Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cool Ghost posted:

The only reference I can think of is that Teliko and a character from Acid 2 are available as recruits via password in Portable Ops.

They managed to get referenced in the other game that never gets referenced. Hurrah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Didn't the Acid games get referenced in some of the side story modes in MGS2: Substance?

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
There's a name referenced in Ghost Babel and one of Substance's Snake Tales that's also used in Acid 2, yeah. Somewhere between an easter egg and a reference, because I'd assume there was no intention to make a namedrop into a full character at the time.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MysticalMachineGun posted:

They managed to get referenced in the other game that never gets referenced. Hurrah?
excuse me, I reference mgs poops all the time

...only so I can type the phrase "mgs poops", ideally all lower case

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's "PoOps"

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Cool Ghost posted:

I had to decide if I wanted to do Ebro Tower "properly" and engage with the mechanics, or if I just wanted to use Stealth. I never really used it in Acid 2 back in the day, though.

Please do it properly, the tower's mechanics are absolutely hilarious and they deserve to be shown in their full atrocity.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Part Twenty-Four: The Super Spy's New Clothes

Here we are, Ebro Tower.

It's stage 9 of 14, but with all the A's and B's and repeats and two-parters, this is probably more like the halfway point of the game. Ebro Tower itself is three separate missions.

But, before we go in, I have to bid farewell to my good friend and trusty companion Dr. Stealth. Having Stealth would actually ruin Ebro Tower even more than having Stealth in any other mission.

We're back to real story stuff, so Snake immediately gets a call when he gets inside.

Snake: Roger, I've made it to Ebro Tower.
Roger: So what's it feel like, Snake?

Snake hates the girl for her magic ways.

Roger: Snake, pictures taken with our spy satellite show something odd going on at the factory.
Snake: Odd?
Roger: Soldiers going in and out of the factory are wearing strangely-colored uniforms.

Huge if true.

Honestly, though, this is gonna be a lot more important than you might think. It's basically the whole gimmick here.

Roger: We suspect someone is controlling their minds.

Whichever CIA analyst got that from spy satellite photos is a loving genius at their job.

Roger: ...And Clown is a master of hypnotism.

That's a little less menacing than Psycho Mantis being able to read people's minds. Ooh, she'll make you quit smoking. :rolleyes:

Roger: Yes. Clown is in there. And that building is Clown's territory. Who knows what kind of traps are waiting for you?

Alice: I'm getting a strong sense that... ...Clown is a crafty, self-centered...woman.

I read the "...woman" part as being a very sarcastic response to Roger's confusion about Clown's gender before.

Alice: ...Yes. One that would do anything to satisfy the desires of her own mischievous heart.

"She would do anything!" said Alice to Solid Snake, a man created by scientists in a lab to commit extrajudicial murders.

"She has no respect for the laws of nature!" the psychic continued, unironically.

Alice: And she's waiting for you, Snake, armed with weapons of creation and destruction.

I have no clue what a "weapon of creation" would even be. Somebody is just trying to be poetic.

Snake: ...
Alice: First, go to the top floor. A secret is up there. It was hidden there by Clown, but I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps Clown, thinking of herself as God, is up higher than anyone else, looking down on us all.

If she were, she'd be on the plane, genius.

Roger: Go for it, Snake. Infiltrate the factory, and head for the top floor.
Snake: Right.

And so begins the mission proper.

The only enemy in this little reception area is this gun camera.

It's "guarding" an MGS1 pack, but only if you take the long way around the back of the desk. This is "tricky".

Now, on to the factory floor.

There's a guard in there in a red balaclava. Eagle-eyed readers may also spot the red trim on the floor. This is important.

As the red guy continues his patrol, a guard in a blue balaclava comes out of this tiny room into the rival red gang's turf.

For real, though. That guy's dead now.

Roger: What happened, Snake?!

Presumably he heard the gunshots over the radio and is trying to decide if he gets to go home early.

Snake: I'm fine. Just enemies killing each other.
Roger: What could that be all about?

Snake: Soldiers in funny uniforms standing guard. A soldier in blue entered a block full of soldiers in red. The blue soldier was immediately shot down.
Alice: ...I see what's happening.

This game is rated M for Mature. You're not supposed to play it if you're under 17.

So, if you didn't get the trick on this one, here's Alice to spell it out.

Alice: The soldiers were just following orders. The order was to eliminate soldiers wearing uniforms of a different color than their own.

Okay, I get where they're going with this, but I'm just gonna throw this out there: why? Everybody on the island, regardless of their uniform colour, is on orders to kill Solid Snake. This is a stealth game. What possible reason is there for Snake to engage with this on the enemy's terms?

Let's just say he, uh, forgot about guns.

Alice: I told you. This isn't a trap, it's a trick. Every trick has its loophole. Without that, the game can't be played. Clown wants to beat you with tricks, sir, to satisfy her sense of... fair play.

Well, gently caress, it would be irresponsible of him to deny her that one.

Roger: Snake, I'm sure some enemy soldier uniforms are being kept somewhere. Search every nook and cranny of that facility.
Snake: Yes, sir.

:sigh: And so, the mission is changed to "get Snake some new duds." There are three uniforms to collect, but they're all fairly close by.

Inside the factory, there's the guy in red we saw in the cutscene.

And, upstairs, a guy in green on a green-trimmed floor. The colour of the trim, by the way, is how you know which uniform you need to wear.

Fun fact: this green guy seems to have hosed up AI. When I was playing the level, he'd occasionally get a glimpse of Snake, but he stops and turns around at the ladders on either end of his catwalk rather than go over to investigate.

There's also a red guard over by these stairs. He doesn't matter right now.

First stop is this little room to the left of the door, where the blue guard was before he got shot.

It has two of the three uniforms you need - first up is blue.

Snake: This is it. Roger, I found an enemy soldier's uniform.
Roger: Well done. That should make infiltrating much easier.
Snake: Now, now. It's too early to get all comfy. It looks like three types of guards are patrolling this facility--red, blue, and green.
Roger: Which means you need to find three types of uniforms.
Snake: That's right.

This episode of Metal Gear Acid was brought to you by the letter "S" and the number "3".

Over in the corner is the red uniform.

Roger: Looks like you found one.
Snake: Yeah. I'm almost ready. I just need to search a little longer.

The red guard is standing in front of the door that has the blue uniform behind it.

"Burn and die!"

There's a guard in here! What's a guy to do?

For the record, there's no penalty for killing the guards other than the score penalty at the end of the level. It's also not an instant game over to go onto the factory floor without a uniform. There is absolutely no reason for Snake to be doing this uniform hunt.

Yet here we are.

Snake: Roger, I've got all the enemy uniforms.
Roger: Well done. You'll have to leave this area in order to integrate the enemy uniforms into your deck.

And there's the second part of the gimmick. Naturally, each uniform is a unique card and you need to draw them to use them. This means that in order to build an effective deck to take through this level, you have to: A, buy a bunch of card packs to get enough uniforms to actually use reasonably; B, blow up your deck composition to include a bunch of lovely disguise cards.

Roger: Head back to the entrance, Snake.

Well, let's go.

The guard in green heard me kill someone because the XM8 isn't silenced. He won't do jack poo poo about it, but he heard it.

It caused him to look in Snake's direction, which means that technically his vision cone is in my way.

But only at the very edge. Green exclamation points don't count as being seen - they won't trigger Alert Phase and you don't get a score penalty.

So it's just a quick run back to the door.

And, if you didn't believe me about the green exclamation points.

Wow, Cost minus FOUR!? The MGS1 pack is full of miracles.

Each of the different uniforms has not just a massive 8 Cost, but a slightly different effect.

Red gives you front and back body armour. They all only have 50% chance of activating when you're attacked, though.

Blue is only front armour.

And green is only back. None of these effects really matter, because they're worse than the other armour cards in the game, which are all 360 degree protection, so you never have any reason to actually use them outside of Ebro Tower.

Oh, I also got two clear bonus cards.

Holy poo poo, dude, you don't actually have to call Snake about every door.

Roger: Don't forget to add the Enemy Soldier Uniform to your deck.

...I forgot to see what happens if you try to skip doing this, or if you try to just shortcut this level entirely.

Alice: Oh yeah, and Snake? You should put "C4" in your deck, too.

Alice wants to watch some dudes get blown the gently caress up.

Roger: Alice, why?
Alice: Just trust me. Please.

Good ol' Solid Snake.

Next time: juggling disguises and wasting a truly enormous amount of time (Cost)!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
The uniform gimmick at least makes more sense than the Zanzibar Hamsters. Snake's probably just inured to going with whatever whacky scheme the radio proposes these days.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
The uniform bit feels like filler. All it did was make you waste time running around.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

Cool Ghost posted:

...I forgot to see what happens if you try to skip doing this, or if you try to just shortcut this level entirely.

I went back to do this, and what happens is... nothing. There's nothing stopping you from going directly to the eventual goal of the mission, but when you get there, nothing happens. There's no flag or whatever, so you just end up in a dead end. Very natural obstacle.

Rosemont posted:

The uniform bit feels like filler. All it did was make you waste time running around.

I want to get into it a bit more next update, but this strikes me as a totally normal Metal Gear type of situation that doesn't translate to Acid's mechanics. In MGS, you might have to explore a bit for the uniforms, but then you'd immediately be able to progress, and it would be like one long level. Acid's much slower and you have to go into the level, back out, through a bunch of menus, and back in, where you can get stonewalled because you have to deal with how hands and decks work. It turns a fine obstacle into a very clunky one. As I recall, this is one of the things Acid 2 is better about.

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes

Cool Ghost posted:

Huge if true.

"She has no respect for the laws of nature!" the psychic continued, unironically.

I have no clue what a "weapon of creation" would even be. Somebody is just trying to be poetic.

Presumably he heard the gunshots over the radio and is trying to decide if he gets to go home early.

This LP is a very good LP and makes me actually laugh out loud.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
In hindsight, Alice's tip is actually pretty solid, but given how much of a pain Ebro Tower is you'll probably forget it before it becomes relevant.

By the way, what does Meiling's card actually do? The tooltip is very... not useful.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

Ace of Aces posted:

In hindsight, Alice's tip is actually pretty solid, but given how much of a pain Ebro Tower is you'll probably forget it before it becomes relevant.

By the way, what does Meiling's card actually do? The tooltip is very... not useful.

Oh, right, I haven't talked about Interference.

Interference is a game mechanic that comes up very rarely. If you look at this M4 card, you can see three arrows: a blue one pointing up; a green one pointing right; and a red one pointing down. These indicate its Interference effects on other equipped cards.

When you equip cards, they go in the equip slots on the upper right of the screen - in this shot, you can see Snake has a box equipped, and there's the little box icon in the corner. Interference makes card placement "matter". When a card has Interference arrows on it, it affects the next card in that direction. For example:

[ A ][ B ][ C ]
[ D ][ E ][ F ]
[ G ][ H ][ I ]

If you equip the M4 shown earlier into slot E, its blue arrow points to B, the green arrow points to F, and the red arrow points to H. So the card in B gets the blue effect, the card in F gets the green effect, and the card in H gets the red effect. The effects are:

Red - affected card gets ATK + 10, DEF - 10
Blue - affected card gets ATK - 10, DEF + 10
Green - affected card gets Reaction Probability + 10%, ATK - 5, DEF - 5

This means, if you're fastidious about it, you can use Interference to maximise the potential of your weapons and armour. There are two problems, though. First, you only get two equip slots by default - one on the right and one on the left. This makes up/down Interference totally useless unless you use Equip Lv. 2 or 3. Second, the effects are relatively minor, so you're better off using weapon attachments and other support cards than you are trying to build your deck to make Interference effects a big part of it. It comes out as one of those things that's nice when it happens, but that you can (and will) forget about for most regular gameplay.

Anyway, to answer your question, what Mei Ling's card does is it doubles those Interference effects. This makes her at least the third card in a three-card combo, so niche at best.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
Ouch. I figured it would be something like increasing the timer on chaff or whatever... jeez.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
If it weren't cards you have to draw from your deck to equip and instead, you know, actually just equipment, I could see this being a vaguely interesting system. More worth fiddling around with than the stats on the different colored uniforms, at least.

Cool Ghost posted:

Anyway, to answer your question, what Mei Ling's card does is it doubles those Interference effects. This makes her at least the third card in a three-card combo, so niche at best.

Does she double the negative effects as well? Because that's hella not worth a card.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

HitTheTargets posted:

Does she double the negative effects as well? Because that's hella not worth a card.
I don't recall seeing any equipment which actually had both ATK and DEF on it, it was all like "this is a gun, it has ATK" and "This is an armor, it has DEF".

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
There's no reason to believe Mei Ling wouldn't double bad effects, but yeah, nothing has ATK and DEF at the same time, so you'd just have to be careful to not misplace cards.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Part Twenty-Five: Solid Snake Dressup Doll Flash Game

Here we are again, back in the ol' intermission.

I've got to rearrange the deck to put the uniforms in, but unfortunately you only get one of each from the mission itself. For the record, you have to pass through two areas of each uniform colour to complete the mission, so if you want to complete the mission with minimal cost you put Stealth in there and walk past everyone while using Cost reducers need at least two of each uniform to avoid having to reload your deck.

So it's time to buy a ton of MGS2 packs! :toot:

This is a "good" time to grind for points and build up your stock of cards, as far as they go, but... grinding kind of sucks. I just savescummed until I had a bunch of cards.

Before I go into the mission, Phase Down is a card I thought was neat, and it's rare for some reason, so it seemed good to show off. Pretty niche usecase, though, because you should be avoiding alerts as much as possible. :shrug:

I also think it's interesting that the SAA is an MGS2 pack card, despite having a larger role in MGS1 and MGS3.

The last card I wanted to show off is Hand Grip, which lets you hang over railings for longer. You need to use an additional card to hang at all, by the way, that's not a "normal" move you can do. This one's in the game for the hanging enthusiasts.

Anyhow, here's what the deck I'll be running for this one looks like. A bunch of uniforms, a bunch of movement, a bunch of Cost reducers, two blocks of C4, and a single SOCOM. Essentially, this deck is purpose-built to get me through this specific mission as quickly as possible without using Stealth or just killing everyone (so, practically speaking, just about as slowly as possible).

Naturellement.

Roger: Looks like you've added the Enemy Soldier Uniform to your deck. Wear a uniform that matches the color of those worn by enemy soldiers in each section, and you should be able to get by safely.

In this call is a reminder about crawling. I don't know why they felt the need to call out such a basic mechanic here.

Roger: Keep that in mind.

I like to think Roger's just trying to add a little something to the call. "Hey, Snake, think about crawling."

Let's get started, then.

Hm, not a great hand.

You need a red uniform to walk through this ground floor area.

Fun fact: the first time you go to Ebro Tower, you can use Cost reducers to take your turn before the guards in this room get a first move, but this time it works like it normally does and everyone gets to go even if you keep your Cost at 0.

And here's another fun fact: this is actually an abortive attempt at this mission, because if you look, you can see that it took all the way until the last 8 cards in my deck for me to draw the loving red uniform. I didn't even move from the starting point for this shot, and yet I've blown through a bunch of Cost and most of my cards because it's poo poo design to make you need something that only comes up based on luck.

So I started over. This time, there are a bunch of uniforms in my starting hand. But no movement. What a hassle.

I threw on the red uniform, which at least has the decency to change Snake's model.

Now i can walk freely through here.

The green guy on the catwalk still has a somewhat inconvenient vision cone, but still doesn't do anything/doesn't get close enough to "spot" you.

Very exciting image, to be sure. The guards in fact do not shoot you if you wear the uniform.

Now, I just want to take a moment to talk about this mission in terms of Metal Gear games. Having to use an enemy uniform is a recurring mechanic in Metal Gear (mandatory in MG1, MGS2, MGS3, optional in MGS4, and a major mechanic in PoOps) and makes logical sense in a stealth game.

There are three big issues with it here, though. First is the random draw thing I brought up earlier. The second is that having the three colours doesn't make it more difficult, only more tedious. You go into a new area and have to look at the wall and say "oh what colour uniform is it now?" and then you wait to draw one and equip it.

Maybe a guard catches up to you while you're changing. Then you're caught, but not because of anything you did. Maybe it just took you five turns to draw the right colour, regular ol' bad luck.

It's not a challenge. It's not even really an obstacle. The best term for it would be "application of method."

The third big issue is the number of enemies on the map. There aren't enough. Generally, when you do this kind of uniform sequence, you need the uniform because you can't avoid being seen (MG1) or because you need to be seen (MGS2, MGS3). It's totally possible to get through this mission without being seen, though, even by just properly applying sneaking techniques.

We're supposed to be "playing a game against Clown" in the diegesis, but Clown isn't actually here to play the game.

This isn't Clown's game. This is Alice's game.

Snake's not caught in a trap. He's the victim of an office prank.

Anyway. On the upper level here, there are "two" ways to go. The right one is to go down the ladder and across the catwalk.

Because it looks like a dead end, it may not be apparent this is the right way to go.

Going the other way, past the catwalk and into this little room, there's a terminal.

Snake: The west end of the second floor is closed off by a wall. What's the deal with this section?
Roger: Section?
Snake: The map shows a small room on the other side of the northeast wall.
Alice: It's a hidden room.

I like to think for this particular exchange that Metal Gear 1 is super canon to this game, because like every fourth room in that game was hidden behind a destructible wall.

Roger: Snake, try blasting that wall with some C4.

Just think that Snake had to figure this out by himself about a dozen times in Outer Heaven, but now Roger's explaining it to him.

And that's why she told you to bring C4 to this mission, even though it seemed like a non-sequitur and a weirdly rough moment in the writing.

In reality, though, none of that is canon. I reloaded a savestate because I didn't want to waste the Cost/time to walk back to the catwalk. The terminal is totally optional, there only to help players who don't realise that the wall can be blown up.

The catwalk guard is actually, for my money, the hardest obstacle on this map. He's got Front Evade 2 on, which means he will 100% dodge the first attack you launch on him from the front or the side.

He can also counter these and shoot Snake's body with bullets. This is not ideal for Snake. It also gets you spotted.

I solved the puzzle by waiting until Snake was properly behind him and then "punching" him.

Thankfully, you can move onto the tile with his unconscious body and climb the ladder.

"Huh, looks like I got kicked in the back of the skull and knocked out."

"Whatever."

Time to go into this room now.

There's a guard in here, but you can't see him, so you don't know what colour uniform he's wearing.

It's blue, because: 1, the band around the wall of the room is blue; 2, these side rooms were also blue downstairs. You have to recongise the pattern yourself for this one - it's the only time on the map that you can't use the camera to see the guard immediately.

Here's where I remembered I had 2 C4 cards in the deck. The whole rest of the mission, I thought I'd only brought one, so I'd been keeping it in my hand.

Getting to the wall, Roger calls.

Roger: What's wrong, Snake?

Imagine if someone phoned you and just immediately asked what was wrong.

Snake: It's a dead end. Clown isn't here.

This cutscene is here because I loaded that save where I didn't go to the terminal, so Snake doesn't know there's a room behind the wall.

Roger: ...Did you see the southwest terminal?

How did you see the southwest terminal, is what I want to know.

Roger: There may be a clue written there. Go take a look.
Snake: Got it.

Now imagine if the terminal were, like, a regular person's office computer. Solid Snake on there, lookin' for the blueprints or whatever, sifting through a million files with names like SCHEDULE_OCTOBER_FINAL-2_DRAFT_REVISED_FINAL_NEW.docx.

"Don't put a SOCOM in the deck in the first act unless it's going to be used to shoot some C4 in the third act." - Anton Chekhov.

Setting off the C4 triggers an alert.

It doesn't matter, though. For whatever reason, no guards will actually come to this area. Maybe they don't go out of their coloured areas, so they can't actually navigate this far? :iiam:

Oh, gently caress off. The game stops your movement to tell you that the hallway you found is a hallway.

Roger: Clown is most likely at the end of it. Go down the passage, Snake. Defeat Clown, and get Pythagoras back.

Gotta make sure that the player knows to do the thing that they literally have to be in the middle of doing to even trigger this.

Going halfway down the hall makes the mission end unceremoniously.

By the way, I went back and checked what happens if you come here before you pick up the uniforms. There's nothing on the map to stop you coming up here, blowing up the wall, then walking to the elevator, but if you do... nothing happens. The trigger to end the mission just isn't there. You go up to the elevator, but nobody calls Snake to tell him how it works, so he's completely stymied.

Most of that Cost is from standing around and discarding to get new uniforms in my hand. Love to get my rank downgraded not because of my actual play, but because of the game's own internal mechanics.

I could have gone out of my way to pick up an MGS2 pack, but I didn't.

And, as always: why are these still MGS1 cards?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
What a terribly designed level

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This reminded me of MegaMan Battle Network's GameCube game, where this situation was distressingly common. Your important movement options (Dash, Double Jump) were all Battle Chips so you had to draw them to use them. It's really bad design. IIRC the Wonder Swan game (which also wanted to turn BN into a classic Mega Man) just let you equip Chips instead.

At least here it's just for this mission, right? I can't imagine this is a normal game mechanic.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

This reminded me of MegaMan Battle Network's GameCube game, where this situation was distressingly common. Your important movement options (Dash, Double Jump) were all Battle Chips so you had to draw them to use them. It's really bad design. IIRC the Wonder Swan game (which also wanted to turn BN into a classic Mega Man) just let you equip Chips instead.

At least here it's just for this mission, right? I can't imagine this is a normal game mechanic.

At least Network Transmission let you lock chips as your default draw, guaranteeing them every pull.

Meant a lot of sitting around sometimes, though, giving you that for free.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, you never need to use the uniforms again in the game. I don't even know if they change Snake's appearance outside of this mission.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I might be jumping the gun, but I think the card game aspect of gameplay is something of a hindrance to the usual MGS formula.

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

HitTheTargets posted:

I might be jumping the gun, but I think the card game aspect of gameplay is something of a hindrance to the usual MGS formula.

I think it's more the execution than an inherent problem. Ac!d 2 tends to be a lot better about it.

The biggest problem with this one is definitely on this stage, in my opinion, since it's such a drat slog, and for really no other reason than because other Metal Gear games did it.
Speaking of which, I think generally the biggest problem this game has is absolutely its habit of interrupting your turn for codec calls - in regular MGS games when that happens you're safe during it (codec is totally secure, after all); in Ac!d it may leave you hanging around in the open because you didn't get to complete your move.

Ace of Aces fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 4, 2018

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

Ace of Aces posted:

(and goes back into more MGS surrealism...).

Please don't spoil things from either this game or Acid 2.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Key cards...

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI

Cool Ghost posted:

Please don't spoil things from either this game or Acid 2.

Sorry, fixed.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Part Twenty-Six: The Twin Snakes

Snake: That demented prankster's practically inviting me in!

Not content merely with making the guards switch out their balaclavas, Clown put in the whole elevator shaft just to mess with Snake.

Everybody's very surprised by the elevator today.

Snake: What's wrong?
Roger: Your image suddenly showed up on this monitor.
Snake: What could that mean?
Roger: It's our spy satellite monitor.

Hell of a camera on the thing, then.

I enjoy the use of the exclamation points here. It makes him seem so mad about the whole thing.

Snake: Yes.
Roger: Wha...who could be responsible for this? Never mind. You need to go get Clown, Snake. She's a master of disguise. So be careful!
Snake: Got it.

All the guards in the other part of the building are extremely calm, considering Snake blew up a wall to get to the elevator.

Meanwhile, Snake's DTs have gotten even worse.

Snake: !!!

The game has Second Snake's name/portrait as Hans, so you don't get confused.

Snake: I get it. You must be Clown. Disguised as me.

I wouldn't want to be the soldier who ended up with the name "Clown." Solid Snake's a silly name, but at least it sounds sort of tough.

Hans: My name is Hans Davis.

Hans: You've met Flemming? Who are you?

Well, you're not gonna believe what Flemming had to say on the topic.

Snake: But...you're my spitting image. And you sure don't look like a fake.

Great use of understatement here.

There's no, like, line in between those. Getting acquainted with Solid Snake is a nightmare.

Hans: Oh yes. Your name is... Snake.
Snake: So you know my name. Big deal. I'm sure BEAGLE checked up on the Leone Unit and me.

NB that if Teliko was Clown and this is also Clown, Snake actually did tell her his name before. They have met.

I'm trying to think of exactly whom Solid Snake has shot in a cutscene. All I can come up with are Vamp and Sniper Wolf, maybe some unnamed enemies. So I mean, Hans is probably right.

Snake: What?
Hans: You were overcome by a strange feeling a little while ago, weren't you? I could tell from your face.

Hans taking the rare position here that the other guy's too mentally unstable to shoot.

Hans: Everyone has two personalities in them. One of them a persona for everyday public life, and the other the exact opposite. The personality lurking in the one's subconscious is referred to as the "Shadow" in psychological terms.

I'm starting a rumour that the same person who wrote Metal Gear Acid wrote Persona.

Hans: The Shadow negates its symmetrical opposite, the "Light" persona, and in some cases grows to the same level.

I don't think that's correct.

Hans: If it manages to grow large enough, it takes on its own shape, separates from the body, and can walk around on its own. And that, my friend, is why we're both here.

I know that's not correct.

Hans: I am you.
Snake: If you're not Hans Davis, you must be Clown--a master of disguise.

This is probably the best possible response to this situation. Either he didn't listen to Hans's babbling or Snake is just straight up too dumb to fall for this ruse.

Snake: Gotta be one or the other.

Not exactly a strong defence here.

Snake: Roger, did you say I'm showing up on the monitor at headquarters?
Roger: Yes. The screen is fuzzy, but it's definitely you.
Snake: Is there...someone else on screen with me?
Roger: Of course not. If any enemies were on, we'd spot them right away.

So, from Roger's point of view, Snake's just been standing around and then decided to point his gun at the wall.

Roger: What's gotten into you, Snake? I thought I heard you mumbling to yourself for a while, and now you're clearly acting strange.
Snake: Never mind...it's nothing.

The answer you always want to hear when you ask someone what's wrong.

Roger: The source is goin...ou...oon. The scre...cut...sh The Codec...again...wha......ppening?! Snake, can y...hear...m...?

Evidently, Alice has decided to microwave a hot pocket and knocked out the CIA's wifi.

Snake has nothing to say about this.

Hans is also bored.

Snake: So you're...me.
Hans: I'm you.
Snake: I'm...Hans Davis...

Snake: I...created Metal Gear?
Hans: You're the Shadow, and I must be the Light. Or are you the Light, and I the Shadow...?

The game is not cool enough to give you Hans as a new partner at this point.

Hans: If one half dies, the other half goes with it.

Hans: I must get to FAR. See you again, my compatriot.
Snake: Wait! Tell me how to break the Pythagoras code, Hans!

Hans does not tell Snake how to break the Pythagoras code.

By the time he's gotten around the corner, Hans has vanished.

Snake: One of Clown's smoke and mirror tricks, maybe?

What has Clown done at any point in the game that could be characterised as a "smoke and mirror trick"?

Oh, phone.

Roger: Can you make it, Snake?
Roger: Snake.
Snake: No problem.

Roger is extremely chill about all of this.

Well, I'm sure there's nothing weird upstairs!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Okay. I have absolutely no idea what's going on or even if that actually happened, was in Snake's brain, was actually Clown, or whatever.

This truly is Metal Gear.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

MetalGearAcid.jpg

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I remember when this series had plots that made sense. They were still stupid as all hell, but you understood what was going on.

Here? It's a nonstop stream of babble and I will just accept that there are now two snakes running around, one of whom is a spookyghost as far as cameras go.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

The game is named after the kind of trip the writers were on, did you expect anything less?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FoolyCharged posted:

I remember when this series had plots that made sense. They were still stupid as all hell, but you understood what was going on.

Here? It's a nonstop stream of babble and I will just accept that there are now two snakes running around, one of whom is a spookyghost as far as cameras go.

Don't forget that both were originally a single person but the personality he didn't show to the world grew so big it ended up becoming its own individual. Which is, apparently, something that happens.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

At this point I'm hoping that roger reveals he's also hans, leading to a cascade of revelations resulting in every character discovering that there has only been one character in this game all along and that hans just has split personality disorder something awful.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I want it to be like the scene in the first Futurama movie where Fry gets caught in a fire and proceeds to verbatim say "My hair! My larynx! I'm Lars!"

(untagged spoilers for a ten year old Futurama episode, I guess)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I hope none of these people turn out to exist. Imaginations imagining imaginations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

I hope none of these people turn out to exist. Imaginations imagining imaginations.

The only real person turns out to be Jetstream Sam, who smirks at the camera after the credits.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

FoolyCharged posted:

At this point I'm hoping that roger reveals he's also hans, leading to a cascade of revelations resulting in every character discovering that there has only been one character in this game all along and that hans just has split personality disorder something awful.

Make it like Killer 7 where's there's not really a difference between reality and Harman's brain.

Sticky Fingers
Jul 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have no idea what is going on in this game anymore, and I am loving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

W.T. Fits posted:

Someone's being gaslighted here, and I'm not sure if it's me, Snake or both of us. :psyduck:

:emptyquote: