Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ContraBoss posted:

Sometimes, I like to fan a slice of pizza over the tank and watch his antennae go apeshit as he searches for a pizza-flavored carcass.

haha this is awesome

I used to have an emrald crab and two pom poms
those guys were fuckin sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ContraBoss posted:

Anyways, I really dig your war-crab concept and would totally put something like that on my desk, or cubicle shelf etc...

Back to CRAAAAABS!!!!

Did you know those little red-claw crabs they sell at pet stores and aquariums aren't meant to be totally submerged all the time in fresh water? Anyone who had these little fellas quickly found out how quirky and mischievous they can get when they constantly try to escape or make a home out of the aquarium filter housing unit. That's because they need to breathe air! They do not thrive underwater, they simply need access to water at all times, like an amphibian. Even then, it's supposed to be brackish water! Oy vey!

can they also use salt water? I always wanted to do one of those tanks that was an aquarium terrarium combo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ContraBoss posted:

***INCOMING CRABS!***

Here are some random photos from the past 3 years of my crabitat:

Here is Smee riding atop of Jojo, something not so uncommon that happens to him.

Maggie Moo is ever vigilant. Whenever I let Jojo roam, I have to lock her out of the room, otherwise she immediately takes the opportunity to bat around the poor crab like one of her toys!

Captain Snips! She's a feisty little rear end-pirate. Whenever I pick her up, she retracts into her shell like they typically do, but starts angrily trying to grab anything she can in her big claw. Even when I set her down on my palm, she's determined to get a piece of my flesh in her grip. I can't stop getting owned by crabs! :3:

This is a more recent pic of Smee and the crabitat. She's grown quite a bit and has moved into even larger shells this past year. I sprinkle chia, birdseed, and quinoa into the terrarium and they readily sprout on the moss, providing a really enriching environment for the crabbies. It's basically a little ecosystem in there. There's pillbugs, crickets, small spiders, springtails, nematodes and fungus gnats that thrive in there and sort of complete a little cycle in there. The crabs obviously poo poo, and anything they don't eat that isn't too big or gross gets broken down by the various scavenging organisms in the tank, which makes for some fertile substrate for moss I gather from the woods and periodic seeds I throw in there for food and decor!

This is the best pic I could get on my phone of my current setup. My goal is to make a bigger, crabbier paradise someday once we move out of our apartment. :)

I'm going to upload a video of one of them changing shells, but I gotta edit out my dumb-rear end remark first.

nice dude, i'm pretty interested in the ecosystem part. Do you have to clean the crab poo poo at all? Or does the garbage crew truly take care of everything? iirc chias can actually grow into a tree if you let them

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

gender illusionist posted:

I'm loving how they use their giant fight claws to daintily eat fruit

crabs are actually v refined

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ContraBoss posted:

That's a great question with an even greater answer!

..........Pure..........loving..........MAGIC!!!!

Nah, but seriously, I believe it's a combination of their curly abdomen, their 4th and 5th pair of tiny legs that help grip inside the shell, and finally a pair of appendages on the tip of their abdomen called, "Uropods".

Here's a basic anatomy overview of just about all hermit crabs, marine or land types.

Dang, that's a hell of a derived abdomen

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

poverty goat posted:

The man with the pet crab eats _____ videos also has a bunch of weird videos of himself exercising his hands and using them to crush things like a crab

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCElnuKAXeS9u9Z_yn5bA-GA

this dude knows what he wants out of life

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
eh, eating or cooking live animals is haram as far as i'm concerned. Almost all animals are neurologically capable of perceiving pain, except I think some clams

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

gender illusionist posted:

This dumb crab is extremely cool

you can tell that one's a badass because it got a leg eaten and is still pouncing on methane seeps

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I wonder if it's possible to buy seafood counter animals and rear them in a tank like some kinda lunatic mad science type
I was able to do this with oysters but they didn't live more than I think 8 or so months

i'm gonna put a livestock feeder trough in my basement and fill it with monstrous benthic abominations

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

I swear this guy looks twice as big. Hopefully the tail doesn't get bent from living in a jar

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Improbable Lobster posted:

All arthropods are just crabs with various degrees of shell and pichers

this is backwards mr lobster

many arthropods become "crabified" because it's evolutionalrlyl beneficial

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

my god they've learned magic

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

I'm absolutely in awe at the speed of this lass. Absolute unit

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Wait if you rotate (flip vertical actually) the grenade the handle would be more visible and look like less of a crab leg but dunno how it will look

Also I was not able to order 27 emerald crabs as in my previous there's

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
My god is it possible to keep in an aquarium?

Are there any decorator crabs who have used sponges?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Free drinks it may be possible to use gifv, or even buy a blank av with an img tag to the real av and leave it hosted somewhere else

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I didn't see it when I posted. Bet it's not easy. The crab will be v sad if its coat dies.

If crabs had a society what would their civic values be?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

my cat is norris posted:

I think I'm done messing with the tag at this point, I think it looks pretty cool as is! Plus the original image isn't in layers so flipping its components would be more than a minute's work and I am so so lazy, so lazy.

Sponge crab looks so pettable...

nah it's fine

my dog died im sad posted:

This is cool. What game is it from?

Also, if any poster who cares for their own hermit crabs/other crabs could point me in the direction of a basic care guide that would be awesome. Depending on what they require I might get into crabbin.

stellaris. They came out with a new huge update that makes it way better than the old version.

When I had crabs I had aquatic ones. The main things were:
1) make sure you have a good, well established tank. Wild swings in hosed up parameters will make them sick. You won't realize they're sick till their dead, unless they become noticeably lethargic or something
2) crabs = bugs. Never let anything near the tank that is potentially bad for bugs. Don't smoke a cig and then put your hand in the tank like some kind of degenerate. Nicotine is bad for bugs and bad for crabs.
3) don't let copper in the tank. Crabs are easily poisoned by dissolved copper. Don't go spraying windex all over the goddamn place.
4) crabs like to have real swanky digs. Make sure to have some good sand for them to pinch. They like to pinch live plants, dirt, and poop as well. I always made sure to have a lot of good rocks and poo poo for them to climb on.
5) other animals are good, but not too good. My pom poms liked to square off and try to fight fish like a boxer. Too many crabs or other animals will make them want to fight.
6) crabs eat basically whatever(?) and enjoyed eating whatever left over fish food sunk to the bottom. Anything meaty they attacked. They also liked just digging in sand and poo poo like that.

I think I want to start a new tank just for crabs. Just get some couple corals and crabs only.

ContraBoss posted:

This isn’t meant to discourage you, but more of a heads up that it’s waaay more than what the buffoons at most major pet retailers will inform you of.

This is true for like 99% of all pets and extra true for crabs, unless you find a really good pet store that's not staffed by highschool kids who don't give a gently caress and will quit in a week anyway.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I think I posted these already but gently caress it ima do it again
prepare for crab onslaught
no refuge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjyck_HlHS4&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf0b8BaPM3s&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e95h8v_KqFw&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImR-megoPuk&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUdnW3u8uo8&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZyyWUoMlgo&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKE51JbquPY&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCsHHlqgtbY&hd=1

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah I wanted to get crabs but sadly I don't think they'd make it in the cichlid tank and would murder my shirmp in the small one. Maybe another tank is the solution :thunk:

there are freshwater crabs, but I have no knowledge of them.

fuckin crab magic

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Crabs are basically crunchy dogs

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Apparently the holy crab is intensively researched for aquaculture. The look like they might be too huge for the home enthusiast though.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
crab sperm is actually extremely similar to human except humans have 46 total chromosomes and crabs have like 208

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Humans have gone far in my previous games, but I feel like i'm missing... something

e: I got a good feeling about this start

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 25, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
they'd be fine until april when they migrate 10,000 miles back home to breed

at that time you better brace for impact when they tear your house open to escape

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

LingcodKilla posted:

My biggest victim from last season.

My head collection.

make a suit of armor wear their skins and eat them and become them

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

whats this from

whats this from

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
when you don't have enough crabs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8esAlaNxRM

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Lockwell posted:

Does anyone else keep any other sorts of crustaceans? I also have crayfish and I consider them honorary crabs.

Sign me up for a more-bad rear end

Former DILF posted:

cause i already got my fill going down on your mom

*totally blown away*
*mike Tyson's punch out KO noise*

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I looked them up cause i thought they would look cool but the only info I was able to obtain was "no known antitoxin"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
would eat, but possibly not if they were themselves eating poison silt from a death river of pollution

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
apparently there are aggressive forms of the mole crab who prey upon their brethren

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

my dog died im sad posted:

Today I learned about a crab called Hoplophrys oatesi aka The Candy Crab.

It's unique colors allow it to hide among soft corals. Apparently it will also attach coral polyps to itself to maximize the effect. Kind of similar to what the Sponge Crab does.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoplophrys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRlRO_MSvDk

that's a drat fine crab, drat fine

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the grim fate of crabs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5q9y1k6rTM

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Bell_ posted:

I paid, but some were gifted. A mod put it up on the site, at the very least.

Also, the leopard crabs are too cute. I came into this thread thinking of a crab as one of my favorite things to eat or drink, but I've really fallen for the diverse collection of crabs shared in this thread, especially the gimmicky ones and every hermit crab.

i'm also a big fan of crab juice, way better than mtn dew

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Barnacles are a kind of crab

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I like that the crab and the cucumber are friends I bet they hang out all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Free Drinks posted:

Bonus:

A crab-knife video I don't remember ever seeing:

https://i.imgur.com/VxLQ7oF.gifv

Go get 'em little guy!

Edit: that came out bigger than I wanted, how the hell do you shrink .gifvl?
Honestly I would at this point make a crab home and keep it as a pet instead of eating it

E: I don't think you can adjust the size like with timg, and appending one of the imgur suffixes doesn't seem to work either. Imo enjoy the big crab

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 18, 2018