Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
I see that there have been two patches since Levi released, is the game playable yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

alright ill give it a few more weeks

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

did they patch the game yet or are we still waiting for the post levi unfucking to occur

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

my watch continues I guess

Thanks

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

lol between WoW, EVE, and EU4, the last year or so has been a giant shitshow

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"Sunset Invasion removed my ability to feel human"

what is this

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

yeah uhh i did one of those "im gonna repel the colonizers" campaigns as morocco and to become powerful enough to defeat spain i had to conquer all of africa down to the cape and wound up colonizing south america and the caribbean

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

i love that theres even a distinction between "ethical" gameplay in a game with slavery, genocide, massive wars that kill millions, explicit economic exploitation, etc
but colonizing is "bad" lolol

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Finally giving Leviathan a shot now that theyve announced a rebalance to Concentrate Dev/Pillage Capital...is there any point to the expand infrastructure thing? Is it only used for stacking Manu's in a single province/tall play?
Or Centralize State? I remember reading that the math on it didnt really justify reducing the gov cost when you could instead expand your cap

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Why the gently caress do I have infantry in the second row, I have exactly as many infantry as my combat width

Mr. Grinch fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 28, 2021

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

does anyone else use the Eu4 wiki? Does it look hosed up to anyone else?

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

i do not at all agree that mutapa's "buildings increase dev by 1" is op
most people build what, four(?) buildings per province on average? oh no you might get literally tens of extra development for something you would do anyway, how broken

did they nerf dev cost reduction? no? then shut up

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

honestly the biggest issue with levi IMO was the absolutely zero playtesting that went into pillage capital; it was straight up brokenly OP
especially since you could use it in any peace deal regardless of cb AND cobelligerent didnt matter.
go to war, pillage the capital of every nation youre fighting, end the war, declare a new war against someone else that drags in a nation you just peaced out, pillage them again, rinse repeat
all for like single digit AE per occurrence

theyve "rebalanced" it now but the fact that that poo poo went live shows you paradox doesnt actually play the game the way a player would (if at all)

side note: AI seems broken now? my vassals/PUs have zero liberty desire and are set to siege mode but they go to the rear end end of my nation and sit there doomstacking

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Brute Squad posted:

Oh hey. Nations released through peace treaty are now guaranteed by the winner for free. That's nice.

yea but you have to cancel the guarantees yourself and if youre like me and forget about it youll have a dozen guarantees floating out there

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

lol trying another Byzantium run for funsies and the loving Ottomans deleted all their forts in the balkans right before I war decced them
great AI improvements guys

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Rynoto posted:

As a side note I do like the idea of the AI actually being able to deal with some of their insane debt spirals but also feel it should maybe be done through pulse events giving them buildings or something.

is fort maintenance really what bankrupts an AI? Maybe just make AI forts cost less? an AI deleting their forts because theyre running a deficit is incredibly stupid

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

I thought I had a pretty firm grasp on zone of control; these forts were not off, how is the AI able to just sail over the fort at Trencin and straight on into Pest?

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Staltran posted:

Two things, I think, either of which would be sufficient on their own. 1. You can move up to two provinces away from your return province, which lets the AI reach Spis. Then they can move to Pest, since you can always move to an adjacent fort. 2. Nowy Sacz isn't in the zone of control of Trencin, since forts don't projects zones of control over borders.

e: I re-checked the rules, and to be more specific, you can always move to an adjacent (e2: non-neutral) fort unless you're already on a hostile fort and the fort you want to move to isn't the return province or directly adjacent to it. So almost always, but not actually always. And occupied forts can project a ZoC into the occupier's owned provinces, so "forts don't projects zones of control over borders" isn't always true either.

e3: With your current borders, I'm pretty sure the Trencin fort is completely redundant for you as long as you hold the fort at Pest.

e4: I seem to have misremembered how the distance from return province rule works. The target province needs to be the return province, adjacent to the return province, or adjacent to a non-ZoC province adjacent to the return province. I didn't remember the italicized part. So if you owned Nowy Sacz, the return province would be e.g. Tarnow, and Spis would be inaccessible because Nowy Sacz would be in a ZoC. However in actuality the army is only entering a ZoC in Spis, so obviously it can move there. (And then it can move to the adjacent fort in Pest, since there is no fort in Spis.)

ahh okay so if I delete the fort at Pest that wall of ZoC will function the way I anticipated. I remember thinking I needed to build forts such that their ZoCs dont overlap, thanks for the explanation.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Various Meat Products posted:

Not really sure what the confusion is about. Denmark is walking from a province with no ZOC to a province in Pest's ZOC and then to Pest.

When I mouseover Spis it says its within Trencin's zone of control, which is the fort I was expecting them to have to take to proceed past Spis. I didnt know the thing about other forts adjacent to the ZoC province allowing you to just skip past the wall

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

coalitions are easily avoidable since they wont form if the coalition members arent roughly as powerful as you are. meaning if you just stagger your truces with the most powerful would-be members of the coalition, all the lovely little OPMs wont even begin to form it.
also there is no "waiting it out" when you get to several hundred points of AE, your bed is made

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

this thread loves to single out some mechanic as "problematic" every few weeks as if we arent all playing a famously previously eurocentric genocide simulator

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

why would you people choose to trust the whims of ai diplomacy instead of moving to crush castille asap so that they arent potentially a game ending threat

edit: actually FWIR getting PUd by castille isnt game ending anyway because you cant get inherited by an ai and junior partners do not give any resources to their overlord so you can just play your colonization game as normal and declare independence war whenever youre ready

Mr. Grinch fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 28, 2021

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

youre in luck, you can still do that

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

do tell

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

you get a negative modifier in any node you collect from that isnt your home node, so assuming that person has a provnces in english channel you should absolutely set that as your main trading node and capture more provinces to lock down your power share there (and dont waste a merchant collecting there)

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

oh poo poo you lose steering bonuses globally? i thought it was just to the collecting merchant, drat

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

religion has nothing to do with it, you have to be Italy
https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Triggered_modifiers#The_Occupation_of_Rome

Although if youre not catholic then the negative papal influence doesnt really matter eh?
-1 diplo rep is trivial

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

does "Visibility" not just refer to whether or not the triggered modifier is listed in the Triggered Modifiers button on the UI?

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

you can still play alpha centauri i have it installed right now wtf

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

blue squares posted:

Any good YouTube videos that I could watch to decide if I should get this game? I really enjoy CK3 but I’m interested in something deeper

having spent several hundred hours watchng youtube videos of eu4 players (and not memey bullshit) im pretty confident that zlewikk is the most informed/skilled player that still makes new content from current patches/expacs

the rest of them will teach you some noob poo poo

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

trapped mouse posted:

I guess this guy has started to do things on his own, but I was watching him when he was just starting out, and I remember thinking how awful his guides were. Usually they were copy and pasted from guides made months/years ago so all of the info was out of date and if you told him that in the comments he would just be like "No this works on the current patch!!" even though it clearly didn't, and even if it did then it was still missing so much important info. AlazboHD ended up calling him out for blatant plagiarism which caused some drama in the GSG Youtube community.

Also his thumbnails suck.

ludi is one of the creators i had in mind when i wrote "the rest will teach you noob poo poo"
hes not great at the game mechanically and its not that impressive to me to make "country guides" for single player. anyone can follow a mission tree. (also red hawk is just better at single player guides imo without having a poo poo personality)

and yeah i know zlewikk likes to cut in his quick little thanos references, i meant memey eu4 videos like the ones where they say nothing and you have a 10 minute contextless mashup of zoom in shots on losing battles while an indian man says oh no no no over and over

sorry i just really hate zoomer meme bullshit on yt especially when it comes to an information firehose game like eu4. meme compilation poo poo would make more sense paired with fps or something anyone can understand with no context

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

if you wanna go really basic you could start by just imagining history

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

Can someone give me some economy tips? I abandoned a France game last night after having to declare bankruptcy due to having 5000 ducats in loans from a survival war against Burgundy and England. My questions:

1. What provinces should I build marketplaces in and what provinces should I build churches in? And which provinces should I build workshops in? I can't figure out which province should get what improvements, because they all seem useful but I don't understand it well enough to know when to pick one, the other, or both.

2. I still don't understand how trade works. I sent my merchant to steer trade in the Bourdeax trade region and one to Germany to steer trade into Champagne trade region. I took the estate options that give monopolies in exchange for +1 mercantilism every year and built up 28% mercantilism and didn't really notice it doing anything or improving my income.

3. Development - when, and which provinces, and to what extent? I remember reading that the magic dev number for a province is a total of 21, with 11 points being put into manpower and the remaining 10 divided between tax base and production. How should I balance that? Should I be developing with monarch points only after I've got tech parity? I feel like I'm losing out on the development race to my bigger neighbors and my economy isn't strong enough to juggle development, tech and research, improvements to provinces, and also building up an army that doesn't send me negative as soon as I take it off zero maintenance.

1) Only build market places in provinces that have some local bonus to trade power like a center of trade or an estuary or w/e (you can see these on the trade mapmode) and prioritize building them in the node your collecting from first, before moving to nodes upstream. Do not build churches, they are a noob trap. Tax income is terrible and doesnt scale well at all, and churches take something like 83.33 years to pay themselves off (assuming you dont develop your tax base, which you shouldnt)
2) Mercantilism is basically worthless, it barely improves your provincial trade power (youre better off placing marketplaces like I described above). Otherwise, its way too intricate to describe in a post, you should read the wiki
3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liwkjhRm7Es

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

3. Developing provinces should be a last resort kind of thing, when there’s nothing else to spend your points on and you’re nearing the cap. Because the best way of gaining more development is by conquest. I’ve never heard of that “magic dev number” and I don’t know why it would exist

Other than taking techs at +5% or below tech cost there is literally nothing else you should be doing with your dip/mil points other than deving. Easily the worst advice in the thread
Bootstrapping institutions? Deving. Making the modifiers from your buildings (which are nearly all percentage based, btw) more effective? Deving.
If you are doing something like only conquering territory to gain more dev and then blowing your points on like...buying mercantilism or something you are essentially lighting your mana on fire

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Firebatgyro posted:

LOL

Nah dude, devving excess dip points is fine but there way better uses for Mil. Smashing the make general button for professionalism and blowing up forts is absolutely vital.

You can still do this and dev for manpower though?
I feel like the issue here is that people who dont dev have lovely mana generation and view it as "playing wide" instead of "a problem to solve"

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Professionalism isn't that great early imo and I don't push it up until I get some -leader cost modifiers.

yea unless its past tech 16 and you have taken nobility in the officer corp you shouldnt be spamming generals unless you like wasting your mana

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

techs ideas whatever, same thing
the point is you absolutely should be deving or you are not extracting as many resources out of your lands as you otherwise could be
its geography dependent obviously but for the most part there is a wide array of nations that have dev cost reduction, farmlands, CoTs, cloth, etc. Deving is as essential to playing well as coring your provinces. Its not a playstyle, its a mechanic. Ignoring it is dumb

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

yea and two years worth of low manpower because you didnt dev for manpower is going to be garbage
furthermore, if you have a giant manpower pool and have taken quantity (because why would you ever not take quantity) you will rarely if ever need to sacrifice professionalism for manpower

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

no playing the game differently is like one guy goes colonial or does a WC or whatever. Your "way of playing" (sacrificing 250 base mil mana for 2 years of manpower recovery) is less efficient than just having a large manpower pool and letting it recover passively (presumably with close to zero war exhaustion because with higher professionalism you win wars easier, the perks are good).

Its not like youre comparing two different styles of having fun. There is an objective: recover manpower. You can either click certain buttons in a certain sequence or click a different set of buttons in a different sequence, but with a lesser result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

I dunno even in single player before I knew to stack dev cost reduction id still get coalitioned (because I didnt know how to manage/avoid it) and you absolutely need a gigantic manpower pool to not get owned
its important to learn how to dev even if you dont wanna be super sweaty about it and like...restart the campaign cause you deved without having prosperity or something

Just dont be the guy with like 300k manpower in age of absolutism cause youre going to get demolished