Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Blisster posted:

Man this looks so cool, but I'm not sure I can justify buying yet another big board game considering how rarely I make it out to gaming nights these days.

Who am I kidding? I will probably pick it up anyway.

Set up gaming night at your own house on a different day, it's what I did. Also you don't want to be lugging this thing around. Make people come to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm guessing the majority of those people have never used crowdfunding before.

This has been by far the most communication I've ever seen from a board game Kickstarter. I've had stuff stuck in limbo with no communication for months on end before - not to mention a few that basically disappeared without delivering anything to anyone. Issac has even said which container ships the games are coming over from China on, for gently caress's sake.

Yeah, it sucks that not everyone is getting them day one, but we're talking tens of thousands of copies to dozens of countries. The fact that just about everyone should get them within a span of a month is pretty amazing.

Yeah Isaac is pretty communicative. The Mythic: Pantheon guys are really good too, they give an update every single Wednesday, and it appears that it will actually arrive on time, which is crazy.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Impermanent posted:

it's wild how useful that iron helmet is. any character that gears up to tank tends to have it for at least a little while. too bad it has to compete with the goggles for AoE classes. The goggles are just too useful for (mild strategy spoiler) guaranteeing an entire round's worth of hits

The Iron Helmet is pretty great, while playing the Sun Class it was a good starting item. I lucked into a different head item that heals me 1 each time I kill something though, and it's amazing at keeping me constantly topped off.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

So with the eventual arrival of this behemoth...

(1) Is the YASS setup adequate? I am down with only spending like $20 more on a storage setup, so I'm intrigued. Especially when I'll also be spending money on...

(2) Sleeves. Where are you folks getting sleeves? Mayday is out of their incredibly inexpensive Euro Mini sleeves, so I'm looking for something else cheap. :)

I went with Fantasy Flight sleeves, and only sleeve the modifiers, monster ability cards, and currently used items of the small cards, and only sleeved the currently used class ability and objectives of the large cards.
They're really nice sleeves that hold up well.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I'm sad I don't get to play tonight because of various thanksgiving commitments.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

What sort of glue spray are people using? I haven’t unpacked mine yet, but it sounds like I should be ready.

I got a first edition so nothing was wrong with mine, but 3M makes good stuff.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

ketchup vs catsup posted:

some later classes are particularly reliant on enhancements. the (symbol spoiler) sun class in particular.

also curse is one of the 3 most important abilities in the game.

I'm really looking forward to upgrading the Shield 1 for the whole game to Shield 2 card for that class. I'm not sure what else to upgrade at the moment.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Aston posted:

I’ve got this one as well, from reading about the game it looks harder than some of the others and I expect will depend on doing the right scenarios to get the treasure you need. I saw someone said that they had this goal and ended up just retiring after completing 2/3rds of it because they were behind everyone else, but I’m hopeful they were just unlucky. It does feel a lot more rng dependent than some of the others.

The issue is really unlocking them, not completing them. They're not any more difficult than a normal mission, but unlocking them requires other people to finish their quests or you to get lucky with road/city events. We've had everyone retire at least once and I think we've only unlocked 4 side missions.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

There's a Scenario flowchart available here (shows only numbers, not names) https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/143772/scenario-flowchart. We find it quite useful in planning our adventures.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Photux posted:

Has anyone else played the triforce class? She's cool, but I'm really struggling. I'm playing with one other person, whose class produces almost no elements. I'm also low level, so I haven't added many elements to my deck, and because there aren't tons of enemies (due to only two players) I'm not doing many big multi-target attacks to draw elements from the deck. I end up with a lot of lame turns. Feels like this is just a bad party composition and there's not much I can do about it. I guess I'll turn the difficulty down to easy, but it's going to be a long time before we unlock our any more characters.

One of my friends just started the Triforce class, and is having a blast. Have you tried looking at the class guide on reddit? https://www.reddit.com/r/Gloomhaven/comments/6yavlb/triforce_class_guide_class_16_spoiler/ She's been enjoying the class much much more than her previous Tinkerer class,
as actually dealing damage is the thing she likes the most.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Frush posted:

We decided to share the personal goals for the characters. The scoundrel got the best one I've heard of; Exhaust 12 times. It's basically a timer

You can share the personal goals, it doesn't say you can't. You aren't supposed to share the in-mission goals (for the check marks) (they're secret) (we do anyway because we like working with each other).

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Photux posted:

How many characters are in your party, and what level is the Triforce character? Triforce discussion: And do the other characters produce elements? At my low level, I don't have any non-loss cards that produce multiple elements, and my modifier deck doesn't have many elements in it, so it's rare for more than one element to be on the board at a time. So if I want to keep elements available, I have to keep playing "move 2+element" as my bottom action, which is pretty weak. And then whatever element I generate this way locks in exactly which card I have to attack with next turn if I want to do more than 1 or 2 damage. And even if I use that one card that needs the right element, I still only do an unimpressive three damage. I'm hoping we get a scenario with element-generating enemies soon, so I can get a sense of what the Elementalist is capable of. But for now, it just isn't working at all. A low level elementalist is just not self-sufficient.

We have 4 players in my party, but she's also operated at 3 player counts. She's currently lvl 4, I think, and was lucky with getting two nice items that work really well with her from chests. We've got reliable Sun and Leaf creation in the party as well as the Triforce's generations. We've been playing at Scenario level 3 lately.

Frush posted:

Oh, we know. But I can see why people would do it either way. My personal goal is kill 15 vermlings which I think will be fairly easy overall.

We opened up the Three Spears class, and the quest he kept was to re-open the same class by owning a ridiculous number of items and he managed it in 5 missions, just looting the hell out of everything he could. The player didn't really want to play that class, now he's got a new Cragheart and is having a much better time.

OgreNoah fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 5, 2017

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Ojetor posted:

Getting antsy about my upgrade pack. Anyone in the US get theirs yet?

Nope! Not a whisper.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

please knock Mom! posted:

Invisibility is so unbelievably busted that I'm really thankful there's no easy way to abuse it for multiple rounds at a time. We effectively kept 5 rending drakes penned up while slowly whittling them down due to an invis blocker.

Rending Drakes can fly over people, you may have missed that. We did the first time we fought them.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

Page 14 says figures can move through obstacles with a Flying movement. If a monster can fly, are all their movements Flying?

Yes.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Retired my level 8 Sun class tonight to open up the Moon class, excited to try something completely different!

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I can tell you that Sun is loving amazing, and a wonderful add to any party.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

We did scenario 72 last night, and it was a doozy. We barely scraped by, so many oozes, probably killed about 20-25 oozes that kept spawning, then splitting, then healing, and we'd kill a few, and then they'd split again! None of us were using classes with AOEs, which I feel is going to be an issue going forth. I was the only person left not exhausted at the end, and that was only because I kept turning invisible with Eclipse class so I couldn't be killed. Closest we've come to actually losing a mission.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

silvergoose posted:

My wife and I decided, in the interest of having fun, that if a questline closed some missions that we could have done first, we can just...go do them, gently caress it. Scenarios are the main content in the game.

We've been doing this, because we aren't going to do a second playthrough, but we do want to see all the content.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

KPC_Mammon posted:

Eclipse/Moon solo mission: I just beat it without drawing a single modifier card or taking any damage. This class is amazing once you have the requisite items.

What are the items? I just unlocked it and was having a bit of trouble actually doing things.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Ah, I've got all those except the Wand, which we haven't unlocked yet. The double stamina potions is a great play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

We played Scenario 18 last night, it was a doozy. Playing as two-mini, eclipse and saw, Eclipse (me) stayed invisible most of the time, but Saw and Bear got continuously poisoned enough that the two-mini had to discard like 6 cards to not die, so they exhausted almost as soon as we opened the final room. The most harrowing mission yet.