Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just noticed, that one nazi in the intro doesn't have an accent when he switches to English.

That's kinda neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

If anyone gets offended at the game because of the ad and its treatment of nazis

Boy
I cant even begin to explain how the gently caress a person can think that

I like the interview where they ask the head of marketing of Bethesda if he thinks this game might be kicking a political hornet's nest, and he goes 'Yeah, but the nest is full of Nazis, and gently caress those guys.'

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

When did you LP Infinite Warfare?

I forgot that game existed.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lazyfire posted:

BJ is awesome.

One thing the new Wolf pulls off is making it feel like the enemy is a real threat with a lot of real power to throw around while still emphasizing that you're achieving stuff by being a brutal nazi-murderer.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cythereal posted:

BJ's developing a real talent for not finishing the job. Failed to kill her when he had the chance, failed to blow up the Nazi sky cruiser when he was on board.

The reason he failed to kill her was because a giant robot threw her over a cliffside.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I love the floral Kreisau 'uniform'.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I remember a review of Velvet Assassin that was like "Man, they're nazis, we know they're bad, you don't have to make up the SS giving a madman control of a battalion of convicted rapists and murderers to let loose on occupied peoples so you can make them seem worse."

Except you know, Oskar Dirlewanger was completely real, and they did exactly that. Any time someone thinks they're exaggerating about the Nazis, they're usually not.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GunnerJ posted:

IIRC this was a guy so bad even the SS was like "what the gently caress, dude" and kicked him out of the clubhouse.

They may've considered him distasteful but he stayed in command and kept getting medals and participating in mass slaughters until he went into hiding in 45, was captured, and was probably beaten to death by his guards in a POW camp.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Maybe I missed it, but how did the resistance get to and from the state building if everything near ground level was lethally radioactive?

They weren't worried about the Nazis shooting down their choppers, they were worried Grace's people would shoot down their choppers (assuming them to be Nazis) unless they got someone to make contact and tell them the choppers were Kreisau.

E: I was confused about that when I played for myself, too, but it makes sense now.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Poil posted:

How did the resistance even manage to hide in such an obvious location anyway? If even one nazi commander was smart enough to check it

Wyatt addressed this in game 1: "The one good thing about Nazis is, they really are that stupid."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Chillgamesh posted:

The "white-rear end fascist pigs" line from BJ was obviously him trying on Grace's shoes before deciding they don't fit and it was hilarious.

BJ's fundamental decency despite being a kill machine is one of the best parts of his character.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Chillgamesh posted:

I could honestly imagine him as a Mr. Rogers-type, if it weren't for all the goddamn Nazis what need killin'

The main thing he dreams of is a world where none of what he does is necessary and he can just be happy raising a family. He is an FPS protagonist who dearly, dearly wishes there was no FPS.

There is, though, so lotta things you can do with a hatchet and a nazi.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Donkringel posted:

What happened with the Holocaust in this series? Is that ever addressed?

It went through. They're still killing everyone they can get hold of.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BJ, especially, has always been clear to everyone he's a champion, not a leader. He can lead a squad or make a speech sometimes, but he himself doesn't even want to be the guy making plans and recognizes he's not great at it, too.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GunnerJ posted:

Well, I'm asking whether the scene was just supposed to be about Engels personally being stupid. I take it as given that she is even if there's more to it than that. :v:

Multiple nazis comment on how Aryan BJ looks.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I like the touch that Max actually has quite a few talents, he just has speech problems and a little developmental difficulty.

I think the paint jobs on the choppers are meant to be his. :3:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also note: The wanted poster refuses to admit BJ has blonde hair, calling it 'light red brown'.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The next part is one of my favorite parts in the game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

berryjon posted:

And this is what raises Wolfenstein above all the other shooters out there.

The story. And BJ being BJ.

I bought the first game because I was like 'Man slide-tackling nazis while firing two automatic shotguns looks rad' and I instead stuck around for 'slide tackling nazis while firing two automatic shotguns while playing as a bunch of believable, if crazy, people stuck in a lovely situation is even better'

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Donkringel posted:

Why did they all run? They didnt know Bj had a nuke... or doea Terror Billy warrant an evac to Venus?

"BJ has decided to kill you." is one of few situations where "I would not like to be on the same planet anymore." is a perfectly reasonable response.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also the Ausmerzer has a significant automated defense system that would make it hard for him to destroy it with its own weapons, and he didn't exactly bring a nuclear explosive or anything else with him to scuttle it with.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I missed how rocking the courtroom fight background music is because I was so busy trying not to die the first time I was in there.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's an intentional plot point that the Nazis are generally wrong as hell about any of the underlying principles of the Da'at Yichud stuff they stole, have never really managed to figure it out, and probably never will. Their various iterations on it came because Deathshead had enough people who were good enough engineers to replicate and iterate a little from the designs even if they couldn't understand why it worked, exactly; I mean he's spouting off comically wrong bullshit about phrenology and racially stunted biology while you're fighting your way to him in TNO, for gently caress's sake. Him and his whole lab full of 'get the base idea wrong but can produce a working laser cannon' nazis dying in the end of TNO was a big deal for exactly that reason.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Really Pants posted:

His German was godawful in The Old Blood, but he has had almost two decades to...learn by osmosis I guess

He speaks it badly and with an accent, but it's pretty clear he understands it fine.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Coco13 posted:

Something I think is pretty brilliant in this level is how in most video games, when you hear your wife under gunfire or the escape vehicle is stuck, that generally becomes the next objective. Here, that's purely world building stuff going on in the background.

If Anya says she's good, BJ trusts she's good because he trusts her.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tempest_56 posted:

I really like that - it's sensible, too. Through the whole first game and the first couple acts of this one I kept expecting them to kill Anya off for cheap drama. It's been a wonderful surprise that instead she's a massive badass who's still running commando operations while in her late second trimester.

God help any Nazis left when those kids get old enough to hold a hatchet.

It's also foreshadowed by her talking to Caroline about training to be a combat operative in game 1, as well as the diary about her wide array of more covert serial-killer style nazi murdering. Anya and BJ are both exceptionally good killers.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lazyfire posted:

So are demons from hell and whatever the enemies in Commander Keen are. BJ is apparently the patriarch of a very extensive line of video game heroes.

Wait, BJ is Doom Marine's ancestor?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It'll kill more nazis, so that sounds just fine.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

tarbrush posted:

And then just randomly invited a bunch of poorly vetted American actors to join them

A man who looks like a walrus and who was just out for milkshakes? What threat could he be?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I missed his finished mural my first time through. It's amazing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I adore that he thinks of this movie as his great masterwork as an artist and forces people to claim he painted the great works from history.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kopijeger posted:

Even funnier: back in the first game she did very little action stuff, being mostly mission control and doing intelligence work for the Kreisau circle. Somehow she becomes a more powerful fighter when she should become less physically capable.

They did mention she was training for a combat role all through the first game and she's an experienced assassin already, from her serial killing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Apparently that band saved a studio member from being mugged and they felt they owed them, or so I've heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

sleepy.eyes posted:

I have to ask, what's with Anya stripping all of a sudden?

Her clothes were on fire.

• Locked thread