Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Fister Roboto posted:

I watched about 10 minutes of this and it's really bad. He spends a lot of time just reading things on the screen without explaining a drat thing.

Also the whole tutorial series is over 50 hours long.

Arumba is goddamn awful.

Unfortunately I can't really recommend any specific EU4 Youtubers, as they all have their ups and downs (except Arumba, where it's just downs... the only positive thing I'd have to say about him is "dude at least knows how to play the game really, really well"). Quill18 is probably too fast and spergy for a lot of people, but is probably the one I'd be closest to recommending. Shenryyr is okay but gets old after awhile. Cringer63 is supremely chill but I don't think he does EU4 that often, mainly CK2 and Stellaris.

Edit: oh yeah forgot DDRJake. Yeah, watch his stuff.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

arumba is like 35-40 with a kid so he's around your age probably lol

All the ones I mentioned are in that age range too. I'm sure there are plenty of Paradox LP'ers out there that are younger, but the key age range seems to be 30-40.

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So independent of Cradle of Civ: which country does the game's "meta" currently favor for being best to form Scandinavia? I remember back in the day it used to be Sweden, but did it swing back to Denmark?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So despite it being part of the game for literal ever, I haven't ever once picked a side in the Thirty Years War. I'm doing a Denmark run right now, annexed Holstein/Norway/Sweden, and went Protestant. When I joined the Protestant League, I was immediately given leadership. Is there any way to... not have leadership? I can't handle that kind of responsibility :ohdear:

Edit: both France and Russia are in the Protestant League as well, so I know leadership can't be based on whoever is the strongest nation.

Drone fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 18, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Randarkman posted:

So I've been playing with Mandate of Heaven turned off recently and finding it okay. About to begin a new ironman campaign with the new expansion, is there any reason for me to turn it back on (the reason would have to be a serious effort by paradox to balance or rein in Ming and its behavior as regards tributaries and such)?

If you're playing outside of Asia: no, feel free to turn it back on.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

esn2500 posted:

Don't disband armies. Got it. Interesting contrast to CK2 where you can instantly raise armies up even when they're humongous.

EU4 takes place in an era where standing professional armies started to become a thing. In the CK2 era, armies were pretty much entirely based on feudal levies that were raised ad hoc as needed (it was actually the basis of the feudal contract).

Speaking of standing armies: I'm actually really liking the new professionalism mechanic. It really underscores the grind of war when your pristine, top-professionalism army just wipes the floor with enemies for the opening battles of the war, only then to lose their training and discipline as they're replaced with fresh recruits. It makes wars feel even more grueling and satisfying to fight (and win).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Running a lucky nations game for the first time in a little bit. Is it normal that Castile and Portugal get eaten up by Morocco and Aragon? Portugal has been exiled to its small colony in Florida, and Spain has been exiled to Nova Scotia.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I love playing in southeast Asia / Malaya, so I'm stoked.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So I've got a pretty fun little Brunswick -> Hanover run going on. Decided I wanted to be an ahistorical colonizer and strong regional power within the HRE, and not grow too big in Europe. I'm at a point where I have nice, pretty borders and well-developed land, plus a small but highly profitable colonial empire in the New World (historical Quebec, New England, and Central America).

My issue's with the decision to become Hanover. The tooltip says that you can only do it when you are A.) no longer part of the HRE, or B.) an Elector. On top of that, the wiki says that another way to satisfy the requirement is to become Emperor. So yeah, I'm Emperor and not an Elector, and I still can't take the Hanover decision. I guess the wiki is wrong, and it's a little frustrating (if for nothing else than it means I have to miss out on the sweet flag of Hanover and the non-generic national ideas).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Fister Roboto posted:

https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Hanover

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that being the emperor allows the decision. Like you said, you have to either be an elector or not part of the HRE. Are you maybe misreading something?

On the HRE page:

quote:

Non-electors forming nations results in those nations leaving the HRE, unless they are the emperor (e.g. if Holland is the emperor, Holland can form the Netherlands without leaving the HRE).

I'm guessing either that text is out-of-date, or the requirement is (for whatever dumb reason?) only applicable to certain formable nations and not all of them.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I play about 50% of my games in Asia (as not-Ming) and have no complaints with the Ming mechanics. :shrug: (Besides that AI Mingsplosion should happen far more frequently than it currently does)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Gamerofthegame posted:

Rome 2 is basically EU5.

So Rome 2 is basically the March of the Eagles/Sengoku of the next generation of Paradox games? :v:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Where's a decent place to play tall outside of Europe? Thinking lots of grassland (or provinces that are otherwise good for development cost), ideally with access to a coastline for institution spread.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Yemen is a good place to build a lucrative trade state

While Yemen is sorta the opposite of "development heaven" I decided to start a game with them anyway and so I'm having a good amount of fun, cheers.

I've played games in the general Indonesia era to death, but admittedly none have been recent. Might come back to that one sometime too.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

What's the feasibility of Paradox using the new unified launcher, tied with Paradox accounts, to rid themselves of relying on Steamworks for multiplayer functionality? And thereby allow cross-store multiplayer (i.e. allowing them to sell on Epic as well as Steam/GOG as they currently do)?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Didnt he start out as a streamer/YouTuber to begin with (and a goon at that?)

He can be proud if the work he did at PDX, and if being a full time streamer lets him better pursue his happiness, more power to him.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Mooseontheloose posted:

I just started playing again after a year off.

Is there an updated must have DLC list?

I mean there's only been like 1 DLC in that year you took off so, uh...

...none of them

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Pumping monarch points into developing provinces, specifically plains/farms provinces with good trade goods, will also help you to get some cash early on as a smaller country. Building bonuses are also higher on high-development provinces, so those temples and marketplaces will pay for themselves faster.

Not sure how viable this is in MP but in a meandering SP game it works well.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

SirPhoebos posted:

How many light ships do I need for my trade fleet? I think I'm at 7, should I replace those too?

No idea what's optimal but I always do mine in multiples of 10 because I'm anal like that.

I usually do a minimum of 10 per node, with 20 being the ideal "default" if I can afford it. Obviously more if the node is super duper important and if trade ship propagation is the only way I can get decent trade power in that node.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

AnoHito posted:

Yeah. Maritime is already good if your navy is relevant to your campaign, but the problem is that a navy actually being relevant is pretty drat rare.

I do Naval/Maritime pretty much only when playing as Malaya (which is often, I really like it for some reason). Secure your islands, grab those ideas, and never have to worry about a drat thing the rest of the game. Just sit there and be rich and free from any threats.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

This is like the third year of the event too, right? I watched most of the content from last year but haven't yet checked out the stuff from this year.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Didn't the latest Imperator patch get rid of the tiered alliance system?

I really dig Imperator's new attrition system for armies though and it'd be neat to see how that'd work in EU4 too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

ilitarist posted:

The other thing is that Steam doesn't really have subscription-based games, doesn't it?

There are a few subscription-based games that allow you to manage/pay your subscription via Steam, so that shouldn't be an issue.