Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

King Lazer posted:

I'm glad the focus is on funny.

I don't think I'd be a good curator though. The regular goon sense of humor falls flat to me, and I don't get very many of the references I see used.

It really is harder than one might think, I owe G0m and Garbageday some serious respect. I spent like an hour trying to figure out this one image of a log-flume ride from Adventurehog and eventually just had to give up, I could not figure out the joke and neither could the three people I showed it to OR Google search-by-image.

Really, I learned a ton of lessons from doing Banker.bmp and I hope they'll improve this year's crop. For example I'm gonna save my art-historian bullshit for an optional last-page comments thing that always moves the conversation to "join the forums!" and I redid the watermark to use the font and logo Lowtax prefers. I'm pushing for this week, fingers crossed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

It really is harder than one might think, I owe G0m and Garbageday some serious respect. I spent like an hour trying to figure out this one image of a log-flume ride from Adventurehog and eventually just had to give up, I could not figure out the joke and neither could the three people I showed it to OR Google search-by-image.

Really, I learned a ton of lessons from doing Banker.bmp and I hope they'll improve this year's crop. For example I'm gonna save my art-historian bullshit for an optional last-page comments thing that always moves the conversation to "join the forums!" and I redid the watermark to use the font and logo Lowtax prefers. I'm pushing for this week, fingers crossed.

:patriot:
I believe in you BoldFrankensteinMir.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

if you're talking about mine google kansas water slide accident.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

if you're talking about mine google kansas water slide accident.

Oh, okay. Yeah, was the one, it went right over my head.

Will try to get it posted after work tonight.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
I made references to the popular Duck Races and to the Disneyland ride It's a Small World (over in the Adventure Hog thread).

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Cool! The Disneyland one got in I know. Duckies suffered the last round of cuts, I think? Everything's curated, I'm just waiting on access and trying to come up with comments.

For the record just because I don't get a joke doesn't mean it won't get in. But I'm of the theory that if you're going to make a referencial joke you should try to make the image funny even without the reference. There weren't many bad eggs this time, but I don't mind discarding ones I don't get and are just "rowboat duck in franchise X" AND you didn't spoilertag a hint for us mere mortals, come on, help me out here...

You guys are great, thank you for all the support.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Should I just post write-ups of my posts here for curating purposes? Because I can list everything.

And what do you consider to be 'unfunny' or 'bad eggs'?

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Artsygrrl posted:

Should I just post write-ups of my posts here for curating purposes? Because I can list everything.

And what do you consider to be 'unfunny' or 'bad eggs'?

I dunno, explaining all the jokes might ruin the fun. If you really care about getting into phridays just try really hard to make images that are funny whether the viewer gets a reference or not.

As for 'unfunny' and 'bad egg', humor is totally subjective and I really can't give you a rubric for it. Just try to make people laugh and don't expect a low-effort image to wow anybody, we've been doing these things for what, over a decade now? I don't think I'm off base holding y'all to high expectations, especially when I'm hitting 60+ images in 8 or 9 pages for these articles.

TL;DR be funny. Funny outranks everything.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

None of this is me inpugning anybody in particular, mind ya.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Not worried about that, but I was not sure if both groups were on the same page about what is considered sub-par content. Just wanted to see if we were! :v:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I can contact some via discord if they don't have pms.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 19, 2019

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

We could also just use this thread, I could post confusing 'shops and ask for clarification.

But seriously, Phridays is aimed at general audiences. If your joke needs something explained for it to be funny, it's probably not as good as it could be.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'd say if a shop has someone staring at it for an hour, that's hilarious in a different way tbh.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'd say if a shop has someone staring at it for an hour, that's hilarious in a different way tbh.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Is a frontpage reader not entitled to the vagueness of goon in-jokes?
'No!' says the man low of taxes, 'In-jokes belong to the forums.'

I accepted this answer; indeed, I chose more of the same.
I chose the available. I chose...
Never posting any new Photoshop Phriday!

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Lowtax says he's free tonight, we'll see what happens...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Lowtax make the frontpage

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Adventurehogs are go!

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

:toot: Tsunami hog gets to be the thumbnail I can't believe it :3:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Extremely blessed Phriday. Nice.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
Per admin approval, I will be handling photoshop phriday from here on out, and requests should be directed to me. Thanks for loving pupkin!

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

ol yeller posted:

Per admin approval, I will be handling photoshop phriday from here on out, and requests should be directed to me. Thanks for loving pupkin!

Great! Here's the latest watermark:

The formatting for all images is 590 pixels wide (make sure to use best interpolation for enlarging vs shrinking, I could never get the batch function to do it right but I'm dumb) and Lowtax insists on high quality Jpgs, I do not know why but I'm sick of fighting him over it. Blue Highway is the official site font if it ever matters.

Let me now if you need anything! And thank you!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Banker 3 is live. I'm really interested to see what the reception is, I went all-in.

Oh christ no. As well done as it all is (and extreme thanks for resurrecting phridays) I was really not expecting making that page 8. Let's hope nobody saw it.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

This is the response I was aiming for, thank you.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
Thanks for the recent Phridays!

ol yeller posted:

I know the focus has been on more recent threads, but I wanted to point out that we're about to hit one year since the excellent "What is Lowtax pointing at?" thread.

If it helps, I actually made a spreadsheet of what I think are the best edits (which may or may not be all of them, I don't remember). Note: It does not contain anything from the last 2 pages.

This is all because it's been a year and it's still relevant to the recent fund-drive-thing and is in no way self-promoting my own submission in the thread I swear to got.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

A couple people have expressed concerns that I've been trolled, and that Ol Yeller is not actually taking over phridays? If that's the case then, well, good joke I guess, I don't really get it but then that's the point?

...though you could have at least made something... like just one Photoshop would have made it a substantially better troll...

Anyway if there's nothing up this week I'll work on another article for next Phriday, assuming I can flag down the tax man. Or, if OY (our anybody) does want to help I'll gladly assist. Whatever it takes, you loony goons.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Is this also a place to nominate Tuesday Goldmines and such? Because there's this going on in the comics thread which might deserve exposure:

Karate Bastard posted:

I feel both pride and shame

poo poo I ruined the punchline

Arkannoyed posted:

I suck at drawing, but here you go:

QUACKTASTIC posted:

closer to the source:

burexas.irom posted:

Now someone do I Don't Like Thing.

There have been more since.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is this also a place to nominate Tuesday Goldmines and such? Because there's this going on in the comics thread which might deserve exposure:

There have been more since.

These are lovely! I second the nomination.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
A goldmine will be really timely in light of the author of same being found out as pro-life:

Even more edits in thread and probably more to follow.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A goldmine will be really timely in light of the author of same being found out as pro-life:

Even more edits in thread and probably more to follow.

Make a thread about it in GBS and quote those posts in the op.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
When is the next one due?

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

When I have a moment free again and can flag down the Taxman. And probably after I finish the next Goblins update which is already abysmally late.

I'll try for next week but I'm not promising anything.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

When I have a moment free again and can flag down the Taxman. And probably after I finish the next Goblins update which is already abysmally late.

I'll try for next week but I'm not promising anything.

Goblins?

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

My old CYOA. I'm trying desperately to finish it so I can free up the slot for other forums projects like Phridays, but I have had very little free time so far this year and I'm only a little more than half done with a single update. Even that is a minor miracle, I'm working on four different projects for work right now and it's kind of a nightmare.

I wish it was different, I really do. But, honestly, this is just kind of what happens in a community that absolutely will not allow links to patreons or any other direct monetization platforms. I totally understand why we do it that way and I'm not even saying we should change it. But as long as it's in place we have to resign ourselves to whatever scraps writers and artists have left to share. I've been trying to find somebody else to do this article, very publicly, for 6 months now and nobody has time. I can't blame them, I clearly don't either!

I will seriously try for next week, thanks for sticking around the Cheap Show :cheers:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

My old CYOA. I'm trying desperately to finish it so I can free up the slot for other forums projects like Phridays, but I have had very little free time so far this year and I'm only a little more than half done with a single update. Even that is a minor miracle, I'm working on four different projects for work right now and it's kind of a nightmare.

I wish it was different, I really do. But, honestly, this is just kind of what happens in a community that absolutely will not allow links to patreons or any other direct monetization platforms. I totally understand why we do it that way and I'm not even saying we should change it. But as long as it's in place we have to resign ourselves to whatever scraps writers and artists have left to share. I've been trying to find somebody else to do this article, very publicly, for 6 months now and nobody has time. I can't blame them, I clearly don't either!

I will seriously try for next week, thanks for sticking around the Cheap Show :cheers:

Ah, ok that thing. But you are wrong about the Patreons etc. Plenty of people post their own Patreons here, and I asked in QQCS if it's allowed, and the admins said that it was. And even if you just wanted to con people to give you money for Steam games like a mod did, it's still allowed.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Really? I was told no way no how by a mod just this week. We need to all get on the same page about that, it's a huge bottleneck.

Edit- just reconfirmed, Patreons are not allowed, referred to in the official rules as "semi-spam". And I see the point, let one person do it and the avalanche will destroy us.

Edit edit- the official rule:

"Please do not post crap asking us to vote for you on some website, give you referrals for free iPods / flatscreens / spare tires, or any other semi-spam things."

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 26, 2019

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah? WELL...

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Nice.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

We should have 2 phridays per week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU