Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've been casually reading through this thread for a couple weeks. I like crabs, good crab thread. I cant get a crab pet because I already have frogs and lizards and cats and it's too many, but if I didn't have those other pets I would now probably get a crab friend or two.

Last week I was in minneapolis with my wife for a ceramics conference and we went to a lot of art galleries to look at pottery and I kept noticing crabs on a few. I'm sorry I couldn't take pictures so just imagine mugs and vases and whatnot with crabs depicted on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Get rid of cats and give yourself over to a world of tiny skittery critters.

My wife would not accept that and honestly I love my cats anyway, and they're all rescues, etc.

Maybe when all the lizards and frogs are gone, but they seem to be surviving a long time.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's my mom's birthday, and she wanted a bunch of family photos I've taken over the last few years so I was going through thousands of photos this weekend and I came across some crab photos. These are all taken along the pacific coast, mostly up near mendocino/ft. brag or possibly somewhere between there and maybe bodega bay.

I don't recall but this crab may not have been alive

There is an eel in these two photos but don't let it distract you from the crab

oh hey there

It's fun to let a crab scrabble around in your hand (did you notice there's a crab in the word scrabble because I did)

My lovely wife is the hand model and yes that is a pile of other crap she's taking home with her in her other hand but we do not abduct the live crabs

When you're done pestering the crab put it back tho

Don't worry this shoe is for size comparisons only, there is no crab stomping

see, it's fine

I also have two crab videos to upload which I will post maybe tomorrow.

e. nah I lied I uploaded them now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltWsvpHFrqM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCyH0MGagX0

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 22, 2019

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

I’ll catch and eat over 200 in a given 2 month season.

I'm worried about your mercury intake, friend, that's a lot of crab

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

horseshoe crabs are more closely related to spiders than they are to crabs

really we should call them horseshoe spiders or maybe just horseshoe... things

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

doc holiday creb maybe

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Strongly considering buying like 30 crabs from the internet for 30 bucks

They're all tiny marine hermits what do I need for their health and enrichment? Extra snail shells? Feed them like a whole frozen shrimp once a week prob cut it up and feed a little a day?

Also considering getting 100 instead but I only have a 30 gallon tank with various weirdo copepods and an oyster and clam rn that seems unfairly excessive

I'm no expert but I feel like your 30 gallon tank is way too small for even 30 hermits. Given you already have a saltwater tank setup with stuff in it, I'd suggest getting maybe three or four crabs and seeing how that goes.

Also, this caresheet says they'll happily attack and kill other animals to take their shells so definitely you need to provide lots of empty shells. Also they should primarily be eating algae and seaweed, you can supplement with shrimp or whatever.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Currently the only things in the tank are algae, an oyster, and a clam. Nothing else made it

Will hold off on crab army for now. I assumed when they said "dwarf hermit" they meant REALLY dwarf

I mean definitely get some crabs! Just, 30 all at once is insane

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ohhh, yeah, I watched a bunch of that guy's videos like 8 months ago or something

I like his weird accent

also I wish he didn't stick quite so resolutely to never opening his little life jars for a year or more, I bet like one or two partial water changes in that time might have saved the crabp.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

that's a scorpion

the mouth-claws are cool tho

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Crabs are like hedgehogs in many ways

historically in england they used to call hedgehogs "urchins"
that's where the name "sea urchin" comes from
sea urchins are of course invertibrates
crabs are invertibrates
ergo ipso facto crabs are related to hedgehogs

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lemme just rehost that image for ya:

An eocene fossil crab, very good (old dead stone) crab

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the spider lacks the snip snop

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

no claw = not creb

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Slaan posted:

Fine, spider is not creb. Spider is still Güd Bùddy though :colbert:

Oh most definitely, I love spiders. Not to eat though. Probably.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

you marry that woman immediately

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

thank you for your service

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Stoner Sloth posted:

Both them and Moreton Bay Bugs are delicious as well as being excellent creb friends.

we've been over this:

Leperflesh posted:

no claw = not creb

They're cool looking lobster guys who have huge flat antennae where they should have claws, but having no claws they're even less a creb than a normal lobster

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

I don't think vision has much to do with it. Dogs and other sighted animals can clearly see themselves just fine in a mirror, but the mirror test is inherently flawed because it's designed with a fairly characteristic "think/act like a human" win condition.

Edit: Wait sorry I misunderstood you. I realize now that you meant that (e.g.) dogs rely less on vision for identifying others, not that they necessarily have bad eyesight.

The mirror test is about whether an animal recognizes that that other doggie in the weird glass is them, or just some other doggie. For decades it was thought to represent the ability of a "higher intelligence" animal to understand their own self as a distinct entity, or some such nonsense. Notably, human babies do not pass the mirror test until they reach a certain age, so this was also used along with lots of other evidence to form various theories about human mental development.

Latterly, science increasingly accepts that... well, the nature of consciousness is just way more complicated than that and the mirror test, while still very interesting, is completely inconclusive and often highly misleading.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's grossly cruel to intentionally maim a live animal even if it can grow back the limb you lopped off, imo
probably depends on the widespread and now thoroughly debunked myth that "lower animals"/fish/crustaceans etc. can't feel pain or are too stupid to suffer or whatever

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

THE CLAWWWWW

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Floodixor posted:

I'm still really upset about that idea but unrelated can someone please let me know the best way to get a donated car to a creb/family of crebs

Drive to the beach. Right down to the water. Open doors. Remove tires. Congratulations crebs, it is yours now

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Maybe safely drain and properly dispose of the gas, oil, fluids etc. Crebs do not want it.

Leave the lug nuts for the very small crabs

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Floodixor posted:

I'm sure there's a more "professional resource" on this but I feel like this thread has a true moral understanding of the noble crab so I will ask here

If you removed the dangerous fluids and electric things from a car and dropped it to the bottom of the ocean, crabs would happily hang out there, right? I'm picturing crebs going home after work with their tiny creb briefcase and hat and where exactly that is

Yup we've sunk all kinds of stuff to "create seafloor habitat" (get rid of junk) and the crebs like it just fine. Just google "artificial reef" and you'll find all kinds of sources. I think they usually sink old ships but basically anything will work.

In addition to removing fluids you probably should remove all the plastic, because the ocean has enough garbage plastic in it, and maybe foam stuff like seat cushions, maybe the wiring too. Basically strip the car down to just the frame, chassis, suspension, maybe the glass, maybe leave the transmission and engine if they're super clean but probably best to pull those too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Is there an actual reason for doing that, or what?

Also there's been a totally unscientific and unsubstantiated belief everywhere forever that somehow crustaceans (and for that matter, fish!) don't feel pain. It's bullshit, and more recent studies have proved it's bullshit.

And, you can absolutely safely kill crabs, lobsters, and other crustaceans before cooking them. There are numerous guides online.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

no claw = not creb

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sea spiders are still cool though (they are also not spiders)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's dungoness season so all the grocery stores have them so I last saw a creb like, a week ago probably

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Baby’s get sucked up as ballast water on big ships and get dumped in bays causing problems.

Green crabs and mitten crabs are the worst offenders.

this practice of transporting and flushing ballast water worldwide has caused so god drat many problems, poo poo, are they still doing this? Can't they like install a filter or maybe not use water as ballast or some poo poo like that?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

smol creb gettin' swol on tiny muscle beach

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Slaan posted:

Wood creb = wreb? Crewd?

Carbentry

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A CRAB IRL posted:

Wow do I feel loving epically owned right about now!!!

proof that crabs have feelings too

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ok I am ready

do I like sign a form, or is there a clinic to go to or how does this work

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fender crabacaster

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

i was at the petsmart getting crickets which are sold in the aquarium section and my wife came back from the cat food area and found me scoping out the carbs and she said "touch my tip top"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

what if... scrunt creb? scrabnt?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

I will be happy to send you some of both, if you PM me!

I mean, that's generous and go for it, but
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=old+bay+seasoning
can't beat prime free shipping, if you've got it.

(They also have the utz crab chips but not for a reasonable price)

Scratch that, if you don't mind a bunch of 1-oz bags you can get this
https://www.amazon.com/Utz-Potato-Chips-Crab-Pack/dp/B00WH1X8RW
which, woah

sixty bags

fourteen bucks

crabtacular

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 17, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

join the pile
                   \
                 :yeeclaw::yeeclaw: