Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the storage is fine enough, the advantage to organizers it that it cuts out significant amounts of setup time each game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I haven't got my copy yet, but what happens when you fail a scenario? Do you just replay it with full knowledge of whats ahead?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Well I feel sad enough as it is, so I'll be sure to not fail any missions.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ShaneB posted:

Sooooo.... people without the game yet. What are you playing in the mean time to take the edge off?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839947

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Impermanent posted:

this is off topic but is that game actually good?

well I took the time to write a massive effort OP for it and have ~300 hours logged in it, so i like it yeah.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
that's gorgeous, but i live in a tiny apartment and have no work space so i shalln't be doing the same for mine. still, super nice.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i remember people recommending just leaving the game set up between sessions since setup/takedown is a big pain, but how much does an organizer alleviate that? i ask because there's no way my roommate would be fine with me monopolizing our only table for an indefinite period of time, and honestly i'll probably end up playing at places that aren't my house semi-regularly.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is anyone using the optional rule of replacing your crit/miss cards with +0s? How's that working out?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
well, it's a game, so of course it's gamey

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i spent hours today constructing the broken token insert, holy moly my hands hurt. tomorrow i'll actually get started on the game proper

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Just make sure one person has a really lovely time

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i just finished punching everything, putting stuff in the appropriate broken token trays, and reboxing the thing. it's super nice, but i gotta say i'm pretty peeved that there's nowhere to put 4 of the 6 starting class boxes. i guess they assumed you'd [a] always be playing with 4 players and [b] have already decided what classes to play before even playing, but now i gotta find somewhere to store these until i can actually play (and possibly longer if i don't get 4 players).

otherwise very satisfied, and excited to get people together after this next week.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Mine was either perfect or had an error too small to notice during punch-out. Obviously there's more problems than we'd like there to be, but I wouldn't stress over unopened product.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think I'm starting my campaign tomorrow, is there anything beyond what's mentioned in the first time guide I should really know? I've played the game before on TSS so I know how combat works mechanically and such, I'm mostly just trying to make sure I don't forget something stupid.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Finally started playing, did Scenarios 1 and 2. Group is a Tinkerer, Cragheart, and Brute. I feel like we're light on burst but otherwise it's a fun comp. Don't have much to say that hasn't been said already, game was good, setup not so much (we literally did city stuff in a separate room lol), but all and all a good time.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I want to know what the Saw class is so badly, but unfortunately none of my group will be unlocking it anytime soon.

So I assume you can't use Kill effects on bosses, but I don't actually know why by the rules. I know Bosses are considered a unique enemy type but I don't remember the Kill card I saw specifying in a way that implied it didn't affect bosses. Maybe you can Kill them??

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Aston posted:

The two kill cards I've seen do specify what you can kill with them: one is the Brute's Fatal Advance which kills a normal enemy, so not a boss, the other is the Tinkerer's Disintegration Ray which kills enemies with 5 HP or less, so probably not a boss until it's on its last legs anyway.

Ah ok, it was the first one and I guess my friend misquoted it to me. Thanks.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
iirc they're available for free on his website (or maybe on BGG) as PDFs, the kickstarter version was just getting them in a physical print out. which now that I have it probably wasn't worth it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Some Numbers posted:

ITS HERE!!!!!!!

im so glad

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Tinkerer in general is not great for 2-person parties, Scoundrel requires an ally to be in melee range to really get much value from their kit. Otherwise I think you're good.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I actually didn't realize stopping on a door merely paused your movement rather than ending it. Fortunately it hasn't been an issue for us yet but that's good to know

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
How were the Kickstarter scenarios? I'm not looking to do them anytime soon but I'd like to know if they're worth messing with eventually aside from just being More Stuff.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm seriously THIS close to just using coins for any of the standees that have multiples of a type, it's too big of a pain to fit them all back in their Broken Token boxes again after dumping them out and I'm already using the app for monster decks anyway

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What happens in the event something is stunned midway through its turn, such as walking onto a Stun trap? Does the turn end immediately but next turn is fine? Does it end immediately and the next turn is forfeit?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My limited experience with Cragheart is that their initiative is middling barring a few superstars, and their movement is similar. The only reason I wouldn't call them slow is because I don't know how they compare to the classes I haven't seen, but compared to those I have they're certainly trailing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lorini posted:

Quick question, do you use a separate monster attack modifier for each monster?

Nope. Each monster has its own ability deck that you flip from at the start of the turn (per monster type, not each individual standee), but every time any monster attacks you flip from a shared attack modifier deck.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

head58 posted:

Been F5ing the ups tracker all day and my big Gloomhaven box just arrived...containing the copy of the game I got for a friend but not my dials/minis/new rulebook. Have those odds and ends shipments gone out yet?

All that stuff is inside the Gloomhaven box, or should be.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Could someone detail exactly how traps work for me? My group's Tinkerer keeps putting them down and I'm aware those cards aren't very good but I still feel like I'm doing them wrong.

Can you put traps in chokepoints? They don't actually block it off but I'm not sure. Related, are there any circumstances where a monster will walk onto a trap?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My group probably got phenomenally lucky, but we actually cleaned up Scenario 2 quite easily, especially compared to Scenarios 1 and 3, and even had time to leisurely stroll over and loot the treasure without running any notable risk. Basically the boss almost immediately opened all four doors, meaning the last two were completely devoid of enemies, and we were able to get a poison on him early so he just ended up eating a lot of damage and dying before doing anything noteworthy. I think he only actually attacked us twice, and once he was across the room and couldn't hit anyone. Meanwhile the corpses barely moved out of their rooms so we weren't ever taking enough damage to sacrifice cards. And regarding that treasure, our Brute was fortunate enough to loot it and dang that is a Good Treasure.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hauki posted:

re treasure: wasn't it just 10 gold?

e: disregard

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 16, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Ah well okay, good to know. Fortunately it only got used once in the next session and I'm not sure how big of a difference it made. Thanks.

e: also I doubt it matters but I edited my post to prevent spoilers, sorry to anyone who got owned by my mistake

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 16, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
su&sd did their thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKc5XhvkC8M

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I remember reading that, when the town hits a Prosperity level, all new characters start at that level and all existing characters are bumped to that level. I assume that means you set your exp for those existing characters to the minimum for the next level (and thus "lose" any exp you had gained so far)?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

King of Bleh posted:

One player had a battle goal to keep one enemy on the board for every round which led to some extremely risky play which probably contributed to our loss. Once this became public knowledge, an internal schism developed on whether to help him or block him from completing it.

I got that one in a later scenario, scenario three, easiest two checkmarks of my life.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

jng2058 posted:

One takeaway from the video review was their recommendation that the game's best with two or three players instead of four. Is that something those of you who've played the game agree with, or was that localized to Matt and his group?

I've played three scenarios so far, two with 3 people and one with 4 people. The 3-person game was definitely faster but some of that might be because of the scenarios involved, and some of it was definitely because of the fourth player not really getting the game and also not really meshing with the play pattern of the other people (they suggested going invisible turn one on their Scoundrel and spending 4-5 turns sneaking across the map to get a treasure, explaining that it'd be in-character).

It's a small and weird enough sample where I can't say that three is better than four in general or anything, but it's pretty hard to dispute that it runs quicker so if that matters to you then yeah. I can definitely see what Matt was talking about regarding four seeming more chaotic though, there's just more opportunities for your planned action to not work out. Again, arguably good or bad depending on the group.

e: another advantage of 3p is that you'll never have a tie when deciding road events

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 17, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Well fortunately we didn't let them do it anyway because it would have been phenomenally stupid to spend 5 turns doing nothing, but good to know.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Scenario 12: Holy loving god that thing is a logistical nightmare. I don't have a huge table and this one really pushed our table-tetris skills to a new level - six unique monster types is a huge pain in the rear end. One of my players was completely disengaged by the time we got to the third room with the huge amount of bookkeeping necessary (though I think she sorta hated the idea of the mission itself since it involved sprinting past a bunch of stuff) and I can't really blame her. The whole thing took loving forever.

That said, everyone liked the friendly NPC twist but we all agreed it'd be better going forward if the mechanic only showed up as like, a single elite npc who showed up in the main room to help. It just wasn't satisfying needing to track a bunch of poo poo from two rooms ago that doesn't matter (except it does because of the standee limit and the boss' ability).

Sadly group is on break through the holidays but at least we managed to conclude a mini-arc first.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also I feel stupid asking this but uh, what are the check boxes in the back of the booklet for? I noticed they say things like "16: Collect [item name]", but I dont remember any of the scenarios referencing these so far so has it just not come up? The text before them implies that I'm not even supposed to be reading them but I also feel like I'm missing a mechanic.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Oh I see, I thought you took that numbered item from the supply. Fortunately that's only like, two chests at this point, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Frush posted:

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the jargon here, what is the 'true damage' build?

Taking cards that just do damage automatically, rather than being tied to an attack. I don't have my cards in front of me but for instance the Cragheart card that has a bottom with "Move 2, all adjacent enemies and allies take 1 damage". This is good because this damage ignores Shields.

Question about parties - If I have a 4-person party and myself and one other person from that party decide to run a scenario together (with our normal characters), are we still part of that same party or is it technically a different one?