Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I've been enjoying CK2 but not been so into the focus on lineage/inheritance, and EU4 is -75% on Steam, so goodbye money goodbye life!

Any suggestion on the best bundle to pick up? The OP makes it seem like the Starter Bundle (Art of War, Common Sense, Rights of Man) is the obvious choice, but it's also 4 years old by this point so wondered if there was anything more modern that's absolutely necessary to grab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

This is my first EU4 patch - am I best off trying to finish off any 1.33 saves I've got going before it drops?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'll probably still try and get it to a satisfying finish before the patch, it'd be fun to start a new one when the patch drops and I'm already mid-late 1600s

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Poil posted:

Trip report. None of my allies were willing to join except the Papal States but I went ahead anyway to see how it would go. I had my entire 100% professionalism army sitting just outside of Ulster to get the British to cross and as soon as they did and had their movement locked I went in to defend as all of theirs piled in as well. With their strait crossing into a woodland province with a fort I managed to not get stackwiped at least. Such a slaughter. Afterwards they just zoomed across the island and obliterated my armies before they could even group up again.

My general in charge of the big battle was 2 fire and 3 shock while theirs was 4 and 4 and their only military idea is... quantity?? I'm thinking it's time to delete the save and do someplace else for a while. I've no idea how the heck people manage to be even half competent at the game. :saddowns:

It took me a number of attempts to get a game in Ireland going properly. That first war against England is an absolute killer and pretty much determines if you're going to live or die - if you can win it, you're set and can beat them in any future wars.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I mean, they're currently getting a fiver a month out of me for the DLC subscription - that humble bundle needs to come back around so I can catch up

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Firebatgyro posted:

# Units
- Regiments that reach 0 strength or 0 morale during battle will now retreat immediately.
- Daily morale damage is now percentage of enemy's max morale.
- Insufficient Support cavalry penalty now increases in steps and is based on all front row units.
- Reintroduced 0.03 daily morale damage to deployed troops in battle, but only reinforcements get affected by the modifier.
- Backline can only reinforce 2 regiments per day, +1 per 2 maneuver pips of commanding general.
- Rebalanced artillery pips to be more tactically interesting and contribute less to prolonged battles.

Hopefully this makes morale actually useful again. Seems like good changes, but we'll have to see in practice.

- Slackening Recruiting Standards now only gives one year of manpower instead of two.

RIP

- Spy Network reduces AE now by 30% at 100% Spy Network instead of the previous 10% AE reduction.

Cool

- Being over Governing Capacity now decreases Administrative Efficiency. For every 2% over Governing Capacity you lose 1% Administrative Efficiency. Also, removed the Core Creation Cost penalty for being over Governing Capacity, as overlapped with the new Administrative Efficiency malus.

Also RIP

I'm definitely going to have to prioritise getting a fat spy network on enemies now, goddamn

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

canepazzo posted:

Yeah that's what I meant, if you're landlocked do you get the penalty no matter what?

Presumably not, that'd be incredibly cruel

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
AI naval invasions are absolutely better in the current patch - you can spend about 5 minutes playing as an Irish OPM with a couple of mainland European allies to know that

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, I need a really good reason to not pick Mil

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Groke posted:

They changed in in 1.34 and really the previous way made no sense at all, conjuring up fully-settled and productive provinces out of someone's hunting grounds where nobody was living permanently at all...

It made new world poo poo exceptionally easy

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I always love rinsing allies for subject cores using favours, never not hilarious

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
On a similar note (they cast eu4 together), I like TheRedHawk

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Groke posted:

What I like about his videos is he will make mistakes and have horrible poo poo happen, and just roll with the pain.

I dread to think how many hours he flushes on failed runs where he's given himself way too much to do, especially when trying to break free as a vassal of a huge powerhouse

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Badger of Basra posted:

My personal EU5 wish is fewer provinces. There are way too many, especially ones that are IRL so not-notable they don’t even have Wikipedia pages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5dmxBUbzBU

Rynoto posted:

Speed 5 with regular pauses is the true path to warring.

This is the way

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

CommonShore posted:

rofl I think Red Hawk's video today is probably the strongest evidence to date that he doesn't cheat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxddie510S8

:allears: absolutely flawless

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Playing the Angevins is fun once you reach the point where AE is just a number, because goddamn does the HRE hate me now

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Sheep posted:

Are the Union parliamentary acts only doable via first pressing the decision button?

I was kind of miffed that I apparently let PU'd France get too big and had to figure out how to whittle them down to sub-25 provinces (aka integrate for like 40 years) to hit the button and quit out of frustration instead.

Yeah, as far as I can tell.

I had the same issue, I'd let them get to 28 provinces and it sucked. I ended up having to release a couple of nations that still had cores on French territory and then use favours to return cores.

Somehow still quicker to farm a couple hundred favours than the 40+ years to integrate

Mooseontheloose posted:

Laith is that you?

Pfft, as if I'd be someone who did videos about Hogfarts Legacy

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Pop out a vassal with cores on both your territory and theirs and use favours to ask for them back

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jay Rust posted:

France is already my PU. Can you get favours with a junior partner?

For what it's worth it wasn't MY gently caress up exactly, well it was, I just didn't consider that they might annex their vassals and get out of the range of that decision

Yeah you get favours pretty fast in my experience. This is how I fixed France having 28 provinces pre-nerf in my current Angevin playthrough

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The worst part about the HYW is hoping the War of the Roses doesn't fire at the same time

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

If I'm reading this right France is your Vassal. I'm pretty sure you can just seize individual border provinces in exchange for Liberty Desire.

You don't get to do that if they're a junior partner in a PU (which France almost certainly is, the HYW CB makes them one)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Detheros posted:

4. I'm currently in the Dutch Revolt disaster and holy crap is it a weak disaster, lmao

It really really is, having seen multiple guides suggesting moving your capital to avoid it, I couldn’t be arsed this time as England > Angevin and it’s a cakewalk. Leave a couple of stacks in northern France/the lowlands and go on your merry way

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

cheetah7071 posted:

it is a bit disappointing that a disaster whose real-world equivalent is called "the eighty years war" is so underwhelming

The Twenty Years Mild Inconvenience

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Detheros posted:

Greece game going well.

:v:

Noted old colonial power Brazil

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Once you're the undisputed #1 great power, how's best to convert that into an actual world conquest? I've revoked as the Angevin Empire and have pretty much the entire of Europe as my vassal, but I'm really struggling with the diplo point requirements from unjustified demands.

I thought the general advice was to use the Holy War CB but I'm finding that crippling. Is there a different CB I should be using?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

canepazzo posted:

What's crippling about Holy War? Especially with the vassal swarm you should be breezing any war. Otherwise you need Diplo tech 23 for imperialism.

It's not about fighting the war, absolutely no-one can stop me even ignoring my vassal swarm. The problem is that taking provinces, vassalising or feeding vassals is costing a fortune in diplo points. I'm at -900 or something stupid.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Groke posted:

With the Deus Vult CB, you pay 0 diplo points for anything you take from the primary war target. You will have to pay for unjustified demands if you take something from their allies though, so do that only sparingly (you can afford a bit, just don't go overboard).

At this point basically everyone who isn't already your subject is a heretic or heathen, so have filled out Religious ideas and make sure you own a province or two here and there that border your next primary enemies. Declare a war, crush them, take 100% war score of provinces. Take them for yourself in the peace deal and then hand them out to your vassals, this lets you use your own admin efficiency to determine war score cost and also saves you from the insanity of assigning each occupation during the war. Give everything to your vassals in long thin strips, except keep (temporarily) a province or two here and there at the front so you border your next targets and get the free CB against them. Rinse and repeat, turn the Old World into a multicoloured ribbon nightmare.

Alright this makes sense, I think I've been getting screwed over by co-belligerenting allies and taking their provinces. I tested just taking the primary target's stuff and yeah, no diplo cost.

That's a frustrating loss of time and diplo points that I might not recover from

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

canepazzo posted:

At that point in time you'll get the dip back in 4-5 years, I wouldn't worry. It's not like being behind in diplo tech will screw you, and you're not integrating or annexing anyone anytime soon anyway.

It’s more a race against the 100 years left on the clock, though that said I do have control of the whole new world already which from what I understand is the hardest part (thanks Portugal/Spain!)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

canepazzo posted:

If there is 100 years left you should have the imperialism CB already, no?

I'm a diplo tech short because I've been taking so much stuff through unjustified demands :v:

Jay Rust posted:

Can you demand things that cost diplo points in a peace deal if you're already in negative diplo points?

Yep! As long as it wouldn't put you below -999 its fair game

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

THE BAR posted:

Didn't even know there was a negative cap. That sounds rough. Have you reached India/SEA? You might have to sit and recuperate those points to get diplo 23, but I don't envy taking all those stupid Oceania islands with less than 100 years left.

Yeah, I'm currently at war with Delhi. It'll be a race for sure :)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Ah well, at least all the YouTube guide makers can get another video out

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I feel like the game has gotten better at giving you a regional and world end boss to take on, but also you only ever get one satisfying war against them, because win that and they're not a challenge any more

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Groke posted:

You can still progress in your mission tree if you just dismantle the drat thing instead, I believe?

You can, but if you're playing as the Angevins it'll lock you out of the Brentry achievement

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I'm thinking about trying the DLC subscription for a month on Steam. Is that the type where you cancel right after subscribing and it lets you keep it for the rest of the month? I don't want to have to remember to cancel before the deadline.

Yeah, this should work. Careful though, I found I really liked EU4 with the subscription and couldn't go back

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Magissima posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/europa-universalis-iv-king-of-kings-recap-1-36-free-qol-features-new-monuments.1602564/

Hot drat, autonomous missionaries and notifications when edicts become unnecessary! More nice QoL changes too

drat, these are some great QoL changes

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

atvrager posted:

Yeah, HRE provinces can't be in a TC. There was something with it you used to be able to cheese with the add all button, but I believe that got patched out a while back.

Yeah, you'd be able to stack a huge amount of imperial authority by repeatedly TCing and HREing provinces, leading to incredibly fast revokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm6mC3SGQ6U

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jazerus posted:

eu4 becomes a slog at the exact moment when you start to feel that declaring war on spain is your best option

Yup this is exactly where I get bored too

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I see the EU4 DLC subscription price has been bumped up in price

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Is it still really labor-intensive to do a full world conquest? I'd like to try it sometime since I've conquered half the world many times but never got close to a WC.

Pretty much, though it's less awful if you do it with an HRE revoke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The Paradox Tinto (EU4) studio manager is starting to get feedback on <unannounced game>

You've got to imagine this basically has to be a soft announcement of EU5.