There are definitely better helmets overall but if you're in a 4 player group and you're the Brute, giving the goggles to 2 of your ranged AOE capable guys is probably better and the helmet is cheap until you unlock something better or just want to save for other items

yea fair. Anecdotally I've seen some players fail to consider the statistical implications though versus similarly defensively oriented helmets.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Gloomhaven's shining achievement is that it gives you a real action economy and a persistently difficult decision to make each round with how its card play works. Everything else about it is secondary - its sins are innumerable:

The choose A/B options blind cards are bad, most of the interaction with gloomhaven is bad, the writing is very slightly below average for an rpg, some of the monsters are degenerate in how they treat the board state (slimes), the encounter design is very uneven in the guest scenarios, the AI system leads to gaming certain encounters in dissatisfying ways, the metaprogression through gloomhaven's item market is glacially slow, locking players out of content feels terrible, its possible to wind up with nothing to do but grind near the end of the campaign, the personal quests vary extremely wildly in difficulty to execute, certain classes bust things open, its hard for players to continually play a class in the archetype they prefer due to how unlocks work, the way elements work is unintuitive for most players, new characters often start out as a liability on a party due to lack of equipment, the map board is an afterthought that can and should be replaced by an app, handling the monsters without an app is an outrageous chore.

It's still an incredible game and definitely the best of its kind.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Quite enjoying the switch from three Spears (why isn't that symbol called antifa) to lightning bolt. Enjoying being highly incentivized to play on the knife's edge

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
man, did my first triangles today. that class feels amazing when there's demons around. Also ramming into that class with 5 unlocks under my belt (i am the group min-maxer for retirements) makes my modifier deck thicc

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the TTS mod is surprisingly good, to be honest. far better than playing on the table without any aids and equivalent or better than playing with the gloomhaven tracker.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
This is just highlighting to me how my Gloomhaven group hasn't met since corona ☹️ we had been consistently meeting once a week for 6 months!!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Actually it's very bad

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
multiplayer is now in the digital version of gloomhaven, for those of you who don't like using TTS and want to game with people without rona risk https://store.steampowered.com/app/780290/Gloomhaven/

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
do you know if there would be any harm in dropping these characters into gloomhaven scenarios? i'm jonesin' for new content.

dwarf74 posted:

FYI since Isaac announced it on a stream -

Friday's update is going to feature the Frosthaven starters' character sheets, perks, masteries, etc. I'm actually really excited about it because the new perk stuff is awesome.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
yea Lightning Bolts owns so much. Gives me great hope that it's Isaac's fav. class. Makes me think there'll be more risk/reward balancing acts like that in FH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Warden posted:

Nah, Bolts is fine. It's Eclipse that's even more broken in digital (perfect knowledge of initiative order, ahoy).

That's a loss, and a one that required you to have taken 21 points of damage. Also, there's nothing more infuriating than pulling a rolling +2 and a miss when doing that with advantage.

they should port the new advantage rules in from FH to GH digital.