Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's official on MPJ. Tough break for the kid.

https://twitter.com/MizzouHoops/status/933050756189638656

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

xbilkis posted:

Does he realistically fall much further than 5-6 if he's healthy post-surgery? I'm skeptical that it'd be worth waiting another year to get a second NBA contract, but I do want to believe there's a chance he comes back

I can't see why he'd come back. As long as scouts are convinced he's healthy and passes all physicals, he's not going to slip far. Wouldn't be worth risking another year of college ball and the opportunity cost.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still can’t tell if Pitino was just having his guys go easy and let it get too close or he just did not know how to coach against three players.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Ted posted:

I literally cannot comprehend how something like this would happen.

It was amazing. They had a shot to tie it late. The damnedest thing I’ve ever seen. Minnesota looked like they had no clue what to do. 5 on 3 and they were taking contested shots.

Edit: they also took a lot of low EV long 2 point jumpers.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 26, 2017

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
TV Teddy up to his old tricks last night. Or maybe new ones actually.

https://twitter.com/rixryd/status/950907712644272128

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

elentar posted:

UVA-NC State game last night almost exactly as expected: two hours of watching a snake devour and digest a stunned mouse.

Virginia is very good. Devon Hall in particular is having a phenomenal year.

NC State meanwhile went 2-3 against the toughest start to a conference schedule in the country. Doesn’t ease up much from here but it could’ve been a lot worse.

Game also gave us this clip of Jack Salt killing a guy by standing still

https://i.imgur.com/42b0Shh.gifv

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If UVA can somehow manage to win their next two games, they’ll have a 3 game lead in the ACC standings with 8 games to go. Louisville is doable. I’ll believe they can beat Duke at Cameron when it happens.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

elentar posted:

Virginia is getting hammered by the flu right now apparently; combined with the ankle sprain DeAndre Hunter had in the Duke game it's possible they'll only dress 6 or 7 scholarship players against current 2nd-place ACC team Louisville. Right now the worst off are Mamadi Diakite, whose minutes are replaceable, and Devon Hall, whose aren't.

Gonna be the Jay Huff and Marco Anthony show.

Also, if it IS the Jay Huff and Marco Anthony show, I predict a 20 point loss.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If UVA can somehow manage to win their next two games, they’ll have a 3 game lead in the ACC standings with 8 games to go. Louisville is doable. I’ll believe they can beat Duke at Cameron when it happens.

So this happened. Pretty remarkable to have this kind of lead in the standings. Especially for a team that started the season unranked and picked to finish 6th in the league.

The moral of the story is sometimes guys transfer because there’s better talent behind them and their minutes are gonna dwindle if they stay.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think every Virginia fan's hopes for a 1 seed are tempered by an overwhelming fear of losing that opening game. If not, they haven't followed Virginia sports for long enough.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

elentar posted:

I haven't looked real close at ESPN's BPI but I would think in simple terms what they mean is, what's the likelihood of a team winning most of their remaining games and also taking their conference tournament? If either Tennessee or Auburn take the SECT and only drop a game or two otherwise, they're in very solid shape. Likewise if Duke recovers to blitz the rest of their schedule bar a game or two and takes the ACCT, then they're probably going to get that nod even with the St. John's loss. Probably the Big XII is just too balanced, with no one at a high enough peak, to put up 1-seed numbers in conference.

I also think it might be underestimating Cincy, but they still have to go to SMU, Houston, and Wichita State, plus beat Wichita in Cincy. And they'll likely need to run all but one of those plus the American Tournament to have any shot.

If Texas Tech survives the next three weeks with anywhere near a 1-seed profile, I will be supremely impressed. Other than maybe the next one at home to Iowa State, there's just no gimme games in conference.

I believe Cincy is still, along with Virginia, the only teams not to have lost to an unranked team this season.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
News: If Virginia wins today they will be ranked #1 for the first time since 1982

Views: Oh god I’m gonna throw up

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

According to an article I just read, if they win today they "could" be ranked #1. I thought that was cute. Villanova might pick up a few #1 votes depending on how this Butler game finishes out, but I think even that is a little charitable.

But yeah, I'm legitimately nervous.

There will be some Big Ten hack that gives Michigan St. a #1 vote if they win. But I can't imagine a scenario in which UVA wins and doesn't take over #1.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I've drat near given myself sodium poisoning from drinking so many Michigan State tears.

I might enjoy the saltiness from VT fans who think they dashed our hope of a #1 ranking even more.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is losing to St. John's worse than losing to Va Tech?

St. Johns is 72 on Kenpom right now v 40 for VT. Granted this is after their respective wins, but still.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kayakyakr posted:

I know that if my team (Texas Tech) made it to #1 sometime before the season ended (only chance of that happening is chaos + we win out), I would be ridiculously ecstatic

I would think as long as you're not a jaded blue blood fan, you get why it's a big deal. Sure it's just a moment in time that doesn't get you anything, but it sure is nice when a team you root for is sitting at the top.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mdemone posted:

Aw hell, I don't care. Just makes the win look better on paper, if anything.

I have no illusions about the lowly social status that VT basketball has earned over the last quarter century. I'll take a win over a highly-ranked program any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Yeah like it or not, both teams are tied to each other now. We need VT not to poo poo the bed, because it will make our loss worse. You want UVA to win because it makes you win even better.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

elentar posted:

I’m happy that I inherited Virginia fandom late in life, and then because UVA signed my checks. Family has history with VT and I don’t really have it in me to properly hate a Hokie team without a Vick on it. Much rather drop a game to them than to the blues.

I really like Buzz Williams and I'm one of those weirdo UVA fans who thinks a strong VT is good for the state and makes for a more entertaining rivalry.

I wish our football teams still had what was recognizable as an actual rivalry, instead of the annual crapfest the Hoos put on the field. Thank god for hoops.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nur_Neerg posted:

You really need to get rid of Mendy to have much of a shot there.

I’m not convinced either way with him yet, but our OC Anae is garbage.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

Cuonzo Martin has to be in coach of the year considerations right? Going from the absolute mess Kim Anderson left, to Michael Porter Jr. being out for most of the year, to all of their PGs leaving or being dismissed, the Tigers are almost a lock for the tournament barring a huge collapse down the stretch.

Talking in conference, or national? Because nationally, Tony Bennett needs to be in the discussion at least, to go from unranked preseason (picked 6th in conference) to current #1/overall #1 seed.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

like what could the NCAA even do if they just left it up and said they were still the champs? They aren't the cops they can't come take your banner. Just leave it and let the record book say whatever it is going to say

The NCAA order includes removal of the banners and listings of the vacated championships in media guides, etc. So if they didn't do it, they would be in violation and in line for further penalties. Ultimately, if they want to play NCAA basketball, they have to take down the banners.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tony Bennett got the NBC, USA Today, and NCAA.com (Andy Katz?) National COY awards. The bonuses are stacking up for him.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chief McHeath posted:

That's kind of crazy that UNC hadn't beaten Duke in the ACCT in 20 years.

Grayson Allen tripped a guy by jabbing his rear end out into him and got a flagrant lol.

Video of the incident:

https://twitter.com/kevantrich/status/972322066769694721

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
News: Lots of rumors that DeAndre Hunter for UVA broke his wrist and will have surgery. UVA never comments on this stuff until they have to, so Virginia fans get to worry and stress. Hopefully not true but there sure seems to be a lot of smoke.

View: gently caress.

edit: Yep. https://twitter.com/UVAMensHoops/status/973665136144723972

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 13, 2018

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really wanted Tubby to come to UVA after Leitao was canned. I was pretty pissed when they hired some guy named Tony Bennett.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Crean is at Georgia. So good luck with that I guess.

https://twitter.com/ugaathletics/status/974451526432309248?s=21

• Locked thread