Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Arsonide posted:

Now that Cradle of Civilization has dropped, I kind of want to play this because everyone else says this game is fun. I have all of the DLC. However, here is my experience playing Europa Universalis 4: I play the tutorial, and am still confused as hell, then stop playing, and eventually uninstall. This has happened twice now over many years.

So for someone that wants to play this, but has been through the tutorial twice and still has no idea what is going on, is there a Youtube series or something that teaches morons how to play and enjoy this game?

Yeah linked in the op https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1DesDCb2WU

arumba is good. dunno if this particular series with filthyrobot is good but maybe its worth a watch. just watch him do a campaign you'll figure out most of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I watched about 10 minutes of this and it's really bad. He spends a lot of time just reading things on the screen without explaining a drat thing.

Also the whole tutorial series is over 50 hours long.

Ew yeah. I never watched that one it was just in the op. I learned by watching any of his actual gameplay videos. Like he generally explains himself while he's playing.

The game is going to take like 10 hours to get to the point where you mostly understand what you're seeing though.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Maybe it's because I'm old but I really don't like the kids these days doing insanely long youtube videos instead of just writing their dang guides down.

I guess I should be thankful it doesn't have a facecam too.

arumba is like 35-40 with a kid so he's around your age probably lol

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Uziduke posted:

Was going to try Austria again, but they hit it with a huge nerf bat. Why is this poo poo not in the patch notes.

How?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Man after not playing this game much for the last few years I've forgotten completely how to expand. It's taking me forever

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Why is paradox still nerfing ottomans when ming is more ridiculous than they ever were? Ottomans being a powerhouse into the 1600s made sense but they're dying now lol

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dance Officer posted:

Yea so byz and Serbia(but really just serbia) having a chance of forming so decent alliances has been around since cossacks or mare nostrum. And in case of byz, who really cares. I've seen serbia get alliance with hungary fairly often, but byz os still out of luck unless it's a player.

As for man power, yea you fight a bunch of wars early on as the ottos, but primarily against puny minors. If you lose lots of manpower fighting those you seriously need to step up your military game. The first reasonably large fight you should get into is either serbia with Hungary or aq qoyunlu with whatever they have as friends and those are again entirely manageable without burning through mp.
Most people are complaining that ai ottomans doesn't exist, not sure about that guy in particular.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah the Mamluks are scarier than ottomans now.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

skasion posted:

Not exactly feudal, they had an extensively developed bureaucratic state based on semi-hereditary government offices organizing corvee labor rather than being about fiefs and land ownership. But still, lol.

Seems at least as advanced as feudalism when reduced to the eu4 'tech'

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

proof that coptic is op

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I’m thinking of playing a multiplayer game with a newbie friend of mine, what pair of nations would be recommended for a friendly co-op campaign? Castile and Portugal?

Portugal and Castille, Austria and Hungary, France and burgundy, muscovy and Poland, Denmark and Brandenburg

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The new missions are cool but due to forgetting about them I'd conquered all of scotland and Ireland before the permanent claims happened :v:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

If you're doing a wc lategame you don't wait for truces anymore lol

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

You don't really need to pay attention, just find countries with old monarchs+no heir and royal marry, plus keep your prestige high

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 24, 2018

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

They do not develop to get an institution as far as I know. If they do its purely incidental to them developing

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I personally don't mind a strong ming, they make a good enemy later in the game. Or early on if you game them

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I don't understand why the ai sometimes parks 35k on a mountain suffering 5% for years on end but I'm not a game dev.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

If you make the AI avoid attrition too much then it can't actually do anything in high attrition situations which is also bad

They do overhaul poo poo from time to time, it's only the DLC stuff that really feels like it's just sitting on top of an otherwise complete game (which is by design I would assume so that the no-DLC experience is better; the recent change to Estates is moving in this direction as well)

I don't mean in a war or when they need to do stuff, I'm referring to the longstanding issue of random ai breaking and just sitting 30k or more men on a mountain while at peace and bleeding manpower down to zero

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Groog literally said there are some possible changes they can't make because then people will complain they nerfed stuff to make a dlc mechanic more attractive, didn't he

Edit

Groogy posted:

Could do what I suggested for you to try out but give like supply depots some local reinforce rate bonuses. Then suddenly we nerfed everything to force people to buy CoC.

TL;DR: It's complicated, but it has nothing to do with our business model really.

I don't think it's a major or only reason or even much of one, but it was actually mentioned

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 5, 2018

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

They're not even overbearing right now. People just want to complain I guess?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Senor Dog posted:

Yep, you nailed it buddy *pats you on the head*

They almost never extend their reach to India in any of my games. Maybe they're too stable but they don't expand relentlessly anymore.

Don't be a dick.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

I'm also always hemorrhaging Admin points when expanding, due to coring everything (twice if it's in a new state), but maybe that one's normal.

Release vassals and eat them later.

Finally got back into EU 4 after not playing since early 2018 or late 2017 and a lot of stuff has changed. Anyone have advice on starting as Milan? I want to try ambrosia republic out but it seems like there are no possible wars that don't end with me fighting 40k troops

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 8, 2020

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

^^^yeah brabant can easily get someoene like france to support their independence, take a bunch of burgundian land, but STAY A VASSAL, then do it again but break free next time

at least, i think it should still work that way

finally got a start where i could take mantua before they allied someone big or joined a trade league

now the republic will cover italy, and take rome whenever protestant reformation starts :getin:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I just got out of a war with Scotland. For a PU over France, in 1470, as Castile. I also inherited Milan AND Savoy.

I just wanted a chill game but I can't back down on a PU with France

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

When's emperor coming out. I've been watching the dev clash and I don't want to play anymore until then.

Also i wonder if golden century and dharma will go on sale. I can't do full price right now

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

o-oh. i'm sorry buddy.

i broke alliance with Savoy because I was over the limit and he got dogpiled loving instantly.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Fixed this for you. The years of separatism and unrest modifiers also make it so new conquests are painless. If I recall correctly, the -10 years of separatism is effectively -5 unrest on newly conquered provinces. Add the -2 unrest modifier and unrest becomes ridiculously easy to manage. The tolerance and unity even makes conquering wrong-religion provinces painless. The cherry on top is the improve relations bonus that melts away AE. It's a completely broken idea group.

Same but offensive. Having 15 day siege ticks is broke, you just ignore armies and siege their whole country while they're stuck on your forts

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I haven't seen a stable timmy in ages honestly.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Why the gently caress are all my allies turning hostile?

I have 63 trust with France rn, but the same thing played out with sweden before, hostile at +200

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

oddium posted:

did the league war fire

i didn't join into the leagues

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

trapped mouse posted:

What does it say when you hover over the crossed blue and red flags in the top left corner?

They wanted to break the alliance, it was like -930 in total and -1k of that was being hostile relationship. They ended up breaking the alliance and then the hostile attitude went away 6mo later and i re-allied.

Now I have a royal marriage with a country that.. doesnt exist? Brittany was full annexed like 15 years ago but i have a RM with them still

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Poil posted:

Or they bought a province in Africa or India somewhere.

Yeah I have a lot of the world uncovered but maybe the somehow ended up in the Southeast Asian Islands. I'll find them eventually

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 25, 2020

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

It's so hard for me to not just go innovative-> offensive every game help

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I mean, mp and sp are different games entirely

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

canepazzo posted:

Europa Universalis 4: Emperor is releasing 9th of June 2020

That's so drat far away. I was going to leave my game on this but I don't think I want to wait that long.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

Isn’t there some pay as you go “all dlcs” thing going on?

Yeah and if I hadn't already bought all the dlc I'd jump on it. Because I play a ton for a month or two then take half year breaks

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm actually really enjoying current eu4 so that would be great

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Okay, so I'm trying to finish a couple of achievements before emperor. I wanted to do Gold Rush, Mare Nostrum, and Re-Reconquista. I tried doing gold rush a few times as great horde (conquering ryazan at start and then warring muscovy when they attack novgorod) but i just kept getting decimated. I think by waiting so long they would get a mil tech advantage on me?

Went for Re-Reconquista and finished it first try, apparently starting off by full annexing tlemcen gives you a good starting base of power.

Right now I'm trying gold rush as kazan and everything is going so loving well. I have all the provinces I need from great horde, nogai, and all but one from muscovy. I still have 40 years and most of the wars have been effortless. Only thing I can think of that's different is I just attacked muscovy in 1444

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Groke posted:

Did it as Kazan myself. Kazan is arguably a lot easier than most horde starts because you start with a frickin' gold mine so your economy is not as cursed.

When I did it my first priority was to hit the Great Horde (by allying and calling in whatever rivals they had, don't remember) and then kill Crimea before they randomly ended up as an Ottoman subject. Stabbed Muscovy in the kidney while they were distracted fighting Novgorod.

I found a method that worked to defeat Muscovy was to settle for multiple small wars; be a bit judicious about war goal (usually tribal conquest, but a conquest CB for some province you can sit on works too); while they're still stronger than you, going for 100%-ish war score can be a mistake, but instead go for grabbing the ticking war score from sitting on the war goal ASAP, and run up the numbers until you can peace out for max cash and maybe just one or two or three provinces. If they have an ally you can declare on before the truce is up, great, do that again and get them to peace out just for max cash. After a few rounds of that the bastards went bankrupt and then it was easy to beat them up properly and take a lot of their juicier clay. After that they were a weak remnant which I could eat at my leisure.

I went to war with them in 1444 and stackwiped so many armies they ended up with 23k troops, all mercs. My ruler rolled as a 2/4/3 general lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm thinking of going Orthodox to make my manpower just loving unlimited. Do i just need to let ortho rebels siege me down?

also Murom is woods