Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Methanar posted:

I don't want to play league of legends but the thoughts are creeping again

Do it, it'll only get worse if you let the urge fester. Better to go ham and burn out ASAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Madcosby posted:

Any advice on how to match up with players of our calibre? We're 4 new players and 1 decent player (me), 30-40 somethings (so watching youtube videos is out) who just like dicking around and my friends wanted to try League Of Legends. We handle bot matches well, but then of course they wanted to try human players, where we got instantly and expectedly decimated

Three of the 4 of our team is literally out of the moba box, so like level 3-4ish. I figured if we play enough ranked games we should lose so often to finally meet the right level of enemies, but is there a way to play 5 newb friends vs 5 other newb friends?

edit: im summoner level 50ish, been playing on off for a couple years. One guy played years ago, is like level 10, and the rest are whatever we leveled to in a single night of matches (like 6 i htink)

would we fare better if me and the level 15 guy made new accounts when creating a party of 5? I think I read pre-mades get matched with very different player levels

Tell your friends the best way to get better at the game is to fight people who are better than you.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

Is a hot dog a samurai

Is it besworded, invincible, in possession of many dashes, and without resources?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I've been playing since just after Lux came out and not once have I ever received so much as even a warning for anything whatsoever. I've had mountains of matches where people were threatening to report me and I just laughed at them and let them know that their report weight would get dropped.

The system only ever chat restricts you if you are really loving up consistently unless you are dumb enough to do something like dropping the n-bomb. (That was the fastest instant report feedback I had ever received to date, 3 seconds after clicking the report button lol). If you get chat restricted, you are way more toxic than you think.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Enigma89 posted:

Someone ran it down to baron :(

We were losing a game super hard, we were starting to come back a bit. They were starting to tilt and all chat each other and I was really feeling it that we could turn this game around. We had one team fight go wrong and one of our teammates who was trying to FF since the start just started to run it down to Baron. We actually ended up winning a fight and we were going to be able to take baron but our ADC went afk because of the guy who was int'ing.

I went through the chat log again and apparently I said something like 'loving jinx is afk' so I wonder if that one curse word cost me all my internet honor.

I know flaming and poo poo in MOBAs is the norm and I know it's not productive at all. It's just kind of a bummer that I went from honor 5 to honor 1 without a warning especially for not saying any sort of vile poo poo.

Ultimately, I did yell and I should be punished so it's not like I didn't sin.

Calling bullshit on that. Post the chat logs they gave you, the system wouldn't even pick something like that up as negative much less punish you over it. I will gladly admit it if I'm wrong, but right now and smells like you're trying to make it sound like you got punished for something light that you didn't deserve a punished for.

Throughout the years I've seen plenty of similar things, and have played in premades with people who have said the same, and not once have I ever heard about someone getting punished for something like that. Of all the people I know who have gotten chat restricted however, they are insanely delusional about what is considered toxic speech or not, and have horrendously warped perceptions of what they actually say to others

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Enigma89 posted:

Pre Game Lobby: Enigma89: no
In Game: Enigma89: dman
Enigma89: that flash
Enigma89: nah its notover
Enigma89: just tha tflash screwed u
Enigma89: n Enigma89: we scale
Enigma89: chill out
Enigma89: i can almost blow him up on my own
Enigma89: im not ffing
Enigma89: im in promos
Enigma89: me?
Enigma89: i was at tower
Enigma89: what did u want me to do
Enigma89: you guys need to stop feeding
Enigma89: dude Enigma89: why did you ult
Enigma89: yo missed ur q
Enigma89: amumu never come mid again
Enigma89: please
Enigma89: this ist he one lane that doesnt need help
Enigma89: muting amumu
Enigma89: just surrender now
Enigma89: now vote fials
Enigma89: vote fails before 20
Enigma89: now you have to wait longer
Enigma89: we can win
Enigma89: amumu can u stop
Enigma89: just
Enigma89: stop iniatinng
Enigma89: just follow me thats it
Enigma89: amumu Enigma89: you dont undersatnd
Enigma89: YOU are the one that is feeding the most
Enigma89: you nee dto follow me
Enigma89: your decision making is terrible
Enigma89: i was trying to contest dragon and i had people near
Enigma89: ah ur muted again
Enigma89: im never gona hit gold 4
Enigma89: this sucks
Enigma89: ben stuck at g5 for so long
Enigma89: JINX
Enigma89: NEED U
Enigma89: JINX
Enigma89: loving jinx went afk [All
]Enigma89: i cant believe how useless this team is]
Enigma89: jinx
Enigma89: you were afk
Enigma89: in the fountain
Enigma89: i saw u
Enigma89: yo uwere AFK
Enigma89: that wa sour chance
[All]Enigma89: me?
[All]Enigma89: dude
[All]Enigma89: i was 2 deaths
[All]Enigma89: while they were at 6
[All]Enigma89: They just have all given up
[All]Enigma89: im the onl yone stil trying
[All]Enigma89: so that number is inflated
[All]Enigma89: these guys wanted to ff at minute 8

Called it. Jesus dude you need to stop talking so much in games, just mute people and ping. I promise you no amount of insulting or toxic behavior is going to get them to change their minds.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Elentor posted:

On my annual trip to get gold skins. 2/1 so far on the provisional series. Starting with TT playing as Brand, haven't trained or touched the game in about a year. Bets on where the 10 game series is gonna land me. :cheers:

Silver is a real possibility by the way.

Last season I was gold 3 from the previous season before that, and then during my promos I had 6 matches where someone on my team disconnected and never came back, 2 matches where someone on my team intentionally fed by going for touchdowns on the enemy nexus, and 1 match where I legitimately lost. The system put me in bronze 4, and I was basically a literal god down there. I had never had so much fun in league of legends than during my time in bronze as a gold player.

My only regret is that the matchmaking system very quickly realized its mistake and started giving me 40-60 LP per win and skipping entire divisions. :negative:

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

CODChimera posted:

I much preferred the old Ezreal VO.

It's the same voice actor and he is way funnier and more interactive lines, I'm not sure what you like over the old one that the new one doesn't have

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

The other problem here is that the game has consistently skewed towards damage being stronger than damage mitigation. Which means that Tanks have to be really good at certain things because the thing they’re meant to be good at doesn’t exist.

Relatedly Riot gives champions with mobility and options higher damage instead of lower damage, so the champions who already have high skill based outplay also get high stats, tanks have low skill based gameplay compared to every other class and in return they should theoretically be able to withstand everyone else for more than 10 seconds at a time but largely they don’t.

As a rammus main, knowing that if a match makes it to late game I'll get melted within 2-3 seconds by the ADC/top laner even with my full build makes me very sad.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

pidan posted:

Do I absolutely need to use "attack move" when playing as ADC, or can I just try right clicking things forever

My last hitting and tracking enemies trying to bush dance became significantly easier once I started learning how to use attack move

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

el dingo posted:

Also full disclaimer I never take my own advice on Leona. I rush mobis + righteous glory and go ham 24/7

This is the only correct way to play Leona no matter what advice you read. I legitimately warn my ADC that I'm going to be going ham 24/7 anytime I pick her

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

yuumi is best picked with a roam heavy team, being roam heavy herself. her w effectively doubles the power of every single mobility skill in the game - imagine for instance if vi q read “propel yourself and one ally forward”. similarly, when paired with a gank heavy jungler or say a zed, you can use their mobility to make yourself more mobile and increase the efficacy and decrease the risk of ganks.

if the enemy tries to counter gank and turn a 3v2 into a 2 for 1 instead of 2 for 0, you can hop to a guy and heal them. not only that but you can not be targeted yourself. for lane pairings, yuumi seems strong with say, an ezreal - you can leverage ezreals escape to make your lane disgustingly unkillable while poking people down

Cat OP?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Elentor posted:

For TT, Yuumi can be a potential PITA in power farm comps depending on her tuning.

There's a real chance she can be a freelo ride to Gold in case you can't get gold for the skin in solo/flex and have a friend willing to play power farm.

That's assuming she doesn't get double banned every match

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

Known permanent target of permabans in solo queue: newbie-friendly enchanter supports

If she turns out to be freelo, like how it was suggested she might be in the post I was responding to, she most likely would be banned frequently

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

mistaya posted:

Honestly they could make ally devour into tahm's ult and leave enemy devour on his regular button and he'd probably be a lot more fun.

Losing a 4v5 because your jungle is so godawful that he gets camped out of his own jungle and then afk's in revenge because we didn't ward out a reksai at lvl 4. Feels bad. ;(

While the dude was a huge rear end in a top hat for afking, I feel like calling him bad for having the audacity to get camped by the enemy team in his jungle is more a failure on the part of his team as less a failure on him.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

mistaya posted:

You can't abandon your lane at lvl 3 to run up to your own wolf camp on Red side or you forfeit your lane AND you probably don't even get there in time anyways, AND the enemy bot and mid could meet you there and kill everyone. It was a Twitch getting murderfucked by a Reksai, we couldn't even get to him before he was dead.

If I see my jungler getting invaded in our jungle, I am absolutely going to drop everything I'm doing and haul rear end over there to help if there's even a chance that I'm going to make it in time, regardless of what level it is. Denying the enemy jungler first blood and possibly giving it to my own jungler is a pretty big advantage in comparison to the handful of CS I might miss at most, and not even counting the numerical advantage or the advantage of not letting your jungler get hosed over early, being a jungler and watching your team not do poo poo while you get counterjungled to hell and back is the fastest way to get tilted off the face of the planet.

I'll gladly trade a few CS for denying first blood and keeping my jungle untilted and probably a little more willing to gank my Lane when needed instead of being pissed off at me and refusing to touch it

Umbreon fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 6, 2019

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Ah yes, my favorite mechanic to use when playing around champion abilities, the "don't be in range at all" mechanic.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

Why do we even have crit chance for ranged champs? +500 damage with a <1 second CD with no counter other than "don't get clicked on" is so bullshit

Zhonyas, randuins, armor in general?

Verviticus posted:

the idea that every individual ability in the game requires counterplay is bad as poo poo

Why?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Verviticus posted:

its extremely and very pointlessly limiting. champions with strong point and click abilities exist and have existed and the game is still good and those champions are still good

furthermore, those abilities are easier to use and league is one of the least approachable games in the world. limiting yourself to skillshot design makes it worse

Alright, I think I see where you're going with this. In that case, let me ask you this:

Would blitzcrank be overpowered if his Q was a point-and-click ability? Why or why not?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
You guys basically just reiterated riots reasoning for systematically getting rid of point and click abilities, especially ones with CC. Said abilities are extremely strong and eat up huge amounts of a champs power budget, which drastically reduces the cool and fun stuff that can be done with the rest of their kit.

Y'all can argue about it and complain, but point and click cc and most ranged offensive point and click skills are on their way out regardless of your opinion on the matter, for the reasons listed above. Hell, I guarantee you if fid gets a rework, he's losing at least one point and click, if not more

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

what kind of stupid argument is that. nobody is saying "riot is not going to remove the unit target abilities", we are saying it is a bad thing if they do that.

That's a statement, not an argument. I'm saying why they have been doing it and why they are going to continue to do it even if you think it's bad.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

one can not improve on perfection. not only was shurelya pound for pound the best designer league ever had, but she made well elaborates on video tutorials that taught concepts to players instead of just being a way to show off how good the guy making the video is

I don't know if she made a video about it, but I recall her making AD Sona a thing for a while, which I thought was really stupid until someone linked a video of their match with her doing it. I was a wee newbie at the time and my inexperienced little mind was not ready for such carnage

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

Riot is just about Flavor of the Month and what sells the most skins. Trundle has been a fun and rewarding champion to play when he isn't beaten into the ground, but I guess didn't sell enough skins. They've always shy away from natural counters and would rather just nerf what's strong rather than having natural counters and evolving metas.

Natural counters are not exactly a good solution, seeing as you can just ban them. Or just be a late pick and your natural counters are in roles that have already been picked.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

Natural counters are great if there's enough of them, instead of just static OP champions every patch. Taric/Sona meta wouldn't have been so miserable if things like Xin/Nami could have just countered them.

My go-to example is when Ziggs was becoming meta in bot lane, and other people started playing other mages against it and instead they just hit Ziggs so hard he couldn't show up bottom again so we just reverted back to the standard like four ADC champions in bottom lane again.

I don't think that's feasible. To have enough champions to ensure just one champion can always be naturally countered by another champion pick, you would need at least one champ in each role who could do it due to late picks, plus another champ or two to get past the natural counter vulnerable champ's player coordinating his team banning the natural counters.

That's also skipping the fact that "naturally being countered" feels absolutely miserable and unfun, as outside massive differences in skill between the players, getting countered by someone even halfway competent at their champ means you are either almost functionally useless for a significant portion of the match or will feed the enemy team a bunch of gold as you reverse snowball.(or both)

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I have been playing this game since lux came out and I have definitely lost my cool and called people retarded before, more than once.

Not once have I even seen a warning, let alone a restriction

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Elephunk posted:

I said human being once ("you type like a human being", classy, I know) and skipped the chatban and went right to a two-week full ban.

I think if I get reported for anything at all at this point, no matter how small, I lose the account. Pretty sure that status won't ever lift, either

I've done the same, though I may not have been reported for it (it was directed towards my brother, and we've been calling each other that since shortly after we were born and would never say it to anyone else)

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I'm going to need you guys to post some more words about morg jungle because this is interesting me in ways that it really shouldn't

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Toxic Mental posted:

lol Imagine playing jungle morg and during gank you miss her Q and then you’re just useless sitting there tagging the enemy laner with 15 damage from W

Morgana jungle is countered by wards. Don’t play that poo poo.

Does her R not count?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I used to main Rammus for a long time, then people figured out that buying a QSS just deletes him from the game and so I had to go with somebody else outside of special cases like four or five AD on the enemy team or something

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Servaetes posted:

Absolutely would, yes. I'm imagining coming out of the jungle to gank overextended botlaners with my level 6 ability and oh I got hit with Ashe and Naut R

Do you just not gank bot after the enemy laners hit 6?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Dreading the day that they rework rammus for the crime of having a point and click stun.

It's a taunt, not a stun, but I would be totally down for this if they make it so that you have to aim his taunt somehow and give it bigger range/duration.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

It being a taunt just means they take a buttload of damage from your shell while they are stunned.

The most critical part of a taunt is the fact that you can pull your target with you into a better position for you, especially if they are melee. Pulling a melee champ from under their turret range for example, or simply just pulling someone back after you gank them to make it so they have to run further to get back to safety and give your laner more time to attack them

Umbreon fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 18, 2020

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Barudak posted:

We've decided the problem with Shyvana is that her fantasy in dragon form isn't being met, so we slapped on a rockin pair of draconian titties.

You say that as if they really wouldn't do it or that it wouldn't make the skins sell like hotcakes

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Just made it back into gold myself. I got a little curious and started of recording some stats about my matches, here's what I got out of the last 20 before I made it into gold:

8 matches had someone hard inting, rage quitting, or otherwise performing actions that were intentionally trying to sabotage the match and force our team to lose. Note that I'm not talking about having a bad game or a really unfortunate disconnect, only matches where the person actively admit they were trying to force our team to lose or admit they were quitting on purpose. Of those 8 matches, one of them was a victory despite the guy that was trying to go for touchdowns in the enemy fountain. Rest were losses.

One match had an early disconnector, but it wasn't on purpose. They never came back, but we pushed through and wound up getting the enemy team to surrender 10 minutes later. How did they lose? Post game chat showed they were very obviously infighting and blaming each other and spending more time typing than actually playing.

My current record for instant feedback reports in a single day is four. Happened during these 20 matches. Highlight was a singed top who called me a retard who lost his lane for him because I wouldn't gank for him. When I pointed out that I had literally could not help him because he was deep into the enemy jungle and dying in between their towers, he said it was still my fault for not helping him. The instant feedback report for that one was particularly delicious.

5 matches were matches where we were horribly behind at one point due to teammates feeding (but not because of me, more on that part later), but I did my best to stay positive and encourage my team and to stop fighting and blaming each other, and while they didn't always listen, in all five of those matches we wound up winning anyway by making a huge comeback.

6 matches in total were disasters early on due to my own performance, usually due to making one bad call early and getting reversed snowballed when the enemy team starts invading my jungle and counterganking me every chance they get. Of those 6 matches, 3 of them were victories. If I'm horribly behind, I ask my team for help or warn them that I need to stay back and farm and can't gank until I catch up. This actually has worked several times and gotten people to play safer and gave me time to catch up, which is mostly where those victories came from. (That and I main Warwick, so I frequently focus on ninja soloing objectives or stealing them, especially when behind. I apparently have the epic stealer tag on porofessor because I do it often enough)

I have been playing since Lux came out, and I haven't been warned, chat restricted, or chat banned yet. Staying cool is extremely important for avoiding tilt, both for yourself and your teammates. It is by far the most important skill in the game, way above CSing or anything else. I know that sounds stupid coming from a gold player and not a challenger main or something, but for what it's worth, I don't get any higher ranked than gold because I just don't play league enough to try for it. Everyone gets rage quitters, intentional feeders, and unfortunate disconnects, which massively increases the amount of matches you have to win to make up for it, and I just don't have the time for that poo poo. I hit gold and then go back to goofing around in normals.

E: forgot to mention these numbers actually put me at a 50% win rate, I only made it into gold because of the 21st match, a promo where I already had two free wins and just won once and that was it. I had failed two promos during the course of these matches.

Umbreon fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 8, 2022

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Gonna need you guys to post a link to whatever skins you're talking about

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

im just saying league would be much better if flash was an item you could buy, and there was turn speed to. right now its "League of casuals"

I know what you're doing but that doesn't make this post any less painful to read. :negative:

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

riot should add a soccer ball to summoners rift on each teams base that you can kick around but otherwise does nothing

This is Rammus after people start buying spell shields or take cleanse. He even has the skin for it and everything

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Barudak posted:

We won a game where my team threatened to report me for getting an S ranking and MVP on seraphine and went 8/1/7. My crime was going off to stop incoming slow pushes and turn them to our favor so we could then fight in mid.

At somepoint this is gonna gently caress me as I climb but right now in Plat nobody seems to get that having an inconclusive fight at mid is a win if your minions are taking towers while it happens.

Edit: Got an absolutely filthy triple kill under my tower because nobody seems to expect that I have ignite and I will flash and ignite to kill secure.

What do you like to build on her?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

el dingo posted:

The reason verv is saying that (other than new morde being totally awesome) is that when morde ults illaoi, all of her tentacles disappear which is a great interaction for morde. Bad morde interactions include: gangplank can eat an orange to escape. Mundo just shrugs it off with his passive

Because morde R counts as a displacement, Warwick Q(when held) also cancels morde R and puts it on cooldown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Warwick cannot be displaced while channeling his Q. If morde tries to ult Warwick while he's in the middle of holding Q, mordes ult will fail and do nothing, instead it just goes on cool down. There's also another hidden effect, a 20% chance the morde will accuse you of scripting if they realize you did that on purpose.