Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Drone posted:

So independent of Cradle of Civ: which country does the game's "meta" currently favor for being best to form Scandinavia? I remember back in the day it used to be Sweden, but did it swing back to Denmark?

Probably Denmark. There was a patch a while back focused specifically on buffing Denmark, and there are plenty of options available to keep Norway and Sweden's liberty desire under control until you can integrate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Once you reach 80 Professionalism and get half-cost generals it's pretty easy to blitz the rest of the way up to 100 if you've got some mil points to spare.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

How long did it take you to get there?

I forget exactly, but it was somewhere between 1560 and 1580. That was with me deliberately trying to focus on Professionalism: never hiring mercenaries, always drilling as many troops as possible during peace time, always hiring generals up to my leader limit. I was the Mamluks, though, not every nation can afford to do what I did. Still, I think reaching 100 Professionalism by 1600 or so is entirely reasonable for just about anyone who makes it a priority.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

What's the newbie country recommendation nowadays? Usually it was Spain, but I'd rather not play another colonization game.

My newbie recs are France or Ottomans.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

skasion posted:

You can either move your capital there (Burgundy starts with its in Bourgogne)

Is this for anyone or only for Burgundy? I just wrapped up a Dithmarschen run where I moved my capital to Holland and still suffered constant Dutch revolts. They only stopped in the last century or so for some reason.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'd like to do an Ideas Guy run. Would any of Third Rome, CoC, or MoH improve the game for me? I have all the older DLCs.

With Third Rome you'd have access to the powerful but expensive Siberian Frontiers idea in the nation builder. CoC adds some nice unique governments, especially the Mamluk one, but you're probably better off with the best government from an older DLC: the Dutch Republic. If you got both Third Rome and MoH, I think the age bonus for increased development in colonies synergizes with Siberian Frontiers.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 10, 2017

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Your reward for having max crown authority is directly controlling all of your land upon conversion, otherwise you might end up with some vassal nations.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Any tips about using states? I usually plonk burghers in coastal trade provinces, give whatever poo poo I have laying around to the rest when they whine about territory and call it a day.

The benefits look great, but each time I try to interact with them I end up with problems.

Don't be too arbitrary with how you give the Nobility and Clergy provinces. Try to give provinces with high manpower and low tax/production to the Nobility, while high tax with low production/manpower provinces should go to the Clergy. In both cases preferably provinces with low value trade goods like grain or wool. That way you get the most benefit from the estates' autonomy exemption for their favored development type and minimize the effect of their minimum 25% autonomy for everything else.

You can always just revoke provinces when an estate's influence gets too high. The disasters for high influence take a while to fire anyway, so if you keep an eye on it you can even wait it out a bit and hope for an event to pop up that lets you reduce influence before you start revoking provinces. Having an angry clergy reduce your tax income by 10% for a few years in exchange for 150 ADM points every two decades is worth it. Just try not to piss off your nobility when you really need the manpower recovery bonus.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Hey guys you know what's pretty great? EU4 multiplayer is great. Come sign up to play with us!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3843933

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I also saw the AI form Sardinia-Piedmont recently, always a cool thing to see. It's probably a lot more feasible for them to pull off if Aragon dodges the PU with Castille. It's always funny when Castille declines the PU with Aragon, or Poland refuses to PU Lithuania. It's like the AI decides they're just gonna suck this game.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

One thing I'd like to see is some sort of bonus for being under the state cap, something to represent that you have a highly efficient, tightly organized administration. Something that could encourage a tall strategy.

On a related note, a bonus for having low or zero absolutism might make things better for republics.

If I remember correctly, smaller nations teched up faster in EU3. It would allow, for example, the Netherlands to fight on somewhat even footing with France by having higher quality troops from mil tech despite being greatly outnumbered. Something like that in EU4 would be nice. There'd just have to be some limitation requiring a nation to actually be small, so larger nations wouldn't just deliberately leave provinces unstated.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Can you not blockade straits anymore? I just had Naples slip 20k men across the Messina straits that my nanny was guarding and destroy my guys besieging Sicily. I really couldn't afford to lose those men over loving Corfu.

And where exactly are the Continental regions. I'd think holding the balkans and Anatolia would be enough to get the two continent splendor thing

If your enemy controls both sides of the strait they ignore blockades.

Most of Anatolia is considered to be Europe. It only becomes Asia somewhere around Antioch.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Node posted:

Is there a way to keep Sweden loyal? I give them a gift, improve relations immediately, build up my army, but one of my rivals always supports their independence and they shoot up to 100% liberty desire. Their era bonus wouldn't offset that. I know Paradox is biased towards Sweden but still.

Go to subject interactions and hit the Support Loyalists button immediately after starting the game. It'll keep Sweden calm for a while if you can bear to spend the money for it.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Eh, 50 devastation in a province with a fort goes away faster than it takes to build up 5 professionalism.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I would actually buy an India Immersion Pack.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Mannsplaining: As Mann have a male ruler and send an insult to a nation with a female ruler.

No Mann Is An Island: As Mann control no islands.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

really queer Christmas posted:

Iron Mann- own all iron provinces as Mann

This is a good one.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Hey folks, I'm streaming some multiplayer EU4 tonight in about 2 and a half hours. Watch as I attempt to turn the worthless nation of Yas into a global power: https://www.twitch.tv/mountaineerz
It's a game of minor nations. Other players include: Shirvan, Mali, Yao, Bulgaria, Serbia, Naples, Teutonic Order, and the Papal State.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 24, 2018

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Alikchi posted:

This is very much a wip and you'd need to backdate your EU4 version to work but I'm working on updating it https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=303749032&searchtext=

Awesome! I didn't think you'd ever update it.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

How the gently caress is the Papacy's fleets of transports and Light ships completely clowning on my fleets of Heavy Ships? I've lost forty heavies to them losing like five Lights, across four battles where I had ten Heavies in my fleet and they have ppbbbt 17 Lights and 50 transports?

edit: LOL and now they are going around sinking 100% of my 1x Heavy 25x Lightship fleets with the same 17 lightships of their own :allears:

Make sure you haven't run out of sailors. If you have, your ships are probably going around with less than full health.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Roadie posted:

The map modes really need a 'just show a huge popout with every button as an option' toggle.

There used to be a mod for this, and I loved it, but when Paradox added more buttons it apparently became impossible to update.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I don't know if there's some other way to become Anglican since I don't have the DLC, but judging by the wiki's Anglican events page the conversion event only happens once because it can only fire if Anglican doesn't already exist. You might just have to provoke religious rebels.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

I finally bought Rule Britannia, and am trying a game as Scotland.

I think allying France before the Maine event triggers will gently caress me over, can anyone confirm

I'm doing a Scotland game too and allied France at the start. The first war France started with England really hosed me over because all my stuff got occupied, but France ultimately won the war and weakened England enough that I was able to beat them down when it was time for round 2. Just be prepared to deal with France when they inevitable take some chunk of southern England.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

The number of heavy ships in a naval battle doesn't much matter once each side has above 30 or so because of combat width, so it really comes down to quality at that point. England gets +10% heavy ship combat ability and that's a big hurdle to overcome. Rather than Naval ideas, I would suggest taking Maritime and Innovative and using their policy to get your own +10% heavy ship combat ability. This also gets you +2 admiral maneuver to increase combat width so it might be possible to leverage numerical superiority in this case. Throw in Quality for its durability boost and another policy for naval morale and your ships should be equal or slightly better than England's unless they took Naval ideas. In that event, yeah you need to get Naval ideas too or just surrender mastery of the sea to England.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

Or you could not invest in filling out 2-3 idea groups just to win one naval battle

Innovative and Maritime continue to be useful after winning that battle, Naval does not. I suppose that was my reasoning. Quality Ideas is just something worth taking regardless.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I am totally on board with the corruption penalty for blobbing too much. The inability to convert territories seems awful, though. That's disastrous for nations like Russia that typically benefit from using the Religious CB to expand into heathen land. Seems like it's going to make Religious Ideas nearly useless, and Humanist Ideas nearly mandatory.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Yeah if you're not occupying their stuff you have to just wait until their war enthusiasm drops from length of war to peace them out. Expect it to take at least 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I probably cant commit to a weekly game but I am curious about Mountaineer's balance mod, got any details you could share on that?

It's mostly my attempt to fix things that bother me in our multiplayer games. The main changes are: Shattered world so there are no real major powers at the start, reduced discipline modifiers across the board, and significantly reduced mercenary availability. Still working on that last one, you can still get too many mercs with certain policies and ideas.